Author Topic: Tiruppavai-Discussion  (Read 17112 times)

Ravi.N

• View Profile
Re: Tiruppavai-Discussion
« Reply #30 on: December 29, 2012, 07:26:57 AM »
Ramanaduli/Friends,
What sort of a Hold our Lady AndAL has over the Lord?This is what Sri Ramakrishna says in The Gospel of Sri Ramakrishna:

Prema is the rope by which you can tether God, as it were. Whenever you want to see Him
you have merely to pull the rope. Whenever you call Him, He will appear before you

In the beginning God becomes the magnet, and the devotee the needle. But in the end the devotee himself becomes the magnet, and God the needle; that is to say, God becomes small to His devotee.

AndAL ruled over the Lord in this fashion.By simply joining her satsangha, wholeheartedly participating in it,we enjoy this privilege.
Namaskar.

Ravi.N

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 29, 2012, 10:33:02 AM »
Nagaraj,
Thanks very much for posting the picture for verse 4-Rain thy Grace like arrows from Sri Rama's bow(Sarnga).Withold it not.-This is the theme.
Namaskar.

Nagaraj

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 29, 2012, 10:56:28 AM »
Sri Ravi,

the 4th verse is very moving -

தாழாதே சார்ங்க முதைத்த சர மழை போல்
வாழ உலகினில் பெய்திடாய் நாங்களும்
மார்கழி நீராட மகிழ்ந்தேலோர் எம்பாவாய்

letting loose rain in shafts that resemble the arrows issuing forth
from His bow called sarnga.
Pour down so that the world may live and thrive

and so that we too may rejoice and have our holy dip
of Margazhi magnificient.Listen and ponder,our Girl!

Thanks so much.

॥ शांतमात्मनि तिष्ट ॥
Remain quietly in the Self.
~ Vasishta

Jewell

• Love,always love and only love
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 29, 2012, 06:59:39 PM »
Dear Sri Ravi, So Beautiful and heart melting poems and words from lady Andal. Whenever i read them they deeply thouch my heart... O,there is so much Beauty and Wisdom in them. Thank You Very much for posting it,and also,for posting detailed explanation! With love and prayers,

Ravi.N

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 30, 2012, 07:01:36 AM »
Nagaraj/Jewell,
Yes,it is indeed a privilege and blessing to be part of the satsangh that our Lady AndAL has made accessible to one and all.The Beauty of this satsangh is that it annuls all differences of high and low ,beginner and advanced sadhaka,and accommodates everyone in a spirit of comraderie,Love and spirit of equality.I am only attempting to express some of the highlights of what I have heard from Master TGN,and I am sure Lady AndAL will inspire each and everyone who  chants and meditates on the verses in Right earnest.I wish to share the wonderful life of our lady who graced this terra firma for a mere 24 years!I will do so after covering the 30 verses.
Master TGN's coverage is very deep and extensive and what I am presenting here is only be a tiny fraction of that.I am sharing this in the spirit of the squirrel that wished to contribute to the building of the Bridge for Lord Sri Rama.
Thanks very much for all the encouragement.
Namaskar.

ramanaduli

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 30, 2012, 07:48:12 AM »
Dear sirs,

Andaal requests the rain to shower so that people can live on this earth. She knows what is so important for all creature.
She must be knowing later days, there will be problem for water and states will be splitted.
But the inner meaning  I think rain is the grace (kARUNAI). as without water how people cannot live, in the same way without God's grace sadhak cannot progress.  When the grace showers, sadhak can take a dip in consiousness.

Ramanaduli

Ravi.N

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 30, 2012, 08:14:25 AM »
Ramanaduli,
Yes,you are Right.We will see how in this verse AndAL is praying to the Guru to shower his Grace.God,Guru and Grace are synonymous.In the earlier verses she has made the objective of the 'Pavai Nonbu' and indicated that it is the supreme Lord who himself is going to grant them 'PaRai'.In this verse 4,she is Introducing God who comes in the form of Guru,raining his grace on one and all.The Great ones by their very presence here are a boon to the beings in the world.They have come here for this very purpose and AndAL is 'reminding' them!'Withhold not thy Grace'.
I am just sharing this  a little ahead to respond to your post!An excerpt from The Gospel of Sri Ramakrishna:

Different manifestations of the Absolute
"But the Nitya and the Lila are the two aspects of the same Reality. As I have said before, it
is like the roof and the steps leading to it. The Absolute plays in many ways: as Isvara, as
the gods, as man, and as the universe. The Incarnation is the play of the Absolute as man.
Do you know how the Absolute plays as man? It is like the rushing down of water from a
big roof through a pipe; the power of Satchidananda-nay, Satchidananda Itself-descends
through the conduit of a human form as water descends through the pipe.
Only twelve
sages, Bharadvaja and the others, recognized Rama as an Incarnation of God. Not everyone
can recognize an Incarnation".

"The water from the roof flows through a spout that is shaped like a lion's head. It looks as if the lion were
bringing the water out through its mouth. But look at the source of the water! A cloud
gathers in the sky and rain falls on the roof; then the water flows through the pipe and at
last comes out through the spout."

Thanks very much.
Namaskar.

Jewell

• Love,always love and only love
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 30, 2012, 05:45:10 PM »
Dear Sri Ravi, Truly,it is such a happiness that we can read these Beautiful words,and enjoy this Wonderful satsang with Lady Andal. I love Her way and Her idea of Satsang,that friendly spirit. Some sweetness,charm,elegance,innosence and goodness can be felt through Her. I must say that i didnt know anything about Lady Andal,and after reading in this thread,i searched all i could find. That flood of emotions,how much Her Love and Devotion thouched me... She is remarkable Lady,a Goddess. I must thank You once more for writing all this! It is a Treasure and Blessing. And the way You gave example of the spirit of squirrel is so cute and sweet. :) O,this is much more than that! With love and prayers,

Ravi.N

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 04, 2013, 08:31:40 AM »
jewell,
How well you have grasped the beauty and relevance of our Lady AndAL;I am pleasantly surprised beyond words.Thanks very much for your words of encouragement.
May the Blessings of our Lady and Guru be ever with us.
Namaskar.

Ravi.N

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 04, 2013, 08:36:59 AM »
Subramanian,
Thanks very much for your warm and loving words.As Sri Ramakrishna says -"One hemp-smoker rejoices in the company of another hemp-smoker".
I had to go out of town for a day(31st december) and just did not feel prompted to post anything subsequently.
Namaskar.

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 04, 2013, 05:37:53 PM »
ஆழி மழைக் கண்ணா ஒன்று நீ கை கரவேல்
ஆழி உள் புக்கு முகந்து கொடு ஆர்த்து ஏறி
ஊழி முதல்வன் உருவம் போல் மெய் கறுத்துப்
பாழிய் அம் தோளுடைப் பற்பனாபன் கையில்
ஆழி போல் மின்னி வலம்புரி போல் நின்று அதிர்ந்து
தாழாதே சார்ங்க முதைத்த சர மழை போல்
வாழ உலகினில் பெய்திடாய் நாங்களும்
மார்கழி நீராட மகிழ்ந்தேலோர் எம்பாவாய்

Dear Ravi and others,

I just now heard Sri Anantapadmanabachariyar's Upanyasm in Jaya Tv. There he said that AndAL uses the Tamizh's
special letter 'zha' in different forms for ten times in the above verse. He opines that 'zha' being a special letter for Tamizh,
which is Sangatamizh, she has used it times to honor it. This is one another interpretation for Sanga Tamzih.

Arunachala Siva.   

Ravi.N

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 05, 2013, 07:18:54 AM »
Subramanian,
Yes,the usage of words with zha is indeed unmistakeable.I have highlighted the same in Bold in my post for this very reason.AndAL was also quite familiar with the TirukkuraL of vaLLuvar.She uses the word 'mudalvan' as well in this verse 4.We may refer to TirukkuraL:
அகர முதல எழுத்தெல்லாம் ஆதி
பகவன் முதற்றே உலகு.
Namaskar.

ramanaduli

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 05, 2013, 08:04:15 AM »
Dear sir,

It is a good oppourtunity to know more deeper meaning of Thruppavai. Once again I thank Ravi ji and Subramaniyan ji to start this thread. I think to know the meaning and retain in my mind, it may take one poem for one month.
The beauty of the words, describing the nature, a lesson for jivathmas are very impressive. AandaL as being a lady, she has got lot of motherhood in Her nature. She cares for others, She already tasted the amirth (union with the paramathma) but she felt for the ignornat souls who are still sleeping on this earth. So she is waking up like Vivekananda and Adhi Sankara. AandaL is standing one step further than Meera, Aandal wants every one should get that amrit. (UIYUM VAZHI) Each and every morning she knocks the door of neighbour and calling to worship the Lord.
It shows Her motherhood.

Ramanaduli

Ravi.N

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 14, 2013, 09:27:33 PM »
Nagaraj,
Thanks very much for the picture for Tiruppavai verse 5-Depicts the lord of wondrous deeds!
Namaskar.

Ravi.N

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 24, 2013, 06:42:16 AM »
Friends,
I will complete the Verse 5 Post by adding to the same post over a period of time.Verse 5 is quite important and we will see how wonderfully AnDAL has structured the verses as an inevitable series-Leaving nothing to chance.She is guaranteeing that all who participate in the satsangh are assured of the Blessings and Grace of The Supreme Divine.
Namaskar.