Author Topic: Direct Teaching of Bhagavan Ramana:  (Read 31531 times)

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
Re: Direct Teaching of Bhagavan Ramana:
« Reply #45 on: December 28, 2012, 02:45:47 PM »
BLOSSOMS OF BLESSINGS:

Part III - continues.....

Devotee: It is said that the Guru can make his disciple realize the Self by transmitting some of his own power to him?
Is it true?

Maharshi: Yes. The Guru does not bring about Self Realization. He simply removes the obstacles to it. The Self is always
realized.

Devotee: Is there absolute necessity of a Guru for Self Realization?

Maharshi: So long as you seek Self Realization, the Guru is necessary. Guru is the Self. Take Guru to be the Real Self and your
self as the individual self. The disappearance of this sensed of duality is removal of ignorance. So long as the duality persists
in you, the Guru is necessary. Because you identify yourself with the body you think the Guru too to be of some body. You are
not the body, nor is the Guru. You are the Self and so is the Guru. This knowledge is gained by what you call Self Realization.

Devotee: How can one know whether a particular individual is competent to be a Guru?

Maharshi: By the peace of mind found in his presence and by the sense of respect you feel for him.

Talk No. 282.

Arunachala Siva.   

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: December 29, 2012, 10:25:30 AM »
Devotee: The Heart is said to be on the right, on the left or in the center. With such differences of opinion how are we to
meditate on Hridaya?

Maharshi: You are and it is a fact. Dhyana is by you, of you, and in you. It must go on where you are. It cannot be outside
you. So you are the center of dhyana and that is the Heart. A location is however given to it with reference to the body.
You know that you are. Where are you? You are in the body and not out of it. Yet not the whole body. Though you pervade the
whole body, still you admit of a center where from all your thoughts start and wherein they subside. Even when the limbs are
amputated you are there but with defective senses. So a center must be admitted. That is called the Heart. The Heart is not merely
the center but the Self. Heart is only another name for the Self.

Doubts arise only when you identify it with something tangible and  physical. The scriptures no doubt describe it as the source
of 101 nadis etc., In Yoga Vasishta, Chudala says that kundalini is composed of 101 nadis, thus identifying one with the other.

Heart is no conception. No object for meditation. But it is the seat of meditation. The Self remains all alone. You see the body in
the Heart, the world in it. There is nothing separate from it. So, all kinds of effort are located there only.

- Talk No, 403.

Arunachala Siva.       

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: December 30, 2012, 10:00:51 AM »
Blossoms of Blessings:

Part III:

Devotee: What is the best thing to do for ensuring the future?

Maharshi: Take care of the present, the future will take care of itself.

Devotee: The future is the result of the present. So, what should I do to make it good? Or should I keep still?

Maharshi: Whose is the doubt? Who is it that wants a course of action?  Find the doubter. If you hold the doubter
the doubts will disappear. Having lost hold of the Self the thoughts afflict you, the world is seen, doubts arise, also
the anxiety for the future.  Hold fast to the Self, these will disappear.

- Talk No. 240.

Devotee: What is sphurana (shining)?

Maharshi: Aham, Aham - is the Self. Aham idam. 'I am this' or 'I am that' is the ego. Shining is there always. The ego is transitory.
When the 'I' is kept up as 'I' alone, it is the Self. When it flies at a tangent and says, 'this', it is the ego.

- Talk No. 363.

Blossoms of Blessings - concluded.

Arunachala Siva. 

sanjaya_ganesh

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: December 30, 2012, 12:20:42 PM »
:) I cant believe people went to Maharishi and asked questions like these - "What is the best thing to do for ensuring the future?", "The Heart is said to be on the right, on the left or in the center. With such differences of opinion how are we to meditate on Hridaya?"

How does these all matter - when all you have to do is to find who is asking and wanting answers to these? I can only compare Maharishi;s patience with one thing - NATURE herself, the great maha maya. How patiently he answers even such questions, just like mother nature (maha maya) acts. Of course, Maha Maya is nothing but Maharishee's shakthi.

Sanjay
Salutations to Bhagawan

atmavichar100

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: December 30, 2012, 12:37:15 PM »
:) I cant believe people went to Maharishi and asked questions like these - "What is the best thing to do for ensuring the future?", "The Heart is said to be on the right, on the left or in the center. With such differences of opinion how are we to meditate on Hridaya?"

How does these all matter - when all you have to do is to find who is asking and wanting answers to these? I can only compare Maharishi;s patience with one thing - NATURE herself, the great maha maya. How patiently he answers even such questions[/b]]How patiently he answers even such questions, just like mother nature (maha maya) acts. Of course, Maha Maya is nothing but Maharishee's shakthi.

Sanjay

It is very important to have a clear mind .Only a clear mind can understand what is right or wrong and perform right action .Even God or Gurus words are completely misunderstood if the mind is not clear .Hence a clear mind is very important for correct Sadhana - Mathru Sarada ( on her New Year 2012 Message )
However many holy words you read, however many you speak, what good will they do you if you do not act on upon them? - Buddha

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #50 on: December 30, 2012, 12:53:10 PM »
dear atmavichar100,

Sri Bhagavan is known for His phenomenal patience. Any answer from Him will revolve only around: Find out who you are?
Find out who is the doubter?  People have asked questions as to when their daughters' marriages would take place!
Sri Bhagavan had answered those questions too.   

Arunachala Siva.

atmavichar100

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: December 30, 2012, 01:35:59 PM »
dear atmavichar100,

Sri Bhagavan is known for His phenomenal patience. Any answer from Him will revolve only around: Find out who you are?
Find out who is the doubter?  People have asked questions as to when their daughters' marriages would take place!
Sri Bhagavan had answered those questions too.   

Arunachala Siva.

Yes Bhagwan's Brahma Astra was always this "Enquire the enquirer" .
However many holy words you read, however many you speak, what good will they do you if you do not act on upon them? - Buddha

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: December 31, 2012, 10:30:50 AM »
Simply Be Aware:

Why do we go to listen to someone? Why do we read books? Is it because of the hope that the speaker or writer will
convey something new to us? Novelty is a trap!

'Navo navo bhavati' say the Vedas, of Reality. 'It is new, ever new.' Maharshi while extolling this statement, pointed out
that the conception of 'new' presumes the concept of 'old'. Thus Maharshi explained  that navo-navo means 'fresh, ever fresh.'
Reality is always fresh, like a rose in bloom. Freshness is the essence of Reality. 'Behold, I make all things new', says the Biblical
God.

Sri Bhagavan says that the Supreme Sage is ever born and daily renewed. Association (satsnagh) with such beings, helps us
not to acquire something new but to rediscover this eternal freshness. This is the importance and liveliness of satsanghs.
We visit saints, we feel the freshness, we perceive the living embodiment of the saying, 'navo navo bhavati.'

Every saint and (why not?) each one of us lives this life of freshness. Only, we are not aware of it. When one lives life in the
freshness of every moment, -- that is the spiritual life. Not following a technique or a pattern.  Not stopping or arriving at a conclusion.
But endless, conscious, moment to moment living.

The one striking quality one observes in saints and sages is that they are always fresh. One may go to them with a problem, and
when one leaves them, the problem may or may not have been solved., But one leaves inspired with a sense of renewal.

contd.

Arunachala Siva.   

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: January 01, 2013, 10:21:43 AM »
Simply Be Aware:

continues.....

'We are the light of the world', says Jesus. He also says, 'Be a light unto yourselves.' One is told that 'light', which means radiance,
also means  'not heavy'. So, be a light and be a light. Comparisons and contrasts, agreements and contradictions, all hear and no
light? Is this the Vidya or Knowledge which leads to Vimukti or Freedom?

Bhagavan Ramana says, 'Know that in the minds of the learned here, there are not one but many families consisting of books
and these form obstacles to their spiritual progress.' To a close disciple who wanted to leave the Asramam, acquire Vedantic
learning and return. He said, 'There is no end to this, but if you abide in your Self, the answer to any question will rebound like
an echo from within your heart.'

Abide in the Self. Be yourself. To be oneself is to know oneself and vice versa.

Bhagavan Ramana repeatedly asks us to cast away, sweep away rather than add, acquire and accumulate. Not to become
anybody but to BE yourself. He is indeed the Supreme Prophet of Being.

So, to be oneself is to be ever fresh, to be ever reborn. To be still in the repose of one's heart is the acme of creativity.

Maharshi would tell us not to make any effort to give up imperfections or unreality. If you affirm the positive, the negatives
will drop off by themselves.

What is the negative? Once, the Maharshi said, 'If there is no God within you, be assured there is no God outside you.
If there is no Truth within you, there is no Truth outside you.' That is the negative - concept of Truth as outside of you.
The truth that is within you, nobody can take away from you. That is the positive. We are always dealing with names and forms,
and from accumulated knowledge the mind projects a concept of truth. As Maharshi said, 'Names and Forms are like the film
projected on a white screen.' You are the white screen. You are not a concept. This, that you are reading is immaterial. The living
principle, the one who is reading it is the Truth.

contd.,

Arunachala Siva.             

Jewell

• Love,always love and only love
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: January 01, 2013, 08:00:53 PM »
Dear Sri Subramanian Sir, Wonderful words! Yes,whatever we learn,aknowledge,will be in thoughts only,making us come only deeper to concept world. And we are That constant factor,that solid backround of all thoughts,all experiences. Summa Iru,just Be. Thank You sir! With love and prayers,

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: January 02, 2013, 09:20:53 AM »
Simply Be Aware:

continues.....

Somebody asked Maharshi, "Is it not hypnotism that you are talking about?" He laughed and replied: "You are already
hypnotized that you are the body, that you must make an effort to reach somewhere.  What I am telling you is to de-
hypnotize yourself from all these concepts."

Are we prepared to dehypnotize ourselves? Somebody remarked, looking at Maharshi, seated on a comfortable couch,
stretching Himself on it with ease: "Nothing is difficult for you! You are so comfortably seated there and enjoying your
life!" Maharshi smiled and said,"Come on, sit down for a few minutes, without any thought, without any movement."
Not even for a few seconds could the devotee do so!

We make so much effort to improve, to change our lives, to live happily. Have we paid any attention to life itself? Pay a
little attention to that which sees all. Instead of paying attention to what is being done, pay attention to the doer/ Instead
of emphasizing what you see, what you hear, shift your emphasis to the seer, the hearer. "The Kingdom of Heaven is within
you."

Yet, we seem to prefer to gather words, words which merely yield verbal clarity. Maharshi portrayed this predicament with
a telling illustration. A thief, to catch the thief, turns himself into a policeman to catch the thief who is himself. Will the mind
pave the way for its own destruction?

Someone asked Maharshi, "If we remain in that state, how can we attend to worldly activity?" Maharshi replied, "With an
imperfect, diluted mind, you claim to have accomplished so much. But that very mind gets its light from the Self only.  Just
as all living beings get energy from the Sun, this thinking process gets its energy from the Self. If borrowed glory can achieve
so much, is it difficult to conceive that with the Source Energy you would be better equipped?

Paul Brunton asked Maharshi: "Maharshi, you are in a jungle ashram. It is alright. There are no problems here, no crowd, nothing,
But I have to go back to London, the thick of London, the thick of New York. What can I do?" Maharshi smiled and replied: "Who
says this? That the jungle Ashram is free from problems, and the thick of London or the thick of New York is full of problems, who
says so?" It is Brunton's mind. So where is the problem?

Though the first glimpse of Maharshi put Brunton into the state of no-thought, his mind returned in full force. He was saying, "I have
to work. How can I work if I practice this?" Maharshi said, "There is no contradiction between work and wisdom."

Who works? Who meditates? It is myself. I am working. I am meditating. I am in that state. Remove work, meditation, contemplation,
and what remains?  I AM. Why pay so much attention to work, meditation, and so on? Why not abide as I AM? Simply be aware.

CONCLUDED.

Arunachala Siva.                         

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #56 on: January 03, 2013, 10:35:25 AM »
Dedicate Yourself to Pursuit of Self Enquiry:

The magic quest 'Know Thyself', popularly attributed to Socrates, has gripped the attention of the greatest seers, sages and thinkers
of all ages. It is the essential experience welling up from the hearts of yearning souls belonging to every country of the world. In
giving expression to it, the terminologies, the words and the languages may differ, but the essence in its content, is the same.

The command of Vedanta is Atmaanaam Viddhi -- Know the Self. In fact, this experiential dictum is the backbone of all eastern
religions, though it is true that the essence of this dictum is too fundamental to be classified under any philosophy, or thinker or
age. That is, 'knowing the knower' is the aim of all spiritual striving, in all ages and of all religions. Not to know the knower and yet
to know all else is termed as 'total ignorance' - moola avidya. Hence, very great importance is given to knowing the Self. 'Know
Thyself' is the same as 'Know who you are'. Enquiring 'Who am I?' or seeking 'Whence am I?' is the direct means. This quest is
the fundamental teaching of Sri Bhagavan Ramana Maharshi.

'Simple Being is the Self', said the Maharshi. This being is Consciousness. The very living principle of each one of us is this
Consciousness. Any form of awareness is embedded only in this vast expanse of Consciousness. The triple principle dominating
man's activities, called 'triputi' comprising the knower, the object known and the act of knowing, occurs only in Consciousness.
Experiences are classified into avastha thraya -- the waking, the dreaming and the deep sleep states - which also takes place
only in Consciousness. Likewise, the pairs of opposites, called dwandhva, like right and wrong, good and bad, day and night,
or concepts like being and non being, get exposed only in the backdrop of Consciousness.

contd.,

Arunachala Siva.             

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #57 on: January 04, 2013, 08:53:35 AM »
Dedicate Yourself to Pursuit of Self Enquiry:

continues....

Thus, Consciousness is the ground or screen on which the play of the triputi, avastha thraya, and dhwandhav is enacted
endlessly. While one is aware constantly and gets involved deeply in this drama, the basis or stratum on which the play
takes place is totally forgotten.

'By whom?'

To turn one's attention from the details or activities to the source of activity is called 'introspection'. This turning inward is
the beginning of spiritual effort called sadhana. Taking a right about turn from the triputi, avastha thraya and dhwadhva
to the Chit (Total Consciousness) is the positive key to open the gates to 'Know Oneself.' Becoming conscious of or aware
of something else brings in the triputi, avastha thraya and dhwandhva. But Pure Consciousness is Pure Awareness per se.
It is the basis for all motion, while remaining motionless - unaffected by any such  movements.

Perhaps an analogy will help us understand Consciousness as our basis.

Electricity flows through a wire. It is invisible and intangible. When an electric bulb is connected to that wire, the lamp is lit.
The color of the bulb determines the color of the light. When flowing through a fan, the current makes fan rotate. Connected
to a pump, it lifts water. The current flowing in all these cases is one and the same. But its effects are different. Similarly, when
the pure light of Consciousness passes through different physical, emotional, mental and ego ventures, it looks as though it
is limiting itself by taking the color and texture of that particular vesture.  Since the bulb, fan and pump are visible to the eye,
and not electricity their utility aspects engage one's attention and root or cause -- the electricity - being ignored. Likewise, man's
activities ensnare him and make him forget his very nature as Consciousness.

continued....

Arunachala Siva.           

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #58 on: January 05, 2013, 12:53:58 PM »
Simply Be Aware:

continues......

When Consciousness is confined to an individual or the body, it gets clouded by this manifestation, resulting in the ego, drawing
boundaries on the Self with reference to the manifestation and mistaking this to be the Self.

Ego has no existence apart from the Self, like the gold ornaments having no existence apart from gold. But, the Self exists always.
Ego is only a shadow of the Self.  It catches hold of a body and through it, projects itself as the Self. Thus ego thrives in the
multiplicities as a conscious perceiver and enjoyer of the world. It hops from one form to another,  since no form is permanent.
Such movement of the transient is called the cycle of births and deaths. This limitation is technically termed as samsara. Freedom
from such bondage is called Moksha, re-establishment in total Consciousness.

Abidance as Pure Consciousness is the ultimate goal of human life -- the release from ego!

How to effect it?

Through Atma Vichara, Self Enquiry, release from the bonds of ego is gained. This is the process of Who am I? - enquiry,'  the
technique to Know Oneself. The bondage is the ego. The bondage is for the ego. Consciousness, conditioning or identifying
itself with a body is this ego. The ego exists, say the scriptures, due to non enquiry. -- avichara. This avichara is sustained
and strengthened by avidya - ignorance. Consciousness is Pure attention alone., When attention is held unmoved, there is no
place for ego or non-attention. To hold the attention on itself, to dissolve or transform non attention into Total Attention, Total
Consciousness, the quest Who am I? is the vital process.

continued......

Arunachala Siva.       

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #59 on: January 06, 2013, 01:57:57 PM »
SIMPLY BE AWARE:

continues.....

To turn one's attention on oneself is the essence of true knowledge. Such Self attention is the key to open the mystery gates
to the immeasurable treasure: Knowing the Knower! The Knower known, there is none else, nothing else to be known.  To remain
as Pure Consciousness is the secret and meaning of Know Thyself.

Bhagavan Ramana put it all in a sutra aphorisms. He summarized the whole process into four pregnant words. deham, naham, koham,
soham.

Deham = Body symbolizing all objective and subjective perceptions.

Naham = I am not.

Koham = Who am I?

Soham = I am Sivam or Consciousness.

Rid of all vestures, vehicles, masks, conveyances and camouflages, Pure Consciousness alone will shine if the inquiry Who am I?
is relentlessly pursued within. Such Atma Vichara releases one from bondage. Release from bondage and dawning of Wisdom
are simultaneous, like coming of light and ending of darkness are spontaneous.

In this grand journey within, the Guru's Grace is absolutely essential. For one who is ready to plunge within, Guru's Grace is
totally assured. This grace is felt by one dedicating himself to the pursuit of Self Inquiry, through a deepening peace, welling
up in him, independent of life's circumstances.

Simply Be Aware - concluded.

Arunachala Siva.