Author Topic: Talks with Sri Ramana Maharshi:  (Read 64078 times)

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
Re: Talks with Sri Ramana Maharshi:
« Reply #180 on: June 04, 2013, 01:45:38 PM »
Talks No. 597:

continues.....

The point is that occult powers are sought and gained for the benefit of others by Self Realized persons also.  But the sages
are not deluded by the possession of such powers.

Devotee:  Does the sage use occult powers for making others realize the Self or is the mere fact of his Self Realization
enough for it?

Maharshi:  The force of his Self Realization is far more powerful than the use of all other powers.     

In as much as there is no ego in him, there are not others for him.  What is the highest benefit that can be conferred on
others?  It is happiness.  Happiness is born of Peace.  Peace can reign only when there is no disturbance. Disturbance is
due to thoughts which arise in the mind.  When the mind itself is absent there will be perfect Peace. Unless a person had
annihilated his mind, he cannot gain peace and be happy.  Unless he himself is happy, he cannot bestow happiness on others.

Where there is no mind, he cannot be aware of others. So the mere fact of his Self Realization is itself enough to make all
others happy.

Devotee: Can Samadhi come and go?

Maharshi: What is Samadhi?  Samadhi is one's essential nature. How then can it come or go?

If you do not realize your essential nature, your sight remains obstructed.  What is the obstruction?  Find it and remove it.
So one's efforts are meant only for the removal of obstructions which hide the true vision.  The real nature remains the same.
When once it is realized, it is permanent.

Devotee: But Mr. Brunton says that he had one hour's Samadhi.  Therefore I asked this question. 

Maharshi: A practiser gains peace of mind and is happy.  That peace is the result of his efforts.  But the real state must be
effortless. The effortless Samadhi is the true one and the perfect state.   It is permanent. The efforts are spasmodic and so
also their results. 

When the real, effortless, permanent, happy nature is realized it will be found to be not inconsistent with the ordinary
activities of life.  The Samadhi reached after efforts looks like abstraction from the external activities.  A person might be so
abstracted or live freely among people without detriment to his Peace and Happiness because that is his true nature or the
Self.

Arunachala Siva.

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #181 on: June 05, 2013, 02:22:39 PM »

Talks No. 598.

Sri Bhagavan shows great humor at times.  He read Upamanyu Bhakta Vilasam which contains a passage where
Arunachaleswara is said to have robbed Tiru Jnana Sambandhar and his group of followers of all their possessions
by His bhutaganas disguised as dacoits.  Sri Bhagavan remarked:  'Siva Himself was waylaid in Tiruvudal Utsavam,
and He practiced the same trick on His devotees.  Can it be so?'   

Talks No. 599.

A saying of Lao Tze from Tao Teh Ch'ng was read out in the Hall.  'By his non action, the sage governs all.'

Sri Bhagavan remarked : Non action is unceasing activity.  The sage is characterized by eternal and intense activity.
His stillness is like the apparent stillness of a fast rotating top (gyroscope).  Its very speed cannot be followed by
the eye and so it appears to be still.  Yet it is rotating.  So is the apparent inaction of the sage.  This must be explained
because the people generally mistake stillness to be inertness. It is not so.

Arunachala Siva.     

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #182 on: June 06, 2013, 01:25:50 PM »

Talks No. 600:

A youn

g man asked in broken Tamizh:

How long will it be before Self Realization?

Maharshi:  First know what Self means and also what Realization means.  Then you will know all.

Devotee:  The mind must realize in the Heart.

Maharshi:  Be it so.  What is mind?

Devotee: Mind, Heart, are all avataras of PerumAL (Vaishnavite term for incarnate God).

Maharshi: If so, no need to worry ourselves.

Devotee:  On this basis how can we realize?

Maharshi:  Surrender to the mind to Perumal (God).  His avatara cannot remain independent of Him.  Render unto Him
what is His and be happy.

Devotee: How to do so?

Maharshi:  How is the mind known to us?  Owing to its activities, namely thoughts.  Whenever thoughts arise, remember
they are all modes of Perumal and they cannot be otherwise, this is enough.  This is the surrender of the mind.  Can anything
exist independent of Perumal?  All is Perumal alone.  He acts through all.  Why worry ourselves?

Arunachala Siva.

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #183 on: June 07, 2013, 01:49:37 PM »

Talks No.  601/

G.V. Subbaramiah, an Andhra devotee, mentioned something about Time.

Maharshi:  What is Time? It posits a state, one recognition of it, and also the changes which affects it.  The interval between
two states is called  time.  A state cannot come into being unless the mind calls it into existence.  The mind must be held by
the Self.  If the mind is not made use of there is no concept of time.  Time and Space are in the mind but one's true state lies
beyond the mind.   The question of time does not arise at all to the one established in one's true nature.

Mr.  Narayana Iyer:  Sri Bhagavan's words are so pleasing to hear but their import is beyond our comprehension.  That seems
to be far too much for us even to hope to realize.

G.V.S.  Our grasp is only intellectual. If Sri Bhagavan be pleased to direct us with a few instructions we shall be highly benefited.

Maharshi:  He who instructs an ardent seeker to do this or that is not a true master.  The seeker is already afflicted by his
activities and wants Peace and Rest.  In other words, he wants cessation of his activities.  Instead of that he told to do
something in addition to, or in place of, his activities.  Can that be a help to the seeker?

Activity is creation.  Activity is the destruction of  one's inherent happiness.  If activity be advocated the adviser is not a master
but the killer.  Either the Creator (Brahma) or Death (Yama) may be said to have come in the guise of such a master.  He cannot
liberate the aspirant but strengthens his fetters.

Devotee:  When we attempt to cease from activity the very attempt is action.  So activity seems to be inevitable.

Maharshi:  True.  Saint Tayumanavar has also alluded it.  A doctor advises a patient to take the prescribed medicine with
only one condition.   This condition is not to think of a monkey when he takes the medicine.  Can the patient ever take the
medicine? Will he not think of the monkey whenever he tries not to do so?

So also, when people try to give up thoughts their object is frustrated by their very attempt.

continued....

Arunachala Siva.         

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #184 on: June 08, 2013, 01:55:46 PM »

Talks 601:

Devotee:  How then is the state to be attained?

Maharshi:  What is there to attain?  A thing remains to be attained if it is not already attained.  But here one's
very being is That.

Someone:  Why do we not then know it?

Annamalai Swami: I should always think 'I am That.'

Maharshi:  Why should  one think 'I am That'?  He is That only.  Does a man go on thinking that he is a man?

Mr. Anantachari:  The belief 'I am a man' is so deep that we cannot help thinking so.

Maharshi:  Why should you think 'I am a man'?  If you are challenged you may say 'I am a man'.  Therefore the thought -
'I am a man' --- is called up when another thought, say, 'I am an animal'  protrudes itself. Similarly  the thought I am That is
necessary only so long as the other thought I am a man persists.

Devote:  The thought 'I am a man' is so firm that it cannot be got rid of.

Maharshi:  Be you true Self.  Why should you think 'I am a man'?

Devotee:  The thought 'I am a man' is so natural.

Maharshi:  Not so.  On the other hand 'I am' is natural.  Why do you qualify it with 'a man'?

Devotee:  'I am a man' is so obvious whereas 'I am That' is not understood by us.

Maharshi; You are neither That nor This.  The truth is 'I am'.  'I AM' that 'I AM' according to the Bible also.  Mere Being is alone
natural. To limit it 'being a man' is uncalled for.

Devotee: (Humorously)  If votes be taken the majority will be on my side.  (Laughter).

Maharshi: I cast my vote also on your side. (Laughter). I say also 'I am a man' But I am not limited to the body. IT IS IN ME.
That is the difference.

Someone:  The limited (upadhi) of being a man cannot be got ride of.

Maharshi:  How were you in deep sleep?  There was no thought of being a man.

Another:  So, the state of sleep must be brought about even when one is awake.     

Maharshi:  Yes. It is Jagrat-Sushupti.

Sri Bhagavan continued: Some people even say that while they sleep they are enclosed somewhere in the body.  They forget
that such an idea did not persist in sleep but rises up only on waking.  They bring their waking state to bear upon their sleep.

The lights went down and all retired.

Arunachala Siva.   

Jewell

• Love,always love and only love
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: June 08, 2013, 03:15:18 PM »
Very beautiful talk with Bhagavan,dear Sri Subramanian sir.

Thank You!

With love and prayers,

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #186 on: June 10, 2013, 02:12:16 PM »

Talks No. 603.

Lady Bateman came here with her daughter to visit Sri Bhagavan.  She brought a letter from Pascaline Maillert, Versailles,
which reads as follows:

'Two years have come and gone since last I crossed the threshold of Thy Asramam and yet in spirit I have ever remained there.'

'Though illusion still often veils the vision of Reality revealed in the blessed Silence of Thy Presence.

'Through the Silver Thread of Self awareness be often lost midst changing light and shadows, still the inner urge to realize
the Self remains and  stronger grows and more insistent as Grace and search go hand in hand.

'At times, yet rare, with no apparent cause, spontaneous awareness of the 'I' springs up and bliss fills the heart with glowing
warmth. Effortless concentration goes with this state, while all desires do come to rest, fulfilled in utmost peace, till once more
the veil is drawn and illusion seeks to blur the vision of the Real.

'Yet what the soul has experienced and knows repeatedly as Truth, can neither be denied nor ever forgotten and 'That which is'
gives constant strength to persevere.

'I pray to Thee as to my Self for light and guidance that I know are ever there and at Thy feet lay offerings of unchanging love.'

Sd/  Pascaline, 11 Rue des Reservous.
                                                                  Versailles, 21st November 1938. 

Arunachala Siva.             

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #187 on: June 11, 2013, 02:06:04 PM »

Talks No. 604.

A certain lady was singing a devotional song. It said among other things:

'Thou art my father,
Thou art my mother,
Thou art my relations,
My possessions and all.'   

and so on...

Sri Bhagavan remarked with a smile, 'Yes. Yes. Thou art this, that and everything, except 'I'. Why not say, 'I am Thou' and
finish it?'

Arunachala Siva.

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #188 on: June 12, 2013, 01:41:40 PM »

Talks No. 605.

A certain Andhra visitor gave Sri Bhagavan a slip of paper containing several questions which he desired to be answered.
Sri Bhagavan took it in His hands, went through the questions and said: 

Maharshi: All these questions arise as long as there is one who can ask questions.  If the questioner is sought and found,
the questions will end of their own accord.

The man said in reply:  Swami, several people raise these points and I do not know how to meet them.  Hence I desire to know
the fact (vishaya was the last word used.)

Maharshi:  If the vishayi (i.e. the basis of the facts) be understood, the vishayas (i.e. the facts) become clear.

Arunachala Siva.         

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #189 on: June 13, 2013, 01:43:16 PM »

Talks No. 606.

Mr. Venkatakrishnayya, a lawyer devotee, visited Sri Bhagavan ten years before, and asked Him what he should do to
improve himself.  Sri Bhagavan told him to perform Gayatri Japa.   The young man went away satisfied.  When he returned
after some years, he asked: 

Devotee:  If I meditate on the meaning of Gayatri  Mantra, my mind again wanders.  What is to be done?

Maharshi:  Were you told to meditate on the mantra or its meaning?  You must think of the one who repeats the mantra,
(i.e. himself).

Again the same man had seen another reputed Mahatma who told him to say Om Namah instead of OM because OM is
meant for sannyasins whereas others can repeat Om Namah.  When he came here he asked Sri Bhagavan about it. 
Sri Bhagavan replied casually:  Should not others besides sannyasins inquire into the Self and realize it?

Arunachala Siva.     

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #190 on: June 14, 2013, 12:51:40 PM »

Talks No. 607:

Sri Bhagavan said to Lady Bateman:  There is a fixed state; sleep, dream and waking states are mere movements in it.
They are like pictures moving on the screen in a cinema show. 

Everyone sees the screen as well as the pictures but ignores the screen and takes in the pictures alone.  The Jnani however
considers only the screen and not the pictures.  The pictures certainly mover on the screen yet do not affect it.  The screen
itself does not move but remains stationary.

Similarly, a person travels in a train and thinks that he moves. Really speaking,, he sits and reposes in his seat. and it is the
train which is steaming fast.  He however superimposes the motion of the train on himself because he has identified himself
with the body.  He says, 'I have passed one station - now another -- yet another and so on.'  A little consideration will show
that he sits unmoved and the stations run past him.  But that does not prevent him from saying that he has traveled all the way
as if he exerted himself to move every foot of the way.

The Jnani is fully aware that the true state of Being remains fixed and stationary and that all actions go on around him.  His
nature does not change and his state is not affected in the least.  He looks on everything with unconcern and remains blissful
himself.

His is the true state and also the primal state which prevailed and natural state of being.  When once the man reaches it he gets
fixed there.  Fixed once, fixed ever he will be.  Therefore that state which prevailed in the days of Patala Lingam Cellar continues
uninterrupted, with only this difference that the body remained there immobile but is now active.

There is no difference between a Jnani and an anjnani in their conduct.  The difference lies only in their angles of vision.   The
ignorant man identifies himself with the ego, and mistakes its activities for those of the Self, whereas the ego of the Jnani has
been lost and he does not limit himself to this body or that, this event or that, and so on.

contd.,

Arunachala Siva.     

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #191 on: June 15, 2013, 01:21:16 PM »

Talks No. 607:

continues....

There is action in seeming inaction, and also inaction in seeming action as in the following instances:

1. A child is fed while asleep.  On waking up the next morning, he denies having been fed.  It is a case of inaction in seeming
action. For although the mother saw him take his food, the child himself is not aware.

2. The cartman sleeps in he cart when it jogs along the way in the night.  And yet he reaches the destination and claims to have
driven the cart.  This is a case of action in seeming inaction.

3.  A man appearing to listen to a story nods his head to the speaker but yet his mind is otherwise active and he does not really
follow the story.

4. Two friends sleep side by side.  One of them dreams that both of them travel around the globe and have varied experiences.
On waking the dreamer tell story that both of them have been round the earth.  The other treats the story with contempt.

The lady protested that dream and sleep do not make any appeal to her.  She was asked why then she should be careful
about her bed unless she courted sleep. 

She said that it was for relaxation of the exhausted limbs, rather a state of auto intoxication.  'The sleep state is really dull,
whereas the waking state is full of beautiful and interesting things.'

Maharshi: What you consider to be filled with beautiful and interesting things is indeed dull and ignorant state of sleep,
according to the Jnani. ya nishta sarva bhootanam tasyam jagrati samyami

The wise one is wide awake just where darkness rules for others.  You must certainly wake up from the sleep which is holding
you at present.

Arunachala Siva.

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #192 on: June 16, 2013, 01:28:37 PM »

Talks No.  608:

Mrs. Hick Riddingh wrote two questions on a slip of paper and asked Sri Bhagavan if her interpretations were correct.

Maharshi:  The Self is beyond ignorance and knowledge.  It is Absolute.  These doubts do not arise to the Self for it is
Pure Consciousness and cannot admit of dark ignorance. 

Devotee:  From our point of view they arise.

Maharshi: See to whom they arise.  Go to the root. See if they arise after you reach their source and hold on to it.

Devotee:  But at the present moment.......

Maharshi: Such discussions are theoretical and there will be no end to them.  One must be practical and try to solve
the problems for oneself by the method suggested.  The method has been pointed out already.  Find out to whom the
questions arise.  They resolve themselves immediately.

Arunachala Siva.         

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #193 on: June 17, 2013, 02:34:39 PM »

Talks No.  609.

Lady Bateman and others came to the Hall at about 3.30 pm. In a few minutes she asked in writing if one is nearer to Pure
Consciousness, in deep sleep, than in the waking state.

Maharshi: The sleep, dream and waking states are mere phenomena appearing on the Self which is itself stationary and also
a state of simple awareness.  Can one remain away from the Self at any moment?  This question will arise only if that were
possible. 

Devotee:  Is it not often said that one is nearer Pure Consciousness in deep slumber than in the waking state?

Maharshi:  The question may as well be: Am I nearer to myself in my sleep than in my waking state?

For the Self is Pure Consciousness.  No one can ever be away from the Self.  The question is possible only when there is
duality.  But there is no duality  in the state of Pure Consciousness. 

The same person sleeps, dreams and wakes up.  The waking state is considered to be full of beautiful and interesting things.
The absence of such experience makes one say that the sleep state is dull.  Before we proceed further let us make this point
clear.  Do you not admit that you exist in your sleep?

Devotee: Yes. I do.

Maharshi: You are the same person that is now awake. Is it not so?

Devotee: Yes.

Maharshi: So there is continuity in the sleep and the waking states. What is that continuity?  It is only the state of Pure Being.

There is a difference in the two states.  What is that difference?"  The incidents, namely the body, the world and objects appear
in the waking state but they disappear in the sleep.

Devotee: But I am not aware in my sleep.

Maharshi: True.  There is no awareness of the body or of the world.  But you must exist in your sleep in order to say now 'I was
not aware in my sleep.' Who says now?  It is the wakeful person.  The sleeper cannot say so.  That is to say, the individual who
is now identifying the Self with the body says that such awareness did not exist in sleep.

contd.,

Arunachala Siva.               

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #194 on: June 18, 2013, 04:00:21 PM »
Talks No. 609:

continues....

Because you identify yourself with the body, you see the world around you and say that the waking state is filled with
beautiful and interesting things.  The sleep state appears dull, because you were not there as an individual and therefore
these things were not.  But what is the fact? There is the continuity of Being in all the three states, but no continuity of
the individual and objects.

Devotee:  Yes.

Maharshi: That which is continuous is also enduring, i.e. permanent. That which is discontinuous is transitory.

Devotee: Yes.

Maharshi: Therefore the state of Being is permanent and the body and the world are not. They are fleeting phenomena passing
on the screen of Being-Consciousness which is eternal and stationary.

Devotee: Relatively speaking, is not the state of sleep nearer to the Pure Consciousness than the waking state?

Maharshi: Yes. In this sense:  When passing from sleep to waking the 'I' thought must start. The mind comes into play. Thoughts
arise.  And then the functions of the body come into operation.  All these together make us say that we are awake.  The absence
of all this evolution is the characteristic of sleep and therefore it is nearer to Pure Consciousness than the waking state.

But one should not therefore desire to be always in sleep.  In the first place, it is impossible.  For it will necessarily alternate with
the other states.  Secondly it cannot be the state of bliss in which the Jnani is, for his state is permanent and not alternating.
Moreover, the sleep stage is not recognized  to be one of awareness by people, but the sage is always aware.  Thus the sleep
state differs from the state of in which the sage is established.

Still more, the sleep state is free from thoughts and their impression to the individual.   It cannot be altered by one's will because
effort is impossible in that condition.  Although nearer to Pure Consciousness it is not fit for efforts to realize the Self.

contd.,

Arunachala Siva.