Author Topic: Talks with Sri Ramana Maharshi:  (Read 66194 times)

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
Re: Talks with Sri Ramana Maharshi:
« Reply #75 on: February 22, 2013, 10:35:44 AM »
Talks No. 472:

From the group of Punjabis who had arrived here in a pilgrim special, one gentleman asked:

D: Is it all right for those who believe in God. Others ask......'Is there a god?'

Maharshi: Are you there?

Devote; Quite so. That is the question. I see before my eyes a battalion of sepoys passing. Therefore I am. The world must have
been created by God. How shall I see the Creator?

Maharshi: See yourself, who sees these, and the problem is solved.

D: Is it to sit silent or to read sacred books or to concentrate on the mind?  Bhakti helps concentration. People fall at the feet of the
bhaktas.  If it does not happen, he feels disappointed and his bhakti fades.

Maharshi: The longing for happiness never fades. That is true bhakti.

D: How shall I get it quicker? Suppose I concentrate two hours today. If I try to lengthen the period next day, I fall asleep because
I get tired of the job.

Maharshi:  You do not get tired in sleep. The same person is now present here. Why should be tired now?  Because your mind is
restless and wanders, it gets tired, and not you.

D: I am a businessman. How shall I get on with business and get peace of mind also?

Maharshi: This is also a thought. Give up this thought also and remain as your true Self.

D: It is said: Do your duty without any expectation of results. How shall I get that frame of mind?

Maharshi: You need not aspire for or any get any new state. Get rid of your present thoughts, that is all.

D: How shall I get the bhakti necessary for it?

Maharshi: It is bhakti to get rid of thought which are only alien to you (the Self).

D: What is thought-force, mesmerism etc.,?  There was a doctor in Paris called Dr. Coue.  He was illiterate, but yet was able to
cure many incurable diseases by will force. He used to say: Generate power to cure yourself. The power is within you.

Maharshi: It is through the same will power that the seat of all diseases, the body, has risen.

D: So it is said that the thoughts manifest as objects.

Maharshi: This thought must be for mukti.

D: God must enable to get rid of all other thoughts.

Maharshi: This is again a thought. Let that which has incarnated raise the question. You are not because you are free from thoughts.

Arunachala Siva.                 

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #76 on: February 23, 2013, 10:22:12 AM »
Talks No. 472:

continues.....

Another visitor from Rawalpindi asked:  "The Atman is formless. How shall I concentrate on it?

Maharshi: Leave alone the Atman which you say is formless or intangible.  Mind is tangible to you.  Hold the mind and it will do.

Devotee: Mind itself is very subtle and is also the same as the Atman.  How shall we know the nature of the mind?  You have
said that all supports are useless. What should be our stand then?

Maharshi: Where does your mind stand?

Devotee: Where does it stand?

Maharshi: Ask the mind itself.

Devotee: I ask you now.  Should we concentrate on mind then?

Maharshi: Um!

Devotee: But what is the nature of the mind?  It is formless. The problem is perplexing.

Maharshi: Why are you perplexed?

Devotee: The Sastras want us to concentrate and I cannot do so.

Maharshi: Through what Sastras have we known our existence?

Devotee: It is a matter of experience. But I want to concentrate.

Maharshi:  Be free from thoughts. Do not hold on to anything.  They do not hold on you.  Be yourself.

Devotee: I do not yet understand as to where I take my stand and concentrate/ Can I meditate on my mind?

Maharshi: Whose mind?

Devotee: My own mind?

Maharshi: Who are you? The question now resolves itself all right.

The visitor returned after lunch at 2.30 pm and pursued the same question.

He said: Maharshi advises the seeker to get rid of thoughts. On what should I concentrate the mind after all thoughts are expelled.

Maharshi: For whom is the concentration?

Devotee: For the mind.

Maharshi: Then concentrate the mind.

Devotee: On what?

Maharshi: Answer the question yourself. What is the mind? Why should you concentrate?

Devotee: I do not know what mind is. I ask the Maharshi.

Maharshi: Maharshi does not seek to know the mind. The questioner must question the mind itself as to what it is.

Devotee: Maharshi advises that the mind should be divested of thoughts.

Maharshi: This is itself a thought.

Devotee: When all  thoughts disappear what remains over?

Maharshi: Is the mind different from thoughts?

Devotee: No. the mind is made up of thoughts. My point is this: When all thoughts are got rid of, how shall I concentrate the mind?

Maharshi: Is not this also a thought?

Devotee: Yes. But I am advised to concentrate.

Maharshi:  Why should you concentrate? Why should you not allow your thoughts free play?

Devotee: The Sastras say that the thoughts, thus playing free, lead us astray, that is, to unreal and changeful things.

Maharshi: So then, you want not to be led to unreal and changeful things.  Your thoughts are unreal and cahngeful.
You want to hold the Reality.  That is exactly what I say. The thoughts are unreal. Get rid of them.
Get rid of them.

continued.....

Arunachala Siva.                   

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #77 on: February 24, 2013, 09:31:22 AM »
Talks No. 472.

Rawalpindi visitor's conversation continues......

Devotee: I understand now. Yet there is a doubt. 'Not a trice can you remain inactive'.  (says Gita). How shall I be able to rid
myself of thoughts?

Maharshi:  The same Gita says: 'Although all actions take place, I am not the doer.'  It is like the sun towards the world activities.
The Self always remains, actionless, whereas thoughts arise and subside.  The Self is Perfection. It is immutable; the mind is \
limited and changeful.  You need only to cast off your limitations. Your perfection thus stands revealed.

Devotee: Grace is necessary for it.

Maharshi: Grace is ever present.  All that is necessary is that you surrender to It.

Devotee: I surrender and pray that even if I go wrong I may be forcibly drawn to it.

Maharshi:  Is this surrender? Surrender to be complete must be unquestioning.

Devotee: Yes. I surrender. You say I must dive into the ocean of the Self like a pearl diver into the sea.

Maharshi:  Because you are now thinking that you are out of the ocean of Consciousness.

Devotee: I practice pranayama. It generates heat in the body.  What should I do?

Maharshi:  The heat will pass away when the mind gets calm.

Devotee: That is true bu most difficult.

Maharshi: This is again a thought which is an obstacle.

Arunachala Siva.         

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #78 on: February 25, 2013, 10:13:25 AM »
Talks No. 473:

Someone remarked:  It is said that they get mukti unasked who live or die within a radius of 30 miles round Arunachala. It is also
admitted that only by Jnana is liberation obtained. The purana also remarks that Vedanta Vijnana is difficult to get. So mukti is
difficult.  But life or death around abut the Hill bestows mukti so easily.  How can it be?

Maharshi:  Siva says, 'By My command'.  Those who live here need no initiation, diksha etc.,  but get mukti....Such is the command
of Siva.

Devotee: The purana also says that those who are born here are Siva's group of followers, such as ghosts, spirits, disembodied
beings, etc.,

Maharshi: So it is said of other kshetras as well, e.g. Tiruvarur, Chidambaram.

Devotee:  How does mere life or death here confer mukti?  It is difficult to understand.

Maharshi: Darsanad Abhradasi jananat Kamalalaye, Kasyantu maranam muktih smaranad Arunachale.

"To see Chidmabaram, to be born in Tiruvarur, to die in Kasi or merely to think of Arunachala, is to be assured of liberation."

Jananat Kamalalaye means 'By being born in Kamalalaya'. What is it?  It is the Heart.

Similarly Abhrasadasi - Seat of Consciousness. Again Kasi is the Light of Liberation. Remembering Arunachala completes the verse.
It must also be understood in the same sense.

Arunachala Siva. 

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #79 on: February 26, 2013, 10:41:53 AM »
Talks No. 473:

( a little later)

Devotee: It is so difficult to spot the mind. The same difficulty is shared by all.

Maharshi:  You can never find the mind through mind. Pass beyond it in order to find it non existent.

Devotee:  Then one must directly go to seek the ego.  Is it so?

Maharshi: That is it.

Mind, ego, intellect are all different names for one single inner organ. (antahkarana).  The mind is only the aggregate of
thoughts. Thoughts cannot exist but for the ego. So all thoughts are pervaded by the ego (aham).
Seek where from the 'I' rises and the other thoughts will disappear.

Devotee: What remains over cannot be 'I' but Pure Consciousness.

Maharshi: Quite so. You start seeking happiness. On analysis you find that misery is caused by thoughts. They are called
the mind. While trying to control the mind you seek the 'I' and get fixed in Being-Knowledge-Bliss.

Another devotee: What then is the mind?

Maharshi: Mind is consciousness which has put on limitations. You are originally unlimited and perfect. Later you take on
limitations and become the mind.

Devotee: Is avarana (veiling) then. How does this happen?

Maharshi:  To whom is the avarana?  It is the same as avidya. (ignorance), ego or the mind.

Devotee: Avarana means obscuration.  Who is obscured?  How does it arise?

Maharshi: The limitation is itself obscuration.  No questions will arise if limitations are transcended.

Arunachala Siva.   

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #80 on: February 27, 2013, 05:07:25 PM »
Talks No. 475;

Sri Maharshi read out a news item from a paper to the following effect:

A forest guard armed with a rifle was going in the jungle and noticed two bright spots in a thicket. On closer approach,
to find out what they were, he was face to face with a huge tiger within  a few yards of him. He threw down his gun and
assumed a prayerful attitude towards the jungle king.  The tiger stood up and slowly walked away without injuring him.

Arunachala Siva.   

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #81 on: February 28, 2013, 01:49:42 PM »
Talks No. 474:

There was some reference to the heart. Sri Bhagavan said: The yoga sastras speak of 72,000 nadis, of 101 nadis etc.,
A reconciliation is effected by others that 101 are the main nadis, which is subdivided into 72,000. These nadis are supposed
by some to spread out from the brain, by others from the Heart and by some others from the coccyx.  They speak of a paranadi
which is said to rise up from the coccyx through the Sushumna to the brain and descends to the heart. Others say that the
Sushumna ends in Para.

A few advise seeking realization in the head (Sahasrara), a few between the eyebrows; a few in the heart; others in the solar
plexus.  If realization amounts to gaining Paranadi, one might enter it from the Heart. But the yogi is engaged in cleansing up the
nadis.  Then Kundalini is awakened which is said to rise up from the coccyx to the head. The yogi is later advised to come down
to the Heart as the final step.

The Vedas say: The Heart is like a lotus turned down; or a plantain bud.

'There is a bright spot atom like, like the end of a grain of paddy.

'That spot is like a flame and in its center, transcendental Brahman is seated.'

Which is the Heart?  Is it the heart of the physiologists?  if so, the physiologists know best.

The Heart of the Upanishads is construed as Hridayam, meaning This (is) the center. That is, it is where the mind rises and subsides.
This is the seat of Realization. When I say that it is the Self the people imagine that it is within the body. When I ask where the Self
remains in one's sleep they seem to think it is within the body, unaware, of the body and its surroundings like a man confined in a
dark room. to such people, it is necessary to say that the seat of Realization is somewhere within the body. The name of the center
is the Heart, but is confounded with the heart organ.

continued.....

Arunachala Siva.                         

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #82 on: March 01, 2013, 10:13:58 AM »
Talks No. 474 :

continues...

When a man dreams, he creates himself (i.e. ahamkaram, the seer) and the surroundings. All of them are later withdrawn
into himself. The one became many, along with the seer. Similarly also, the the one becomes many in the waking state. The
objective world is really subjective. An astronomer discovers a new star at immeasurable distance and announces that its light
takes thousands of light years to reach the earth.  Well, where is the star in fact?  Is it not in the observer?  But people wonder
how a huge globe, larger than the Sun, at such a distance can be contained in the brain cells of a man. The Space, the magnitudes
and the paradox are all in the mind only. How do they exist there?  In as much as, you become aware of them, you must admit a
light which illumines them.  These thoughts are absent in sleep but rise up on waking. So this light  is transient, having an origin
and an end. the consciousness of "I" is permanent and continuous. So this cannot be the aforesaid light,  It is different but has
no independent existence. Therefore it must be abhasa (reflected light).  The light in the brain is thus a reflected knowledge (abhasa
samvit) or reflected being (abhasa sat).  The true knowledge (Samvit) or Being (Sat) is in the center called Heart (Hridaya).  When
one wakes up from sleep it is reflected in the head, and so the head is no longer lying prone but rises up. From there the consciousness
spreads all over the body and so the superimposed 'I' functions as the wakeful entity.

The pure light in the brain is Suddha Manas (the pure mind) which later becomes contaminated and is malina manas, the one ordinarily
found.

All these are however contained in the Self. The body and its counterparts are in the Self. The Self is not contained in the body,
as it is commonly supposed.

Arunachala Siva.         

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #83 on: March 02, 2013, 12:48:33 PM »
Talks No. 476:

Dr. Stanley Jones, a Christian Missionary, visited Maharshi. He writes books and delivers lectures. He has two Asrmams under his
control in North India. He was accompanied by another gentleman and two ladies.  He is at present writing a book On the Indian
Road and wants to meet the spiritually great men in India so that he may collect material for the bool He desired to know how the
Indian sages have proceeded and what they have found at their experience in divinity.  So he asked questions.  (This is only a short
sketch of his interview).

Devotee; What is your quest?  What is the goal? How far have you progressed?

Maharshi:  The goal is the same for all. But tell me why should be in search of a goal?  Why are you not content with the present
condition?

Devotee: Is there then no goal?

Maharshi: Not so. What makes you seek a goal? It is a counter question to be answered by you. 

Devotee: I have my own ideas of these subjects. I want to know what Maharshi has to say.

Maharshi;  Maharshi has no doubts to be cleared.

Devotee:  Well, I consider the goal to be the realization by the lower mind of the higher mind so that the Kingdom of Heaven might
endure here on earth. The lower mind is incomplete and it must be made perfect by realization of the higher mind.

Maharshi: So then you admit a lower mind which is incomplete and which seeks realization of the higher so that it may become perfect.         
Is that lower mind part from the higher mind?  Is it independent of the other?

Devotee:  The Kingdom of Heaven was brought down on Earth by Jesus Christ. I consider Him to be the Kingdom personified.
I want everyone to realize the same.  He said; 'I am hungry with other man's hunger.' and so on. Mutual partnership in pleasure
and pain is the Kingdom of Heaven. If that Kingdom is universalized everyone will feel at one with the rest.

Maharshi: You speak of differences between the lower mind and higher minds, pleasures and pains. What becomes of these differences
in your sleep?

contd.,,

Arunachala Siva.     

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #84 on: March 03, 2013, 12:03:47 PM »
Talks No. 476:

Dr. Stanley Jones's conversation continues......

Devotee: But I want to be wide awake,

Maharshi: Is this your wide awakened state?  It is not. It is only a dream in your long sleep. All are in sleep, dreaming, of the
world and things and actions.

Devotee: This is all Vedantic. I have no use for it. The existing differences are not imaginary. They are positive.  However, what is that
real waking? Can Maharshi tell us what He has found it to be?

Maharshi: Real waking lies beyond the three states of waking, dream, and deep sleep.

Devotee: I am really awake and know that I am not in sleep.

Maharshi: Real waking lies beyond the plane of differences.

Devotee: What is the state of the world then?

Maharshi: Does the world come and tell you 'I exist'?

Devotee: No. But the people in the world tell me that the world needs spiritual, social and moral regenaration.

Maharshi:  You see the world and the people in it. They are your thoughts. Can the world be apart from you?

Devotee: I enter into it with love.

Maharshi: Before entering thus do you stand aloof?

Devotee: I am identifying with it and yet remaining apart. Now I came to ask Maharshi and hear Him.. Why does He ask me
questions?

Maharshi: Maharshi has replied. His reply amounts to this. Real waking does not involve differences.

Devotee: Can such realization be universalized? 

Maharshi:  Where are differences there?  There are no individuals in it.

Devotee: Have you reached the goal?

Maharshi: The goal cannot be anything apart from the Self nor can it be something to be gained afresh.  If that were so, such goal
cannot be abiding and permanent.  What appears anew will also disappear. The goal must be eternal and within. Find it within yourself.

Devotee: I want to know your experience.

Maharshi: Maharshi does not seek enlightenment.  The question is of the no use to the questioner. Whether I have realized or not,
how does it affect the questioner?

Devotee: Not so. Each one's experience has a human value in it and can be shared by others.

Maharshi: The problem must be solved by the questioner himself. The question is best directed to oneself.

Devotee: I know the answer to the question.

Maharshi: Let us have it.

Devotee> It was shown the Kingdom of Heaven twenty years ago. It was by God's grace only. I made no effort for it. I was happy.
I want to universalize, moralize and socialize it. At the same time I want to know Maharshi's experience of the Divine.

contd.,

Arunachala Siva.                     

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #85 on: March 04, 2013, 10:53:09 AM »
Talks No. 476:

Dr. Stanley Jones' conversation continues......

Mrs. Jinarajadasa intervened and spoke softly: We all agree that Maharshi has brought the Kingdom of Heaven  on Earth. Why do
you press Him to answer your questions relating to His realization? It is for you to seek and gain it.

The questioner listened to her, argued slightly and resumed his questions to Maharshi.  After one or two light questions,
Major Chadwick spoke sternly: "The Kingdom of Heaven is within you." says the Bible.

Devotee: How shall I realize it?

Major Chadwick: Why do you ask Maharshi to realize it for you?

Devotee: I do not.

Major Chadwick: The Kingdom  is within you.  You should realize it.

Devotee: It is WITHIN you only for those who hear it.

Major Chadwick: The Bible says WITHIN YOU and adds no qualifications.

The questioner felt his conversations was already too long, and so retired after thanking Maharshi and others.

Arunachala Siva.   

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #86 on: March 05, 2013, 01:10:13 PM »
Talks No. 477:

Mrs. Jinarajadasa: How shall we be able to remember the truth experienced in dreams?

Maharshi: Your present waking state, your dreams and your desires to remember are all thoughts.  They arise only after the mind
has arisen. Were you not existing in the absence of the mind?

Devotee: Yes, I was.

Maharshi: The fact of your existence is also your realization.

Devotee: I understand it intellectually. The truth is felt in temporary flashes only. It is not abiding.

Maharshi: Such thoughts smother up the state of your eternal realization.

Devotee: The rough and tumble of town life is not congenial to realization. Jungle retreats afford the necessary quiet and solitude.

Maharshi: One can be free in a town and may yet be bound in jungle retreats. It is all in the mind.

Devotee: The mind again is Maya, I suppose.

Maharshi: What is Maya? The knowledge that the mind is divorced from the Reality is Maya. The mind is in Reality only and not apart.
This knowledge is the elimination of Maya.

Arunachala Siva.

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #87 on: March 06, 2013, 10:33:28 AM »
Talks No. 478:

A certain man from Madurai asked:  How to know the Power of God?

Maharshi:  You say 'I AM'. That is it. What else can say I AM?

One's own being is His Power.  The trouble arises only when one say, 'I am this or that, such and such.'  Do not do it. ---
Be yourself.  That is all.

Devotee: How to experience Bliss?

Maharshi: To be free from thinking 'I am now out of Bliss.'

Devotee: That is to say free from modes of mind.

Maharshi: To be with only one mode of mind to the exclusion of others.

Devotee: But Bliss must be experienced.

Maharshi: Bliss consists in not forgetting your being. How can you be otherwise than what you really are?  It is also to be the
Seat of Love. Love is Bliss. Here the Seat is not different from Love.

Devotee: How shall I be all pervading?

Maharshi: Give up the thought, 'I am not all pervading now.'

Devotee: How to permeate the separate objects?

Maharshi: Do they exist independently of 'I'?  Do they say to you, 'We are'?  You see them. You are, and then the objects are also
seen. 'Without me, these do not exist'. --- this knowledge is permeation.  Owing to the idea 'I am the body; there is something in me.'
the separate objects are seen as if lying outside. Know that they are all within yourself.  Is a piece of cloth independent of yarn?
Can the objects remain without Me?

Arunachala Siva.     

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #88 on: March 07, 2013, 01:16:13 PM »
Talk No. 479:

Devotee: Which is the best of all the religions?  What is Sri Bhagavan's method?

Maharshi:  All religions and methods are one and the same.

Devotee: Different methods are taught for liberation.

Maharshi: Why should you be liberated?  Why not remain as you are now?

Devotee: I want to get rid of pain. To be rid of it is said to be liberation.

Maharshi: That is what all  religions teach.

Devotee: But what is the method?

Maharshi: To retrace your way back.

Devotee: Whence have I come?

Maharshi: This is what you should know. Did these questions arise in your sleep?  Did you not exist then?  Are you not the same
being now?

Devotee: Yes. I was in sleep. So also the mind; but the senses had merged, so I could not not speak.

Maharshi: Are you jiva?  Are you the mind? Did the mind announce itself to you in sleep?

Devotee: No. But elders say that the Jiva is different from Isvara.

Maharshi: Leave Isvara alone. Speak for yourself.

Devotee: What about myself? Who am I?

Maharshi: That is just it. Know it, when all will be known, if not, ask then.

Devotee: On waking I see the world and I am not changed from sleep.

Maharshi: But this is not known in sleep. Now or then, the same you remain.  Who has changed now?  Is your nature to be
changing or remain unchanging?

Devotee: What is the proof?

Maharshi: Does one's own being require a proof?  Only remain aware of your own self, all else will be known.

Devotee: Why then do the dualists and non dualists quarrel among themselves?

Maharshi: If each one minds his own business, there will be no quarrel.

Arunachala Siva.       

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #89 on: March 08, 2013, 01:12:52 PM »
Talks No. 480:

A European lady, Mrs. Gasque, gave a slip of paper on which was written:

We are thankful to Nature and the Infinite Intelligence for your Presence among us.  We appreciate that your Wisdom is
founded upon pure Truth and the basic principle of Life and Eternity.  We are happy that you remind us to "be still and know
That."

Then she asked: What do you consider the future of this Earth?

Maharshi: The answer to this question is contained in the other sheet. Be Still and now that I am God.  'Stillness means here
'Being free from thoughts".

Devotee: This does not answer the question.  The planet has a future -- what is it to be?

Maharshi: time and Space are functions of thoughts. If thoughts do cease, there will be no future or the Earth.

Devotee: Time and Space will remain even if we do not think of them.

Maharshi: Do they come and tell you that they are?  Do you feel them in your sleep?

Devotee: I was not conscious in my sleep.

Maharshi: Yet you were existing in your sleep.

Devotee: I was not in my body.  I had gone out somewhere and jumped in here, just  before waking up.

Maharshi:  Your having been away in sleep and jumping in now are  mere ideas. Where were you in sleep?  You were only that
you are, but with this difference, viz., that you were free from thoughts in sleep.

continued.....

Arunachala Siva.