Author Topic: Why we should read the Bhagavat Geeta or other spiritual books even if we can't  (Read 1219 times)

atmavichar100

• View Profile
Why we should read the Bhagavat Geeta or other spiritual books even if we can't understand it -

http://jasrajsangani.blogspot.in/

An old farmer lived on a farm in the mountains with his young grandson. Each morning, Grandpa was up early sitting at the kitchen table reading his Bhagavat Geeta.

His grandson wanted to be just like him and tried to imitate him in every way he could.

One day the grandson asked, "Grandpa! I try to read the Bhagawat Geeta just like you but I don't understand it, and what I do understand, I forget as soon as I close the book. What good does reading the Bhagawat Geeta do?"

The Grandfather quietly turned from putting coal in the stove and replied, "Take this coal basket down to the river and bring me back a basket of water."

The boy did as he was told, but all the water leaked out before he got back to the house.

The grandfather laughed and said, "You'll have to move a little faster next time," and sent him back to the river with the basket to try again. This time the boy ran faster, but again the basket was empty before he returned home. Out of breath, he told his grandfather that it was impossible to carry water in a basket, and he went to get a bucket instead.

The old man said, "I don't want a bucket of water; I want a basket of water. You're just not trying hard enough," and he went out the door to watch the boy try again.

At this point, the boy knew it was impossible, but he wanted to show his grandfather that even if he ran as fast as he could, the water would leak out before he got back to the house. The boy again dipped the basket into river and ran hard, but when he reached his grandfather the basket was again empty.

Out of breath, he said, "SEE.... it is useless!"

"So you think it is useless?" The old man said, "Look at the basket."

The boy looked at the basket and for the first time realized that the basket was different. It had been transformed from a dirty old coal basket and was now clean, inside and out.

"Son, that's what happens when you read the Bhagavat Geeta or any other other piritual books You might not understand or remember everything, but when you read it, you will be changed, inside and out. That is the work of Lord Krishna or other saints and Gods in our lives."

However many holy words you read, however many you speak, what good will they do you if you do not act on upon them? - Buddha

atmavichar100

• View Profile
Today I saw in another blog the above story and how reading Gita daily really helped the blogger in his/her personal sadhana .
In fact this is what the blogger shared
Bhagavad Gita is not the only scripture to read. You can pickup any book which is guiding you in this line. The advantage of Bhagavad Gita is everything is not given straight. We have to make out the lessons. In that way, it unconsciously makes us think on those points and helps us to contemplate and follow it in our life.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2013, 07:51:42 PM by atmavichar100 »
However many holy words you read, however many you speak, what good will they do you if you do not act on upon them? - Buddha

atmavichar100

• View Profile
A few weeks back I heard a famous Tamil writer talk about his experience on reading Bhagavad Gita .He said that he started reading Bhagavad Gita from the age of 40 and now he is 65+ and what he understood at age 40 was different from what he understood of it at age 50 and now at 65+ he is understanding of Gita is more refined and mature .
I feel This applies not just to Bhagavad Gita but also any scripture or any other spiritual books . Sometimes things take time to bring the required clarity that is needed but we must not loose hope and continue to keep reading the spiritual works of great masters very regularly .
For me "Living by the words of Bhavagan" is always fresh and inspiring every time I read it  and each time I read I get a new insight .
« Last Edit: July 03, 2013, 10:36:59 AM by atmavichar100 »