Author Topic: Koodara Valli: 27th day of Tamizh Margazhi  (Read 1360 times)

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
Koodara Valli: 27th day of Tamizh Margazhi
« on: January 11, 2013, 10:58:39 AM »
கூடாரை வெல்லும் சீர் கோவிந்தா உந்தன்னைப்
பாடிப் பறை கொண்டு யாம் பெறும் சம்மானம்
நாடு புகழும் பரிசினால் நன்றாகச்
சூடகமே தோள் வளையே தோடே செவிப் பூவே
பாடகமே என்றனைய பலகலனும் யாம் அணிவோம்
ஆடை உடுப்போம் அதன் பின்னே பாற் சோறு
மூட நெய் பெய்து முழங்கை வழி வாரக்
கூடி இருந்து குளிர்ந்தேலோர் எம்பாவாய்

Today the 27th day of Tamizh month, Margazhi, is called Koodara Valli day, by the Sri Vaishnavites. This is after the 27th
verse of Tiruppavai, where Andal says: 'O Govinda! You will conquer those who are not with you (haters, enemies etc.,)!
But we are your servitors. We shall sing your praises and shall get all gifts and boons. We shall celebrate this occasion
today. We shall wear nice dresses, and ornament ourselves, with Choodakam ( a shoulder ornament), bangles (on the wrists),
thodu (ear stud), sevipoo (another flower like ornament that runs from the upper ear to the stud). We shall then feast ourselves with
sweet pongal, where there will be generous quantity of ghee, (which shall drain on our forearms when we eat with relish).
We shall be together, all your servitors, El Or empaavai!       

The words koodaarai vellum - one who conquers those who are not with Him, became Koodara Valli!

I remember my Srivilliputtur years where I studied Class 7, 8,9, and 10. And we were living in a street called Vazhaikulam street,
where all but our family were families of Sri Vaishnavites. The street was full of girl children from these households. Andal,
Kodhai, Alamelu, Ranganayaki, Janaki -- these names were quite common and at least there were two girls with the same
name! This day, they will prepare this Sweet Pongal and they will also give it to my mother. My mother  also started preparing
sweet pongal on this day. My youngest sister who was born when we were there was named Andal.

Arunachala Siva.