Author Topic: Extensive Power Cuts in Tamil Nadu  (Read 1743 times)

Graham

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Extensive Power Cuts in Tamil Nadu
« on: December 14, 2012, 06:42:27 PM »
For the past six months or so we have been subjected to power cuts of up to 14 hours per day, with an average of 12 hours and some days extending to 16 hours.

At first the cuts were regular and predictable, which meant that you could cope with them, organising your life, including work around them. Recently however they have become totally random both in duration and timing, with cuts of up to four hours at a time and power on for only 10 minutes at the shortest, up to an hour or two. As a result batteries cannot charge properly and even a UPS cannot charge fully (after a few days they get totally drained).

Prior to this we had four hours cuts per day at the most, with the cities sharing the burden. However, the cities now get two hours cuts a day and the rest of Tamil Nadu gets at least 12 hours of cuts and up to 20 hours of cuts in the villages (so I am told).

Why the cuts are so irregular now is open to question, perhaps the powers-that-be don't want us to get bored with repetitive hours, or perhaps they fear that people will use more power if they know when the cuts are coming.

Whatever the cause it is disrupting everyone's lives and livelihoods. Perhaps they should rethink their strategy and be a little fairer to the vast majority of Tamilians who after all contribute far more to the economy than just a couple of cities.

Graham

Jewell

• Love,always love and only love
    • View Profile
Re: Extensive Power Cuts in Tamil Nadu
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2012, 08:00:28 PM »
Dear Sir Graham,

Those power cuts are very bad and sad thing. Specially when it is happening so long,and with that much duration. Electricity is one thing which is very necessary,because it bring many other problems with it,like problems with water,storage of food,specialy when it is very hot outside. Well,i dont know how is that regulated in Tamil Nadu,but we in my country,had all these problems because power cuts. We had them for few years,during embargo and war,and i dont know how we would menage now without it. Having in mind that there is also very hot,i can imagine what difficulties it brings. 

Worse from all that is that that only people who dont live in large cities are suffering mostly. It should be shared equaly,specialy because big cities are spending and using more power. Sadly,it is always like that,until majority of people start complaining.

I hope that will change soon,so people there can live normal life,like they deserve.

With love and prayers,
« Last Edit: December 14, 2012, 08:15:38 PM by Jewell »

atmavichar100

• View Profile
Re: Extensive Power Cuts in Tamil Nadu
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2012, 09:18:23 PM »

Extensive Power Cuts in Tamil Nadu

Graham

The biggest Sadhana for people in Tamil Nadu especially in Tier-2 and Tier-3 cities is to cope up with this massive  and unpredictable power cuts . Right now till Feb 2013 it is Ok as the day time temperature is not much but and people do not use much A/Cs and fans but come March 2013 when the temperature shoots up we will see a massive usage of power and more frequent power cuts .In cities though more power is there ,during summer there will be low voltage to such an extent most of heavy appliances wont be able to be used and also the transformers will be getting frequently burnt out unable to cope up with the load .
The Tamil Nadu CM has promised that the situation will be set right by Dec 2013 so we need to be prepared for some harsh times for 1 more year until some solution comes .
We just need to wait and watch .

However many holy words you read, however many you speak, what good will they do you if you do not act on upon them? - Buddha