Author Topic: Direct Teaching of Bhagavan Ramana:  (Read 34775 times)

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
Re: Direct Teaching of Bhagavan Ramana:
« Reply #75 on: January 24, 2013, 08:39:11 AM »
continues....

"To be" (the Self) is the easiest thing there is, since you have nothing to do but only simply to "BE" -- your eternal true nature.

To be 'this' ( a 'somebody') is, by its very dependence on mind and elements, a falsehood. Hence its pursuance always brings
untold misery for, in order to "be somebody", much mental and physical exertion is required, blocking us from our true nature,
through birth after birth.

Holding to the Truth, -- the ground, our true nature, -- is the easiest.

"No Mind" =  "TO BE".

Holding to untruth is painful for it brings about the cycle of births and deaths. Moreover, your efforts to escape from it by means
of any of the hundreds of methods of sadhana are equally painful and fruitless as they are based on mind. All sadhanas except
Atma Vichara, Self Enquiry, are mind oriented, says Sri Bhagavan.

Why not listen to the Master, Bhagavan Ramana, who says, "You are the Self" and "Self Knowledge is the easiest thing there is."

Why cling to our state of uncertainty and doubt, which is worse than poison, binding us as it does to the mind which forever asserts,
"It is impossible" .... which it is, for the mind.

Conflict is the essence of this impure mind. This deluded mind, thinking, it knows all, forces us to take the position of an "onlooker",
a position rooted in untruth.

"There are no others", affirms Sri Ramana. "There is only the Self."

"The answer to Who am I?" is the asking" he says.

YOU are the asking.

You are THAT.

You are the Self.

concluded.

Arunachala Siva.         

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #76 on: January 25, 2013, 08:59:24 AM »
WE ARE GOD:

'We are God (Iswara). Iswara Drishti (i.e. seeing ourselves as God) is itself Divine Grace. So we need Divine Grace to get God's
Grace.'  Maharshi smiles......

- Talk No.  29.

Maulana Mansur al-Hallaj of the Middle East was sent to the gallows by the Orthodoxy for saying, 'Ana'l Haqq' ( I am God). That
was in the 9th century A.D. Centuries earlier than that, two milliennia before now, a carpenter/s son of Nazareth in Israel, who said,
'I and my Father are one'  and " I am the Truth' was nailed to the Cross at the instance of Orthodoxy. A few centuries before the
Good Shepherd was thus eaten up by bad wolves of Orthodoxy, an Athenian sculptor turned philosopher called Socrates was made
to drink a deadly cup of hemlock for 'heinous crime' of telling Athenians 'Gnothi Seauton' - Know Thyself.

Mansur, Jesus, and Socrates were all men of Truth, true God-men. What they said was nothing but the Truth . Yet, why were they
killed by their fellowmen? Mind you, their killers were all religious people, not non believers.

The killers believed that God is out there, up there, beyond there, not within. They thought, as men still do, that men and women
with their bodies and minds, were different from one another and that God ruled over their destinies. Mansur, Jesus, and Socrates,
on the contrary, had lost their individuality and found the everlasting, limitless, luminous Truth - God - within them, called by them variously as Haq, Allah, Eli and so on. When they said 'I' they meant the one Universal Self, within each being where to their killers
'I' was no more than the person uttering that word.

continued....

Arunachala Siva.

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #77 on: January 26, 2013, 10:23:27 AM »
WE ARE GOD:

continues......

Even in this country, where the Mahavakyas like "I am Brahman",  "You are That (Brahman)" etc., were given to men thousands
of years ago, there has been a long philosophical feud between those who said that the individual soul is God, Absolute Itself,
and those who said, 'No, they are two different things; the jiva (individual) is just an aspect of God, the personal God, and the
part cannot hold the Whole.'

Bhagavan Ramana, in His benedictory verse to His Tamizh translation of Acharya Sankara's Atma Bodha said: "Can Sankara,
the Enlightener of the Self, be different from one's own Self? Who but He does this day, abiding as the inmost Self in one, speak
this in the Tamizh language?"  It would, therefore, not be proper to speak of Bhagavan Ramana and Acharya Sankara, or, for that
matter, Mansur, Jesus, Socrates, Buddha, and other Self realized Beings as different beings; they are the same Self manifesting in
various ways at various times.

However, the manifestation of the Self as Bhagavan Ramana, was one of perfect Silence and Stillness. Sri Ramana  made no
assertions and never preached nor discoursed. He was a Hill of Peace and Stillness. Clad in a loincloth and, in the early years,
His hair unkempt, and nails uncut, He was immersed in the Self.

continued......

Arunachala Siva.     

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #78 on: January 27, 2013, 10:00:16 AM »
WE ARE GOD:

continues.....

He had no need to instruct much less reform people because, to His illumined eyes, the world was Brahman and everyone was That
only. Yet, people, both the learned and the unlearned revered Him as a Swami, a sage. One day a man of great asceticism, of monumental Sanskrit scriptural scholarship and matchless poetic skill, came, saw the young boy, and was conquered, and bade His students refer to
the sage thenceforth as BHAGAVAN SRI RAMANA MAHARSHI. How did the Mahakavi, the great poet, recognize Sri Ramana as Maharshi, the great seer, as Bhagavan, (the Divine One, the Blessed One)? Ganapati Muni, for that was his name, said, "Thanks to God-given knowledge'! 

During the fifty four years of Bhagavan Ramana Maharshi's silent spiritual reign from Arunachala, countless seekers of Wisdom came to Him from far and near. They had only to spend a brief while in His Presence before they realized that here was Being totally devoid of body consciousness and ego, and here  was truly Bhagavan, the Divine One.

Sri Ramana did not proclaim 'I am God' or 'I am Brahman'. The truth stuck out a thousand miles literally. What is more, in His Presence, one lost one's individuality and understood one's unity with all beings. When one saw that Sri Bhagavan not merely showed equality and fraternity with men and women, birds, goats, cows, monkeys, deer, dogs, snakes and so on, but was in total indivisible oneness with them, one spontaneously felt the divinity of every living thing, including plants and trees.

continued.......

Arunachala Siva.                 

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #79 on: January 28, 2013, 08:21:19 AM »
WE ARE GOD:

continues.......

Kunju Swami, an old Asramite, often used to say, that while an Avatara is not necessarily a total manifestation of the Self, a
Stitha prajna like Sri Bhagavan is. Actually, Sri Bhagavan said that since the Self is ever is, where is the question of avatarana
or descent. Sri Ramana whom Sri Aurobindo once referred to as a 'spiritual colossus', did not move among men as an awesome
Superior Being, not even as a first among equals, but as a Pure Non dual Essence. There were not two of any kind for Sri Bhagavan.
The Guru and the disciples, men and women, jnani and ajnani, the good and the bad, man and beast were all the One Self for Him.
Indeed, 'We are That'. The plural We vanishes into the singular, non dual That. Nan udiyadu ulla nilai nam aduvai ulla nilai (The State
in which 'I' does not arise in the State in which We Are That. - Ulladu Narpadu, Verse 27.

The idea of God (Iswara, Yahweh or Jehovah, Allah, Ahura Mazda and so on) has obsessed men since milllennia. A Western thinker,
when asked what, according to him, was the greatest human invention, said, 'God. Voltaire, the French savant and satirist par excellence, said if God did not exist, it would be necessary to invent him. Of Immanuel Kant, the German philosopher, it is said, that in
one book he denied God, in a second he affirmed God and in a third, The Critique of Judgement he found him! Another German philosopher, Friedrich Nietzche, declared God is dead. When someone knocked at the door of the Sufi Saint Bayazid and asked, 'Is
Bayazid there?', the saint answered 'Is anybody here except God?' Gandhiji who kept saying 'God is Truth' later started saying Truth
is God. On his returning to earth, the first Soviet Cosmonaut said that he could not find God anywhere in space, When St. John of the
Cross of Spain came out after serving a term in prison, he said, 'When I was in prison, I was so intoxicated with God that when I came
out I could not see anything except Him, everywhere!'

continued......

Arunachala Siva.                         

Jewell

• Love,always love and only love
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: January 28, 2013, 10:54:33 AM »
Dear Sri Subramanian sir,

Thank You Very much for sharing these wonderful words!

With love and prayers,

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #81 on: January 29, 2013, 08:13:50 AM »
WE ARE GOD:

So, there have been in every country believers in God, non believers, and agnostics who neither believed nor disbelieved.
There are those who find God everywhere, those who find Him only in places of worship, and other we do not see Him anywhere!

'Awakening' is Godhood. An awakened man realizes that his Consciousness is God. The disorder that exists in our sleepy, dreamy
lives vanishes when we wake up and find our true identity.

Bhagavan Ramana says that our so called wakeful state is a dream, only it is a long dream.

The Jnani, the awakened, Self Realized one says:

"I slept and dreamt that the world was real.
I woke and found that the world is a dream, the Self is real."

He also found, " I am Brahman", or 'Sivoham' (I am Siva), or 'Ana'l Haqq' or even better as Bhagavan pointed out, " I AM".

What a beautiful word the Hebrew language has for God. "Yahweh" which means "I AM". Jehovah is the anglicized form of the word
Yahweh. Sri Ramana said that the Old Testament's I AM that I AM is even better than "Aham Brahmasmi" ( I am Brahman) as a
description of the Self.

Why do men live in oblivion of their divine identity. Why do they gape in disbelief when told "I AM GOD". "You Are God,"  "We Are
God"? Or when told that the world is an illusion and the Self is Real?

Why do men live in sorrow and conflict? Why do men behave like little, limited creatures of circumstances? Why is the human
family divided by ever so many walls between man and man? Is Self Realization within every man's reach or is it only for the
chosen few?

continued.....

Arunachala Siva.

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #82 on: January 30, 2013, 08:16:00 AM »
WE ARE GOD:

Not only these but a thousand other questions are answered by Bhagavan Ramana mostly in Silence and at times in a few
chosen worlds.  Those who make a careful study of His printed works will find the whole riddle of life and death solved for them.

Sri Bhagavan always says, 'Know yourself first. What kind of knowledge is the knowledge of diverse things when the Self that
is true Knowledge remains unknown?'  He often asked the questioner: 'Who asks the question?' That turned the questioner
inwards. Many realized in Sri Bhagavan's presence that he is the core of one's being and that he dwells in one's Heart.

'Turn inward', 'Be;. The Sadguru in human form pushed you inward and when you really, wholly turn inward, the Sadguru who is
ever present in everyone as the Self, takes you over from within. "Be the Self."

One is Self. One is Chit, Pure Consciousness. One is God because the pure Consciousness is limitless, eternal, all pervasive, non
dual, and is perfect Bliss and Peace. In Bhagavan Ramana, the external and internal Guru are one. If seeing the Self is seeing God,
seeing Sri Ramana, is to be the Self. So instant is the transmission!

There is nothing higher or more sacred than the Pure Consciousness and nothing is apart from it. There is no God other than It.
Self Realization is that State in which one has the plenary experience of one's own nature, one's Chit Swarupa,  which is 'without
beginning and end. It is unbroken Awareness-Bliss. ---- Upadesa Undiyar Verse 28.

continued.....

Arunachala Siva.     

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #83 on: January 30, 2013, 07:43:15 PM »
Quote from Sri Subramanian Sir:
“WE ARE GOD:

Not only these but a thousand other questions are answered by Bhagavan Ramana mostly in Silence and at times in a few
chosen worlds. Those who make a careful study of His printed works will find the whole riddle of life and death solved for them.”

Dear Sri Subramanian Sir,

This is a very nice post. If one makes a careful study of Sri Bhagwan’s Works, and follows His Teaching with Faith in It and love for Him in the heart, one is certain to be graced. If one is able to do it, there will be no room for doubt, for the doubter himself will be sure dealt a fatal blow and consumed in the Self that He is.

Dear sir, I wish to respond to some of your posts in different threads. But for some more time I would not be able to this because His Grace keeps me engaged in hectic activities in the office as well as at home.  I do not understand why so because my attention remains riveted to Him who is simultaneously outside and inside.

Thanks very much, sir.
Pranam,
  Anil

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #84 on: January 31, 2013, 08:28:46 AM »
WE ARE GOD:

continues....

Sri Bhagavan taught this Truth by being the Self. His words, both written and spoken, have tremendous power and beauty,
while His Silence is unfathomable. He is verily the eternal Silent Teacher!  One realized in His Presence, sooner or later, that
to know God, we have to be God and God we are.  Now and for ever!  What separates us from our Godhood is our individuality,
our ego, which is a 'phantom', a myth.

"In the realm of Reality, God and man are one and the same. Any difference felt (of separation) is but gross ignorance."

"Ridding oneself of this ignorance is to realize the Truth that one is none other than God, who throbs (from within) as I AM."
Upadesa Undiyar, Verse 24 and 25.

What is never is not. When a devotee asked Him how to know the power of God, He said:

"You say "I AM". That is it. What else can say "I AM"? One's own being is His Power. The trouble arises only when one says, 'I am
this or I am that, such and such. Do not do it. Be Yourself. That is all."

- Talks No. 478.

The whole teaching of Bhagavan Ramana can be distilled in the words "BE", "Abide as the Self". We are the Self which is Sat,
Atma, Brahman, God.

The killers of Mansur, Jesus, Socrates, Gandhi and other men of God. But they killed the body, not the Self. The body never was.
The Self ever is.

According to an Eastern legend, "Man lifted that veil from the Goddess of Sais and saw --- himself." Sri Bhagavan lifts the veil from
man and shows him to be God!

concluded.

Arunachala Siva.         

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #85 on: February 01, 2013, 08:43:50 AM »
PRESENCE:

Teacher is the Teaching:

I have had the great opportunity and proud privilege of spending thirty five years with forty to fifty old devotees of Sri
Ramana Maharshi and also with many sages and saints. The one thing that they all taught me, as if in one voice, was
that the 'teacher' is the 'teaching'. And that the 'teaching' is all important.  Paying attention to the 'teaching' is not the same
as paying attention to the person, the 'teacher'.  Therefore, 'seekers' attention should be on the 'teaching' and putting it
into practice alone. For, the 'teaching' is the 'teacher'.  Out of ignorance one takes the 'teacher' to be merely the body. The
idea of 'different' or 'many' teachers comes up only because of this basic ignorance in one's right understanding. These old
devotees ever lived the 'teaching' of Sri Ramana. Thus, they were ever happy and they always made every listener happy.
When one lives the teaching oneself, the aroma of the 'teaching' will help all the listeners. The highest and greatest gratitude one
can pay to a 'teacher' is to put into one's own life the practice of his 'teaching'!

The word GURU in Sanskrit mans the dispeller of darkness. GU is darkness -- dense darkness --- and RU means the dispeller, the
remover. So, "'GURU"  is one who removes the darkness. What is the thickest and densest darkness?

The darkness one finds outside oneself is not the densest. The darkness that is within oneself is the most dense, insurmountably
thick!  Such inward darkness is "ignorance"   Ignorance of what? Of one's own Truth, the Self. This is the densest ignorance.
It is the ignorance of taking oneself to be only the body, only the mind.  And forgetting that one is ever he Self, the only Truth!
To remove this ignorance or to get out of this inner ignorance by oneself is very difficult, because it cannot be done by any known
means, like reading scriptures, observing austerities, resorting to religious practices. It seems almost impossible!

continued......

Arunachala Siva.     

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #86 on: February 02, 2013, 10:18:03 AM »
Teacher is the Teaching:

But the very thing which appears impossible becomes very easy when one goes to a teacher, a true master, a Sadguru. In his
presence, the impossibility becomes the easiest!  How? Remember the 'teacher' is the 'teaching', then literally one is in the presence
of the 'teacher'.  Putting into practice the 'teaching', enables the apparently impossible hurdle becoming the easiest aid!  The Guru
is all compassion. His sole concern is to remove the dense darkness -- moola avidya --- from the seeker. Thus, when one is in the
presence of the Guru, which actually means putting his upadesa into practice, one's ignorance is removed!

'Guru' or 'Master' is not a status, position, like the President or Prime Minister of a country. It is not even a state. It is the Truth
itself. Guru is the Self, the Truth. That is, one's own Self is the real Guru. When one goes to an outer Guru, the only teaching he will
give is to awaken the 'inner Guru' in one's Heart. The 'Guru' being the Truth, for him, there exists no untruth! For the Sun there is no
darkness. Poets, the onlookers, might say that when the Sun rises it drives away its money, the darkness. But, truly, for the Sun
there exists no darkness. Darkness is an unknown factor for the Sun!  Likewise, the Guru being wholly the Truth, and nothing but
the Truth, how can untruth, the ignorance, the darkness, exist in his presence?  The "Guru without",  invokes the 'Guru within'.

Therefore, for the 'Guru within' too, there exists no ignorance at all!  Arduously following his teaching, (invoking the 'Guru within')
in one's daily life, enables one experientially to realize that there is no ignorance at all, no darkness at all!  Whatever exists,
exists only as Fullness. And one is never away from this Wholeness!  Only one has to wake up to this Truth!

contd.,

Arunachala Siva.

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #87 on: February 03, 2013, 08:35:30 AM »
TEACHER IS THE TEACHING:

continues....

Adhering strictly to the 'teaching' alone is true adoration of the 'teacher', in all splendor and in an all-round way!
For, the 'teaching' is the 'teacher'.

It is, perhaps, easier to understand the above, in the light of the following revealing anecdotes:

Mrs. Roda McIver was a devout Parsee devotee of Sri Ramana Maharshi, residing in the vicinity of Sri Ramanasramam all her life.
For years, she was nurturing within herself the one-too impossible prayer of putting her head on the sacred feet of the Sadguru,
Bhagavan Sri Ramana. The rules of the Asramam, however, strictly prohibited anyone touching the Maharshi's feet!  Thus she wanted to
accomplish her cherished wish when the Maharshi was all alone. Fortunately for her, one day after breakfast, the Maharshi was
waling alone through a small room and Roda rushed to Him and was about to fall at His feet. The Maharshi gesticulated inquiring
what she wanted. She said: "Bhagavan!  My life's one prayerful ambition is to put my head at the sacred feet of my Sadguru Sri Ramana. Please permit me and thus bless me, Bhagavan!"

The Maharshi, coming closer to her and pointing to His feet said,"Roda! Are these feet of the Sadguru? The Sadguru's feet are ever
here (pointing to her Heart)! Merge your mind in the Heart; and. truly that is putting your head at the feet of your Saduguru!"

The central teaching of the Maharshi is that one's divisive mind has to be merged at its source, the Self. And, that the Self resides
at one's Heart. He also said that God, Guru, and the Self are synonymous. Thus, the Guru, as the Self, ever shines as one's Heart.
And therefore, Guru's holy feet too are none other than one's own Heart!  This is clearly brings out the Truth. 'The Teaching is the
Teacher.'

contd.,

Arunachala Siva. 

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #88 on: February 04, 2013, 08:40:16 AM »
Teacher is the Teaching:

continues......

Sri Nisargadatta Maharaj, while expounding teachings of non duality, never swerved away from  being himself in the state of
"I AM"- Awareness. Thus, all the time he advocated the validity and truth of this highest spiritual state of wholeness, by himself
remaining there ever in that state! 

It is also equally important to note that daily in the morning, he was doing ritualistic worship - puja - to the portraits of his
Guru, his Guru's Guru, and his Guru's Guru's Guru!

Noticing this apparent dichotomy, a Western devotee questioned the Maharaj:  Maharaj! You are the unique Saint who teaches
Advaita in its purest essence and in the most uncompromising manner too. However, your dong the ritual of puja to your Gurus
and Gods surprises me!  Your teaching of 'there is Oneness alone' and also doing this dualistic worship is most contradictory!
Will you please explain it?

Sri Nisargadatta Maharaj, with a smile, said (pointing to his Heart): Here, there is no contradiction. The contradiction is in your mind!
The non dual state of Wholeness is none other than the inner Guru.  The outer Guru too, in all Wholeness alone, is being extolled,
adored and worshipped!  Where is the contradiction? The teaching and the teacher are one and the same!

chapter - concluded.

Arunachala Siva.

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #89 on: February 05, 2013, 08:15:58 AM »
PROGRESS:

For Whom are the Teaching and the Teacher?

Mrs. Roda McIver, a long standing Parsee lady devotee of Sri Bhagavan, once brought her friend from Bombay and while
introducing the friend to Him, (Bhagavan), said, 'My friend has take as his Guru a man who is not even a  Sadhu. I brought
him here so that he would give up this guru and follow you. Bhagavan, please make him do so.'

Sri Bhagavan replied sternly: Who are you to say who is the right guru for him? By what power can you make out what a man
really is? And, are you sure that the guru counts so much?  All depends on the disciple. Even if you worship a stone with great
devotion, it will be seen as God.

In India, all through the ages, there has never been a dearth of genuine teachings, or for that matter, any lack of compassionate
Teachers. We are thus proud to possess the most authentic collection of teachings in the form of Vedas, Upanishads, Epics, and
Puranas. Especially, the Bhagavad Gita is recognized as the spiritual treatise par excellence, all over the world. Like wise, in
addition to the glory of the Vedic rishis of yore, sages and saints continue to adorn Punya Bharat, century after century.

Our tradition has thus always been proud to uphold the importance of the teachings and the teachers. As such, it has handed
over to man the gift, as it were, a Golden Chain of Eternity, made up of perennial truths of God, World, Scriptures, Guru, Teachings,
Wholeness, Oneness, Fullness, Freedom, Release, Moksha; and encouraged him to own it himself.

continued....

Arunachala Siva.