Author Topic: Are the teachings of Ramana and that of Christianity (Bible) compatible?  (Read 1742 times)

Kicsi108

• View Profile
Namaste All,

I am from Europe and I have grown up in a Christian environment.
I am very interested in the teachings of Ramana (I have been to His Ashram once), too.
How can I unite the two (teachings of Ramana and that of the Bible)? Is it possible?

Thank you very much for your kind help in advance. :)

Jewell

• Love,always love and only love
    • View Profile
Re: Are the teachings of Ramana and that of Christianity (Bible) compatible?
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2012, 10:50:47 PM »
Dear Kicsi108,

I am also from Europe,and Christian too. But i never believed much in religious interpretation of the Bible. I only loved Jesus,and still love Him. After reading Bhagavan teachings,i find them same like Jesus teachings,with no diference in essence. They are already united,how i see it. Those teachings are one and the same Truth,no matter what is our religious backround. Bhagavan said You are the Self,and Jesus The kingdom of God is within You. Only diference is in expression,but both talk about ultimate Reality and the Truth,about Freedom,and that we are not what we think we are.

And uniting them in life is also the same thing. We can follow our own tradition the way we chose,because of respect to it,and to our familly. There is no harm,coz we know what that is. Bhagavan never recomended converting,coz there is no need. Well,You didnt asked that,but i mention it anyway.

With love and prayers,

Kicsi108

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2012, 11:02:38 PM »
Dear Jewel,

First, thank you very much for your answer! It clears some of my doubts and confusion. Thanks, really.
So... if we yet use "labels", are you also still Christian?

I have also read somewhere saying that the Bhagavad Gita (Ramana did recommend reading it, too) and the Bible are the same.
Furtheremore Ramana also suggested his non-hindu visitors, when asked, to remain in their own path (Christian, Muslim, etc.), no need to convert or "change" religion.

What do you (and others) think about this?

Jewell

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2012, 11:25:42 PM »
Dear Kicsi108,

Officialy i am Christian, i respect it because of my parents,familly. I dont follow some things,regulations,customs,which we,like Ortodox Christians even dont have. And there is many of them which are not religious by nature at all,but more pagan. It is because of specific things which happened on Balkan. We,my familly,only have three times in the year a family celebration,we call it Slava. We celebrate day of the Saint Archangel Michael and Gabriel,and one more. But,honestly,i dont feel like Christian,or anything,i respect it,like all other,and follow the teachings of Bhagavan silently. Only thing which links me to that is love of the Jesus,which can be there in any other way too,and respect for tradition. 

And about Bhagavad Gita and Bible,how much i read them,i dont think they are the same. They have same purpose,but i find them little different. Maybe because Bible the way we know it,is not complete by my thinking,it survived many changings.

Also,changing religion is only a choice,but for me,there is not particular need to call ourselfs this and that. The Truth is beyond all that. Freedom too.  :)

With love and prayers,

Kicsi108

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2012, 12:35:24 AM »
Dear Jewel,

Thanks for your reply again.

Ramana said that the Bhagavad Gita and the Bible (teachings of Jesus, New Testament) are the same - their essence is one. (The previous reference can be misunderstood. That's why I correct it now.)

God bless you,

Jewell

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2012, 02:01:42 AM »
Dear Kisci108, Yes,essence is the same. It is the same Truth,in both. You are right,the are different because of the of the Old Testament :),which is different in nature. But even our New testament is short for many theachings. God Bless You too. With love and prayers,

sanjaya_ganesh

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2012, 08:28:27 AM »
Why worry about comparing teachings when all you have to worry about is the goal ? Yes - would be a good topic for a thesis :)

Sanjay
Salutations to Bhagawan

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2012, 09:15:04 AM »
Dear Kicsi,

'The Kingdom of God is within you.'  It is the essence of Bible and Sri Bhagavan's teachings.

Arunachala Siva.

Kicsi108

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2013, 04:28:43 PM »
Thank you all for your kind answers as well as your patience. :)

Hari

• View Profile
    • Fundamental questions about mind
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2013, 01:11:19 AM »
There is a difference between Bhagavad Gita and Bible in other direction too. For Lord Jesus and His teachings the well being of the individual (physical, mental, business and so on) is very important. For the followers of eastern religion this seems materialistic. Bhagavad Gita is concerned more about liberation and has very little about the well-being of the body, except some parts about diet and so on. For followers of the Eastern thought the body is of no much importance but for the westerners and Lord Jesus Himself, the well-being of the body is as much important as the salvation (liberation) of soul (Self-realization).
« Last Edit: February 10, 2013, 01:13:05 AM by Hari »
Web Page dedicated to the Great Sages:
https://someoneelsebg.000webhostapp.com/Sages/HTML.html