Author Topic: New member, doubts on bhagwan's teaching  (Read 1456 times)

silence

• View Profile
New member, doubts on bhagwan's teaching
« on: December 29, 2012, 12:48:37 PM »
Namaste,

I am a new member from India  and find it hard to understand self inquiry. Bhagwan says, ask who am I. I am assuming this isn't something you keep asking but simply a way to focus on the I thought. But when I try, there is no I thought but only blankness. Do I just remain in this blank state, then?

It is confusing. What exactly am I supposed to do?

Thanks,
Silence

Nagaraj

• View Profile
Re: New member, doubts on bhagwan's teaching
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2012, 02:33:08 PM »
But when I try, there is no I thought but only blankness. Do I just remain in this blank state, then?
It is confusing. What exactly am I supposed to do?

Sri silence, :) welcome to forum, you are able to say that there is just blankness, and you also ask, whether you just remain in that blank state - this, you must be able to say so only because you must different from that blankness, in the line of teachings of Bhagavan, it is advised to pursue with enquiring who is it that is witnessing this black state, when you ask this question, the answer would follow, I am witnessing the blankness, who am I, this has to be sought.

Do not try hard, please see the following conv. with Bhagavan:

D.: Even so, I do not understand. 'I', you say, is the wrong 'I' now. How to eliminate this wrong 'I'?

You need not eliminate the wrong 'I'. How can 'I' eliminate itself? - All that you need do is to find out its origin and abide there. Your efforts can extend only thus far. Then the Beyond will take care of itself. You are helpless there. No effort can reach it.

If you do not know how to proceed, just allow the nature to take the course.

Harih Om

॥ शांतमात्मनि तिष्ट ॥
Remain quietly in the Self.
~ Vasishta

Jewell

• Love,always love and only love
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2012, 06:15:12 PM »
Dear silence, When You come to that blank state,even then,You still know that You Are. You can try to hold to that knowledge,to look at it,to be one with it. Or,You can observe the one who observes blank state,observer itself. For me,most easiest was to repeat mentaly,I-I-I,not just mere repeating,but trying to bring all atention to that I,to be that I,to be one with it,to literaly look at it. I say I-I,and then try to get hold of that I,that knowledge that I am. It is good if You can hold that I even for second. With love and prayers,

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2012, 06:23:03 PM »
Dear silence,

When you reach the state of blankness, do not stop, continue your vichara. Then the blankness will disappear and bliss
will prevail. You can read Vivekachudamani where the disciple asked the identical question and Sri Sankara advised like this.
Sri Bhagavan also advised the same when some devotees reported blankness. This is available in Talks.

Arunachala Siva.     

Nagaraj

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2012, 06:23:14 PM »
Silence,

this may be of interest to you -

Who is this witness? You speak of “witness.” There must be an object and a subject to witness. These are creations of the mind. The idea of witness is in the mind. If there was the witness of oblivion did he say, “I witness oblivion”? You, with your mind, said just now that there must be a witness. Who was the witness? You must reply “I.” Who is that “I” again? You are identifying yourself with the ego and say “I.” Is this ego “I,” the witness? It is the mind that speaks. It cannot be witness of itself. …

The whole position becomes thus untenable. Consciousness is unlimited. On becoming limited it simply arrogates to itself the position. There is really nothing to witness. IT is simple BEING.

(Talks)

॥ शांतमात्मनि तिष्ट ॥
Remain quietly in the Self.
~ Vasishta

Beloved Abstract

• View Profile
    • David Ford Art
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2012, 06:33:26 PM »
silence , welcome
the next time you are in this "blankness" see if you can find the boundary between you and the blankness .
 :)
simply stop telling the story of the self and see who you are without it

paul

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2012, 02:37:21 AM »
Dear Silence, I don’t think there is a right or wrong answer to your question. What works for one person does not necessarily work for another. So as well as the advice given here continue searching. The arunachala-ramana.org website is a good place to start. I can give you my view, which is based on a technique, given by Bhagavan himself on a number of occasions. Others have made reference to it in replies to your post.
The first reference to it is given in:

Who Am I ? (Nan Yar ?)
The Teachings of Bhagavan Sri Ramana Maharshi.

9. What is the path of inquiry for understanding the nature of the mind?

That which rises as ‘I’ in this body is the mind. If one inquires as to where in the body the thought ‘I’ rises first, one would discover that it rises in the heart. That is the place of the mind’s origin. Even if one thinks constantly ‘I’ ‘I’, one will be led to that place. Of all the thoughts that arise in the mind, the ‘I’ thought is the first. It is only after the rise of this that the other thoughts arise. It is after the appearance of the first personal pronoun that the second and third personal pronoun appear; without the first personal pronoun there will not be the second and third.

The second reference I found is given in:

Ramana Maharshi: His Life
A biography by Gabriele Ebert.

An extract taken from pages 128 and 129

Sometimes devotees would not ask their questions orally, preferring to write them down on a slip of paper. Once a simple woman had written to him, “I am not learned in the Scriptures and I find the method of Self-enquiry too hard for me. I am a woman with seven children and a lot of household cares, and it leaves me little time for meditation. I request Bhagavan to give me some simpler and easier method.” Sri Ramana gave her the following practical advice, “No learning or knowledge of Scriptures is necessary to know the Self, as no man requires a mirror to see himself. All knowledge is required only to be given up eventually as not-Self. Nor is household work or cares with children necessarily an obstacle. If you can do nothing more, at least continue saying ‘I,I’ to yourself mentally all the time, as advised in ‘Who am I?’, whatever work you may be doing and whether you are sitting, standing or walking. ‘I’ is the name of God. It is the first and greatest of all mantras. Even OM is second to it.”

The third reference, of all places, is in a song composed by Bhagavan. I have listed the third verse:

The Song of the Poppadum.

3. In the Heart-mortar place the dough. And with the mind-pestle
Inward-turned, pound it hard with strokes of ‘I-I’,
Then flatten it with the rolling pin of stillness on the level slab
of Being. Work away, untiring, steady, cheerful.
Make poppadums, just try — and these
Eat, your longing to satisfy!

Arunachala will also help:

Lord Siva said: “What cannot be acquired without great pains – the true import of Vedanta (Self-Realization) – can be attained by anyone who looks at (this hill). from where it is visible or even mentally thinks of it from afar.” - Arunachala Mahatmyam (Skanda Purana)
There are plenty of pictures of Arunachala on the website for you to look at. You just need faith.

I hope it will help.
Paul.