Author Topic: Letters from Sri Ramanasramam:  (Read 30924 times)

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
Re: Letters from Sri Ramanasramam:
« Reply #15 on: December 20, 2012, 08:55:49 AM »
149. Brindavanam:

This morning, a North Indian wrote the following on a slip of paper and handed over it to Sri Bhagavan.

'If I could have audience (darshan) of the real form (Swarupa) of Lord Krishna in Brindavanam, would I find the strength to
rid myself of all my troubles? I want to have audience with Him to tell Him all my troubles."

Sri Bhagavan replied: "Yes. What is the difficulty? It can be done all right. After seeing Him, all our burdens will be transferred
to Him. Even now, why worry about it? Throw all the burden on Him and He will see it."

The questioner: "If I want to see the real form of Lord Krishna, do I have to go to Brindavanam and meditate, or could it be
done anywhere?"

Bhagavan: 'One should realize one's own Self and when that is done, Brindavanam is wherever one is. There is no need to
go from place to place thinking that Brindavanam is somewhere else. Those who have the urge to go, may go, but there is
nothing imperative about it.'

Arjuna, I am the Self seated in the hearts of all beings. I am the beginning, the middle and also the end of all beings.

- Bhagavad Gita X.29

"Where one is, there is Brindavanam. If one inquires as to who one is and what one is, and finds out the Truth, one becomes
oneself. To resolve all inherent desires into one's own Self is real surrender. After that, our burden is His."

Arunachala Siva.       

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 21, 2012, 10:37:55 AM »
144. Peace of Mind itself is Liberation:

The day before yesterday, an Andhra lady with her husband came to Sri Bhagavan and asked: 'Swami, I have heard several
discourses on Vedanta. I also do some meditation. Sometimes while in meditation, I feel blissful and tears come to my eyes;
at other times I do not have them. Why is that?'

Sri Bhagavan with a smile, said, 'Bliss is a thing which is always there and is not something which comes and goes. That which
comes and goes is a creation of the mind and you should not worry about it.'

The lady: 'The moment the bliss that comes, with a thrill of the body, disappears. I feel dejected and desire to have the 
experience over again. Why?'

Bhagavan: 'You admit that 'you' were there both when the blissful feeling was on and when it was not? If you realize that
'you' properly, those experiences will be of no account.'

Peace is Atma, the Self, and that is the liberation.

Arunachala Siva.     

sanjaya_ganesh

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 21, 2012, 12:11:01 PM »
Subramanian sir - Beautiful. Bhagavan's teaching is so simple and logical. Remove everything that you "feel" coming and going. And as Nochur anna says you will find that something which cannot be "removed". Any further questions, debates and arguments - let us have after you make an attempt to remove everything that seemingly comes and goes. All arguments, debates and questions also drop dead there - because they also come and go :)

Sanjay
« Last Edit: December 21, 2012, 12:13:39 PM by sanjaya_ganesh »
Salutations to Bhagawan

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 22, 2012, 12:35:56 PM »
(97) BIRTH:

Yesterday, a lady devotee showed Sri Bhagavan hedr notebook in which she had copied out the five verses of Ekatma Panchakam.
Sri Bhagavan saw in that notebook two verses composed by Him for His devotees when they first started celebrating His
birthday. He then told us the following incident.

On one of my birthdays while I was in Virupaksha Cave, probably in 1912, those around me insisted on cooking food and eating it there
as a celebration of the occasion. I tried to dissuade them.  But they rebelled saying, 'What harm does it do to Swamji if we cook our food
and eat it here?' I therefore left it at that. Immediately after that they purchased some vessels. Those vessels are still here. What began
as a small function has resulted in all this paraphernalia and pomp. Everything must take its course and will not stop at our request.
I told them at great length, but they did not listen. When the cooking and eating were over, Iswaraswamy who used to be with
me in those days, said, 'Swamiji! this is your birthday. Please compose two verses and I too will compose two. It was then that I composed these two verses which I find in the note book here. They run as follows:

1. You who intend to celebrate the birthday, first ascertain as to whence you were born. The day that we attain a place in that
everlasting life which is beyond the reach of births and deaths is our real birthday.

2. Even on these birthdays, that occur once a year, we ought to lament that we have got this body and fallen into the world.
Instead we celebrate the event with a feast.  To rejoice over it is like decorating a corpse. Wisdom consists in realizing the Self
and in getting absorbed therein.

On my request to give me a Telugu translation of those birthday verses, He wrote one and gave it to me.

Arunachala Siva.

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 23, 2012, 09:38:05 AM »
174. The Sacredness of the Feet of the Guru:

This afternoon when I went to Sri Bhagavan, I found someone singing a song, 'Guru Pada Mahima'. After the singing was over,
looking at me, Sri Bhagavan said: 'These songs have been written by Tatvaryaswami. You have heard the sacredness of the feet
of the Guru, haven't you?' 'Yes, I have heard the songs. As the meaning of the songs is profound that some great personage must
have written them', I said. 'Yes. There is a story behind it,' remarked Bhagavan. When I inquired what it was, Sri Bhagavan leisurely
related to us the story as follows:

Both Tatvarayar and Swarupanandar decided to go in search of a Sadguru in two different directions. Before they started they
came to an understanding. Whoever finds a Sadguru first should show him to the other. However much Tatvarayar searched he
could not find a Sadguru. Swarupanandar who was the uncle of Tatvarayar was naturally an older man. He went about for some
time, got tired, and rested in a place. Feeling he could no longer go about in search, he prayed to the Lord, 'Oh, Isvara! I can
no longer move about. So you yourself should send me a Sadguru.'

Having placed the burden on the Lord, he sat down in silence.  By God's grace, a Sadguru came there by himself and gave him
tattva upadesa. It is the gist of that upadesa that got composed as a song named Tattva saram. That book has been published
with a commentary and is very famous. The understanding arrived at by the uncle and his nephew, could not be implemented as
the Guru passed away soon after. Under the circumstances, the uncle himself gave upadesa to his nephew. Swarupanandar
wrote only one book but Tatvarayar sang innumerable songs; amongst them 'Gurupada Mahima' is one. Though many other
songs are also available, now several have been lost.'

Arunachala Siva.

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 24, 2012, 10:52:58 AM »
83. Nature:

This afternoon at 3 O' clock, an Englishman asked Sri Bhagavan something in English in which the word 'Nature' occurred
a number of times and Sri Bhagavan replied as follows:

'These questions would not arise if one knew one's own nature well. They will continue to arise till one knows it. Until then
we will be under the delusion that all these unnatural things are natural. We have to understand that the true state is always
there and at all times. We discard that which is there and wish for that which is not there, and suffer on that account. All that comesand goes is unreal. The soul always remains in its natural place. As long as we do not realize that truth, we suffer.

'Where can we see this soul? How can we know it?' was the next question.

'Where can we see the soul? This question is like staying in Ramanasramam and asking where is Ramanasramam ?
The soul is at all times in you and everywhere and to imagine that it is somewhere far off and search for it, is like performing
Panduranga bhajan. This bhajan commences in the first quarter of the night with tinkling bells tied to the feet of the devotees
and with the brass lamp stand placed in the center of the house. The devotees go round and round the lamp stand, dancing
rhythmically to the tune, 'Pandaripur is thus far! Pandaripur is thus far! Come on! Proceed!, but they go round and round, they actually
do not proceed even half a yard closer to Pandaripur.  By the time, the third quarter of the night is reached, they will begin to sing,
'See! there is Pandaripur. Here is Pandaripur, See, see!' During the first quarter of the night they were going round the same lamp
as now in third quarter. It dawns and they sing, 'We have arrived at Pandaripur. This is Pandaripur!. And so saying they salute the
same lamp stand and end the bhajan.

It is the same with this also. We go round and round in search of Atma saying, Where is atma? where is it? till at the last the
dawn of Jnana drishti is reached.  Then we  say - This is Atma. This is ME! 

Arunachala Siva.           

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 25, 2012, 10:33:35 AM »
109. Absolute Surrender:

This morning, an Andhra youth, handed over a letter to Sri Bhagavan in which it was written: 'Swamiji! They say that one
can obtain everything  if one takes refuge in God wholly and solely, and without thought of any other. Does it mean sitting
still at one place, and contemplating God entirely, at all times, discarding all thoughts, including even about food, which is
essential for the sustenance of the body?  Does it mean that when one gets ill, one should not think of medicine and treatment,
but entrust one's health or sickness exclusively to Providence? From the definition of Sthitha Prajna given in Gita (II.71):

The man who sheds all longing and moves without concern free from the sense of 'I' and 'mine', he attains peace.

'It means the discarding of all desires. Therefore should we devote ourselves exclusively to the contemplation of God, and
accept food, water etc., only if they are available by God's grace, without asking for them? Bhagavan! Please explain the
secret of this sarangati.'

Sri Bhagavan saw this letter leisurely and told the people near him: 'Look! Ananya Saranagati means to be without any
attachment of thoughts, no doubt, but does it mean to discard thoughts even for food, water etc., which are essential
for the sustenance of the physical body? He asks, 'should I eat only if I get anything by God's direction, and without asking
for it? Or should I make a little effort?

All right! Let us take it that what we have to eat comes of its own accord. But even then, who is to eat? Suppose somebody
puts it in our mouth, should we swallow it, at least? Is that not an effort? He asked: If I become sick, should I take medicine
or should I keep quiet leaving my health and sickness in the hands of God? 'Kshudvyadeh aaharam' - it is said. There are two
meanings to this. One is, kshuth ie. hunger, is also like sickness, so for the sickness called hunger, the medicine called food
must be given. The other is: like medicine for vyadhi (sickness) food for kshuth (hunger) must be given. In the book Sadhana
Panchakam written by Sankara, it is stated, "kshudvyadhischa chikisyatam pratidinam bhikshoushadham bhdyatam".  It means
for treatment of the disease called hunger, eat food received as alms. But then, one must at least go out for bhiksha. If all
people close their eyes and sit still saying if the food comes, we eat, how is the world to get on? Hence one must take things
as they come in accordance with one's traditions and must be free from the feeling that one is doing them for oneself. The
feeling that I am doing is the bondage. It is therefore necessary to consider and find out the method whereby such a feeling
can be overcome, instead of doubting as to whether medicine should be administered if one is sick or whether food should be
taken if one is hungry; such doubts will continue to come up and will never end. .....If the responsibility is thrown on Him (Karta)
things will go on of their own accord.

Arunachala Siva.           

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 26, 2012, 09:29:40 AM »
177. The First Bath and the First Shave:

Sri Bhagavan said: 'After I came  to this place, Tiruvannamalai, I had no bath for four months. One day, when I was in the
compound of the Arunachaleswara Temple, the wife of a devotee, by name, Ponnuswami, came unexpectedly, pulled me
along, made me sit, cleaned my head with soap-nut powder and gave me a bath. She had been coming to the temple every
now and then; so I had thought that she had come as usual, but that day, she had come there prepared! That was my first
bath.'

'Were you bathing regularly everyday afterwards? ' I asked.

'No. there was no question of a bath; who was to make me bathe? Who was the one to bathe? After that, a year or so
passed in the same way. I had been in Gurumurtham, for some time, you see, and as not many people came there every day,
no one bothered me. Even so, a lady by name Meenkashi, who used now and then to bring food to give me, one day
brought a large pot and began to boil water. I thought it was for some use for herself, but taking from a basket some oil,
soap nut, etc., she said, 'Swami, please come.' I did not move. But would she keep quiet? She pulled me by the arm, made me
sit, smeared the oil all over my body and bathed me. The hair on the head which had got matted for want of care, was now
spread out and hung down like a mane of a lion. That was my second bath. After that, Pazhaniswami came and everything
was adjusted into routine of daily baths.'

'This incident is not found in your biography,' I said.

'No, that js so,' said Bhagavan, 'it was never written then. Shaving was also like that. The shave I had on the day I came here
has been recorded. The second was after a year and a half. The hair had got matted and woven like a basket. Small stones
and dust had settled down in it and the head used to feel heavy. I had long nails and a frightful appearance. So people pressed
me to have a shave and I yielded. When my head was shaven clean, I began to wonder whether I had a heard or not, it felt so
light. I shook my head this way and that to assure myself it was there.

Arunachala Siva.                   

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 27, 2012, 09:14:17 AM »
173. Salutations:

At about 3 O'clock this afternoon, a young boy, four or five years of age, came with his mother. She prostrated before Bhagavan and
sat down. The boy prostrated likewise, but continued the salutations over and over again. Sri Bhagavan laughed at that and told his attendants, 'Just see. He is prostrating to me over and over again. Perhaps he thinks that if he does so, he may afterwards do what-
ever he pleases. He is a young lad. What does he know?  He is just imitating his elders. He must however be rewarded. All that he
wants is a plantain. If he gets it he will stop. Give him one.' On being given one, the boy  went and sat down.

After sometime, someone came and did sashtanga namaskaram (reverential salutation with all the eight limbs of the body touching
the ground), but did not get up. He somehow got up but began saluting again and again. He was ultimately prevailed upon to stop
saluting and sit down. Sri Bhagavan told the people near Him: Namaskaram means prostration a number of times according to some.
What can be done? The real meaning of namaskaram is the dissolving of the ego.'

What is the meaning of sashtanga namaskaram, Bhagavan? - asked a devotee. Sri Bhagavan said: It means that eight limbs of the
body, namely, two hands, two legs, two arms, chest and forehead touch the ground while saluting. The idea behind this type of
obeisance is that the person doing it says, 'the body which touches the earth, will resolve into that earth ultimately, and the
"I" in me will continue to be "I" alone.' That idea must be known to oneself by inquiry.'

Arunachala Siva.               

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 28, 2012, 10:22:58 AM »
89. The incarnation of Sri Dakshinamurti:

While translating Dakshinamurti Stotram into Tamizh verses, with commentary, Sri Bhagavan summarized the original story
about the reason for Dakshinamurti's incarnation and wrote it in the preface. Besides that He divided the nine slokas therein,
into three groups dealing with the world, the seer and the seen respectively.

The first three, Viswam Darpanam, Bijasyanthariva, Yasyaiva sphuranam - deal with the origin of the world.
The next three, Nanchitra, Rahugrastha, Deham Pranam - deal with the seer.
The last three, Balyadiswapi, Visvam Pasyathi, Bhuraambhamsi, deal with the light by which things are seen.
The last sloka, Sarvatmavam means the whole universe is merged in Brahman.

Arunachala Siva.         

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 29, 2012, 09:26:07 AM »
93. Sadhana in the presence of Guru:

Sri Bhagavan said: The mind which is inert is able to achieve everything by the force of its contact. Sannidhyabala (strength of
proximity) with Chaitanya which is achala. But without the aid of Chaitanya, the inert mind cannot accomplish anything by itself.
Chaitanya being immobile cannot accomplish anything without the help of the mind. It is the relationship of avinabhavam, one
dependent on the other and inseparable. That is why elders discussed this matter in various angles and came to the conclusion
that the mind is chit-jada-atmakam. we have to say that the combination of Chit (Self) and jada (inert) produces action.

Sri Bhagavan has written in Verse 24 of Ulladu Narpadu:

The body does not say 'I'. The Atrnan is not born. In between, the feeling  'I' is born in the whole body. Whatever name you
give it that is Cht jada granthi, the knot between the consciousness and the inert, and also the bondage, samsaram, and suksham
sariram.

Arunachala Siva.     

saraskrishna

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 29, 2012, 04:22:06 PM »
Dear Sir,

Can we get Dakshinamurti Stotram in tamil from ashram book stall? does it contain all that you posted in "The incarnation of Sri Dakshinamurti" ?

So much obliged to have you posting ! I thank Bhagavan for everything !

With love
Balasaras krishna
Arunachala Shiva

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 29, 2012, 04:42:56 PM »
Dear saraskrishna,

You will get Tamizh Dakshinamurti Stotram done by Sri Bhagavan in verses, along with the preface, in the Tamizh Collected Works
of Sri Bhagavan. It is called Sri Ramana Nool Thirattu.

Arunachala Siva.

Nagaraj

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 29, 2012, 05:53:54 PM »
Sri Saraskrishna,

Kindly follow the link below to download a pdf format Dakshinamurti Stotram in Tamizh,

CLICK HERE

॥ शांतमात्मनि तिष्ट ॥
Remain quietly in the Self.
~ Vasishta

saraskrishna

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 29, 2012, 07:25:09 PM »
Thank you Nagaraj Sir, I downloaded that PDF !
I will buy the book during my next visit to ashram, thanks Subramanian Sir !

nowadays, it is uncomfortable for me to move around with crowds and mingling with many people. I think it might be some symptom depicting some progress or mistake. I don't know, yet Bhagavan has told us to just follow the commandments and progress shall be checked by Bhagavan Himslef and we need not worry about it.. So I leave it whatever it is..

even when I go to buy something in a supermarket or shop, I just stare at something somewhere without exactly thinking of what I wanted to buy ! and, I can feel that shopkeeper or marketing person is watching me standing idle!!  :) , so unwillingly I speak something to him just to ensure that he doesn't think i am day dreaming..  ;)

years before, when i go to buy something i will want to check whether I got the right deal and was not cheated.. though, this feeling comes even now, i am not giving importance to it, rather, now I am saying to myself that 'so what? only i get cheated and i am not cheating anybody else. and, i can forgive it, end of the day what has to come to me will only come inspite of me taking any efforts and move on.

and, during self-enquiry, at some point of time breathing seems to be slowing down or getting arrested or choking and bumping out... but, if slowly followed i feel like a small organ that is opening and closing. but, then, when I try to ask who is that feeling such organ or when i try to go beyond, it is kicking me out or am loosing it and again i have to start from the begining !

i just wanted to share my experiences, if any of you have come across this or something to comment on it, please do share.

with love
Arunachala Shiva.