Author Topic: Tiruppavai.  (Read 25250 times)

Ravi.N

• View Profile
Re: Tiruppavai.
« Reply #105 on: March 30, 2014, 08:20:23 AM »
Verse 13 continued...

Sri Ramakrishna says that there are three types of teachers in this excerpt from The Gospel of Sri Ramakrishna:

There are three types of religious teachers. The inferior teacher only gives instruction to the disciples but makes no inquiries about their progress. The mediocre teacher, for the good of the student, makes repeated efforts to bring the instruction home to him, begs him to assimilate it, and shows him love in many other ways. But there is a type of teacher who goes to the length of using force when he finds the student persistently unyielding; I call him the best teacher.

Our Lady AnDAL belongs to this third type of Teacher.She uses every device in her repertoire to ensure that the devotees join the satsangha and  benefit by it,and advance in their journey as well as help others make progress.She uses endearment,cajoling,a friendly taunt,calling a bluff,a reminder to a pledge,etc,etc.

She also ensures that each and every devotees's individual preferences and predilections are given their full play -and that these are not drowned in the name of a common ,collective objective.There are some devotees for whom the chosen ideal is Lord Rama and some whose chosen ideal is Lord Krishna.

She categorically and unambiguously states that it is Lord nArAyana who manifests as Lord Rama and also as Lord Krishna.He is the Lord of wondrous deeds -As Lord Rama he entirely hid all his supreme Glories and behaved like a human being,a valorous and noble one at that;as Lord Krishna he displayed all his supreme powers even as a child!

In these verses she dexterously weaves now the story of Rama and next the story of Krishna alternately-in verse 10 it is the valour of  Lord Rama,in verse 11 it is the beauty of  Lord Krishna and again in verse 12 it is the praise of Lord Rama.

Now in verse 13 she combines the presentation and sings  the Glory of Rama and Krishna!

புள்ளின்வாய் கீண்டானை, பொல்லா அரக்கனைக்
கிள்ளிக் களைந்தானைக் கீர்த்திமை பாடிப்போய்,
பிள்ளைகள் எல்லாரும் பாவைக்களம் புக்கார்
;

புள்ளின்வாய் கீண்டானை puLLinvAy keeNdAnai -Refers to Lord Krishna  who clove in twain the beak of the bird(that was a demon in disguise named bakAsuran).

பொல்லா அரக்கனைக் கிள்ளிக் களைந்தானைக் pollA arakkanai kiLLi kaLainddhAnai -Refers to Lord RAmA who  with supreme ease plucked  and weeded out
another malefic demon( Ravana)

கீர்த்திமை பாடிப்போய்,  பிள்ளைகள் எல்லாரும் பாவைக்களம் புக்கார் keerthimai pAdippOy, piLLaigaL ellArum pAvaikkaLam pukkAr-Singing the valorous history, all the girls have entered the venue of our penance.

continued....
« Last Edit: March 30, 2014, 08:50:32 AM by Ravi.N »

Ravi.N

• View Profile
« Reply #106 on: March 30, 2014, 09:11:05 AM »
Verse 13 continued...

In verse 8 we saw how AnDAL has said:

மிக்குள்ள பிள்ளைகளும் போவான் போகின்றாரைப் போகாமல் காத்து உன்னைக் கூவுவான் வந்து நின்றோம் mikkuLLa piLLaigaLum
pOvAn pOginRArai pOgAmal kAththunnai koovuvAn vanddhu ninROm Detaining the other girls who would have otherwise gone, we are standing here,in order to call you out.

Here in verse 13 she says:

கீர்த்திமை பாடிப்போய்,  பிள்ளைகள் எல்லாரும் பாவைக்களம் புக்கார் keerthimai pAdippOy, piLLaigaL ellArum pAvaikkaLam pukkAr-Singing the valorous history, all the girls have entered the venue of our penance.

It is hard to check the enthusiasm of the children - பிள்ளைகள்.They have already reached the venue of the penance now and our girl is still in bed!

வெள்ளி எழுந்து வியாழம் உறங்கிற்று   veLLi ezhunddhu,vyAzham uRanggitRu  Venus arising,Jupiter has gone to slumber;
This is to say that it is not yet dawn;such is the brisk nature of these devotees that they are quick to spring to their feet to join the satsangh.No time is wasted in this calling of the devotees,from door to door.

புள்ளும் சிலம்பினகாண்; போதரிக் கண்ணினாய்! puLLum silambinakAN;pOdhari kaNNinAy!even the birds are chirping:O damsel with flower-like eyes(with radiating crimson-lines)

புள்ளும் சிலம்பினகாண் puLLum silambinakAN  even the birds are chirping.Here is a repeat of this very same phrase from verse 6 and it confirms that it is still predawn period.

போதரி pOdhari =Flower .

போதரிக் கண்ணினாய்! pOdhari kaNNinAy!O damsel with flower-like eyes!
This refers to the gentle nature of sleep of this girl in bed.The Lids are like petals ,half closed in apparent slumber.

continued....
« Last Edit: March 31, 2014, 06:33:40 AM by Ravi.N »

Ravi.N

• View Profile
« Reply #107 on: March 31, 2014, 07:04:22 AM »
verse 13 continued...

AnDAl is again doing a quick recapitulation of what she has said in verse 6:

வித்தினை உள்ளத்துக் கொண்டு முனிவர்களும் யோகிகளும் மெள்ள எழுந்து அரி என்ற பேரரவம் உள்ளம் புகுந்து குளிர்ந்தேலோர் எம்பாவாய்!
Holding Him in heart,sages and yogis,as they awaken gently and chant the name "Hari",their incantation gathering volume reverberates in rumbling resonance
to enter our minds and impart serenity.Listen and ponder,our girl!

Here in this verse 13 she is saying:

குள்ளக் குளிரக் குடைந்து நீராடாதே, kuLLa kuLira kudainddhu neerAdAdhE instead of plunging deep in the cooling waters

குள்ளக் குளிர kuLLa kuLira to dive within  and to cool.

குடைந்து kudainddhu means ஆழ்ந்து or plunging deep

குளிர  நீராடாதே kuLira neerAdAdhE not cooling in the waters.

AnDAL is referring to the plunging within in the cool water of the Self.

பள்ளிக் கிடத்தியோ? பாவாய் நீ நன்னாளால்!  paLLi kidaththiyO?pAvAy nee nannALAl how is it you are still stretched out in bed?Today being a good day!

நன்னாளால்! 

Again AnDAL is using the same phrase she begins TiruppAvai,verse 1:

மார்கழித் திங்கள் மதி நிறைந்த நன்னாளால்

This is to say that every day is auspicious when the mind is plunged deep in the consciousness of God or self.

TGN loves to quote this wonderful saying of Henry David Thoreau:

Only that day dawns to which we are awake. There is more day to dawn. The sun is but a morning star.

நன்னாள் is just such a Day.

we see how wonderfully AnDAL is driving home all the key points by skillfully recapitulating them every now and then in these verses.

continued...
« Last Edit: March 31, 2014, 07:58:04 AM by Ravi.N »

Ravi.N

• View Profile
« Reply #108 on: April 01, 2014, 08:19:17 AM »
Verse 13 continued...

பள்ளிக் கிடத்தியோ? paLLi kidaththiyO? how is it you are still stretched out in bed?

The Girl in the house is lying stretched out in the bed ,as if asleep.Is she asleep?No and AnDAL knows this.

கள்ளம் தவிர்ந்து கலந்தேலோரெம்பாவாய்!  kaLLam thavirnddhu kalanddhElOrempAvAy give up artifice and come and join us.Listen and Ponder,Our girl!

கள்ளம் kaLLam stealth, concealment.

The word களவு in Tamizh means Theft;it also means a secret Love affair.They both have this quality of கள்ளம்-doing it without anyone else knowing about it.

TGN points to the proverb in Tamizh:

களவும் கற்று மற kaLavum kaRRu maRa-This is popularlu misunderstood to mean that one should even learn to steal and forget it-Meaning that that one should learn everything.No,this is not what it means.The களவு that it refers to is the secret Love affair,where the partners get to know each other in privacy.Having got to know each other,the partners should proceed to the next step-Get Married.No longer should they carry on the affair in secrecy.They should be now prepared to be declared as man and wife.

How is this relevant here.The Girl in the house lying stretched out in bed is just carrying a love affair with the Lord.She has this  கள்ளம்.

AnDAL is calling out to her to give up this artifice ,கள்ளம்-She tells the girl stretched on the bed:

கள்ளம் தவிர்ந்து கலந்து-Give up this artifice and join us-கலந்து and do share your experience so that we rejoice in your company.

TGN points out this wonderful TirukkuraL:

விருந்து புறத்ததாத் தானுண்டல் சாவா
மருந்தெனினும் வேண் டற்பாற் றன்று

It is not desirable to eat alone leaving out others,even if it be a Feast of amrita that bestows immortality.

Here is an excerpt from The Gospel of Sri Ramakrishna:

Some eat mangoes secretly and remove all trace of them by wiping their mouths with a towel. But some share the fruit with others. There are sages who, even after attaining Knowledge, work to help others and also to enjoy the Bliss of God in the company of devotees. 'I want to eat sugar. I don't want to be sugar.'

The gopis of Vrindavan, too, attained the Knowledge of Brahman; but they were not seeking It. They wanted to enjoy God, looking on themselves as His mother, His friend, His handmaid, or His lover

AnDAL in this spirit is bidding the girl in the house lying stretched on the bed to give up her pretence and come and join the satsangh,and share her experience with others.

« Last Edit: April 01, 2014, 09:56:37 AM by Ravi.N »

Ravi.N

• View Profile
« Reply #109 on: April 01, 2014, 11:26:18 AM »
Verse 14

உங்கள் புழக்கடைத் தோட்டத்து வாவியுள்
செங்கழுனீர் வாய்நெகிழ்ந்து ஆம்பல்வாய் கூம்பின காண்;
செங்கற் பொடிக்கூறை வெண்பல் தவத்தவர்
தங்கள் திருக்கோயில் சங்கிடுவான்  போகின்றார்;
எங்களை முன்னம் எழுப்புவான் வாய்பேசும்
நங்காய்! எழுந்திராய், நாணாதாய்! நாவுடையாய்!
சங்கொடு சக்கரம் ஏந்தும் தடக்கையன்
பங்கயக் கண்ணானைப் பாடேலோரெம்பாவாய்.

unggaL puzhakkadai thOttaththu vAviyuL
sengkazhuneer vAynegizhnddhu AmbalvAy koombinakAN;
sengkal podikkooRai veNpal thavaththavar,
thanggaL thirukkOyil sanggiduvAn pOginRAr;
enggalai munnam ezhuppuvAn vAypEsum
nanggAy!ezhunddhirAy,nANAdhAy!nAvudaiyAy!
sanggodu chakkaram Enddhum thadakkaiyan
panggaya kaNNAnai pAdElOrempAvAy.

Your Own Garden

Even within the pond in the back-yard garden of yours
chenkazhunir flowers have loosened their petals
whereas the Ambal blossoms have closed into buds.
The ascetics with raiment red as brick-dust and
whose teeth are white are proceeding on their task
to blow the conch in their own temples.
Awaken,O damsel,you of tall talk
who had glibly promised to come and arouse us!
Unashamed are you and one with wagging tongue!
come and sing with us the glory of the Lord
Whose eyes are like the lotus and Who holds aloft
in His mighty hands the conch and the discus.
Listen and ponder,our girl!

continued.....
« Last Edit: April 03, 2014, 06:07:27 AM by Ravi.N »

Nagaraj

• View Profile
« Reply #110 on: April 01, 2014, 11:40:12 AM »

Though promised earlier to arouse all,
this girl is blamed

In your backyard garden pond
Lotus hath opened its petals benign;
Lily hath closed its petals as a cone;
Lo! Brick power hue attir'd
White-toothed monks are afoot
To trumpet conch in their temple divine;
Vouched to arouse us, pompously you mouth
Vivacious your tongue lassie unabashed;
His eye is a la lotus; and arm a hillock fine
Toting conch and wheel that shines.
Arise, sing! Listen and consider, our damsel.
A gopi who is an expert orator and who is also chief among these girls is woken up. She had promised that she would get up before the rest and wake them up. She has conveniently forgotten all about it and is sleeping comfortably and peacefully. This is an unpardonable crime. But still her inclusion in the group is most essential as, with her silver tongue, she can easily subdue Krishna. Moreover it is essential that not a single girl loses His grace. If she were to sing of Krishna as He appears bearing the discus and conch He is sure to relent.

Incidentally Andal tells us, "Use your tongue not merely for tasting delicious dishes, but for singing about the Lotus-eyed One. That was the main purpose for which it was gifted to you in the first place by God."

(Verse 14)
॥ शांतमात्मनि तिष्ट ॥
Remain quietly in the Self.
~ Vasishta

Ravi.N

• View Profile
« Reply #111 on: April 09, 2014, 07:20:00 AM »
Verse 14 continued....

It will be helpful to see how AnDAL has structured this verse,the  Rhyme and choice of words:

உங்கள் ungaL =your ;தங்கள் thangaL =their ;எங்கள் engaL Our ,Us.

செங்கழுனீர் sengkazhuneer Red Water Lily ;செங்கற் பொடி sengkaRpodi Ochre powder

ஆம்பல் Ambal White Water Lily   வெண்பல் veNpal  வெண் + பல் White Many (and not interpret this as as White Teeth).

Approaching the house of the Girl who had shown a lot of enthusiasm to join the satsangh and had offered to wake up others early in the morning,AnDAL and a few other girls find her still lying on the bed!

உங்கள் புழக்கடைத் தோட்டத்து வாவியுள்
செங்கழுனீர் வாய்நெகிழ்ந்து ஆம்பல்வாய் கூம்பின காண்;

புழக்கடை puzhakkadai Back-yard  ; வாவி vAvi pond

unggaL puzhakkadai thOttaththu vAviyuL
sengkazhuneer vAynegizhnddhu AmbalvAy koombinakAN
;

Even within the pond in the back-yard garden of yours chenkazhunir flowers have loosened their petals whereas the Ambal blossoms have closed into buds.

This is to say that even the Flowers are acting as per their Dharma-It is the very Nature of the Night Lily  ஆம்பல் to bloom in the Night and close its petals as the day approaches;It is the very Nature of  செங்கழுனீர் to blossom in the day-further they point to the girl seemingly asleep that All this is happening right before you,in the very backyard of her home-உங்கள் புழக்கடை

செங்கற் பொடிக் கூறை  வெண்பல் தவத்தவர்
தங்கள் திருக்கோயில் சங்கிடுவான்  போகின்றார்

sengkal podikkooRai veNpal thavaththavar,
thanggaL thirukkOyil sanggiduvAn pOginRAr

கூறை kooRai =Robe,Garment. செங்கற் பொடிக் கூறை  வெண்-Refers to Garments ,both Ochre and White.

செங்கற் பொடிக் கூறை வெண் பல் தவத்தவர் =Ascetics wearing Ochre Robes as well as White Robed ones ,Like this many Devotees are proceeding to their temples to blow the conch.The Conch is blown in the temples prior to the beginning of the Ritualistic worship.

This way,AnDAL is pointing out to the girl that it is well past the time for getting up;the other devotees are adhering to their Dharma and going about their worship while  the girl in the bed is still asleep.

continued...
« Last Edit: April 09, 2014, 08:26:49 AM by Ravi.N »

Ravi.N

• View Profile
« Reply #112 on: April 17, 2014, 07:42:47 AM »
Verse 14 continued....

எங்களை முன்னம் எழுப்புவான் வாய்பேசும் நங்காய்! எழுந்திராய், நாணாதாய்! நாவுடையாய்!  enggalai munnam ezhuppuvAn vAypEsum nanggAy ezhunddhirAy,nANAdhAy!nAvudaiyAy!Awaken,O damsel,you of tall talk who had glibly promised to come and arouse us!

AnDAL is chiding the girl in bed for not keeping her word-This girl had offered to  get up earlier than others and wake them up!Now she is still lying in bed and is late.

Keeping up a word given is an important aspect of Truthfulness.

TGN Elaborates on the meaning of the word நாகரிகம் nAgarigam in Tamizh-Civilization.The word is a compounded from  three words-நா +அகம்+இரிகம்
நா nA means tongue;அகம் agam means heart ;இரிகம் irigam means mind.

நாகரிகம் means that what is in the Heart should reflect in the mind and what is in the mind should issue out in words-In other words all the three should be aligned -One should be Truthful in thought word and deed.

In The Gospel of Sri Ramakrishna ,the Master emphasizes this very important aspect of keeping up one's word.

April 6, 1885
Sri Ramakrishna sat in the drawing-room of Balaram's house talking to M. It was a very hot day and long past three o'clock. He had come to Calcutta to see some of his young disciples and also to visit Devendra's house.
MASTER (to M.): "I gave my word that I would be here at three o'clock; so I have come. But it is very hot."
M: "Yes, sir, you must have suffered very much."
The devotees were fanning Sri Ramakrishna.

If a man clings tenaciously to truth he ultimately realizes God. Without this regard for truth, one gradually loses everything. If by chance I say that I will go to the pine-grove, I must go there even if there is no further need of it, lest I lose my attachment to truth. After my vision of the Divine Mother, I prayed to Her, taking a flower in my hands: 'Mother, here is Thy knowledge and here is Thy ignorance. Take them both, and give me only pure love. Here is Thy holiness and here is Thy unholiness. Take them both, Mother, and give me pure love. Here is Thy good and here is Thy evil. Take them both, Mother, and give me pure love. Here is Thy righteousness, and here is Thy unrighteousness. Take them both, Mother, and give me pure love.' I mentioned all these, but I could not say: 'Mother, here is Thy truth and here is Thy falsehood. Take them both.' I gave up everything at Her feet but could not bring myself to give up truth."

Master's adherence to truth
MASTER (to Prankrishna and the others): "If a man leads a householder's life he must have unflagging devotion to truth. God can be realized through truth alone. Formerly I was very particular about telling the truth, though now my zeal has abated a little. If I said, 'I shall bathe', then I would get into the water of the Ganges, recite the mantra, and sprinkle a little water over my head. But still there would remain some doubt in me as to whether my bath was complete. Once I went to Ram's house in Calcutta. I happened to say, 'I shall not take any luchi.' When I sat down for the meal I felt hungry. But I had said I would not eat the luchi; so I had to fill my stomach with sweets. (All laugh.)

Lady AnDAL is emphasizing this aspect of adherence to Truth as indispensable to all seekers.

continued...

Ravi.N

• View Profile
« Reply #113 on: April 18, 2014, 09:36:04 AM »
Verse 14 continued...

சங்கொடு சக்கரம் ஏந்தும் தடக்கையன் பங்கயக் கண்ணானைப் பாடேலோரெம்பாவாய் sanggodu chakkaram Enddhum thadakkaiyan panggaya kaNNAnai pAdElOrempAvAy come and sing with us the glory of the Lord Whose eyes are like the lotus and Who holds aloft in His mighty hands the conch and the discus.
Listen and ponder,our girl!

AnDAL is bidding the girl to arise and join the others in singing the praise of the Lord.This is the sweet and sure way of attaining God.This is the best way to deploy the tongue to good use.

In the Gospel of Sri Ramakrishna,the Master says:

All the sins of the body fly away if one chants the name of God and sings His glories. The birds of sin dwell in the tree of the body. Singing the name of God is like clapping your hands. As, at a clap of the hands, the birds in the tree flyaway, so do our sins disappear at the chanting of God's name and glories

« Last Edit: April 18, 2014, 09:44:29 AM by Ravi.N »

Ravi.N

• View Profile
« Reply #114 on: April 18, 2014, 10:15:39 AM »
Verse 15

எல்லே இளங்கிளியே! இன்னம் உறங்குதியோ?
சில்லென்றழையேன்மின், நங்கைமீர்! போதர்கின்றேன்;
'வல்லை, உன் கட்டுரைகள்! பண்டே உன்வாயறிதும்!'
'வல்லீர்கள் நீங்களே நானேதான் ஆயிடுக!'
'ஒல்லைநீ போதாய், உனக்கென்ன வேறுடையை?'
'எல்லோரும் போந்தாரோ?' 'போந்தார், போந்து எண்ணிக்கொள்'
வல்லானை கொன்றானை, மாற்றாரை மாற்றழிக்க
வல்லானை, மாயனைப் பாடேலோரெம்பாவாய்

ellE iLangkiLiyE!innam uRanggudhiyO?
sillenRazhaiyEnmin,nangaimeer!pOdharkinREn;
'vallai,un katturaigaL!paNdey unvAyaRidhum!'
'vallergaL neenggaLE,nAnEdhAn Ayiduga!'
'ollainee pOdhAy,unakkenna vERudaiyai?'
'ellOrum pOnddhArO?' 'pOnddhAr,pOnddhu eNNikkoL.'
vallAnai konRAnai,mAtRArai mAtRazhikka
vallAnai,mAyanai pAdElOrempAvAy.

COUNT YOURSELF
'What is this,young parrot,are you still in slumber?'
'Don't call me in frosty pricks,I'll come out anon'.
'You're adept in word of mouth and for long
have we known your prowess in this line!'
'you're the folks who are adepts:Oh,let me the one.'
'Step out quickly,girlie,what's your preoccupation?'
'Are all the girls present?' 'Yes,come and count yourself.'
Let us sing the praise of the Lord of wondrous deeds,
who slew the terrible elephant and who has the might in Him
to destroy the enmity of those that oppose Him,
Listen and Ponder,our Girl!

« Last Edit: April 19, 2014, 08:35:25 AM by Ravi.N »

Nagaraj

• View Profile
« Reply #115 on: April 20, 2014, 08:49:42 AM »

Charactrestrics of Superior Bhakti (Utthama Sri Vaishnavaas)

"Hey, little bird, Are you still sleeping?
             "Don't disturb my sleep, Lasses, I will just come".
"You are good in your speech, We know what you mean."
             "You be good, but leave me alone"
"Come quickly, why is it different for you?"
             "Have every one gone?"
"Gone, think they have gone"
"Please wake up and sing,
Of he who killed the big elephant,
Of him who can remove enmity from enemies,
And of him who is the holy enchanter,
And worship our Goddess Pavai."

(Verse 15)
« Last Edit: April 20, 2014, 09:01:51 AM by Nagaraj »
॥ शांतमात्मनि तिष्ट ॥
Remain quietly in the Self.
~ Vasishta

Ravi.N

• View Profile
« Reply #116 on: April 26, 2014, 10:42:03 AM »
Verse 15 continued....

Verse 15 is central and is unique in many ways:

1.It is in the form of a conversation between the group of girls outside and the girl in bed.
2.This is the only verse where the first person singular நான் nAn -'I' is featured.In the whole of TiruppAvai,the First person singular cannot be found anywhere else-It will always be in first person plural - நாமும் நம் நாங்கள் எங்கள்-Meaning We too,our,we, our or us.
3.The நானேதான் ஆயிடுக! is the central theme,as will be seen a little later.

AnDAL  begins this verse  with an interjection-எல்லே! ellE Hey-in a spirit of mock contempt.

எல்லே இளங்கிளியே! இன்னம் உறங்குதியோ? ellE iLangkiLiyE!innam uRanggudhiyO? 'What is this,young parrot,are you still in slumber?

The girl lying in bed is called as a 'young parrot'-for she hears the other girls singing the names of the lord .Irresistible as it is,she lends her voice and joins in the singing while still in bed.

AnDAL endearingly and in a spirit of mock contempt calls her எல்லே இளங்கிளியே! adding further இன்னம் உறங்குதியோ? -How come you are still in slumber?You should have been ready and should have joined us.

continued....

Ravi.N

• View Profile
« Reply #117 on: December 16, 2017, 06:28:04 AM »
Verse 15 continued....
சில்லென்றழையேன்மின், நங்கைமீர்! போதர்கின்றேன்....sillenRazhaiyEnmin,nangaimeer!pOdharkinREn......'Don't call me in frosty pricks,I'll come out anon'
The girl responds sharply!....It is not any sort of lassitude that is keeping her in bed...she is in communion with the Lord and would brook no interruption!

'வல்லை, உன் கட்டுரைகள்! பண்டே உன்வாயறிதும்!'...vallai,un katturaigaL!paNdey unvAyaRidhum!...'You're adept in word of mouth and for long have we known your prowess in this line!'....Andal  playfully chides the girl who had expressed all eagerness  and had said that she would be waiting in a state of readiness to join the satsangh...and now she is not only keeping them waiting but engaging them in a sharp exchange of words!

'வல்லீர்கள் நீங்களே நானேதான் ஆயிடுக!'...'valleergaL neenggaLE,nAnEdhAn Ayiduga!'...'you're the folks who are adepts:Oh,let me the one'.
The girl initially reacts and says 'You  folks are the ones who are adepts in talking' ....and  immediately stops in her tracks and says 'Oh,let me be the one who is at fault'...This is the mark of a great soul that she never blames others but simply accepts responsibility for what has happened and moves ahead....It is not as if she had loitered longer in her bed unmindful of the presence of the gathered folks...it is just that she had lost herself in the communion with the lord...nevertheless she accepts responsibility for having unintentionally delayed them in the process and engaging them in a sharp exchange of words.
This trait of not blaming others and to accept responsibility for any untoward happening is called 'Vaishnava Lakshanam' (The Defining trait of a True Vaishnava...A vaishnava is a devotee of Lord Vishnu) ...It is worth noting that this is the only place in the whole of Tiruppavai where the first person singular (the word நான் nan or I) occurs...The true devotee never blames others and takes the blame on himself ....For all other purposes it is always 'We','ours','us' but when it comes to any blemish it is 'I'!
« Last Edit: December 17, 2017, 04:55:55 AM by Ravi.N »