Author Topic: Sivaprakasam Pillai Day - 12.01.2013  (Read 1705 times)

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
Sivaprakasam Pillai Day - 12.01.2013
« on: January 12, 2013, 08:49:03 AM »
Today, the 12th January 2013 is the liberation day of Sivaprakasam Pillai.  Mr. Pillai (1875-1948) was a graduate in philosophy
and he was an officer in the Revenue Department of Collectorate of South Arcot District, of Madras Presidency.

He first met Sri Bhagavan in the year 1902.  He is best remembered for his role in getting Sri Bhagavan write down His teachings on
Self Inquiry, later published as Who am I? (Nan Yaar?). As of today this is the booklet published in several languages, and several
reprints have since come in each language. It was written in essay form though in original it was in the form of question and answers.

Sri Pillai has written a number of poems on Sri Bhagavan's Grace to him. Sri Ramana Padamalai and Sri Ramana Deva Malai are quite
popular. He describes his experiences and feeling about the Maharshi in his verse biography Sri Ramana Charita
Ahaval.

Some passages are given below from Sri Ramana Charita Ahaval:

Even though the people who approach you with restless and tired minds are sinners without devotion, like a mother who comforts
her child on seeing its suffering, you melt with love, comfort their disconsolate minds with eyes full of compassion. You become the
father and mother of those who approach you. You give them food, generate knowledge in them and in this way destroy their misery.

With kind words, you said, 'The meaning of the word 'I' is the one reality that exists as supreme bliss, as Knowledge. It is
indestructible, and although it is within the fleshy body, it is still different from it. If you desire to know this supreme essence, you
must first get rid of the attachment that takes the body as 'I' and then enquire, 'Who am I?' If one repeatedly dives within, like a
pearl diver searching for the pearl, one can know oneself, one's true nature. This Self Knowledge is liberation.

The Supreme Lord has assumed a human body as an act of grace and resides in Arunachala under the name Ramana. Ramanadeva,
if people of the world say that you too are a human being like us, that is the same as describing the dense rain filled clouds as mere
smoke cloud.

It is possible for my one mouth to describe your glories? No one is capable of describing your glories unless you yourself reveal
them through your grace. You have raised me as your devotee. Somehow, please do not  throw me away on account of my
unworthiness. Ramanadeva, kindly make me submissive to you.

Ramana Sadguru, Supreme Self! Like a deer trapped in a net, not knowing the way to escape, I fall at your feet again, saying,
'Your feet alone are my refuge'. By answering, 'There is no need to get agitated' you freed me from fear and saved me. In this way
you became my Lord, my father and my mother.

On Pillai's passing away, a telegram was sent to Sri Bhagavan, conveying the news. After seeing the telegram, Sri Bhagavan said
in Tamizh "Sivaprakasam has become Sivaprakasam", that is, Sivaprakasam Pillai has become the light of Siva, thus confirming
Mr. Pillai's liberation.

Arunachala Siva.             

Ravi.N

• View Profile
Re: Sivaprakasam Pillai Day - 12.01.2013
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2013, 10:14:23 PM »
Subramanian,
Thanks very much for reminding us of sivaprakasam pillai!What a great soul and how utterly humble!Just to think of this great one brings us Blessings.A few days back,I received a small book as a gift from Sri sundaram of annamalai swami Trust.It is Sri Bhagavan's ulladu narpadhu-with sri sivaprakasam pillai's commentary.I warmly recommend this book to all who know tamizh.
In his foreword,Sri pillai writes with great humility:

"The value and Greatness of this scripture which, without using the name Brahman,expounds the Brahma swarupa and the way to realize it and attain moksha in a  concise manner,is not within the reach of my intelligence.In my eagerness,to see if I write the meaning of the words in these verses I may get to understand atleast to some extent the true import,I have dared to write this commentary for my benefit ".

We are deeply indebted to this great devotee for eliciting the wonderful 'nAn yAr' from Sri Bhagavan.
Namaskar.

Jewell

• Love,always love and only love
    • View Profile
Re: Sivaprakasam Pillai Day - 12.01.2013
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2013, 11:32:43 PM »
Quote from Sri Subramanian:
It is possible for my one mouth to describe your glories? No one is capable of describing your glories unless you yourself reveal
them through your grace. You have raised me as your devotee. Somehow, please do not  throw me away on account of my
unworthiness. Ramanadeva, kindly make me submissive to you.

Ramana Sadguru, Supreme Self! Like a deer trapped in a net, not knowing the way to escape, I fall at your feet again, saying,
'Your feet alone are my refuge'. By answering, 'There is no need to get agitated' you freed me from fear and saved me. In this way
you became my Lord, my father and my mother.

Dear Sri Subramanian sir,

How Beautiful,Beautiful words! And more than that! 

Thank You so much!

Ramana Sadguru my Lord!
My Father,my Mother,my Friend,my Beloved,
Supreme Self!

With love and prayers,