Author Topic: Ribhu Gita - Discussions  (Read 8318 times)

atmavichar100

• View Profile
Ribhu Gita - Discussions
« on: December 18, 2012, 07:29:56 PM »
Dear Friends

Tushnim has started a thread on Ribhu Gita Readings . This text "Ribhu Gita " being a favorite text of Bhagwan Ramana ,I felt it deserved its own place for discussions and hence started this thread . Tushnim is putting some selected messages in the other thread and I will also add selected passages from the book "The Essence of Ribhu Gita " and I feel we can use this thread for discussions .

Om Peace .
However many holy words you read, however many you speak, what good will they do you if you do not act on upon them? - Buddha

atmavichar100

• View Profile
Re: Ribhu Gita - Discussions
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2012, 07:41:48 PM »
I would like to start with this first pointer I found in the Introduction to the text "Essence of Ribhu Gita "
Reading of this English text alone will not be complete unless it is supported by vigorous sadhana with the help of a realised teacher, who has obtained firm abidance in Siva-Self by a life of devotion to Lord Siva. This aspect is stressed in some of the verses selected.
However many holy words you read, however many you speak, what good will they do you if you do not act on upon them? - Buddha

atmavichar100

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2012, 12:13:12 PM »
I am just copy pasting from the other thread to carry discussions here .
By the way for me Chanting of Sahasranama's of Shiva /Vishnu / Lalitha Devi/Ganga Ma etc are not just to develop Bhakti but also to help me learn Sanskrit , develop more one pointedness of mind as you must be completely focused while chanting without diversion . As I have considerably reduced my visits to Temples and Religious places ,I invoke God in my home itself through these divine names as well as Chanting Stotras of the same composed by Adishankara ( for Sanskrit hymns ) and by  Bhgwan Ramana and other Tamil Saints for Tamil Hymns .
Also I have taken a stand that I will read /study a text seriously only after I commit to memory  the entire text or at least some chapters of the same .I failed to do that in the past and was studying the meaning in bits and pieces and got confused  :)  I am right now doing the same for Bhagwan's Hymns , Thiruppavai and also for Adi Shankara's Stotras and the same applies to Bigger texts like Bhagwad Gita /Upanishads /Ribhu Gita etc . This is a form of minimum commitment / seriousness to the subject of Study . Having desire / interest is one thing but having commitment is a different thing and I am making a slow transition  from interest to commitment  and for which I need the support of Ishwara and get his grace and hence this effort of daily chanting of divine text and divine names :)

Om Peace .

Dear Atmavichar,
       :) Commitment is an absolute must.
There is what is called vyavasayatmika buddhi explained in 2nd chapter of BG :)
These practises are all very useful, not the least doubt abt it.

Regarding Sanskrit. Have you gone through formal sanskrit study ?

atmavichar100

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2012, 12:54:20 PM »
Regarding Sanskrit. Have you gone through formal sanskrit study ?

Tushnim ,
I had a basic exposure to Sanskrit through Samskrit Bharati few years back but then did not keep up the momentum . As I said my interest in it was not turning to commitment in the same . The same with study of Scriptural Texts which I did in a bits and pieces manner and not in a serious committed manner .  Of course there were other reasons for the same as I was involved in lot of outward spiritual activity  and many of it has now calmed down / come down and during this period I realized the richness and depth  of our Sanathana Dharma  in all its aspects - Karma , Bhakti , Janana , Yoga , Temple Architecture , Music , Dance , Astrology etc etc and one notable thing I found was the richness of the literature ( in Bhakti ,Yoga ,  Jnana ) left by our forefathers in Classical Sanskrit and Classical Tamil and felt Ashamed of missed learning these 2 Classical language . Though Tamil is my mother tongue and I can speak and read Tamil but it is not enough to study these classical texts . Same with Sanskrit - I can read Sanskrit but cant really understand the classical  texts . No doubt English Translations are available but they fall short in conveying the depth of meaning to these texts and can only provide a broad overview .
After listening to Swami Paramarthananda's Sanskrit Chanting of Sacred Texts and Dharmapuram Swaminathan's Chanting of Classical Tamil Texts ,I understood the power of clear and correct pronunciation . Swami Omkarananda in one of his lectures talked about the power of "Akshara Suddhi " i.e power of clear pronunciation and said it to be a great Sadhana in itself and right now I am giving prominence to learning Sanskrit / Tamil Texts with clear pronunciation .
Swami Paramarthananda has talked about Shabda / Artha i.e if you give prominence to shabda then artha will have to take a backseat and if you give prominence to artha then shabdha will take a backseat . Right now I am giving prominence to Shabda i,e sound and later go to Artha and I believe that the power of these divine shabdha will itself guide me to the right artha of those texts .
Of course this is not a strict black and white rule , I do read meaning of texts but right now my commitment is more towards memorizing the texts than to study its meaning .

Om Peace .

atmavichar100

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2012, 02:01:34 PM »
Nice dear Atmavichar,
   :) Incidentally I am also trying to learn chanting some sanskrit texts. My mental make up and comfort zone is with the reasoning stuff rather than "Svaras" etc. So I am find it a little tough to learn to chant. But have got a friend who is really patient with me and is helping me learn :). This is totally new for me. But a good learning for sure.

Tushnim

I just need to clarify here  that I am not in to Vedic Chanting which needs more serious commitment and needs the presence of a live Guru .
I am talking about  just plain Sanskrit Chanting - stotras ( mostly Adi Shankara Stotras ) , sahasra namas ( Vishnu , Siva , Lalitha , Ganga )  , Vedantic Texts like Bhagvad Gita , Ribhu Gita , Sat Darshanam , Viveka Chudamani etc

I just learn the above texts by myself using the text and audio Chants of Swami Paramarthananda or any other notable person who has clear pronunciation . I am not fond of chanting it in Raga format and like pure clear Sanskrit Chants .

Of course there are certain divine hyms rendered by MS Subhulaxmi ( Favorites being Bhaja Govindam and Vishnu Sahasranamam )  and other prominent Singers like SP Balasubramanian ( favorite being Shiva Stutis ) that I like in musical format .

As regards Vedic Chanting , I just play the CD and listen to the same in silence ( Morning : Taittriya Upanishad and some suktas and Evening : Rudram , Chamakan and some Suktas ) . Bhagwan Ramana has made a list of Vedic Chants for Morning and Evening and that is what I follow and it seems  that right from the start it has been going on without a break in Bhagwan's presence and still continues in his Samadhi shrine at Ramana Ashram and when there is a Veda Parayana , Bahgwan Ramana who most of the time  sits with his legs stretched out , will fold his legs and sit in rapt attention with his eyes closed .

As regarding taste for reasoning  v/s chanting - I feel u must just follow your natural choice and enjoy doing the same . Of course it is good to at times come out of our comfort zones to explore other dimensions to enjoy the richness of our tradition like say u need not go to temple for rituals , bhakthi but can enjoy the temples for the beautiful architecture or to listen to the wonderful chants in the temple .

Since my samskaras are more in Yoga /Upasana I follow the line of Yoga /Chanting /Solitude but at times I do come out of my comfort zone to read and  listen to Advaita Texts i.e I love to listen to Swami Paramarthannada /Omkarananada lectures and read Swami Dayananda's Transcribed lectures . Plus these days I am also reading some Rational / Atheist stuff to understand why they Criticize our Vedas, Sanathana Dharma  etc  :)

By the way I read some where that most of Atheists are successful in their life  because even to Criticize the Vedas , Bhagavad Gita ,Puranas etc they study them seriously to find the loopholes but the beauty of our Scriptures is even if he is an atheist ,it blesses him for taking effort to study in order to abuse it .

So bottom line is put effort and tap the grace . One may not have a personal Guru but one can get grace of divine texts by Chanting / Reading them seriously .I consider proper and serious chanting of Scriptural Texts( or serious reading of texts )  is the best way to get divine Grace from those texts in the absence of a personal Guru . This is Unique to Sanathana Dharma and this is what I am doing .

Om Peace

atmavichar100

• View Profile
Re: Why Ribhu Gita ?
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2012, 02:16:30 PM »
Friends,
           :) I have a question for all the forum members:
Why did Bhagavan Ramana Maharshi give so much importance to Ribhu Gita ?
Why , of all the various texts, he suggested Ribhu Gita for parayana ?

He had a few chosen texts  like Ellam ondre, Ribhu Gita etc. What is special about these texts ?

I would love your views on this, with Ribhu Gita in context.

Harih OM!

My answer is based upon my reading of only the English conversations of Bhagwan Ramana and David Godman's books and according me Bhagwan Ramana was the teacher for the direct path  and for the most mature / serious seekers i.e Uttama Adikaris  and Ribhu Gita addresses such a devotee and also follows the Direct Path and hence I feel Bhagwan Ramana would have found it useful for such people .

Om Peace .

atmavichar100

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2012, 02:48:22 PM »
can you please give me the list of chants bhagavan has suggested for morning and evening ? I was unaware that he prepared such a list.
Tushnim

The following are the Morning / Evening Vedic and Sanskrit Chants as followed in Ramana Ashram and I believe Bhagwan did give an outline for the same and others added some later .  I once asked David Godman about this but he could not give me the proper answer to its background .
If there is any changes in the list , I will make it .

Ramana Ashram Morning Vedic and Sanskrit Chants

1) Sri Ramna Chatvarimshat
2) Sri Arunachla Pancharatnam
3) Sri Taittriya Upanishad ( Sikisha /Anand /Bhrigu Valli )
4) Sri Suktam
5)Maha Narayana Upanishad ( some portions )

Ramana Ashram Evening Vedic & Sanskrit Chants
1)Dakshinamurti Stotram
2) Sri Rudram
3) Chamakam
4) Purusha Suktam , Narayana Suktam,Durga Suktam
5) Mantra Pushpam .
 6)Upadesa Saram
7) Nakarmana
« Last Edit: December 19, 2012, 05:21:32 PM by atmavichar100 »

atmavichar100

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2012, 05:36:16 PM »
This may be the ashram formalities.
Ramana may not have prescribed this .
from what i know there used to be regular ribhu gita chantings in which ramana used to participate.
but this list does not even contain ribhu gita !!

but this is a nice list.
Dakshinamurhti stotram is a pure bliss for sure :)

Tushnim

I have updated the list to make some changes after seeing the final version from the book "The Veda Parayana At Sri RamanaAshram - An English  Translation ) .

According to this book :

1) In Sri Bhgawan's lifetime , Vedic Chanting/Veda Parayana  was held twice a day morning and evening , lasting about 40 mts on each occasion , and this is still continued .
2) This with the Puja which follows it is  the only ritual which was or is generally attended at the Ashram .
3) It was an hour of tremendous silence when he sat immobile as though carved in rock . He never allowed anything to interrupt it .
4) When asked whether people should learn the meaning ,so as to follow it , he said no : It was sufficient that the chanting served as a support for meditation .
5) Despite this , it is also true , however , that the portions used for chanting were carefully chosen and approved by Sri Bhgawan Himself .
6) Nothing has been deleted from them since Sri Bhagwan's  lifetime and only one item added .That is Sri Dakshinamurti Stotra which , mainly on the request of the late Major Chadwick ( Sadhu Arunachala ) is now used as the opening hymn before the evening chant .
7) Technically in the past even listening to the Chanting of Vedas is supposed to made available only to Brahmins , but this prohibition was abrogated by Sri Bhagwan .
I hope the above points answers your question .

Apart from Twice Veda Parayana there is a Monday - Friday Tamil Parayana from 6.45- 7.30 p.m based on Bhagwan's Tamil Works .  This Tamil Parayana that is now being followed is different from that was followed during Bhagwan's times .

It seems according to Subramanian Sir ,  Ribhu Gita is being Chanted from 3-3.30 p.m daily in evening .I am not ware of it . I am not aware how Ribhu Gita was chanted during Bhagwan's times . But anyway we can chant Ribhu Gita  daily and that is why Ramana Ashram has made available the Tamil Version Audio of the Chant for Free download and has made the Entire Sanskrit Edition Audio CD free as part of the Sanskrit English Edition .

Om Peace .
« Last Edit: December 19, 2012, 05:45:46 PM by atmavichar100 »

atmavichar100

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 25, 2012, 09:49:03 AM »

Here is a free PDF Booklet called "Sadhanas from Ribhu Gita" by Swami Shantananda Puri

http://www.scribd.com/doc/98878857/Sadhanas-From-Ribhu-Gita

Om Peace

atmavichar100

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 25, 2012, 10:07:35 AM »
Thank you dear Atmavichar,
        Seems like a good book, I have downloaded it to read it in detail :) !
Thanks a lot.
Welcome Tushnim

In fact I have to thank my friend who met Swami Shantananda Puri few weeks back at Ramana Ashram and it seems Shantananda Puri urged him to study Ribhu Gita and in fact gave him a free print version of the same autographing that with his small message .In fact yesterday he met me and showed the same and he was the one who pointed out the link to the free PDF Version of the same .
In fact my friend already gifted me a free copy of the Sanskrit English Ribhu Gita text with the audio few weeks back and I started to chant CH-9 of the same from last Thursday i.e  20 Dec 2012 . But as I have restarted the "Shravanam/Mananam" of Srimad Bhagavad Gita of Swami Paramarthananda from Last Sunday i.e 23 Dec 2012 being Gita Jayanati ,I will be occupied with it for some more time but will Chant Ribhu Gita at least once a week mostly on Thursdays to keep in touch with this Text and later make it part of my daily routine .

Om Peace .

atmavichar100

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 25, 2012, 10:38:03 AM »
Swami Paramarthananda ji's teachings would make you understand the truth
and Ribhu gita will help you abide there in

Let me promise ... if you give your mind to both these ...  completely and without reservations ...
it wont take very long for you to clearly see and abide there :)!

May you discover the Ramana or Arunachala which is ever present as Self within.

Thanks Tushnim

Can we say that Srimad Bhagavad Gita is a good text for Shravanama/Mananam
Ashtavakara Gita good for Mananam/Niddhidhyasanam
Ribhu Gita purely only for Niddhidhyasanam ?

By the way have you heard of another Text Called "Avadhutha Gita " and Swami Sivananda mentions a lot about it .
Om Peace

atmavichar100

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 25, 2012, 11:32:04 AM »
Ramana Mentioned 5/6 texts to Annamalai Swami ... all of them are manana/nidhidhyasana based... Ashtavakra Gita, Ribhu Gita, Yoga Vasishta, Ellam Ondre, Kaivalya navaneetam etc... all of them are exceptional texts.

Yes Bhagwan Ramana is well understood by people who have the samskaras to go to the direct path straight away .

Om Peace

atmavichar100

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 25, 2012, 01:31:29 PM »
Mature minds alone can grasp the simple Truth in all its nakedness. - Bhagwan  Ramana

Actually the above quote is part of the following conversation between Bhagwan Ramana and Major Chadwick . But we must note one thing : while Bhagwan Says truth is simple , it is possible to be grasped by a mature mind and not an ordinary mind .
M.: The ultimate Truth is so simple. It is nothing more than being in the pristine state. This is all that need be said. Still, it is a wonder that to teach this simple Truth there should come into being so many religions, creeds, methods and disputes among them and so on! Oh the pity! Oh the pity!

Maj. Chadwick: But people will not be content with simplicity; they want complexity.

M.: Quite so. Because they want something elaborate and attractive and puzzling, so many religions have come into existence and each of them is so complex and each creed in each religion has its own adherents and antagonists. For example, an ordinary Christian will not be satisfied unless he is told that God is somewhere in the far-off Heavens not to be reached by us unaided. Christ alone knew Him and Christ alone can guide us. Worship Christ and be saved. If told the simple truth - "The Kingdom of Heaven is within you" - he is not satisfied and will read complex and far-fetched meanings in such statements. Mature minds alone can grasp the simple Truth in all its nakedness.

>:(
« Last Edit: December 25, 2012, 01:37:58 PM by atmavichar100 »

atmavichar100

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 25, 2012, 08:11:36 PM »
The student himself has to simply listen, study these and those texts will eventually aid the student abide as the Self continuously.

For me I am yet to study those Scriptural Classics  ( like Ribhu Gita , Ashtavakara Gita ,Upanishads etc ) in depth and right now just confining myself to Shravanam of Srimad Bhagavad Gita and parayana of some Sacred Tamil and Sanskrit Chants but for me studying the English books related to  Bhagwan ( like Power of Presence , Living by the Words of Bhagwan , Day by Day with Bhagwan ,Talks with Ramana Maharshi etc ) are supporting aids for my Niddhidhayasanam as Bhagawan always points to the "Self" whatever the question is . The best book I encountered in my life is "Living by the Words of Bhagwan" as well as "Annamalai Swamy's final talks " and for me they occupy the status of an Upanishad itself .

Om Peace
« Last Edit: December 25, 2012, 08:14:29 PM by atmavichar100 »

sanjaya_ganesh

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 26, 2012, 09:03:06 AM »
Udai garu - You are indeed blessed :). People typically dont understand in the right sense "Nothing to do... Nowhere to go...". It is not a desperate situation - it is the utmost liberated situation as you rightly put. This frees you up to do everything and go everywhere. "Nothing to do... Nowhere to go..." means cessation of identification with mind. Only mind can do things and go places. The Supreme which is everywhere - where can it go? Once you understand the emphasis of "I" in "I have nothing to do... I have nowhere to go" - you are liberated then and there.

Sanjay
Salutations to Bhagawan