Author Topic: Direct Teaching of Bhagavan Ramana:  (Read 28447 times)

Nagaraj

• View Profile
Re: Direct Teaching of Bhagavan Ramana:
« Reply #30 on: December 20, 2012, 02:25:10 PM »
Friends,

I am reminded about this wonderful expression of Gregory of Nyssa, a 4th century christian saint:

When I see every hill top, every valley, every plain covered with fresh sprung grass, and then the various array of the trees, and at my feet the lilies, doubly furnished by nature, both with pleasant and with beauty of colour; where in the distance I behold the sea, to which the wondering cloud leads the way, my mind is siezed by a melancholy which is not without happiness; and and when in autumn the fruits disappear, the leaves fall and the boughs are left bare, we are absorbed in the thought of the eternal and continously recurring change in the accord of the marvellous forces of nature. Whoever apprehends this with this intelligent eyes of the soul, feels the littleness of man compared with the greatness of the universe.

॥ शांतमात्मनि तिष्ट ॥
Remain quietly in the Self.
~ Vasishta

Jewell

• Love,always love and only love
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 20, 2012, 04:00:41 PM »
Dear Friends, When this  subject is in mind,i think that we all are only defending our own way of practice and living. That is natural. The way i see and feel it,Bhagavan is saying only this - Dont wait for special apangments to dive inward. Dont depend on circoumstances,wherever you are,dont try to change it,USE IT. You are not the one who is affected. That is the whole point! Dont be attached to anything,solitude too,or not solitude. It doasnt matter.-  It is His will anyway. If it is solitude good,if it is not,again good. Surrend. Thats the way i see it,and we all should do what ever He show us to do. With love and prayers,

Jewell

• Love,always love and only love
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 20, 2012, 04:20:24 PM »
Solitude,or not,it is not something we can chose,no matter how much we try. We can go anywhere,but we cannot run away from us. We cary our mind with us. For someone is good to be alone,and for others is not. But,the whole point is to face with our own mind,were ever we are. With love and prayers,

Nagaraj

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 20, 2012, 04:26:41 PM »
Sri Jewel, and friends,

just in a lighter vein, :) ultimately, what you have expressed also becomes your own way and practice which you have expressed, which also amounts to defending our own way of practice and living :D

it becomes an endless cycle, then, is it not? then there would be no scope of exchanges at all. Infact, this expression of yours has come from profound insight, discerning the futility of reasoning, each one ultimately converses with oneself alone, and it is absolutely not possible to share knowledge, knowledge has to sprout from within, knowledge is not something that can be given or taken. that was the essence that was being communicated in the series of exchanges now and in the past. you have come to right conclusions, which i truly believe is in line with the teachings of Sri Ramana, Sri Ramakrishna, the Knowledge scriptures, and others. we now realise, what good it is in presenting our views, who presents the views and who receives it? when such flashes occur from within, we just want to keep quiet and surrender, knowing how little we are, how small we are.

When the amrit manthan happened, in the ocean, when the devas and asuras churned the ocean, both poisons and nectar sprang forth, and only in the end, only finally, the nectar came. When the churning is happening, many things come up, but the true disciple ignores the semi divine wonderful things that spring from the churning and stay put with the real purpose, the ultimate truth.

It may also seem all are saying the same truth, but in their own way, but true disciple realises and stops not with this, he surrenders and gives up!!! all is maya.

:)

॥ शांतमात्मनि तिष्ट ॥
~ Vasishta

Nagaraj

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 20, 2012, 04:46:50 PM »
Bingo, I knew, you would ask this, :D

my answer: "I do not know", i am comfortable in saying this so, all that i surely know is the fact of my not knowing! This much I can vouch safe clearly! However I am prompted to present the below words of a great Sage and I believe He is doing so. That is faith!

O Mother, what a machine is this that Thou hast made! What pranks Thou playest with this toy Three and a half cubits high!

God alone is the Doer. I say: 'O Lord, I do as Thou doest through me. I speak as Thou speakest through me. I am the machine and Thou art the Operator. I am the house and Thou art the Indweller. I am the engine and Thou art the Engineer.'

॥ शांतमात्मनि तिष्ट ॥
~ Vasishta

Beloved Abstract

• View Profile
    • David Ford Art
« Reply #35 on: December 20, 2012, 06:59:01 PM »
when you BELIEVE you are a separate person you are already in solitude from " others " .
what is really surrendered in realizing truth is the story of the self , the BELIEF that you are a separate person .
what stops us from being quiet is fear of truth , because to the mind , truth , which the mind sees as nothingness , is death , so it avoids it by telling stories about things .

there was a farmer had a dog and Bingo was his name oh
B - i - n - g - o    B - i - n - g - o    B - i - n - g - o
and Bingo was his name oh

;D
simply stop telling the story of the self and see who you are without it

Nagaraj

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 20, 2012, 07:06:07 PM »
what stops us from being quiet is fear of truth , because to the mind , truth , which the mind sees as nothingness , is death , so it avoids it by telling stories about things .

Where is fear Beloved Abstract? and Where is death? where is nothingness and where is the mind? what is avoided? and who tells stories about things?

IN the same line as you have expressed -

when you BELIEVE you are a separate person you are already in solitude from " others " .
what is really surrendered in realizing truth is the story of the self , the BELIEF that you are a separate person .

So long you believe in stories, stories you will see, the belief that you are seeing and telling stories, makes you see things as stories!

When you are able to see the Stories as the not yours, but His, all stories ceases! Or when you are able to see the stories not different from the Self, all stories cease!

॥ शांतमात्मनि तिष्ट ॥
~ Vasishta

Beloved Abstract

• View Profile
    • David Ford Art
« Reply #37 on: December 20, 2012, 07:57:02 PM »
lol     :)

Beloved Abstract

• View Profile
    • David Ford Art
« Reply #38 on: December 20, 2012, 07:58:43 PM »
" i LOOOOOVE stories ! "  ..... Homer Simpson

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 21, 2012, 09:28:50 AM »
BLOSSOMS OF BLESSINGS:

Part II: continues...

A man asked the Maharshi to say something to him. When asked what he wanted to know, he said that he knew nothing
and wanted to hear something from the Maharshi.

Maharshi: You know that you know nothing. Find out that Knowledge. That is liberation, mukti.

- Talk No. 12.

Maharshi: When a man dies,  the funeral pyre is prepared and the body is laid flat on the pyre. The pyre is lit. The skin
is burnt, the flesh and then the bones until the whole body falls to ashes. What remains thereafter? The mind. The question
arises, 'How many are there in this body --- one or two?' If two why do people say, 'I' and not 'we'? There is therefore only
one. Whence is it born? What is its nature? (swarupa)? Inquiring thus the mind also disappears. Then what remains over is seen
to be "I'. The next question is 'Who am I?' The Self alone. This is contemplation. It is how I did it. By this process, attachment
to the body (deha vasana) is destroyed. The ego vanishes. Self alone shines.

- Talk No. 34.

Blossoms of Blessings - Part II - concluded.

Arunachala Siva.

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: December 22, 2012, 10:33:31 AM »
BLOSSOMS OF BLESSINGS:

Part III:

Maharshi: 'I am that I am'. 'I am' is God.  -- not thinking 'I am God'. Realize 'I am' and do not think I am. 'Know I am God'
-- it is said, and not 'Think I am God.'

Later Sri Bhagavan continued: It is said "I AM that I AM". That means a person must abide as the 'I'. He is always the
'I' alone. He is nothing else. Yet he asks 'Who am I?' a victim of illusion would ask 'Who am I?' and not a man fully aware of
himself. The wrong identity of the Self with the non-self makes you ask, 'Who am I?'

Later still: There are different routes to Tiruvannamalai, but Tiruvannamalai is the same by which ever route it is gained.
Similarly the approach to the subject varies according to the personality. Yet the Self is the same.  But still, being in
Tiruvannamalai, if one asks how to realize the Self it looks absurd. You are the Self. Remain as the Self. That is all. The
questions arise because of the present wrong identification of the Self with the body. That is ignorance. This must go.
On its removal the Self alone is.

Talk No. 354.

Mrs. Jennings: Sri Bhagavan says that the state of Realization is freedom from the tyranny of thoughts. Have not the
thoughts got a place in the absence of things -- may be on a lower plane?

Maharshi: The thoughts arise from the 'I-thought' which in its turn arises from the Self. Therefore the Self manifests as
'I' and other thoughts. What does it matter if there are thoughts or no thoughts?

Devotee: Are good thoughts helpful for Realization? Are they not authentic via media, a lower rung of the ladder, to Realization?

Maharshi: Yes -- this way. They keep off bad thoughts. They must themselves disappear before the state of Realization.

Devotee: But are not the creative thoughts an aspect of Realization and therefore helpful?

Maharshi: Helpful only in the way said before. They must all disappear in the Self. Thoughts, good or bad, take you farther
and not nearer, because the Self is more intimate than thoughts. You are Self, whereas thoughts are alien to the Self.

Devotee: So the Self finally absorbs its own creation which had helped its Realization. Whereas civilization wrongly worships
and so separates and 'short circuits' its own creations which had helped its advance.

Maharshi: Are you not distinct from thoughts? Do you not exist without them? But can the thoughts exist without you?

- Talk No. 341.

Arunachala Siva.

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: December 23, 2012, 10:38:42 AM »
Devotee: Is there avidya?

Maharshi: For whom is it?

Devotee: For the ego-self.

Maharshi: Yes, for the ego. Remove the ego; avidya is gone. Look for it, the ego vanishes. The real Self alone remains.
The ego professing avidya is not to be seen. There is no avidya in reality. all Sastras are meant to disprove the existence
of avidya.

Devotee: How did the ego arise?

Maharshi: Ego is not. Otherwise do you admit two selves? How can there be avidya in the absence of the ego? If you
begin to inquire, the avidya which is already non existent, will be found not to be or you will say it has fled away.

Ignorance pertains to the ego. Why do you think of the ego and suffer? What is ignorance again? It is that which is non
existent. However, the worldly life requires the hypothesis of avidya. Avidya is only our ignorance and nothing more. It is
ignorance or forgetfulness of the Self. Can there be darkness before the Sun? Similarly, can there be ignorance before the
self evident and self luminous Self? If you know the Self there will be no darkness, no ignorance and no misery.

It is the mind which feels the trouble, misery, etc., Darkness never comes nor goes. See the Sun and there is no darkness.
Similarly, see the Self and avidya will be found not to exist.

Devotee: How is one to know the Self?

Maharshi: Knowing the Self means Being the Self. Can you say that you do not know the Self? Though you cannot see your own
eyes and though not provided with a mirror to look in, do you deny the existence of your eyes? Similarly, you are aware of the Self even though the Self is not  objectified. Or, do you deny your Self because it is not objectified? When you say, 'I cannot know the Self', it
means the absence in terms of relative knowledge, because you have been so accustomed to relative knowledge that you identify
yourself with it. Such wrong identity has forged the difficulty of not knowing the obvious Self because it cannot be objectified.
And you ask, 'How to know the Self?' Your difficulty is centered in 'How?' Who is to know the Self? Can the body know it? Let
the body answer. Who says that the body is perceived now?

- Talk No. 363.

Arunachala Siva.     

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: December 24, 2012, 01:54:06 PM »
BLOSSOMS OF BLESSINGS:

Part III:

Devotee: How to meditate?

Maharshi: Concentrate on that one whom you like best. If a single thought prevails, all other thoughts are put off and finally
eradicated. So long as diversity prevails, there are bad thoughts. When the object of love prevails one good thoughts hold the
field. Therefore, hold on to the one thought only. Dhyana is the chief practice.

A little later Sri Bhagavan continued:

Dhyana means fight. As soon as you begin meditation, other thoughts will crowd together, gather force and try to sink the
single thought to which you try to hold. The good thought must gradually gain strength by repeated practice. After it has grown
strong the other thoughts will put to flight. This is the battle royal always taking place in meditation.

One wants to rid oneself of misery. It requires peace of mind, which means absence of perturbation owing to all kinds of thoghts.
Peace of mind is brought about by dhyana alone.

- Talk No. 371.

Arunachala Siva.   

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: December 26, 2012, 01:34:14 PM »
BLOSSOMS OF BLESSINGS:

Part III: continues.....

Devotee: When I read Sri Bhagavan's works, I find that investigation is said to be the one method for Realization.

Maharshi: Yes. That is vichara.

Devotee: How is that to be done?

Maharshi: The questioner must admit the existence of his Self. 'I AM' is the Realization. To pursue the clue till Realization,
is vichara. Vichara and Realization are the same.

Devotee: It is elusive. What shall I meditate upon?

Maharshi: Meditation requires an object to meditate upon, whereas there is only the subject without the object in Vichara.
Meditation differs from Vichara in this way.

Devotte: Is not dhyana one of the efficient processes for Realization?

Maharshi: Dhyana is concentration on an object. It fulfills the purpose of keeping away diverse thoughts and fixing the mind
on a single thought, which must also disappear before Realization. But Realization is nothing new to be acquired. It is already
there, but obstructed by a screen of thoughts. All our attempts are directed for lifting this screen and then Realization is
revealed.

Talk No.  390.

Arunachala Siva.

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: December 27, 2012, 11:35:10 AM »
BLOSSOMS OF BLESSINGS:

Part II - continuies...

Devotee: Is concentration of mind one of the sadhanas?

Maharshi: Concentration is not thinking one thing. It is, on the other hand, putting of all other thoughts which obstruct
the vision of our true nature. All our efforts are only directed to lifting the veil of ignorance. Now it appears difficult to quell
the thoughts. In the regenerate state it will be found more difficult to call in thoughts. For are there things to think of?
There is only the Self. Thoughts can function only if there are objects. But there are no objects. How can thoughts arise at all?

The habit makes us believe that it is difficult to cease thinking. If the error is found out, one would not be fool enough to
exert oneself unnecessarily by way of thinking.

- Talk 398.

Arunachala Siva.