Author Topic: Letters from Sri Ramanasramam:  (Read 25864 times)

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
Re: Letters from Sri Ramanasramam:
« Reply #60 on: January 27, 2013, 01:18:19 PM »
99. GURU SWARUPAM:

This afternoon a Tamizh youth approached Sri Bhagavan, and asked, 'Swamiji, Yesterday morning you told the Gujarati lady
that renunciation means internal renunciation. How are we to attain it? What is internal renunciation?

Sri Bhagavan: Internal renunciation mans that all vasanas should be subdued. If you ask me, 'How to attain that?" my reply is
is, 'it is attainable by sadhana.'

Question: Sadhana requires a Guru, doesn't it?

Bhagavan: Yes. A Guru is required.

Question: How is one to decide upon a proper Guru? What is the Swarupa of  a Guru?

Bhagavan: He is the proper Guru to whom your mind is attuned. If you ask, how to decide who is the Guru and what is his
Swarupa, he should be endowed with tranquility, patience, forgiveness, and other virtues capable of attracting others, even by a
mere look, like the magnetic stone, and with a feeling of equality towards all --- he that has these virtues is the true Guru. If one wants
to know the true Guru Swarupa, one must know his own Swarupa first. How can one know the true Guru Swarupa, if one does not know one's own Swarupa first? If you want to perceive the true Guru swarupa, you must first learn to look upon the whole universe as
Guru rupam.  One must have the Gurubhavam towards all living beings  It is the same with God. You must look upon all objects as God's rupam. How can he who does not know his own Self perceive Iswara rupam or Guru rupam? How can he determine them? Therefore,
first of all know your own real Swarupam.

Arunachala Siva.       

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #61 on: January 28, 2013, 10:54:13 AM »
101. DELUSION AND PEACE OF MIND:

There was a Pandit among them. He asked, 'Life itself becomes extremely hard in some places. How is one to perform sadhana
in such places?'

Bhagavan replied: "The place is within you. You are not in the place. When you are in all places, where is the question of difficulties
in some places, and not in others? All are within yourself. How can they cause you difficulties?'

'But we get no peace of mind at all in some places,' he protested and Sri Bhagavan replied: 'That which always exists is Peace.
That is your natural state. You are not able to recognize your natural state. You get deluded by aberrations which are unreal
\and feel sorry that there is no peace. If you realize your self, all places will become equally suitable for sadhana.' 

Arunachala Siva. 

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #62 on: January 29, 2013, 01:11:36 PM »
162. The Sleeper in the Cart:

'Are there three paths for going round the Hill?', asked some devotee.

Bhagavan said: 'Yes. The one is the road, the other is along the foot of the Hill and beyond is jungle path.'

'So Bhagavan used to wander along all those paths?' asked the devotee.

Bhagavan said: 'Why along three paths only? I might even say that there is no place on the Hill, that I have not set my foot on.
There are innumerable Ayurvedic herbs on the Hill. There are waterfalls in several places. That is why it is said, that this Hill is
the abode of siddhas. Sometime ago, a geophysicist came here to find out how old this Hill is, and when he wrote to us on his
return to his native place, he asked us to send him some stones as specimens. They were sent and on receiving them, he compared
those stones with some other mountains (like the Himalayas) and found that those from Arunachala were older. He himself wrote to
us about it.'

Arunachala Siva.   

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #63 on: January 30, 2013, 12:16:40 PM »
167. The Passing Away of Mahatma Gandhi:

(Today is the death anniversary of Mahatma Gandhi)

Yesterday, Harindanath Chattopadyaya (a brother of Sarojini Naidu) showed a photo of Mahatma and said, 'It is a pity that there
was never any meeting between Gandhi and Sri Bhagavan.'

Bhagavan: Sometime ago, he came to Tiruvannamalai. A meeting has been arranged for him to be held on the road around the Hill,
beyond the Asramam.  People here thought that he would come to the Asramam on his way back, but owing to the pressure of the
crowds, it was impossible, and he went away direct to the railway station. It seems that he very much regretted this afterwards.
Shankarlal Banker was very keen on bringing him here, and in 1938, when Rajendra Prasad and Jamnalal Bajaj came here and saw
Skandasramam, they wanted to induce the Mahatma to stay there for sometime. But it did not happen. If at Sabarmati, or at Wardha,
anyone said that he was mentally depressed, the Mahatma used to say, 'Go to Sri Ramanasramam and come back after a month's stay there.' When Ramaswami Reddiar went to see the Mahatma immediately after taking office as Chief Minister of Madras State, the
Mahatma, it seems, asked him for how long he had been going to Sri Ramanasramam. When he answered that he had been going for
over thirty years, the Mahatma said, 'Is that so? I have tried thrice, but so far have not been able to go there.' What could he do?
How could he come here when he was not left alone for one moment?'

Arunachala Siva.     

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #64 on: January 31, 2013, 12:25:43 PM »
168. Equality:

My nephew had come from London and is here. On the evening before leaving, he went to the bazaar to buy raisins, dates and other
fruits, for offering to them to the Asramam.

The kitchen people asked me to serve them myself and as I had no experience of serving in the dining hall, I took them to Bhagavan
first. It a tone showing that He was not pleased, He asked me what it was. I told Him that my nephew had brought some fruits. Bhagavan
nodded, 'All right. Give me one of each variety.' After serving Bhagavan accordingly, I served others likewise. But towards the end,
it was found that one a few bananas were left and and so one of the attendants cut them into small bits and served them equally to the last ten people.

With an expression of disgust, Bhagavan said, "This is what I don't like. Why do you serve them when  you cannot give the same
quantity to all people?'

'I am sorry' I said, later, 'I was new and so made the mistake.'

Bhagavan said: That is alright. That is why I am telling you. If you serve Bhagavan after you serve all the others, there will be equal
distribution.  If by chance nothing remains, it does not matter, even if I do not get anything.

Arunachala Siva.   

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #65 on: February 01, 2013, 01:15:55 PM »
169.  Nihilists and Advaitins:

When I went into  the Hall in the morning, everything was quiet. The smoke of the incense sticks enveloped the whole atmosphere,
and a sweet smell was emanating from all sides. Sri Bhagavan had finished reading the newspapers and was sitting in a calm
attitude. Krishnaswami was winding the clock. Unexpectedly, someone asked, 'Nihilists and Advaitins go on arguing among themselves
without end. What exactly are their differences?'

The clock stuck the hour 'tung, tung'. With a smile, Sri Bhagavan said, 'You want to know the differences of opinion? Look here.
Just now, the clock has been wound; it has been working; and has struck the hour. There must be someone to wind the clock.
Otherwise, the clock will not work.' - this is what Advaitins say. "It is admitted that that there must be someone to wind the clock.
There must be some one to give the power or the ability to that someone, and so on. If we proceed on that basis, there will be
no beginning and no end, and so there is no such person as a  doer (karta), say the Nihilists. These are the differences of opinion.

The advaitins say that though there is a doer for the innumerable varieties of activities that go to make up the world, none of is them is
different from that which IS, namely Existence, Sat. So the Advaitins say that there is a doer as an efficient cause.

Arunachala Siva.     

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #66 on: February 02, 2013, 03:21:46 PM »
110. VISIONS IN DREAMS:

The day before yesterday, at about 8 or 9 in the morning, an elderly man of a middle class family, who knew Ayurveda, came to
Sri Bhagavan, prostrated before Him and said, 'Swami, this is good for phlegm, take it.' He wanted to give some medicine. When
the attendants tried to prevent him from giving it, Bhagavan stopped them and took the medicine. He told the attendants: Look,
he used to give some medicine or other now and then from the time I was living on the Hill. Let him give it. Perhaps he had some
dream.

With evident pleasure, the old man said, 'I have not had any dream now, Swami. You used to have excess of phlegm at this
time of the year, didn't yo? So I have brought it.  So saying, he bowed and went away.

As soon as he left, a devotee asked, 'What about the dream you referred to?' Bhagavan replied: Oh, that! While living on the Hill,
one evening I casually asked Pazhaniswami if he had a lime fruit. He said, No. I said, 'If so, don't worry.

It seems that every night this person dreamt that I had asked him for a lime fruit. Next morning, as I came out, he was already
there and said, 'Swami, take this lime fruit. Yesterday, 'I asked him (Pazhaniswami)  if he had one. How did you know about it?"         
In reply, he said, 'You appeared to me in my dream and told me that you wanted a lime fruit. That is why I brought it now.' And
he placed the fruit on my hand. That is how it happened.'

The devotee asked, 'Is it a fact that Bhagavan appeared to him in a dream?'

Bhagavan replied with a smile, 'I don't know. Who knows? He said so, 'That is all.'

Arunachala Siva.

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #67 on: February 03, 2013, 10:50:07 AM »
170. Bhagavan's First Manuscript:

When I was copying out Part II of these letters, beginning with 'drishtim jnanamayim kritva', I did not know where exactly
the stanza occurred. I therefore went to the Asramam a little earlier than the usual to ask Bhagavan. Bhagavan was seated
at leisure and I approached and enquired in what book the stanza was to be found. He kindly told me that it was in the Tejobindu
Upanishad and that Sankara had written the same thing in his Aparokshanubhuti of which the relative stanzas were:

"that the aim (drishti) is not to concentrate on the tip of nose or between the eyebrows. It should be to concentrate on the
place where all the attributes of the seer, the seen and the act of seeing are dissolved. The meaning is that, when the aim,
jnananmya, that is Realization is attained through meditation enabling a man to understand his own nature and to see the way
to be united with the Supreme Spirit, then the whole universe appears top be full of Brahman."

The Aparpokshanubhuti was in the library, but I hesitated to take it from there as I have to ask somebody to get it. At the same
time, I did not remember the stanzas in full and was wondering what to do. Sensing the situation, Bhagavan asked one of the
attendants to take out Pazhaniswami's small notebook which was in the drawer. The attendant took it out, shook the dust off,
and handed it to me. It is a very small notebook, written in Malayalam characters. Bhagavan took a pen and paper to write.
"There is a copy of Aparokshanubhuti in the library, I think", I murmured.

'Why bother?' said Bhagavan. 'I will write it out myself'. And so saying, he copies the two stanzas from the note book. I was
overwhelmed with joy and asked Him, 'Have you copied down their meaning in stanzas of your own?'

'I merely copied them from the book', said Bhagavan. '

Stanzas have been copied en bloc from the Upanishads. Pazhaniswami
asked me to copy out and give him some stanzas of Sankara, but where were notebooks or paper with us  at that time?
I collected every scrap of paper I could, stitched them together into a note book, wrote out the stanzas and gave them to him.
In this small note book, selections from about ten books of Sankara have been written.'                   

'Did you write this from Nagari script?'  asked another devotee.

'Yes', Bhagavan told him, 'and that too, only because Pazhaniswami asked for it. At that time, and even afterwards, I did not
write anything of my own accord.......This book is the first. And He showed the book to us all.

Arunachala Siva.       

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #68 on: February 04, 2013, 01:31:49 PM »
171. Kailasa:

This morning a devotee brought an old copy of the Periya Puranam, and gave it to Bhagavan. Reading the story about Sundaramurti,.
going to Kailasa,  Bhagavan said:  It seems that Sundaramurti found that after his own arrival, the Chera King, has arrived on a
horseback almost immediately. The Raja asked him, 'How did you come here without my calling? So saying, Bhagavan read a verse from
it. A Tamizh youth, who was present said, 'Where is that Kailasa, Swami?' 'Kailasa! It is at very place where we are. First of all,
tell me where we are', said Bhagavan.

'That is not it, Swami. The Kailasa of which you have just read, that Sundarmurti had gone to; Does it really exist? If so, where is
it? Please favor me with a proper reply', said the young man.

'I have told you already,' said Bhagavan. 'We have come here now. From here we will go to some other place. If all that is true,
then that also is true. There, also, a Swami will be found seated on a raised pedestal.  Just like this, there will be devotees around.
They ask something. He replies something. That will also be like this. If you look at the thing from the point of view of the body, that is
how it is. If, however, you look at it  from the point of truth, wherever  we are, it is Kailasa. There is no question of being born or
growing and dying. When we realize that there is nothing real in this world, Kailasa is everywhere.'

Arunachala Siva.

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #69 on: February 05, 2013, 01:12:50 PM »
172. EDUCATED PEOPLE:

Yesterday, Sri Sarvepalli Radhakrishnan and family came here. Having had Sri Bhagavan's darshan, they went to the great
Arunachleswara Temple in the town and after taking food and rest, came to Sri Bhagavan to take leave of Him. Bhagavan
graciously nodded His head, giving them leave to go. Having known ladies of the party, I went to their car to see them off
and then came back to the Hall. I sat down and Bhagavan asked if they had gone. I replied in the affirmative. "Ten Years ago,'
said Bhagavan, "they were here; Pravananda Swami is a first cousin of his."

After a short while, Bhagavan noticed that the European and the Gujarati ladies sitting by me were asking me something, and so
enquired what they were saying. I said that they were enquiring as to whether Radhakrishnan had asked Bhagavan any questions.

'I see', said Bhagavan, 'No, they are well read people, they know everything. What is there for them to ask?'

Arunachala Siva. 

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #70 on: February 06, 2013, 01:40:11 PM »
175. WHAT IS DELIVERANCE?

At 3 O clock this afternoon, an Andhra youth with a sad face, approached Bhagavan and said, "Swami, I have just a request to make
if you will allow me to mention it. I have just come from Bangalore. I do not know how to meditate in order to attain deliverance and
so am worried. You must put me in the way and help me to realize it."

"What are you doing now?" asked Sri Bhagavan.

"I am doing nothing now, Swami. That is why I am praying to you to tell me how I should meditate?" said the young man.

"Why do you want to meditate? What is deliverance? What is it you want to realize? Why has the idea come to you at all?" asked
Bhagavan.

Poor man, he could not say anything and so was silent. It was however clear from his face that he was worried over something.

After waiting for a while, Bhagavan, with a compassionate look, said, "Keep your mind steadily on your family deity, discard outside
thoughts and meditate, or keep the Self itself before your mind and meditate. If that is done, that which comes from outside will
gradually disappear and meditation alone will remain. You need not meditate separately. The meditation on the Self will steady
itself and will remain constant. What IS, is meditation. There is no such thing as attaining deliverance. Getting rid of extraneous
thoughts itself is deliverance. Breath control and other spiritual practices are only for concentrating the mind, on the one thing. Breath
control keeps the wandering mind within the body. If breath is controlled and kept within for a while, it helps in practicing Self Inquiry.
If the family deity or some other form is meditated upon, the mind becomes controlled of its own accord. Where that is done repeatedly
the meditation itself leads on to the realization of the Self. You will not then have the duality of the doer and the thing done. All becomes one's natural state (swarupa) only."

Arunachala Siva.

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #71 on: February 07, 2013, 10:40:54 AM »
198. FAITH:

Bhagavan said, 'Sometime ago, Muruganar wrote two verses in Tamizh in praise of Vishnu. One is Kayikam (pertaining to the body)
and the other is a Vachikam (pertaining to the word of mouth).    The gist of the verses is:

1. Swami, you took Varaha Avatara (the incarnation as a boar), lifted the earth which was submerged in water and saved the people.
How could I, one of the inhabitants of the earth, praise you suitably for the great good you have done me?

2. The world was one great ocean (ekarnavam) when the devatas prayed to you to save them. You then took the shape of
hamsa (swan) and when with both wings fanned the water, the water gave way and the earth came out of it. For what you have
done for us, how can I sufficiently praise you?

After writing those two verses, he insisted on my writing the third one Manasikam (pertaining to the mind).  So I could not help
writing it. It was only then that I wrote the verse the purport of which is:

O Swami, to relieve the burden of the earth, you took the avatara of Krishna and by your teaching through Gita, like, 'whenever
there is decline of righteousness, for the protection of the virtuous you assured us that you would have several other incarnations.
To praise such a Lord and his various forms, Who am I?

These words of praise or Who am I? have several meanings and could be interpreted in different ways by different people.     

Arunachala Siva.       

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #72 on: February 08, 2013, 04:15:06 PM »
199. Sankara's Atma Bodha:

By the 27th instant (July 1948), all the sixty eight stanzas got translated into verses and on concluding the work, Sri Bhagavan said:
'These stanzas were written in Malayalam script in that small notebook which, as I said, was our first  possession  forty years ago.
But somehow it never occurred to me then to translate them in Tamizh.'

A devotee said, 'For everything the right time must come.'

Bhagavan with a smile said, 'Yes, that is so. If I write one thing now another presents itself. How is it I feel I have read this before?
Is it possible that someone has already written this?'

Muruganar said: No one has written it in Venba meter. What surprise is there if one verse after another occurs to Bhagavan?
It is said that in every kalpa, the Vedas appeared as though they were standing before Brahma. This is also like that.'

Arunachala Siva. 

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #73 on: February 09, 2013, 01:13:25 PM »
200. Appropriate Teaching.

As Bhagavan was going out this morning at a quarter to ten, His body faltered a little. The attendants hesitated to touch Him
to enable Him to steady Himself, as they knew He would not like it. An old devotee who was walking by His side at the time
tried to hold Him up. Warning him against that, Bhagavan coolly said: "You all try to hold me from falling down but actually throw
me down. Enough of it. Please take care that you don't fall down yourself." These words are pregnant with great meaning, though
it would appear that Sri Bhagavan was saying something commonplace, there was a great truth in those words, and I therefore made
a note of them then and there.

In the meantime, Bhagavan returned and sat down in His usual place. Even before that, a young man had come there in a huff,
into the Hall. After some attempts he said, 'Swami, I have got a question in my mind. Can you tell me what that question  is? Or
do you want me to ask it?'

Bhagavan said: Oho! That is what is the matter, is it? Sorry. I do not have such powers. Being a capable person, you may be able to
read other's thoughts. How can I get such powers?

The young man said: What then is your greatness if you cannot do that much? But others who were there prevented him from saying
that.

Bhagavan later said:  Instead of trying to test me, why does he not test himself and find out who he is? Would that not be much
better?

Arunachala Siva.         

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #74 on: February 10, 2013, 10:15:23 AM »
200. Appropriate Teaching:

(another conversation)

A gentleman, who happened to be sitting by the side of the young man (mentioned in the last post) took up the thread of the
conversation and said, "Swami, you say that finding out the Self is the greatest thing in life. But for finding it out, is the Nama
Japa (repeating the name of the Lord) good? Can we attain moksha in that way?"

Bhagavan said: Yes. It is good. That itself will take you in due course to the goal. The repeating of the Name is to remove all
extraneous things. Then everything extraneous disappears and what remains is the Name alone. That which remains is the Self
or God or the Supreme Being. Nama Japa means we give a name to God and call Him by that name. You give Him the name which
you like most.

The devotee asked, "Will Iswara manifest Himself if you give Him some name and pray to Him to appear in a particular form?"

Bhagavan: Yes. He will answer your call by whatever name you call Him and will appear in whatever form you worship Him.
As soon as He manifests Himself you ask something. He grants the boon and disappears, but you remain  where you were."

I said, "I suppose Bhagavan will also do likewise, if we ask Him some material benefits." 

Without taking any heed of what I had said, and by way of avoiding the question, Bhagavan said, "That is why God is afraid of
manifesting Himself. If He comes, the devotees will ask Him to give away all His Powers and retire. Not only will they say, 'Give
everything to us', but also will say, 'Do not give them to anything else.' That is the fear. That is why God delays in coming to His
devotees."

Another devotee: Is it the same thing with Mahatmas?

Bhagavan: There is no doubt about it. If any lenience is shown to people, they begin to exercise authority on Mahatmas.

Arunachala Siva.