Author Topic: PSEUDO-VEDANTIC STUDENT - Swami Sivananda  (Read 1695 times)

atmavichar100

• View Profile
PSEUDO-VEDANTIC STUDENT - Swami Sivananda
« on: December 09, 2012, 11:38:42 AM »
PSEUDO-VEDANTIC STUDENT from the book Vedanta For Beginners  by Swami Sivananda
A young aspirant says: “I have taste for Vedanta only. I do not like either Bhakti or Karma
Yoga. They are far inferior to Vedanta. Only Vedanta elevates me.
Only Vedanta inspires me and
raises me to the magnanimous heights of Divine Splendour and Glory.”
This foolish Vedantic student is like the greedy typhoid patient with ulcers in his bowels,
who wants to eat and says, “I have taste for sweetmeats. I want to eat them now.” What will be the result if he eats Rasagullas and Laddus at this stage? The bowels will rupture and he will die of
bleeding from the bowels or intestinal haemorrhage immediately.
He is also like the patient who selects himself a medicine from the almirah, Liquor
Arsenicalis or Tr. of Opium, and says, “I like this medicine only. I want to taste this now.” What
will happen if he tastes this medicine without consulting the doctor? He will die of arsenical or
opium poisoning. He does not know the dose of the medicine. Instead of taking a few drops he may
take them in a large quantity and give up his vital breath at once. It is the doctor alone who can select the right medicine for the patient.
Everybody cannot want to become a Commissioner or District Collector or Governor
without possessing the necessary qualifications. Can anyone become an M.A., Ph.D., without
undergoing the course for Matriculation, F.A. and B.A.?
It is the Guru alone who can select the right type of Yoga for the aspirant and right kind of
books for him.
He knows the degree of evolution of the student and he alone can chalk out the right path for the aspirant. He will ask him to study first Atma-Bodha, Tattva-Bodha,
Atma-Anatma-Viveka. But the raw self-willed student goes to the library and at once takes up the
highly advanced books, Yoga-Vasishtha and Brahma-Sutras, for his study!
He becomes a
pseudo-Vedantin or lip-Vedantin within six months and enters into discussions with elderly
aspirants.

A little knowledge is a dangerous thing. After studying Yoga-Vasishtha and the Karikas on
Mandukya Upanishad for six months, he says: “There is no world in the three periods of time.
Aham Brahma Asmi—Sivoham—Sivah Kevaloham.” He is puffed up with empty pride, vanity and
hollowness, and walks in the streets with his head erect.
He will never make any prostration to
elderly Sannyasis and Sadhus, but chant the formula very often, “Sivoham, Sivoham.”
Such aspirants are formidable Asuras on this earth. They are a great burden on this earth.
They pollute the atmosphere and create dissensions and quarrels everywhere, by entering into heated debates with sincere devotees and Karma Yogis. They cannot prosper in the spiritual path.
Vedanta in the hands of raw and unregenerate persons who lack purity and devotion and
who have not removed the impurity of their hearts through untiring selfless service with
Atma-Bhava and Kirtan and prayer, is perilous.
It is like a sharp razor in the hands of a child.
Instead of expanding their hearts the Vedantic study will thicken and fatten their egoism. They fall
into the deep abyss of ignorance. There is no hope, for them, of being lifted up, as their heart is filled with foolish, Tamasic, obstinacy, false Vedantic pride and self-superiority and false Tushti
(satisfaction).
May this land be free from such impotent, pseudo lip-Vedantins! May this world abound
with real Vedantins like Dattatreya, Yajnavalkya and Sankara!
« Last Edit: December 09, 2012, 11:50:42 AM by atmavichar100 »
However many holy words you read, however many you speak, what good will they do you if you do not act on upon them? - Buddha

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
Re: PSEUDO-VEDANTIC STUDENT - Swami Sivananda
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2012, 01:11:50 PM »
Dear atmavichar100,

Nice write up from Swami Sivananda on pseudo vedantic students. Yes. There are people like that.

Arunachala Siva.

atmavichar100

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2012, 02:11:42 PM »
Dear atmavichar100,

Nice write up from Swami Sivananda on pseudo vedantic students. Yes. There are people like that.

Arunachala Siva.

True Subramaniam Sir

If at all there is disgust for Vedanta and Scriptural Study today among spiritual aspirants it is due to the behavior of these sort  of Vedantic Students/Teachers  who act like "Conversion Missionaries/ Forced Marketing Agents " in constantly forcing people for argument , ridiculing their beliefs , their practices , their bhakti and devotion to their Guru /Ishta Devata in order to sell their Vedantic beliefs .
I have known personally a well read Vedanta Student who was part of our Satsang and Retreat Group and his behavior was similar to this Pseudo Vedantic student and initially we tolerated  but later his behavior became so intolerant  and repulsive that people told that if he is going to talk  in the satsang or come for our retreat we are not coming and he had to be kept out and he was isolated  and he is all alone now .
But I have also seen some wonderful Vedanta Student and Teachers who always keep quiet and will only talk when asked to and will give answer respecting the situation and maturity of the student and even when they talk Vedanta they will talk from a "heart perspective" as most of the people attending these satsang and retreats are Grihastas who do not have time for full time spirituality and scriptural study and their answers will be soothing and motivating for the audience to ask them more questions and create Genuine interest in them in attending such satsangs regularly . Adi Shankara in his Bhaja Govindam says "Satsangha is the starting point for Jivan Mukti" and Bhagwan Ramana also echoed the same but unfortunately some of these Pseudo Vedantic Students and Teachers have spoiled the potential interest of many common people's interest in spirituality by their arrogant behavior in the name of "talking the highest truth "  to common people .
« Last Edit: December 09, 2012, 02:13:34 PM by atmavichar100 »
However many holy words you read, however many you speak, what good will they do you if you do not act on upon them? - Buddha

Ravi.N

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2012, 04:16:37 PM »
Krishna(Atmavichar)

Interesting article by Swami Sivananda.

,I have also seen some wonderful Vedanta Student and Teachers who always keep quiet and will only talk when asked to

Very True.

In THe Gospel of Sri Ramakrishna,The Master identifies the brash challenging attitude of a Pseudo Jnani:

"There is a difference between, a sadhu endowed with jnana
and one endowed with vijnana. The jnani sadhu has a certain way of sitting. He twirls his
moustache and asks the visitor, 'Well, sir! Have you any question to ask?'
But the man who
always sees God and talks to Him intimately has an altogether different nature. He is
sometimes like an inert thing, sometimes like a ghoul, sometimes like a child, and
sometimes like a madman."

I have posted about a Character called Pratap Chandra Hazra who figures in The Gospel .Sri Ramakrishna's cousin Haladhari was another staunch advaitist!The Master talks about him in The Gospel:

Addressing M. and Balaram, the Master said: "Haladhari followed the path of knowledge.
Day and night he used to study the Upanishads, the Adhyatma Ramayana, and similar
books on Vedanta. He would turn up his nose at the mention of the forms of God. Once I
ate from the leaf-plates of the beggars. At this Haladhari said to me, 'How will you be able
to marry your children?' I said: 'You rascal! Shall I ever have children? May your mouth
that repeats words from the Gita and the Vedanta be blighted!' Just fancy! He declared that
the world was illusory and, again, would meditate in the temple of Vishnu with turned-up
nose
."

There are several passages where the master warns aspirants to steer clear of this attitude.

Namaskar.

atmavichar100

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2012, 01:04:23 PM »
The following 2 quotes of Mark Twain is very apt in the context of a Pseudo Vedantic student .
The first quote warns us not to talk or argue with anyone if we have half baked knowledge and the second quote warns us to keep away from such people in case we encounter them . In some dialogues of Bhagwan Ramana I have seem many such people coming to him and arguing with him foolishly and Bhagwan would remain silent and after that person left Bhagwan would say that it is foolish to argue with such people .

1)Better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt - Mark Twain .

2) Never argue with stupid people , they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with their experience - Mark Twain

Om Peace