Author Topic: Direct Teaching of Bhagavan Ramana:  (Read 34734 times)

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
Re: Direct Teaching of Bhagavan Ramana:
« Reply #90 on: February 06, 2013, 08:54:39 AM »
PROGRESS;

For whom are the teaching and the teacher?

Man too has all along been obediently worshipping it, wondering over its grandeur and its invaluable worth!  Yet, time and again,
it has remained unused, for the simple reason that this precious Golden Chain is disjointed, loose and incomplete, as a vital link
is missing. That missing vital link keeps it away fro man, unadorned!

What is that missing link, the discovery and replacing of which will complete the Golden Chain?

The missing link, is 'You' - the 'You' referring to every one of us, individually. The 'You' refers to one who is now reading this line!
Adding this 'You' to it, which means waking up to one's own inner Divinity, will alone make this Golden Chain of Eternity complete.
Isn't it amazing? Suddenly, the 'You' becomes all important in the scheme of Existence. Yes, it is absolutely true.

To understand it better, one ha to raise the questions: "For whom is the teaching?"  "For whom is the teacher?"

We have been stressing the importance of the teachings and the teacher. However, hoary the teachings may be, it has value and
meaning only to one who imbibes it. Isn't it?  Without the taught, where is the importance for the teacher? Who is the imbiber of the
teachings?

O Reader! 'You' who are reading this line, it is for 'You' that all the teachings and all the teachers are intended. Your waking up to and
owning them is actually refining of the missing link to its rightful place in the Gold Chain of Eternity. Be assured that till 'You' wake up,
this precious jewel will remain unadorned!  Hence, the Vedas proclaim Tat Tvam Asi, You Are That.

contd.,

Arunachala Siva.             

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #91 on: February 07, 2013, 07:49:25 AM »
PROGRESS:

continues....

See, in a strange way, 'You' forget and ignore yourself. Who is it that has forgotten to include oneself, as a vital link, in this chain?
Does not this ignorance, forgetfulness, remind us the story of the "Ten Fools"?

In a village, there lived ten fools, who always stayed together. Once they had to cross a river. After swimming over to the other
shore, they suddenly, seriously doubted whether anyone had been drowned in the river. So, they decided to count and convince
themselves that all the ten were alive. The leader of the fools asked the rest to stand in a row and asked each one to shout the numbers 1,2,3. When the last man shouted '9', a chill fear gripped all of them, since they decided the tenth man was drowned.
Each one of them came forward and counted the rest and found the number nine alone was arrived at!  All of them started crying
aloud, mourning for the loss of the 'tenth' man. A wayfarer came, and seeing their plight, understood the real error of counting man
omitting himself! He asked them all to stand in a line and adopted their own method of each one shouting the number. Now, the
tenth man shouted 'Ten' !  All the fools rejoiced that the wayfarer was extraordinarily clever and so, could succeed in bringing back
the lost 'tenth' man alive! The 'tenth' man was never lost, as such there was no question of bringing him back to life also!  Forgetting
to count oneself who counted, was the only error!

contd.,

Arunachala Siva.           

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #92 on: February 08, 2013, 08:49:54 AM »
For Whom are the Teaching and the Teacher?

continues......

The seeker after Truth --- 'You' --- is, thus, all important to make alive every teaching and every teacher.  The Teacher, the Teachings
and 'You' are, therefore, the true Spiritual Trinity. The importance of 'You' is not exaggerated over over dramatized here. It is not
you, the body, nor you, the identified personality that is being referred to here as 'You'. The alive principle as 'You', the 'Awareness'
alone is pointed out. Should you not come to know who actually this 'You' is, apart from identifying yourself with your name and form
as a body? How to know the "YOU"?

Bhagavan Sri Ramana Maharshi gives you a unique method by which you can know who 'You' really are         .

chapter - concluded.

Arunachala Siva.

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #93 on: February 09, 2013, 08:54:46 AM »
WHO AM I?  SIMPLE TEACHING OF THE GREAT MASTER:

Having elaborately outlines the importance of the Teachings and the Teacher, I present here the Essence of "Who am I?"
teaching  of sri Ramana Maharshi, the Master of the millennium. Keeping in mind the logical and rational approach of the
readers, he presentation of the Teaching is couched in easily understandable terms, phrases and expressions. Yet, since
the undercurrent of the Teaching is purely spiritual, one has to delve deeply into it  to "experience" it, rather than
merely intellectually discern it or discuss it.  As such, 'practice' is the only key to unlock this spiritual treasure-trove of unalloyed
happiness and perennial Bliss, which Sri Ramana  Maharshi affirms is the "birthright"  of each  one of us!

"God and Guru (Master) are really one and identical. He that has earned the Grace of the Guru shall undoubtedly be saved and
never forsaken, just as the prey that has fallen into the jaws of a tiger will never be allowed to escape. Nevertheless, the disciple
for his part, must unswervingly follow the path shown by the Master" says Bhagavan Ramana.

Man is of the Divine Essence only.  But he is now steeped in ignorance shutting himself off from the knowledge of this Divine
Essence in him. The Divine vocation in man is ineradicable. It may be covered up for a time but it must well forth again.

contd.,

Arunachala Siva.   

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #94 on: February 10, 2013, 08:49:18 AM »
WHO AM ? THE SIMPLE TEACHING OF THE GREAT MASTER:

continues......

Man's movements are generally directed only outwards since all the senses in his body are turned outwards and tuned to absorb
things only from outside.  Weaned away from externalities, directing his attention inward, he recognizes the Divine nature in him,
revealing itself in all splendor.  Anyone thus turning within is bound to realize this eternal truth within. No one is excluded from
this Divine Consciousness. Man turning his attention outward by the very act excludes himself from consciously experiencing it,
though every man even in his ignorance is not devoid of experiencing this Divine Consciousness in himself. Whether he knows
it or not every man is filled with this Pure Consciousness, Pure Awareness.

That which clouds such Awareness from his conscious experience is his habit of clinging to externalities which is expressed in his
discontent, frailty , darkness and fear. Let him look within deeper and longer, and without fail he will notice this so called 'Hidden
and Mysterious' Self inhabiting his center, the source of his being. Turning within from the externalities and paying full attention to
this source brings about a tremendous change in man's life, since for the first time, he recognizes that he is of this Divine Essence.

He understands the scriptural declaration: "You are That" to mean "You are yourself That Divine Essence". Pure Awareness, the
'I AM' -ness in every man, is this Essence of God.

This Reality that exists in every man is Consciousness or Awareness. No man can say he does not know it. By the very act of hs
denying knowledge of it, he declares its presence!

continued....

Arunachala Siva.     

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #95 on: February 11, 2013, 10:20:55 AM »
WHO AM I? The Simple Teaching of the Great Master:

continues.....

The marks of the Reality are that it always exists and it is able to exist by and in Itself. The Awareness in man exists always, by
and int itself.  Each man has therefore within his grasp this opening to the Eternal Light within. Once has a glimpse of this
experience of his True Being within, which glows totally independently not needing his effort or support of its existence ----
all his external activities need his effort for their fructification --- he will realize that he has passed into a wonderful state, not
depending  on his five senses.  This is an experience which he has never had before. An experience which has got without the aid
of the five senses and that too within himself and by himself is unique indeed. That day of having this vision in oneself is the most starred day, for, on that day he is one with Eternity. Whoever engages in such inward exploration is not a dreamer, 'he merely antedates today what the multitude of men will perforce to do tomorrow.'         

Man therefore is a spiritual being having this capacity to possess the Wisdom. He breathes this Truth every moment! He thus contains
a Divine Infinitude within himself. This infinite Awareness is experienced as a perennial feeling of unalloyed happiness --- the 'Ananda' aspect of the Eternal Truth of Sat Chit Ananda.

contd.,

Arunachala Siva.

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #96 on: February 12, 2013, 08:54:31 AM »
WHO AM I? Simple Teaching of the Great Master:

continues.....

But, while stating the truth of our inner being thus, the head side of the coin, should we not also observe the obverse of
the coin?  The external world with its attractions and distractions devours man's attention, perhaps, absorbingly and wholly.
The complicated speed of the world outside to which the human system is so very strongly drawn, attached, is for ever drawing
man more and more to involve himself with matter, objects, activities external to oneself.  Time too rushes onward like a roaring
stream carrying the human race along with it and drowning them in its flux. In such a struggle --- all the time forced to run outward
and forward endlessly, both physically and mentally  --- if a man is asked to take a leap backwards, to dive within, it will be nothing
sort of a gymnastic feat. And telling such a totally shattered man about the Divine Awareness and the need for him to turn inwards
would be all but futile.

He would treat such information merely as a 'hallucination of human fancy and infantile idealism.' If he has to interest himself to take
a right-about-turn in his life, that is, to turn his conscious attention from his activities outward to introspection inward, he needs a good
cause.

What is that imminent cause?

contd.,

Arunachala Siva.         

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #97 on: February 13, 2013, 07:47:02 AM »
WHO AM I? - SIMPLE TEACHING OF THE GREAT MASTER:

continues......

Without further compelling him to involve himself yet again externally, in the name of spiritual disciplines, ethical codes,
ritualistic regulations, he should be smoothly but firmly made to turn within and exposed to the Truth that is his Being.
Bhagavan Sri Ramana Maharshi has opened up a Royal Path to attain this "diving within" in the easiest --- most direct and
simple way. To understand it clearly we will have to take up a microscopical view point, as till now we have been making only
general observations. That is, from our preoccupation with the 'human race' let us shit our attention to the 'individual'.

chapter concluded.

contd.,

Arunachala Siva.   

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #98 on: February 14, 2013, 08:45:48 AM »
PERFECTION:

The Spiritual Aroma of Self Discovery:

Bhagavan Sri Ramana Maharshi, as a young boy of sixteen experienced His own 'death' and survived it, confirming the Biblical
statement;  "By losing your life you gain it!"  Thus, without the interference of or clouding by even a vestige of thought, He
directly stood face to face with Reality, thereby getting established in the Truth Perennial. With that Supreme Spiritual Victory,
He reigned as Sovereign Monarch of Wisdom  Kingdom, for fifty four years!

This lad knew nothing of the contents of the Scriptures when He had that unique and total spiritual experience. Though, later,
when He was exposed to the very scriptural texts, He found them uniformly corroborating His own direct experience. As such,
one finds in His teachings His laying great emphasis on  logical clarity, directness, naturalness, lucidity, and one's own experience.
He also shunned all unnecessary theories and affirmed: "Truth is simple and ever present. One has only to turn within to experience it."

Though everyone says, 'I', 'I', yet strangely not many make an effort to know what exactly this "I" is or what is means. By 'I', usually
primarily we mean only the body, but on deeper analysis we mean by it the faculties of thinking, feeling and willing. We can easily
arrive at the conclusion that the body is not the 'I' since it is insentient. By insentience, we mean that the body is always the known
and never the knowing principle. Said the great Hindu sage,  Allamma Prabhu: "Know yourself without losing your awareness. If the
body be yourself, why do you say, 'My body'?  Everybody speaks of his possessions as 'my clothes, my gold' . Tell me if anyone ever
identifies himself saying 'I am the clothes or I am the gold'? You are mistaking a superimposition for a fact, when you take the body
to be your Self."

Then, what is this 'I'?

contd.,

Arunachala Siva.

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #99 on: February 15, 2013, 08:47:47 AM »

continues....

In the body, which is insentient, there arises a sense of alertness, a sensation of 'I'. It is termed 'mind'. Bhagavan Sri Ramana
says that if one investigates the nature of the mind, it is seen to be a bundle of thoughts. Mind is, therefore, a function wherein
the 'I' functions as the basis of all thoughts. Every thought is centered round the 'I', as in 'I think', 'I feel', 'I know' etc., Even when
the thought does not appear to be directly related to the 'I' as in 'They are coming', 'That is beautiful' and such thoughts which seem
to be purely about the 'other', 'I' is surely implied. Without the awareness of 'I', how can one think of anything or anyone else? Hence
the thought 'I' or the feeling 'I', the feeling of individuality, of being 'so and so' is the fulcrum around which all other thoughts revolve.
All other thoughts are dependent on the 'I' thought but the 'I' thought is independent of all other thoughts.  Because all other thoughts
come and go but the 'I' thought, as their very basis, is continuous.  Or so it seems, until on closer scrutiny one recognizes that the
'I' thought (or the feeling of being someone) also disappears.  That too daily !

When? In deep sleep. For, in deep sleep, one is not aware of oneself in the manner of waking and dreams. In fact, on waking, when
the sense of 'I' returns, one says, 'I know nothing. I slept very well.'  The first 'I know nothing' indicates that the sense of 'I' as we
know it is totally absent in deep sleep. However, 'I slept well' points to the fact that awareness was not broken even during sleep.
Otherwise, how could one record having slept well?  This brings the recognition that we exist even in the absence of the 'I' as we know
it during waking, which we call the 'I'-thought and which is the essence of the mind.  And this which exists even in the absence of 'I'
thought, must be our essential nature.

continued......

Arunachala Siva.                   

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #100 on: February 16, 2013, 08:59:26 AM »

continues....

This propels us to awake to the knowledge of the naked truth of Awareness which is hidden unattended within. For, it is
imperative to observe closely the 'I'-thought since it is the link between the body and the essential 'I' spoken of as hidden
within us by the scriptures. We must trace the 'I'-thought to its source, by paying full attention to it and whence it arises.

How to do so?

It is like this. When other thoughts arise we should bring back our attention to the 'I' thought. All the time one's attention
should unwaveringly be directed to the feeling of 'I' or the 'I' thought. If attention wavers to other thoughts, one should draw
it back to the 'I' remembering that these are only 'my thoughts'.  But, Who am 'I'?  Without knowing what the 'I' is, is it not
absurd to think of anything related to the 'I'?  Hence, attention would return to the inquiry Who am I? and remain fixedly on the
'I' in order to discover its nature.  This process must be repeated as often as often as attention moves away from the 'I'.

When one is probing into oneself, inquiring into the 'I' persistently by fixing attention only on the 'I' thought, it sinks into its
Source. One gets in direct touch with the inner Reality, the Self, the 'I'-'I'.  The measure of seriousness and one pointedness
with which one delves within to be the 'I AM', is also the measure of how rewarding it will be. To be oneself is not only the straight
path but also the easiest since you do not at all need any outer aid. As enjoined by Sri Maharshi, we can, therefore, conclude
that any act that directs or drives the outgoing mind inward to its Source, 'I', is spiritual and anything that drags the mind outward
engaged it in identity, is non spiritual.

contd.,

Arunachala Siva.           

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #101 on: February 17, 2013, 08:56:56 AM »

continues....

Bhagavan Ramana has opened a path to wake us all up to this Truth of Inner Felicity, which is going to reverberate through
the entire world. This path will stand the test of time, logical analysis and clinical practical application. Seekers of Truth will
hold on to it and thus keep the torch of Truth burning for all time to come.  Anyone can follow this silent, inward path of Sri
Ramana wherever they may be and in whatever walk of life they may be placed, not carried away by the challenges of complex
environment nor depending on them. Thus, this path of introspective Self Inquiry is an ever one path and anyone can tread it.
It is simple, direct and rationally supported by intuition and utterly free from any onward influence, be it religion or dogma. This
path, therefore is meant for practical businessmen, office-goers and factory workers, or professional men, no less than for those
who are monastic and ready to renounce the world. What makes Maharshi's method unique is that it is based on intuition
checked by reason, also, this pure reasoning is employed in the inquiry into the Self only by illumined intuition.

continued.....

Arunachala Siva.   

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #102 on: February 18, 2013, 08:44:32 AM »
The Spiritual Aroma of Self Inquiry:

So, to summarize, we shall quote Sri Ramana's own words:  "The state of non emergence of 'I' is the state of Pure Being, Pure
Awareness. ('Heart' is the word used by Him for this Pure Reality within us). This can be achieved only through inquiring
Who am I?.  Just as a man would dive in order to get something that had fallen in water, so one would dive into oneself with
a keen one-pointedness and find the place whence the 'I' originates. The only inquiry leading to Self Knowledge is seeking the
source of the feeling 'I'. If one inquires Who am I?, within, the individual 'I', the limited 'I' falls down abashed  as soon as one
reaches the Heart. Immediately Reality manifests itself spontaneously as 'I', 'I'. Although it reveals itself as 'I', it is not limited
'I' known to us, but the Perfect Being, the Eternal 'I', the Divine Essence in us. The Self, the Truth, that you seek to know is
thus verily yourself."

chapter concluded.             

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #103 on: February 19, 2013, 08:43:30 AM »
ONE'S TRUE ANCHORAGE - BODY, MIND OR THE SELF?

The uniqueness of Sri Ramana Maharshi's teachings is that though it is rooted in logic, couched in rational terms, it
is extraordinarily simple in its spiritual content.

All technical jargon, giving room for ambiguity and perplexity are totally avoided. The directness of its applicability in one's
daily life, irrespective of one's occupation in life, makes His teachings easily adaptable, unfettered by he conditions of class,
clime and religion. Thus, no one is excluded from its finale of spiritual perfection. Swami Vivekananda once said that the
spiritual seeker only needs encouragement in his pursuance of sadhana.  Seekers taking to the teachings of Sri Ramana
Maharshi are abundantly vouchsafed such encouragement as His guidance is readily available at every step one takes
towards the goal of Self Realization.

The term Self Enquiry or Atma Vichara is found in many of the ancient scriptures of India. In his great work Vivekachudamani,
Adi Sankara says that Liberation cannot be attained by any amount of action but only by Self Enquiry.

In Jnana Vasishta sage Vasishta proclaims, 'Shining in everybody as 'I','I' is nothing but the Self on which one has to meditate....
With the stick of enquiry strike the fierce looking mind and snake like senses and make them abide in Heart.'

Kaivalya Navaneeta declares: 'Enquiry alone can lead to the Knowledge revealed in the Vedas. Knowledge of Self cannot be
gained by study.'

Srimad Bhagavad Gita portends: 'Fix the mind firmly in the Self.'

continued......

Arunachala Siva.       

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #104 on: February 20, 2013, 08:52:51 AM »
ONE'S TRUE ANCHORAGE - BODY, MIND OR THE SELF?

continues.....

So when it is asked, 'When the Self Enquiry is already mentioned in scriptures, what new revelation has been made by
Sri Bhagavan?' The answer is easy and ready for those who have eyes to see and ears to hear.

Though Self Enquiry is mentioned in the scriptures, actual method of practicing it is not clearly given. The scriptures give clues,
it is true, such as, 'You are not the body, prana, mind etc., you are Brahman', but these clues do not emphasize how to put it
into practice.  Such meditation brings in again another activity of mind --- any act by the mind fetters oneself.  We start with
meditation but soon we find ourselves where we started!  Perhaps, noticing this constant riddle continuing in spite of existing
scriptural statements, the Supreme Reality which gave those scriptures, out of profound compassion for human race, has come
again in the comely form of Bhagavan Ramana, in order to give easier clues to find the Truth that can be readily understood,
practiced, and realized by the common man.

The uniqueness of Sri Bhagavan's teaching is that it is not within the framework of the mind.  In fact, Bhagavan is a great Master
who has  exclusively dealt with the realm, scope and ultimate futility of trying to be rid of  the shackles of the mind through mental
methods. When the mind itself is questioned, it will merge in its source, and a new dimension of functioning will come  about.

In the first benedictory verse of Ulladu Narpadu, by Sri Bhagavan Ramana, Sri Bhagavan points out the futility of meditation (in the
sense in which the term is generally understood) by asking: 'Since the Reality exists in the Heart, beyond thought, who can and how
to meditate upon Reality, which is called the Heart?' That is to say, if meditation is understood in its usual sense, namely a process
of thinking, no amount of meditation can enable one to know or realize, the Reality, which is beyond thought. For, how can any
amount of thought enable one to realize that which is beyond the range of thought?

How then is the Reality to be realized? The answer is given by Sri Bhagavan Himself in the remaining portion of the same verse.
'To abide in the Heart, as it IS, is truly meditating upon it.'  In other words, since the Reality is beyond thought, to abide without
thought as that Reality ever IS, is the only way to meditate upon It and realize It as it IS.  But how to abide thus without thought?

contd.,

Arunachala Siva.