Author Topic: Tiruppavai-Discussion  (Read 22647 times)

Jewell

• Love,always love and only love
    • View Profile
Re: Tiruppavai-Discussion
« Reply #45 on: January 26, 2013, 08:36:15 PM »
Dear Sri Ravi,

Thank You Very much for continuing Divine Satsang with Lady Andal!
I am truly happy to be part of it.

With love and prayers,

Nagaraj

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: February 20, 2013, 09:17:42 AM »
Dear Sri Ravi,

yes, truly wonderful assurances, it resonates so well from within... Those who have a little exposure in worshiping the Supreme with rituals will truly experience the assurances as conveyed by Lady AnDAL. Thanks so much...

தூயோமாய் வந்து நாம் தூமலர் தூவித் தொழுது
தூயோமாய் வந்து thooyOmai vandhu Having purified ourselves (Please see verse 2)if we approach

தூமலர் தூவித் தொழுது thoomalar thoovith thozhudhu if we sprinkle fresh flowers and worship

Flowers are symbolic of freshness and purity-Like this,our thoughts of devotion are pure and Fresh and not just  an act of Routine ritual.Our act of worship should be an expression of this Devotion.

வாயினால் பாடி மனத்தினால் சிந்திக்கப் vAyinAl pAdi manathinAl sindhikka singing with our mouths paens spontaneous,with our minds steady in contemplation

This may be either in our words or the wonderful compositions of The Great ones-The Key thing is that it should come from deep within us.This keeps the mind in Steady contemplation.

Our Lady AnDAL is giving a wonderful and simple method that is accessible to one and all-It is to harmonize our act,words and thoughts in the act of worshipping the Divine whose very Nature is Love.

போய பிழையும் புகுதருவான் நின்றனவும்  தீயினில் தூசாகும் pOya pizhaiyum pugutharuvAn ninRanavum theeyinil thoosAgum
then the sins of our past and those yet in store for us would be reduced to nothing,even as dust-specs  are annihilated in the Blazing fire

This is AnDAL's assurance to the earnest seeker.
॥ शांतमात्मनि तिष्ट ॥
Remain quietly in the Self.
~ Vasishta

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: February 20, 2013, 10:15:11 AM »
Dear Nagaraj,

Nice photograph of Sri Krishna and Andal (Goda Devi in Srimad Bhagavadham). Thank you.

Arunachala Siva.

Ravi.N

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: February 20, 2013, 07:04:18 PM »
Nagaraj,
Thanks very much for the wonderful illustrations.Srimad Bhagavatham is indeed a Rare Scripture;Sri Ramakrishna used to describe it as 'Fried in the Butter of Knowledge and steeped in the honey of Love'.
Namaskar.

Ravi.N

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: February 20, 2013, 07:07:34 PM »
Subramanian,
Thanks very much.I am quite happy to dwell on our Lady AnDAL's TiruppAvai.From Verse 6 onwards the theme will be 'Sleepers Awake'.
Namaskar.

Ravi.N

• View Profile
« Reply #50 on: March 23, 2013, 07:45:18 AM »
Friends,
As much as I take delight in sharing and participating in the satsangha of our Lady AnDAL,I am also accutely aware of the imposing nature of this undertaking.It is easier to deal with a scripture like vivekachudamani or atmabodha than to delve into this Tiruppavai.It is so charming and accessible,yet it is unfathomable and I am sharing only what I have gathered,and this is precious little.
The Only saving Grace is that Our lady AnDAL is used to neophytes like us and as Sri Ramakrishna says:
"The grace of God falls alike on all His children, learned and illiterate―whoever longs for
Him. The father has the same love for all his children. Suppose a father has five children.
One calls him 'Baba', some 'Ba', and some 'Pa'. These last cannot pronounce the whole
word. Does the father love those who address him as 'Baba' more than those who call him
'Pa'? The father knows that these last are simply too young to say 'Baba' correctly.

Truly TiruppAvai is the essence of all upanishads-GoDa Upanishad.(GOda is the sanskrit derivative from kOthai as our Lady(nAchchiAr)is called in tamizh)

Namaskar.

Ravi.N

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: March 25, 2013, 06:43:22 AM »
Deepa,
You wished to know whether the TiruppAvai talks by Master TGN are available as a CD;yes,they are available.Here is what I had posted elsewhere and it took some time to dig it out.

mAnikkavachakar's tiruvembAvai is indeed wonderful,as they express hymns of Peak devotion and jnAna.Yet AndAl's TiruppAvai is not just a வழிபாட்டு நூல்(Hymns) but also more imporatntly a வழிகாட்டு நூல்(Scripture)wherein AnDAL has clearly delineated the step by step method of Deliverance.This is the Reason that in the whole of Divya prabhandham(with 4000verses),it occupies a unique place and revered and accepted as such.
Master TGN with a penetrating insight brings out this aspect in his talks spread over 45 days:He has categorized and grouped the 30 verses as follows:
Verses 1-5:உய்வதற்கான மார்க்கம் (Path to Salvation)
Verses 6-15:உறங்கியது போதாதோ!(Emerge out of Slumber!)
verses 16-20:தட்டுங்கள் திறக்கப்படும் (Knock and it shall be Opened)
Verses 21-30:வேண்டியதைப் பெறலாம்(Achieve all your desires)

The 45 days Talk titles are quite descriptive and purposeful:1.AnDAl,Incarnation of Bhoodevi 2.Advent of ANDAL 3.ANDAL's Reign of Grace 4.ANDAL'S union with the supreme Being 5.calling all seekers(pOdhuminO ner izhiyeer) 6.calling all seekers continued(vaiyathu vaazhveergAL) 7.Way to liberation 8.way to liberation continued... 9.Meditation in Depth 10.Meditation in depth continued... 11.Social Capital 12.Release from Sin Imprints 13.Release from Sin Imprints continued... 14.Seed of Seeds 15.Seed of Seeds continued... 16.Why this slumber? 17.Dawn of Wisdom 18.Lord of Wondrous deeds 19.Rare receptacle(eRRa kalangaL) 20.Peacock and Rain Cloud 21.ceaseless stream of Milk 22.Give up artifice(கள்ளம் தவிர்ந்து) 23.Your own garden 24.count yourself 25.count yourself continued... 26.Knock and it shall be opened 27.charity unbounded 28.last of Doors 29.Not your nature 30.Fan and Mirror 31.Surrender to effulgence 32.Power from Eyes(Angan mA jnAlaththu arasey) 33.Lion Awakens 34.praise unto you 35.peace and happiness 36.prescribed by elders 37.Total serenity 38.Total serenity continued... 39.Total serenity continued... 40.Kinship indissoluble 41.Kinship indissoluble 42.Servitors forever 43.Servitors forever continued... 44.Servitors forever continued... 45.Happiness here and hereafter.

TGN has said that in these 30 verses ANDAL has given the approach,the method and tools ,and all that is needed for a seeker.He has wonderfully brought all these aspects and has invoked the Benign presence of ANDAL to guide the seeker through this wonderful poem that he spontaneously composed:

வளந்தரும் ஆற்றலாம் வானத்தின் நீலம்

அளப்பரிய ஆற்றலது ஆண்டாள்-களமமைத்து

ஆண்டகதை யான்சொல்ல ஆர்வமொடு தான்கேட்டோர்

ஈண்டடைவர் மெய்யாம் இனிமை.

The prowess it is that yields plenitude and prosperity

vast as the infinite blue as the sky-Such is Andal’s field of spiritual energy

and they who come to listen  to my account of her Reign of Grace

are assured of attaining to the sweetness of Unison with the Absolute

here in this world and in this very birth
 –– Sage TGN

Ravi.N

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: March 25, 2013, 06:48:02 AM »
Deepa/Friends,

Krishna(atmavichar)had asked:
Where can I get Sage TGN's Andal Thiruppavai CD/BOOKs ? Few weeks back  You sent me a link to his site and there is his house address is given in Anna Nagar .Should I get it there or can I can it at other places in Chennai ?

Has he given a talk on Thiruvenbavai?

I intend to listen to learn and listen to both these during the Margazhi time

Here is my response:

Atmavichar,
Yes,you can buy them in that address.No,they will not be available at any other place.I need to inform you that you may find the CDs expensive.There is a valid reason why it is so.I suggest that you may visit the place one sunday and listen to the talk(Recorded)by TGN;you may also get to see him and hear his preamble.I think currently the talks on Tirukkural are on,and all are welcome.
I suggest that you listen to his talk and see if you are interested;He will speak quite fast and it may take a while to get tuned to him.This is deliberate on his part,and designed so that the mind of the listener is under pressure to listen more keenly and not go on its own errands!Once this is learned,it will be quite a purposeful sadhana.The Other thing that I need to inform you is that it will be more like a html type of a presentation,with many threads of thought and people who are used to a linear presentation may find it distracting  until they get used to it.
If you need it for listening,I will lend you my copy of AndAl's TiruppAvai.You may listen and return it to me.I lend it to others for listening.Master has permitted this,and at the same time it is expected that unauthorised copies are not made.This is purely a matter of self discipline.If you find it useful,then you may decide to buy it;then we would realize that all the money in this world is not enough to get this treasure!It is truly priceless.
Otherwise,if someone says that the set of CDs cost RS10,000 or so,one would be put off or wonder why it should be so expensive,etc.Then they will start doubting whether TGN is avaricious!He lives a simple life and is taken care of by two sisters who have dedicated themselves to this work and in his service.They are wonderful people.

The Link to TGN Foundation is:
http://www.tgnfoundation.org/

Ravi.N

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: March 25, 2013, 07:01:32 AM »
Deepa/Friends,
We saw how MahAkavi bhArati was deeply impressed by AnDAL's Tiruppavai.Here is an interesting incident concerning his devotee -BhAratidAsan that I have posted earlier-his Devotion to TiruppAvai:

Bharatidasan's devotion to his Guru Mahakavi Bharati is something that lasted throughout his life.Bharatidasan was a wonderful person,very upright,downright honest,uncompromising in not pandering to anything selfish.Truly a noble soul despite his joining the Dravidian movement.Once it so happened that when he along with other DK enthusiasts were going along a road when he came across chellamAL bharati(wife of the Mahakavi)unexpectedly.He immediately went and greeted her and prostrated full length in that open road.When the other 'Rationalists' questioned him on this,he said-'This is my Iyer's consort'.He never used to call the Mahakavi by name and used to address him as 'Iyer'(Head,Chief).There was this other instance when AnDAL's TiruppAvai used to be played through the Loudspeakers in a nearby temple,near Bharatidasan's home,early in the morning during the month of mArgazhi.Someone lodged a police complaint that the playing is disturbing the Neighbourhood and their early morning sleep!Police approached the Temple Trusties and asked them to play it at low volume.News travelled apace that someone had lodged a complaint with the Police regarding the playback through loudspeakers of TiruppAvai.As usual rumours spread that it must be Bharatidasan ,since he belonged to the Atheist DK group and his home is in the immediate neighbourhood.This was conveyed to Bharatidasan who lost no time in organizing a public meeting that very evening.A huge crowd gathered and Bharatidasan announced that he had organized this meeting to clear the false Ground that he had lodged a police complaint.He said ,is a devotee of AndAL's sangath Tamizh maaLai of tiruppAvai and gets up early in the morning just to listen to the Broadcast and not miss it! He added 'I Go to sleep again only after listening to it'!If someone who doubts this,he may come forward....That was the end of that rumour.
TGN has narrated stories of how Bharatidasan has served the Mahakavi by running errands like fetching water for drinking,etc.Here is a poem of Bharatidasan translated by TGN who considers Bharatidasan as a Hidden(veiled) Yogi:

PERCEIVE  THE  ONE

Should you not make a bid

to be rid of the multi-misery

flowing to you from

your own conditioning,

where you are acquiescing in

a thousand castes and creeds,

where you are paying court

to schemers who are,

fox-like in character,

and where you are swearing by

cults and schisms that are

egging us on to fight

like dogs amongst ourselves?

Real living is that

where your mind is in equipoise

with the distinction between “You” and “I”

obliterated for good

and there is unobstructed

vision of the One only…

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

BHARATIDASAN (1891 - 1964) poem  rendered into English by Sage TGN

Nagaraj

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: March 25, 2013, 09:33:12 AM »
॥ शांतमात्मनि तिष्ट ॥
~ Vasishta

Ravi.N

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: March 26, 2013, 06:31:38 AM »
Nagaraj,
Thanks very much for that picture.It is said that our Lady AnDAL was a mere child  and not even in her teens when she wore the garland and looked up in the mirror to ascertain how it would look on the Lord.It is said that the Garland so worn by her had a Fragrance not to be found anywhere in all the worlds-and The Lord vatapatrasayana was completely captivated by it and insisted to periyAlzhwAr by appearing in his dream that he wanted only the Garland worn by kOthai.This is how she came to be called AnDAL-the one who ruled over the Lord(and all of us her devotees as well-Ravi)
Sri Ramakrishna says:"Prema is the rope by which you can tether God, as it were. Whenever you want to see Him you have merely to pull the rope. Whenever you call Him, He will appear before you."
Our Lady is premaswarupa.
Namaskar.

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #56 on: March 26, 2013, 10:13:49 AM »
Dear Ravi,

When Andal merged with Ranganatha, Periyazhwar exclaims: ChenKaN MAl thAn koNdu ponAno !

Arunachala Siva.

Nagaraj

• View Profile
« Reply #57 on: March 26, 2013, 07:46:21 PM »
sri Ravi

How they have lived... If we can live just even miniscule such as them our lives will be purposefully lived. Isnt this the way life ought to be lived....

What is there in anything else. Just we cant even fathom the kind of love that cld have been shown on Aandaal by periyaazhwar.

Bhakti prasaadam jnaanam.
--
॥ शांतमात्मनि तिष्ट ॥
~ Vasishta

Nagaraj

• View Profile
« Reply #58 on: March 26, 2013, 08:12:02 PM »
Sri Ravi,

The beauty is enhanced when we look from ordinary eyes, that is seeing Aandal and Periazhwar as ordinary souls just like any one of us. If we look at them as avatars as divine manifestation, then nothing is impossible for such beings.

The same holds good to Ramayana, Ramar charitam is beautiful as an ordinary layman, without any poetical divine decorations.

How they have lived.

Whose child was Lady Aandal, Periazhwar, what has He infused in Her! He has give away a part of His own Heart.

--
॥ शांतमात्मनि तिष्ट ॥
~ Vasishta

Ravi.N

• View Profile
« Reply #59 on: March 26, 2013, 10:30:54 PM »
Nagaraj/Subramanian,
We will see how all the human elements are combined with the Divine aspects in perfect Harmony in TiruppAvai Satsangha-There is Comraderie,innocent fun,Mock Teasing,Gracious acceptance of fault -What is called Vaishnava Lakshanam.There is Bhakti,Yoga and Jnana in full measure and made so accessible as our Guru AnDAL is such a wonderful teacher as well.Truly this is a rare Treasure Trove.AnDAL graced Terra firma for a mere 25 Years!Although AnDAL was only found as a Baby by periyAzhwAr near the Tulasi Plant and was raised by him,the wonderful relationship between them as Father and daughter,as Guru and Disciple is truly inspirational.In TiruppAvai ,AnDAL has paid Rich tributes by referring herself as 'pattarbirAn KOthai'-Wonderful Relationship!Master TGN has brought out these aspects exquisitely in the first four Talks of his 45 Days coverage of TiruppAvai.
Our Friend Subramanian has Rightly pointed out how PeriyAzhwAR ,although a jnAni could never come to terms with the Fact that AnDAL left him to live for another 7 to 10 Years on this earth after her exit.The Excerpt that he has pointed out -'ChenKaN MAl thAn koNdu ponAno !'.I have to dig out the complete song-It begins like 'oru Magal thanai udaiyan'(I have one Daughter)-PeriyAzhwAr says-'I Have one Daughter(He does not say 'Had'!AnDAL is still living;Only that She has been whisked away by the Lotus eyed Lord!My House is now Deserted!).I will post this when I find it.
Thanks very much for giving this wonderful opportunity to dwell on the lives of AnDAL and periyAzhwAr.As Nagaraj has rightly said that the beauty lies in their accessibility,as one of us.
Namaskar.