Author Topic: Tiruppavai-Discussion  (Read 16507 times)

Ravi.N

• View Profile
Re: Tiruppavai-Discussion
« Reply #60 on: March 28, 2013, 09:26:11 AM »
Friends,
We are now about to embark into verse 7 .Master TGN has brilliantly covered this-every sentence of his is bristling with deep insight,and he covers a vast Ground and links everything so cogently that one is left speechless at the oceanic wisdom that lies beneath this seemingly simple and sweet verse.We need to take time to cover this and I shall be posting a series over a period of time-I do not wish to skip anything that TGN has covered so wonderfully.
Meantime I will share this incident that may interest you-This verse has been occupying my mind over the last few days and in our office as I along with a few colleagues were in the canteen having a Tea break,someone mentioned how sparrows have totally disappeared in Chennai and its surrounds.This prompted another,a christian from Kerala who said that 'AnaichAththan bird' is also rare to see nowadays!Immediately I asked him whether he had seen one!He said 'Oh Yes!They make a lot of noise and were seen in Plenty in Kerala'.I immediately took note that our Lady AnDAL has dropped a hint and wants me to explore this further.I had intended to look up the net to see a photo of this bird and I landed on a couple of Interesting Blogs!
Please visit:
http://thoughtsonsanathanadharma.blogspot.in/2012/12/thirupavai-pasuram-7.html#!/2012/12/thirupavai-pasuram-7.html
I learn here why AnDAL has of all birds(Crows,Parrots,so many are there!)chosen the AnaichAththan bird also called as BhAradwAja bird in Sanskrit.
This Blog seems to be very good and will add to our appreciation of TiruppAvai.Ofcourse Master TGN also brings the JnAna perspective to top this all.All in all,this is a rich feast and the more we learn the more we immerse ourselves in this wonderful work and our hearts are filled with wonder and Gratitude for our Lady AnDAL(nAchchiyAr).
I also came across this link-Amazing AnDAL:
http://www.speakingtree.in/spiritual-blogs/seekers/mysticism/amazing-andal-where-did-she-see-the-lion

Namaskar.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2013, 09:44:53 AM by Ravi.N »

ramanaduli

• View Profile
« Reply #61 on: March 29, 2013, 06:23:41 PM »
Dear sir,

Here I want to share about Bharatwaja bird.  There is a story in ThruviLaiyadal purnam where Lord shiva granted Moksha to a KARUN KURUVI.
This bird was called eLiyan but after doing tapas this bird is called now Valiyan. The name was given by Lord Shiva. This bird came to Thruvalidayam in Chennai and worshiped Shiva too. In this temple Bharatwaja muni also did tapas. This is the reason it is called Bharatwaja bird.  This bird chirps like sparrow and is having long tail. It looks black too. To day I came to know this is the AnaichAchthaan

Ramanaduli

Ravi.N

• View Profile
« Reply #62 on: January 04, 2014, 07:18:08 AM »
Subramanian/Ramanaduli/Friends,
Thanks for prodding me to continue the Tiruppavai Commentary of Master TGN.My PC is currently uninstalled on account of repairs carried out in my apartment.I shall continue as soon as it is installed.I do not find the ipad comfortable enough for that purpose.
Namaskar.

ramanaduli

• View Profile
« Reply #63 on: January 07, 2014, 03:17:34 PM »
Dear Ravi ji,

Everything is done by the grace of Him. I think He knows when to serve to us this discussion.

Ramanaduli

Ravi.N

• View Profile
« Reply #64 on: January 11, 2014, 10:12:24 AM »
ramanaduli/Friends,
Yes.The Beauty and wisdom of Tiruppavai is something that is not easy to lay down in prose and is not possible without the Grace of our Guru AnDAL.
Namaskar.

Jewell

• Love,always love and only love
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: January 14, 2014, 08:10:36 AM »
Dear Sri Ravi,

Thank You for continuing this beautiful,beautiful work Sir. I just love Lady Andal, these golden verses,and that love and truth which echoes in them...

With love and prayers,

Ravi.N

• View Profile
« Reply #66 on: January 16, 2014, 06:45:11 AM »
Jewell/Friends,
Thanks for your keen interest and appreciation of this wonderful work.I am constrained to proceed slow,as the subject matter is subtle.
Namaskar.

Ravi.N

• View Profile
« Reply #67 on: January 21, 2014, 06:55:35 AM »
Nagaraj,
Thanks very much for adding the illustration to verse 8.
Namaskar.

Nagaraj

• View Profile
« Reply #68 on: January 21, 2014, 10:16:13 AM »
:)

॥ शांतमात्मनि तिष्ट ॥
Remain quietly in the Self.
~ Vasishta

Ravi.N

• View Profile
« Reply #69 on: January 24, 2014, 09:36:47 AM »
Ramanaduli,
Appropos of how words have transformed themselves in everyday speech in Tamizh,TGN mentions the word வண்டவாளம் vanDavALam -we say :'I know your vanDavALam' .This has a Negative connotation,meaning 'I know your History Sheet'!
This word is a Colloquial form that sprang from:வேண்டல் + வளம்-Meaning 'All that a person Desires or Needs+All that a Person Has in abundance'-Meaning all the Minus and Pluses-Meaning the personality of that person.
வேண்டல் + வளம் has become வண்டவாளம்!

Namaskar.

ramanaduli

• View Profile
« Reply #70 on: January 24, 2014, 05:25:06 PM »
Dear sir,

When Periyazhvar found the baby girl, He gave the name KODHAI. But she got the name AaNDaaL. She not only caught Ranganathan's heart i.e. AaNDu koNdavaL. But she conquered The language of Tamil, and Vedham. No other name is fit than AaNDaal.

ramanaduli

Ravi.N

• View Profile
« Reply #71 on: January 25, 2014, 09:00:27 AM »
Ramanaduli,
TGN is a Jnani.you may look up this site:
http://www.tgnfoundation.org/
Namaskar.

Ravi.N

• View Profile
« Reply #72 on: February 01, 2014, 09:33:51 AM »
Nagaraj,
Thanks very much for posting those illustrations; also for the beautiful picture of our Holy Mother right here.Today's post in the Tiruppavai thread carries her wonderful message:

I tell you one thing—if you want peace of mind, do not find fault with others. Rather see your own faults. Learn to make the whole world your own. No one is a stranger my child: this whole world is your own!

Namaskar.

Nagaraj

• View Profile
« Reply #73 on: February 01, 2014, 10:05:58 AM »
Dear Sri Ravi,

it reminded me the following:

From Bible, Matthew -

"Do not judge others, so that God will not judge you, for God will judge you in the same way you judge others, and he will apply to you the same rules you apply to others. Why, then, do you look at the speck in your brother's eye and pay no attention to the log in your own eye? How dare you say to your brother, "Please, let me take that speck out of your eye,' when you have a log in your own eye? You hypocrite! First take the log out of your own eye, and then you will be able to see clearly to take the speck out of your brother's eye."

Also, it is a matter of fact that Gods creation is his doings are always perfect, only it appears faulty from our vision camouflaged with self interest and strong views and opinions of good and bad.

in the word of Satya Sai Baba -

"All the plans of God are meant only for the welfare of others. God always does only good, which may appear to be bad to some people. The mistake lies in their vision, not in God’s creation. Whatever God does, it is always meant to help you and develop your sacredness."

Somewhere, Swami Vivekananda has quoted the following (appx) -

"Love Thy Neighbor as Thyself' Why? because, Thy neighbor is yourself. By hurting your neighbor, you are hurting yourself, by loving your neighbor, you are loving yourself. By seeing God in your neighbor, you are seeing God in yourself! You are God, Aatma, Chaitanya, You are that Self."

Sringeri Swamigal, Sri Bharathi Theertha quoted in one of his Anugraha Bhashanam -

If your concience concludes that "I have not erred today in any sense," only such a day is well-spent. When such days increase in number, it is indicative of the extent of purity of the mind."

Everyone commits a mistake some time of other. Hence once with immense power must have patience."

--
॥ शांतमात्मनि तिष्ट ॥
Remain quietly in the Self.
~ Vasishta

Ravi.N

• View Profile
« Reply #74 on: February 07, 2014, 06:49:51 AM »
Nagaraj,
Thanks very much for the picture with the English translation-You may leave the translation as it is.It will help to compare TGN's translation with that.We clearly see how TGN has dived straightaway into the essence-He has titled it as 'Rare Receptacle' .
Namaskar.