Author Topic: Direct Teaching of Bhagavan Ramana:  (Read 19905 times)

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
Direct Teaching of Bhagavan Ramana:
« on: December 05, 2012, 04:51:53 PM »
Sri V. Ganesan, has written a book titled Direct Teaching of Bhagavan Ramana - Self attention  expounded in His own words of wisdom:

The Introduction to this book itself is a great advice about Ramana's teachings. I shall give the Introduction of this book here:

To tread the path of true spirituality, the Great Master, Bhagavan Ramana, gave immense importance to inward turned sadhana
rather than to indulge in outward turned good works. The recorded Talks of the Maharshi, contained in the various published
books, abound with statements confirming this, like 'Practice is very important', 'Practice, practice; more practice.' There can be
no two opinions about this.

The real significance of what the Master referred to as 'practice' is revealed in the following report of an ardent sadhaka-
devotee, S.S. Cohen: 'Once, the devotee who was in charge of English correspondence in the Asramam Office was unavailable
and the Sarvadhikari asked Major Chadwick, who was living in the Asramam, to take his place., Chadwick refused but felt a prick
of conscience for doing so. After dinner that night, when we were alone, or almost alone with Bhagavan, Cjhadwick told Him about it
and asked whether he had done right. Bhagavan answered that Chadwick was doing Him greater service by meditating, thereby
greatly relieving the latter's mind. (Fragrant Petals.)

There is another significant incident, reported in Ramana Smrti, in the case of Shantamma, the Asramam lady-cook. Shanatamma
complained that her working all the time in the  kitchen deprived her of doing meditation in the presence of Sri Bhagavan. Sri
Bhagavan's reply is equally important: 'Let the hands and legs do the work and the mind be merged in meditation.

Arunachala Siva.                 

Ravi.N

• View Profile
Re: Direct Teaching of Bhagavan Ramana:
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2012, 05:03:19 PM »
Subramanian,
May I request you to post in one thread;otherwise it will become flooded .You may start one thread ,if you do not find any of the existing ones suitable.
Namaskar.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2012, 05:05:14 PM by Ravi.N »

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2012, 05:10:40 PM »
Dear Sri Subramanian Sir,

I also feel the same as Sri Ravi and request you to post in not so many threads, for I am unable to find and go through all of them.

Thanks very much, sir.

Pranam,
  Anil

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2012, 05:36:41 PM »
Dear Anil.

I also understood this. Hence from the last post under head, I have maintained continuity, without opening a new post.

Hereafter all  anecdotes  under the following heads will be under one psst:

Day by Day.

Letters from Sri Ramanasramam.

Talks

Arunachala Ramana - the Bondless Ocean of Grace. - volumed wise it will appear as different posts.

Nisargadatta Maharaj.

Holy Bible,

Trumandram.

Mountain   Path articles - issue wise will have separate  posts.

Sri Ramana Sannidhi Murai. 

etc., etc.,

Arunachala Siva.

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2012, 08:30:53 PM »

Ji. Yes. This is so kind of you. In this way I and other forum members would certaily be greatly benefitted. Thanks very much sir.

Pranam,
  Anil

Jewell

• Love,always love and only love
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2012, 08:45:17 PM »
Dear Sri Anil, I agree with You! It is great,dear Sri Subramanian sir,that You started this topic. I will,cerainly enjoy. With love and prayers,

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2012, 09:26:43 AM »
Chapter titled The Flight of the Flame:

(excerpts)

Detachment or renunciation is not giving up of things, but total non identification with things. While the early years testify
to His complete neglect of the body and its needs, in the later years, when He was recognized and made much of by multitudes,
Sri Ramana revealed another aspect of detachment, non rejection of things showered on Him. He exemplified the law that 'refusing
to accept is as egoistic as craving for possession.'

The freedom Sri Bhagavan gave to others to enjoy His saameepya (proximity, nearness), His soulabya (easy accessibility),
explains this new aspect of detachment. This detachment shone in every act that happened around Him, every moment.
The Sun's life giving heat and the Moon's cool brightness, blended in Sri Ramana's Presence.

The beauty about Sri Bhagavan's life is that all the happenings that took place during the Patala Linga, Iluppai Tree and Gurumurtam
days were later casually recounted by Him. This is, even when He was in nirvikalpa samadhi, totally absorbed within. He was
aware of happenings without. This state is rare, though not unknown to spiritual lore, and it is extolled as sahaja samadhi. In
the body, yet transcending its limitations.

Arunachala Siva.       

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2012, 10:17:09 AM »

Ji. Yes. Sri Bhagwan's as well as Sri Rama Krishna's advent add new dimension, hither to unknown and hidden, to the spiritual lore.

Thanks very much, sir.

Pranam,
 Anil

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2012, 12:48:37 PM »
THE FLIGHT OF THE FLAME: CONTINUES...

In the last months, while subjecting the body to repeated surgery and remaining indifferent to the excruciating pain, Sri
Bhagavan recapitulated as it were, the old Patala Linga days. To give up dehatma buddhi and abide as the Self-eternal
is the message of the Master.

Great Sages -- like Suka, Jadabharata, Ramana - have thus demonstrated that they are not the body but Pure Awareness
dwelling in a body radiating light and peace.

In this light, His last words sum up the lesson taught by fifty four years of life as Arunachala-Siva.

"I AM NOT GOING AWAY. I AM HERE. WHERE COULD I GO?"

Reign of Supreme Wisdom in the very presence of Father Arunachala! The Truth Eternal is now made manifest and available
to all, not only to human seekers but even to animals and plants!  The journey which began at Tiruchuzhi continued  to
Arunachala and ended as Jyoti Rupa, the Source and the End of All!

Arunachala took up this journey in motion in the form of Ramana only to draw every one, the least of us, into the fold of
Sri Ramana and start a similar journey, for returning to our Source in pure Being Awareness Bliss.

"....This embodied being from You proceeding, may through various ways of self chosen wander aimless for a while,
but cannot rest till it rejoins You, the Source...Even so the individual soul must return to You, O Aruna Hill, and merge again
in You alone, Ocean of Bliss!

The Chapter titled The Flight of the Flame is concluded. We shall see excerpts from other chapters in due course.

Arunachala Siva.         

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2012, 10:28:55 AM »
Blossoms of Blessings:

'Practice the Teaching' - Bhagavan Ramana.

Realization of the Self is the greatest help that can be rendered to humanity.

- Sri Ramana Maharshi.

'It is tremendously exhilarating to learn for the first time the truth of the One Self and the possibility of Self Realization.
At last life has a meaning and purpose.'

- Sri Arthur Osborne.

'Self Inquiry ought to be the easiest of all tasks. But it seems to be the most difficult because we have become strangers
to our Self. What one has to do is simple - to abide as the Self.

-T.M.P. Mahadevan.

'It is all pure gold. And  here we find the ever living Sri Ramana Maharshi before us in person, teaching us in His own
inimitable words for our benefit.'

-Major Chadwick.

Arunachala Siva.   

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2012, 10:39:23 AM »
Blossoms of Blessings:

Part II:

The Self is always there. It is you. There is nothing but you. Nothing can be apart from you.

You are the Self. You are already That. The fact is that you are ignorant of your blissful state. Ignorance supervenes and
draws a veil over the pure Bliss. Attempts are directed only to remove this ignorance. This ignorance consists in wrong knowledge.
The wrong knowledge consists in false identification of the Self with the body, the mind, etc., This false identify must go; and,
there remains the Self.

You are already the Self. Therefore realization is common to everyone. Realization knows no difference in aspirants. The very
doubt, 'Can I realize?' or the feeling, 'I have not realized' are the obstacles. Be free from these.

- Talk No. 251.

There is the Absolute Self from which a spark proceeds as from fire.  The spark is called the Ego. In the case of an ignorant
man, it identifies itself with an object simultaneously with its rise. It cannot remain independent of such association with
objects. This association is ajnana or ignorance, whose destruction is the objective of our efforts. If its objectifying tendency
is killed it remains pure, and also merges into the Source. The wrong identification with the body is dehatma buddhi. This
must go.

- Talk No. 286.

Ego is I-thought. In its subtle form it remains a thought, whereas in its gross aspect it embraces the mind, the senses and the body.
They disappear in deep slumber along with the ego. Still the Self is there. Similarly it will be in death.

Aham - I, is the only one. Egos are different. They are in the One Self. The Self is not affected by the ego. 'I' is only only.
'I' is the Truth. Real Knowledge of the Self is an experience and not apprehension my mind.

- Talk No. 285.

continued......                 

Jewell

• Love,always love and only love
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2012, 01:55:04 AM »
Dear Sri Subramanian sir,

Beautiful writings from Bhagavan! I find this post truly wonderful,with the Truth we need to know.

Thank You!

With love and prayers,

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2012, 08:28:30 AM »
Blossoms of Blessings:

Part II:

continues.....

Devotee: How can the mind be made to vanish?

Maharshi: No attempt is made to destroy it. To think or wish  it is itself a thought. If the thinker is sought, the thoughts
will disappear.

Devotee: Will they disappear of themselves? It looks so difficult.

Maharshi:  they will disappear because they are unreal. The idea of difficulty is itself an obstacle to realization. It must
be overcome. To remain as the Self is not difficult.

-Talk 244.

Maharshi: Make effort. Just as water is got by boring a well, so also you realize the Self by investigation.

Devotee: Yes. But some find water readily and others with difficulty.

Maharshi: But you already see the moisture on the surface. You are hazily aware of the Self. Pursue it. When the effort ceases,
the Self shines forth.

Devotee: How to train the mind to look within?

Maharshi: By practice. The mind is the intelligent phase leading to its own destruction, for Self to manifest.

Devotee: How to destroy the mind?

Maharshi: Water cannot be made dry. Seek the Self. The mind will be destroyed.

- Talk 240.

Arunachala Siva.     

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 11, 2012, 03:18:14 PM »
Blossoms of Blessings:

Part II - continues.......

The only useful purpose of the present birth is to turn within and realize it. There is nothing else to do.

- Talk No. 219.

If you do not make Atma Vichara, then loka vichara creeps in. That which is not, is sought of, but not that which is obvious.
When once you have found what you seek, Vichara also ceases and you rest in it. As long as one is confusing the body with
Atman, Atman is said to be lost and one is said to seek for it, but the Atman itself is never lost. It always exists.

- Talk No, 186.

.....All lokas  even Brahma loka, do not release one from rebirth. Vide Bhagavad Gita: 'Reaching ME, there is no rebirth.....All others
are in bondage.'  What is birth? It is the birth of ego. Once born you reach something; if you reach it you return also.

Therefore, leave all the verbiage! Be as you are. See who you are and remain as the Self, free from birth, going, coming and returning,.

-Talk No. 181.

To another question Sri Bhagavan said: 'How do you say 'I am'?  Do you take a light to find yourself. Or did you come to know it
on reading books? How?

The questioner said: By Experience.

Maharshi: Yes. Experience is the word. Knowledge implies subject and object. But Experience is non terminal, eternal.

Do not engage in any kind of disputes. Turn inward and put an end to this. There will be no finality in disputations.

The ego comes up only holding you (the Self). Hold yourself and the ego will vanish. Until then the Sage will be saying: 'There is--
The ignorant will be asking 'where?'.

- Talk No. 132.

Effort is necessary up to the state of realization.

-Talk No. 78.

Does not one find some kind of peace while in meditation? That is the sign of progress. That peace will be deeper and more
prolonged with continued  practice.

- Talk No. 73

contd.,

Arunachala Siva.

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 12, 2012, 04:00:45 PM »
Blossoms of Blessings:

Part II:

Unless intellectually known, how to practice it? Learn it intellectually first, hen do not stop with that. Practice it.

Talk No. 40

The mind by nature is restless. Begin liberating the mind from its restlessness. Give it peace. Make it free  from distractions.
Train to look inward; make this a habit. This is done by ignoring the external world  and removing the obstacles to peace of mind.

Talk No. 26.

Success begets success. If one distraction is conquered, the next is conquered  and so on. Until all the are finally conquered.

Talk No, 28.

When you are told  you are not the ego, realize the Reality. Why do you still identify with the ego? It is like saying, 'Don't think
of monkey while taking medicine.

Talk No., 28.

Arunachala Siva,