Author Topic: Best opportunity to do self enquiry  (Read 1388 times)

sanjaya_ganesh

• View Profile
Best opportunity to do self enquiry
« on: January 03, 2013, 08:14:43 PM »
Dear Friends

Nochur Acharya describes some situations as best opportunities to do self enquiry. These are occassions when "I" thought is most pronoounced. The most suitable time is when extreme anger (rage) or extreme hurt takes place inside you. They are termed by Acharya as most suitable because these are those rare occassions when only ONE THOUGHT exists - "I am hurt", "Why me", "I am offended", "I"... "I"...."I"... He goes on to advise that if you are able to at that stop all activities and burning urge to respond / react / fight and then ask "Who am I that is getting hurt" with the single pointed thought "I" being most prominent - you easily get a glimpse of the source. And he advises to use every such rare opportunity where ego is MOST HURT to catch the culprit at source. On a lighter note, he goes on to say that such situations create rage because ego hates them. So such situations are enemies of ego. Our enemy is also ego. So my enemy's enemy must be my friend :).  (If you have heard Nochur Acharya, you know - he gives his innocent burst of smile at this point).

Obviously, this is my own translation of his beautiful words in Malayalam. I am sure I have done a very bad job in translating and reproducing it here - but I wish and hope the core is not missed out.

Source: From sessions in my home town in Kerala by Nochur Acharya

Regards
Sanjay
« Last Edit: January 03, 2013, 08:18:33 PM by sanjaya_ganesh »
Salutations to Bhagawan

Jewell

• Love,always love and only love
    • View Profile
Re: Best opportunity to do self enquiry
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2013, 08:53:54 PM »
Dear Sri Sanjay, Beautiful post. Yes,indeed,these moments are mos helpful,coz of strong response and feeling. Those are golden moments,and if we really know to use them,they can open the gate. I even used one tehnique,when i am hurt or angry,i take that emotion with all my being,get into rage,whole,become that feeling. And then,miracles start happening,sudenly that emotion is gone. And every time,it goes more quickly than before. Well,it is little different. But,like You said,if we are aware in that moment,the door opens. Best time for self inquiry indeed. Thank You Very much! With love and prayers,

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2013, 07:54:01 AM »
Dear sanjaya,

Nochur used to say: Even though ego is not easily controlled, but when there is a need, we try to suppress it. For example,
when your boss is shouting  at you in the office, you grin and bear with it. Because if you resist or shout back, you will lose
your job. But in a hotel, when a server brings not very hot coffee, you shout at him.

Arunachala Siva.

atmavichar100

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2013, 05:21:51 PM »
Nochur Acharya describes some situations as best opportunities to do self enquiry. These are occassions when "I" thought is most pronoounced. The most suitable time is when extreme anger (rage) or extreme hurt takes place inside you.

Also when u misplace some important document /object and really frustrated/agitated  where you kept it is a good time to test our self awareness :)
Today I had a test of the same .I had kept an important Govt. Document in a folder  and thought I had kept it in a safe place .Tomorrow I had to take it the Govt.Office and casually went to the the place where I had kept it but was shocked to see it not there . I check the other alternative places and it was not there and I got very frustrated going through many of my files and folders and it was not there .I really got agitated as I remember keeping it quite safely . Then I remembered this thread and considered it as test for myself :) So I dropped my search , went to my Prayer Altar , completed my daily short Shiva Puja and then Chanted Siva Sahasranama Stotram ( I do it daily but when I cant do it in morning ,I do it in evening ) and had a good prayer session and after that went straight to my desk and opened a folder that I had never seen earlier and Lo that Document was there in that folder  :)
I had checked all the folders except that  particular folder but I got the idea of the same only after cooling myself with the prayer  :)

Om Peace .
However many holy words you read, however many you speak, what good will they do you if you do not act on upon them? - Buddha

atmavichar100

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2013, 06:05:20 PM »
Suppose at the moment when "Hurt Takes Place"
you make no attempt to change the state.
The mind is allowed to remain as it is.
Just Recognize ... Exactly at that moment ... that there is a Still Presence, the "I AM"...
Mind goes on ... on and on ... and tup! Drops!

You do not try to make any attempt. Just make sure you do not say "I am troubled"... The "Feelings" remain. The Thoughts remain... just dont drag them onto yourself by saying "i am uncomfortable now"... and remaining as "I AM"... allow all that ...

have you ever tried this ?

Tushnim
I appreciate what you are trying to convey .
What I was trying to convey was that when you are agitated / disturbed , do not allow the mind to become overtly "reactive" and start blaming others for the problem ( even if others are the cause for your problem directly / indirectly ) and I choose the route of doing some chanting to cool myself and get back to the business of searching my misplaced document and got it .
Some people can do what you suggest and get back .
Om Peace .
However many holy words you read, however many you speak, what good will they do you if you do not act on upon them? - Buddha