Author Topic: Vaikunta Ekadasi - 23/24.12.2012  (Read 2789 times)

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
Vaikunta Ekadasi - 23/24.12.2012
« on: December 23, 2012, 04:15:08 PM »
Vaikunta Ekadasi is the Sukla Paksha Ekadasi (11th waxing moon-digit day) of the month of Margazhi. On this day,
people who believe in the age old practice, fast for the full day and then go to a Maha Vishnu temple and cross over the
portal specially made up with all alankaram - called the Parama Padam, symbolic of Abode of Maha Vishnu. On crossing over,
they pray to Mahavishnu with Sri Devi and Bhoo Devi kept with all flowery arrangements and adornments. The fasting is broken
next day, that is, Dwadasi day in the morning. This is called pArana.  In Pandaripuram the Ekadasi in the month of Aadi (July-Aug)
is observed more specially. On that day, devotees with full fast on that day, go and have darshan of Panduranga.

There is one story in Bhakta Vijayam: Saint Tukaram was invited by Panduranga who had come in a chariot, to come with Him to
Parama Padam. He said: No, I would not like to join you. I prefer to be in this earth praising your glory. This Pandaripur
is my Vaikuntam.         

Vaikunta Ekadasi is day of solemn prayers and fasting and not a day of celebration.

Arunachala Siva.

Nagaraj

• View Profile
Re: Vaikunta Ekadasi - 23/24.12.2012
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2012, 04:54:18 PM »
Ekadasi always reminds me of Ambarisa's fast, where Durvasa gets angry as Ambarisa had broken the fast as the moment to break the fast neared, and when Durvasa then arrived had cursed Ambarisa out of his usual anger, then how Vishnu sends forth his Sudarshana Chakra upon Durvasa, none were able to save him, and only finally when he begged for the forgiveness of Ambarisa was he saved.

We see the Lord’s favour to His devotees in the case of Ambarisa and Durvasa. Durvasa wa a great sage and Ambarisa Maharaj was a king. While waiting for Durvasa and his followers to return from bathing so that he might honour them by giving them prasada, Ambarisa took a drop of water to observe the end of the Ekadasi fast. Durvasa became enraged considering that Ambarisa had insulted him by breaking his fast before serving him.

Durvasa summoned yogic fire to consume Ambarisa, but Ambarisa remained unharmed. Suddenly the Lord’s Sudarshan Chakra (disc weapon) appeared to punish Durvasa for persecuting the innocent Ambarisa, and Durvasa fled for fear of his life. Finally finding no escape, Durvasa entered Vaikuntha and pleaded with Narayana to withdraw His weapon. Lord Narayan addressed Durvasa thus. “You demand that you are a Brahmin and demand that you are a sannyasi, but you fled for fear of your life while Ambarisa, he did not even step back when you summoned fire with the intention of burning him. He did not even take one step back no, he stood firm and with humility, thinking “If I am a culprit then let the punishment come to me.”

He did not falter, but you – when my Sudarshan came to charge you – you were flying from this place to that, to all corners of the world, running for fear of your life. Then who holds the more dignified position, you or Ambarisa? You are a brahmin and he is a ksatriya, but you observed the Ekadasi vrata and on Dwadasi at the time of paran (break-fast) you showed respect to the Ekadasi vrata for me and he also only did that. He showed respect to me by properly observing the Ekadasi vrata but you thought he had dishonoured you. You are his guest and before feeding you he has taken a drop of water to observe the end of the Ekadasi day and he did it with conscience to me.

You yourself did that vrata and he also did that and only for me, not for self-gratification. But you could not tolerate, you thought that he had dishonoured you. So you say that you are a brahmin, very near to me and that he is a ksatriya, he is far off. He is a grihasta, and you are a sannyasi, you are nearer to me; but this is only fashion because practically Ambarisa is nearer to me. He is not afraid of receiving any punishment and even as we speak he is waiting for you. He is fasting, thinking, “My guest I have not fed. While Durvasa is running hither and thither, still unfed then how can I feed myself?” He is still standing, waiting and when you return he will feed you and only then will he take Prasad. What do you say? When my devotees have left everything and have surrendered fully to me then should I not protect them?

A little gratitude I must have? Or am I a slave to your formality? What do you think Durvasa? Go to him. You will have to go to him and see how magnanimous he is. Still unfed, standing waiting for you. Go and see?” After hearing this, Durvasa returned to Ambarisa and was able to appreciate his position. Ambarisa came to him with folded hands and like a criminal he began, “Oh what have I done? All these trouble have come to you brahmin, my guest, and only for my fault. I am the culprit, I am offender, please be propitiated by me.” And Durvasa fell flat at his feet, “Yes, you are so magnanimous. This is only possible for the devotees of Narayan. You are so great. We boast of our brahminic birth and our yogic attempt, but you, you are really the most magnanimous of all people we are far below.” And in this way Durvasa began,

aho ananta-dasanam
mahattvam drstam adya me
krtagaso ‘pi yad rajan
mangalani samihase
(Srimad Bhagavatam 9.5.14)

“I have seen the greatness of the servitors of the Anantadev, Sri Narayan. You are so magnanimous that although I am an offender you have prayed for me. You hold an unparalleled position in the whole universe.” In this way Durvasa began to preach. Durvasa whose very nature is to always find fault in others and give them punishment by his yogic power. That is his nature, but he began to sing the song in praise of the devotees like Ambarisa.

॥ शांतमात्मनि तिष्ट ॥
Remain quietly in the Self.
~ Vasishta

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2012, 05:37:01 PM »
Dear Nagaraj,

Nice. Ambareesh's charitam is one of the best in Srimad Bhagavatam. A humble man totally devoted to Narayana and he was
saved by Narayana eventually. Thank you very much. This reminds me of a poem by Arunagiri Nathar.

Arunachala Siva. 

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2012, 05:51:49 PM »
From Arunagiri Nathar's Kandar Alankaram:,

தோலாற் கவர்வைத்து நாலாறு காலிற் சுமத்தியிரு
காலா லெழுப்பி வளைமுது கோட்டிக்கைந் நாற்றிநரம்
பாலார்க்கை யிட்டுத் தசைகொண்டு மேய்ந்த அகம்பிரிந்தால்
வேலாற் கிரிதொளைத் தோனிடி தாளன்றி வேறில்லையே. 44

The skin is the wall. 4+6=10 kAl, Vayus, Dasa Varus run the show. Two legs have been give to stand up. There is back with
somewhat bent with spinal column. Two hands are given. With nerves it is built with flesh as the roofs and walls. In this if
prana or jiva leaves, then only that God who pierced the Krauncha Mountain with His javelin... His two feet are only my refuge.

Arunachala Siva.