Author Topic: what is the meaning of life ?  (Read 2011 times)

right2be

• View Profile
what is the meaning of life ?
« on: December 15, 2012, 07:51:07 PM »
Hello Everybody,

Its been a few weeks since i've been on, i hope everybody is doing very well.

I have been curious to the age old question, what is the meaning of life ? I know Bhagavan says our purpose is to be ones true self, what is not permanent is not worth striving for. But why does that mean that it is not worth knowing the purpose of life which persists throughout the universe, it seems as though its not fair that we are never given an answer to this question. Why are there human bodies, what is the purpose of all living things on earth and possibly the entire universe, is there some divine plan that all living things are contributing to ? has Bhagavan or anybody else ever been able to answer this ? I feel that if i know the purpose of life, i may more easily be able to surrender the body to this cause and work on self enquiry with minimum distractions. There are so many thoughts that mind always come up with to try to settle with one perspective on life and know it so that the body can dedicate itself this one activity and disregard all others. This would create so much less thoughts with the mind, and stick to one activity and not thinking to do this or that or all these other things.

If we always have been the true self, not mind or body, what happened to make us believe we are mind and body ? does that not just mean that after we realise our self the same thing can happen which we will once again be divulged in the illusion of the mind ? i mean that if it can happen one time through time and space that we no longer recognise true self and take mind to be real, cant it happen again even after we become self realised ?

Thanks

Nagaraj

• View Profile
Re: what is the meaning of life ?
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2012, 07:55:51 PM »
Life is a journey,

from the destination
to the destination.

॥ शांतमात्मनि तिष्ट ॥
Remain quietly in the Self.
~ Vasishta

Jewell

• Love,always love and only love
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2012, 08:22:13 PM »
Dear right2be, How i see it,the purpose of life is realisation of our true nature. Other purpose is the play,love,Divine Leela. But to truly enjoy God's play we need to know who we are,and what kind of play exactly is. Sure,we have some noble purpose. Thats the meaning of all this. But we will know it when we become more pure in heart and mind,and we can do that only through striving for realisation. And that fight,with chalenges of life,with our choices and decisions,are part of the Sadhana also. It ask from us the trust,faith and courage,and ask us to strive hard,to have only one objective in mind,Self Realisation. When that is our prime goal,everything else will setle,we will become more clear and intuitive,and be able to know our purpose here. Sure,that doasnt mean,we wouldnt want anything else,but it only means we can menage without it,and if there is the need,we will give it up in turn for Realisation. But that dont need to happen,our motive and willing is the most important.

Jewell

• Love,always love and only love
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2012, 08:40:11 PM »
And if we become Self Realised,we will never again be ignorant,or deluded againt. It is the one way road. Then,we can be and do only what we chose to. Nothing is imposed on us. Also,all that strife doasnt mean we should deny life. Not at all. But our main purpose should be this,and it can be reconciled with life,and some noble dream and purpose. They go hand in hand with one another. Life is a stage where we can apply all what we have learned and our introspection and awareness. So,when we are faced with hard decision,and choices,we can only be patient enough and wait that our intuition become strong and mind clear,so we can decide the right thing. Or just to jump and prepare ourself to any kind of lessons and ending. That is the way i see it. With love and prayers,

sanjaya_ganesh

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2012, 08:41:40 PM »
Dear right2be

Have you asked the question - "Did chicken come first or egg?". Have you been asked - "Did seed come first or plant?". Will you ever be able to answer that question if you keep asking and giving intelligent answers? And you know what the answer is - when you find the source from which both plant and seed came. When you find that source - you will know that it is that same source which "shows itself" as seed at times and plant as some other times. So the question - "Seed or plant first" stops and drops dead there and then. When you know that it is the sand / earth itself which shows itself as seed and plant, you have not more questions. How do you know it is the sand / earth itself which shows as seed and plant? Put both of them in sand / earth for few days - and you will see both will turn into sand / earth. Simple !  Why waste time asking "seed first or plant first?". Will you ever find an answer? Immerse in source and you will see it becoming the source itself.

Hope that answers
Sanjay
Salutations to Bhagawan

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2012, 09:59:40 AM »
Dear sanjaya,

I agree with you. Nochur Venkataraman quotes from some body: Break the egg. Kill the chicken. Touch the ground
and pray to Mother Earth to confer fulfillment in life, i.e,. knowing one's own source and be still.

Arunachala Siva.   

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2012, 10:14:48 AM »
Quote:
"Dear right2be, How i see it,the purpose of life is realisation of our true nature. Other purpose is the play,love,Divine Leela. But to truly enjoy God's play we need to know who we are,and what kind of play exactly is. Sure,we have some noble purpose. Thats the meaning of all this. But we will know it when we become more pure in heart and mind,and we can do that only through striving for realisation. And that fight,with chalenges of life,with our choices and decisions,are part of the Sadhana also. It ask from us the trust,faith and courage,and ask us to strive hard,to have only one objective in mind,Self Realisation. When that is our prime goal,everything else will setle,we will become more clear and intuitive,and be able to know our purpose here. Sure,that doasnt mean,we wouldnt want anything else,but it only means we can menage without it,and if there is the need,we will give it up in turn for Realisation. But that dont need to happen,our motive and willing is the most important."

Dear Sri Jewell,

Yes. This is a very beautiful post. Thanks very much.

Pranam,
  Anil

Beloved Abstract

• View Profile
    • David Ford Art
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2012, 07:21:25 PM »
Q:  what is the purpose of life ?

A:  WHO AM I - to want to know the purpose of life ?

:)
simply stop telling the story of the self and see who you are without it

ramana_maharshi

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2012, 10:55:49 PM »
yes well said udai garu.

Ravi.N

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2012, 11:16:28 PM »
The earliest preoccupation of man in his awakened thoughts and, as it seems, his inevitable and ultimate preoccupation,—for it survives the longest periods of scepticism and returns after every banishment,—is also the highest which his thought can envisage. It manifests itself in the divination of Godhead, the impulse towards perfection, the search after pure Truth and unmixed Bliss, the sense of a secret immortality. The ancient dawns of human knowledge have left us their witness to this constant aspiration; today we see a humanity satiated but not satisfied by victorious analysis of the externalities of Nature preparing to return to its primeval longings. The earliest formula of Wisdom promises to be its last, — God, Light, Freedom, Immortality.

Sri Aurobindo

ksksat27

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2012, 08:42:47 AM »
"
If we always have been the true self, not mind or body, what happened to make us believe we are mind and body ? does that not just mean that after we realise our self the same thing can happen which we will once again be divulged in the illusion of the mind ? i mean that if it can happen one time through time and space that we no longer recognise true self and take mind to be real, cant it happen again even after we become self realised ?

Thanks
[/quote]

right2be, 

this is a nice thought which came to me also

but please understand this:   even after our liberation,  when we abide as absolute,  there will be rise of many mind and egos in creation,  but the past ego of liberated person never arises.

there will be many creations,  but once a ego gets destroyed and sits in absolute state,  it is just becoming entire creation.  So there is no trace of ego to arise again.  Whatever egos arise in next creation cycle are entirely new egos  not the one which got liberated.

the one that got liberated  forever becomes the entire creation  or nothing and whoever prays prays to that only.