Author Topic: Tiruppavai-Discussion  (Read 16378 times)

atmavichar100

• View Profile
Tiruppavai-Discussion
« on: December 16, 2012, 02:26:16 PM »
Friends

Sri Subramaniam Sir has opened a thread on Thiruppavai on the auspicious day of starting of Margazhi Season today i,e Sun 16 Dec 2012 and Sri Ravi is also giving the explanation of verses based on the talks of Sage TGN which he has listened to and I do not want to disturb that thread for asking any doubts / discussion of the same and hence opening a new thread for the same .
So let us share our doubts and opinion in this thread without disturbing the other thread and leave it free to Sri Ravi to share his thoughts whenever he feels comfortable doing so .

Om Peace .
However many holy words you read, however many you speak, what good will they do you if you do not act on upon them? - Buddha

Nagaraj

• View Profile
Re: Tiruppavai-Discussion
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2012, 03:04:26 PM »
Thanks to Subramanian Sir and Sri Ravi, it is indeed wonderful for ones like me to get an opportunity to derive the nectar of Tiruppaavai. Otherwise, it needs an extra effort from me who is not so well versed in tamil.

Gratitude

॥ शांतमात्मनि तिष्ट ॥
Remain quietly in the Self.
~ Vasishta

Ravi.N

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2012, 03:48:46 PM »
arcsekar,
yes,pavai also refers to the pupil of the eye.Thanks very much for that wonderful interaction  between mahaperiyava and u ve Swaminatha iyer.In tiruppavai,all seekers are considered as girls only,and the Lord alone is the Male!
I recall the story of mirabai and jiva goswami. One of the most famous anecdotes from her life, relates a meeting she had in Vrindavan with Jiva Goswami, a renowned Vaishnava of the Chaitanya school. Jiva Goswami at first refused to meet with her since she was a woman, whereupon Mirabai is said to have retorted: "I used to think that the Lord Krishna was the only man in Vrindavan and that all the rest of the inhabitants were gopis. Now I’ve discovered that there’s someone else here besides Lord Krishna who thinks of himself as a man."
Namaskar.

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2012, 03:55:19 PM »
Dear Ravi,

Yes. Guru or God is the only Purusha. All jivas are women.

enaik kalanthu ippothu enai azhithidaavil idhuvo aanmai Arunachala!

Sri Bhagavan asks Arunachala: Please unite with me, and destroy my jiva bodham!

Arunachala Siva.   

Ravi.N

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2012, 03:58:40 PM »
Subramanian/atmavichar/Nagaraj/Friends,
Thanks very much for the encouragement and for opening this thread for discussion.TGN used to emphasize that one may use his talks as clues,and not just accept it as a final ;the more one delves into these verses,the more one will find inexhaustible treasures.I hope to share his presentation and insights that are of immense value to all seekers.
The real problem here is what to present and what to leave out!Anyway,I will just give it a try.
Today Evening,I am going to TGN foundation to listen to the pl;ayback of the talks that began on 1st December and are played everyday in the evening at 19:00 hrs at TGN foundation premises.TGN gives a small preamble and postamble on every day.
Namaskar.

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2012, 04:02:32 PM »
Dear Ravi,

Yes. The fact that TGN your Guru has taken 45 days to explain and you are also introducing what Sri Sudarshan had said,
it is bound to be a long serial post. It does not matter. You can write if you can abbreviate or give the entire lecture-content.
No harm.

Arunachala Siva.   

Jewell

• Love,always love and only love
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2012, 03:22:55 AM »
Dear Sri Subramanian sir,

Thank You for opening this thread! It is very interesting for me.

Dear Sri Ravi,

These are very Beautiful posts and writings! I find them very inspirative and true.

Thank You Very much for sharing them!

With love and prayers,

Nagaraj

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2012, 09:43:25 AM »
Friends,

What a blessing indeed, here are the links for Tiruppaavai in the voice of Nithyasri Mahadevan with Arunachala as background. How could this be better :)

Tiruppaavai 1-2-3-4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v5P8vVLeB9w

Tiruppaavai 5-6-7-8
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KyeWhFkLjzE

Tiruppaavai 9-10-11-12-13
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XKxMpmi_AbM

Tiruppaavai 14-15-16-17-18
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZcqkDJD7yb4

Tiruppaavai 19-20-21-22
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mAI3gLdnCno&playnext=1&list=PLD39EB8CE69D81DC8&feature=results_video

Tiruppaavai 23-24-25-26
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JCpE0tKeVSA&list=PLD39EB8CE69D81DC8&index=7

Tiruppaavai 26-27-28-29-30
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AVOlDdAUlcY

॥ शांतमात्मनि तिष्ट ॥
Remain quietly in the Self.
~ Vasishta

Ravi.N

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2012, 06:29:27 AM »
Jewell,
You are indeed Blessed to draw inspiration in this wonderful satsangha of our Lady Andal.I wish to share the wonderful life of this Great one who just graced this Terra firma for a mere 24 years and yet left a lasting treasure for us to live by .Andal ,as we will see in Tiruppavai verses ,had the audacity and authority to ORDER the Supreme Lord to bestow his Grace!'Don't withhold it'-she thunders!
Hopefully ,with her blessings,we will be covering the verses.
Thanks very much for your kind and encouraging words.
Namaskar.

Ravi.N

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2012, 06:35:56 AM »
Nagaraj,
Yes,Nityasree's rendering of Tiruppavai verses is a fine one.The Verses were set to various Ragas by the Late  Sri Ariyakudi Ramanuja Iyengar-and this has now become a defacto standard.All singers follow this meticulously.The Great carnatic Musician smt M L Vasanthakumari's rendering is charming as well.
For those,who wish to hear the words in the verses and at the same time would like to sing it as well,I warmly recommend the rendering of Sikkil Gurucharan & co-A group singing where the words are pronounced as they should be,without drawing long any syllable in the words to suit the music.
Namaskar

Ravi.N

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2012, 07:15:04 AM »
Friends,
TGN 's coverage is quite extensive and I am taking a fast Forward approach!We will cover the 30 verses and get a feel of the import.We may then cover anything in a Html type of approach,if need be.This should give us an ability to recite and internalize this wonderful composition.As we do this,the inner meaning and significance and True spirit will take possession of us,and this is what is important.
Namaskar.

atmavichar100

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2012, 07:29:48 AM »
Nagaraj,
Yes,Nityasree's rendering of Tiruppavai verses is a fine one.The Verses were set to various Ragas by the Late  Sri Ariyakudi Ramanuja Iyengar-and this has now become a defacto standard.All singers follow this meticulously.The Great carnatic Musician smt M L Vasanthakumari's rendering is charming as well.
For those,who wish to hear the words in the verses and at the same time would like to sing it as well,I warmly recommend the rendering of Sikkil Gurucharan & co-A group singing where the words are pronounced as they should be,without drawing long any syllable in the words to suit the music.
Namaskar

It seems Kanchi Paramacharya asked Ariyakudi Ramanuja Iyengar to set the tune for Tiruppavai which has become now a defacto standard .Kanchi Paramacharya was the brain behind the revival of Tiruppavai and Thiruvenpavai chanting during Margazhi season .

I am following Sulamangalam Sisters Tiruppavai and it is quite long i.e each Pasuram is sung for 2 mts with many repetition but is useful for a beginner like me to understand and proceed and it does not have too much Carnatic Music except for the basic tune .I like their clarity of Pronunciation  and for Thiruvampavai I use Dharmapuram Swaminathan who is again very clear in his pronunciation .

Om Peace
However many holy words you read, however many you speak, what good will they do you if you do not act on upon them? - Buddha

atmavichar100

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2012, 07:34:35 AM »
Friends,
TGN 's coverage is quite extensive and I am taking a fast Forward approach!We will cover the 30 verses and get a feel of the import.We may then cover anything in a Html type of approach,if need be.This should give us an ability to recite and internalize this wonderful composition.As we do this,the inner meaning and significance and True spirit will take possession of us,and this is what is important.
Namaskar.

Ravi

I suggest u take an approach that is comfortable for you .The meaning of these divine texts can never be assimilated in a short time as they have lot  of depth .So just give a basic outline for  each pasuram and we can slowly build up . I feel every year we will see these pasurams in a new light .So consider this as an ongoing project and not limited to just this Margazhi .

Om Peace .

atmavichar100

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 19, 2012, 07:44:16 AM »
Thiruppavai -full Traditional Chanting
Some may like the Traditional "Goshti" way of Chanting Thiruppvai  that is done in Temple and hence sharing it here
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=axd8mN9yWTo

Ravi.N

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 19, 2012, 07:55:28 AM »
Krishna(atmavichar),

"I feel every year we will see these pasurams in a new light .So consider this as an ongoing project and not limited to just this Margazhi "

Thanks very much!What you have posted is absolutely true and the way to Go.The Objective is to live every day and every moment as if it is Margazhi Forever.The idea of these 30 days of 'Nonbu' is that it becomes habitual and instinctive,and becomes our very nature and this momentum gathered herein sustains us and propels us  forever.

Namaskar.