Author Topic: Experience of Self Realization  (Read 14666 times)

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
Re: Experience of Self Realization
« Reply #15 on: December 21, 2012, 09:53:10 AM »
(From Technique of Maha Yoga)

18. Stillness of the mind:

This warning is intended only for those wanting to find and pursue a shortcut in their sadhana. Stillness or emptiness of mind
or voidness arising from partial eradication of the Vasnas as a result of contemplation of the Self is what should be aimed at.
This voidness is a state of intense concentration. In the early stages even a pin drop noise causes bodily shock which shatters
you to pieces.  Besides this, stillness or the thought free natural state also scorches the Vasanas. Sri Bhagavan says the Vasanas
will be 'scorched if only you remain as you truly are', meaning in your primal pure state. (Talks No. 219).

It will be noticed that the mental articulation of Who am I? is in the initial stages used for the rejection of thoughts and in the
next stage 'Who am I?', meaning 'What is the source of the I-thought?' is used for training the mind  to dive into the Heart,
resulting in the gradual attenuation of the mind and the elimination of Vasanas due to the exposure of the mind to the light
of consciousness while diving. Thereafter stillness of mind is obtained when the mind is engaged in focusing on the Heart without
any mental articulation.

concluded.

Arunachala Siva.   

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 22, 2012, 09:38:52 AM »
(From the Technique of Maha Yoga)

19. Inner Voice:

The Inner Voice is heard as you hear your own mental articulation. It is mostly heard when in a state bordering on trance.
There is no mistaking it. If you happen to be one of those who used to early morning meditation at 2 or 3 am. and if by chance
you oversleep, it rouses you up calling you  by your name. In the beginning, when not used to it, you wonder where from externally
the voice comes. Later you understand it. Sometimes Inner Voice says 'Still sleeping?'; or if by inadvertence, you have taken tamasic
food overnight resulting in your inability to meditate, and feeling inclined to sleep, it chides you; but if by over-meditating in the
previous night or any other reasonable cause you feel sleepy and unable to meditate and fee acutely remorseful for losing the
period, it says, 'Don't worry.' How at every step it handles you more than a fond mother!

When meditation  tapers off to stillness or trance the Inner Voice, the voice of the Self or Guru, it is heard from within to clear
whatever doubts you may be laboring under. At times it quells your meditation and comes like a flash and has its say. A wise
Sadhaka should at once jot down such instructions for sometimes it is difficult to comprehend their meaning all at once, in some
cases the expressions are so classical that you have to refer to the dictionary for most words; besides they are cryptic and
meaningful and the language is inimitably beautiful, particularly in the case of Sri Bhagavan's devotees. If you fail to jot them
down, then and there, you cannot recall them.

In this connection, one is aptly reminded of Sri Bhagavan's questions from Sage Tayumanavar, 'Oh Lord! Coming with me all
along the several births, never abandoning me and finally rescuing me! (Talks No. 398).

And again from the author of Kaivalya Navaneetam, 'Oh Guru! You have always been with me, watching me through several
births and ordaining my course. (ibid. 425).

Unless Sri Bhagavan had Himself this experience He would not have referred to others' experience about it. This also explains
Sri Bhagavan's instructions to the American gentleman at the time of his parting, 'The Inner Guru is never silent.'

Mahatma Gandhi relied very much on the Inner Voice which guided him throughout throughout in planning his political movement.
Can a movement guided by God fail?

Sri Bhagavan was a regular reader of Gandhi's weekly Harijan and occasionally got Gandhi's experiences in Harijan read
out in the Hall.

Arunachala Siva.         

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 23, 2012, 12:47:20 PM »
(From Technique of Maha Yoga:)

20. Samadhi:

Real Atma Vichara begins only when one is off the mental waves and abides in the Heart. By unswerving constancy in the Self,
like the ceaseless unbroken filamentary flow of oil, is generated Nirvikalpa Samadhi. (Talks No. 349).  Every Yogi's aim is to
achieve the Nirvikalpa Samadhi for its beneficial spiritual effects.

Samadhi is a sort of trance. Sri Rama in Rama Gita tells Hanuman there are over a hundred samadhis. These are the Hatha Yoga
and Raja Yoga Samadhis. They are all treated in their respective treatises.

But in Maha Yoga, the Samadhis an aspirant meets during the course of the Sadhana are:

1. Kevala Nirvikalpa Samadhi.
2. Savikalpa Samadhi
3. Nirvikalpa Samadhi &
4. Sahaja Samadhi.

Kevala Nirvikalpa Samadhi is expereinced during Tanumanasi or the advanced stages of Step 4. In Kevala  Nirvikalpa Samadhi,
the mind is immersed in the Light of Consciousness for a short while and is pulled back by the Vasanas that have not been
destroyed. In this state, awareness with calmness of mind is experienced.

Mind holding on to the Self with effort is Savikalpa Samadhi. In other words when the mind is fixed on the object of meditation
for a particular length of time, unobstructed by the least ripple of thought, it is SavikalpaSamadhi. Savikalpa means with differentiation
of subject  and object. i.e. the meditator and the object of meditation.

Constant practice of Savikalpa Samadhi leads to Nirvikalpa Samadhi. Mind merged in Reality and remaining unaware of the world
is Nirvikalpa Samadhi. In this state, the subject and object i.e. the meditator and the meditated, fuse into a mass of consciousness.
On coming out of this Samadhi, the meditator recalls the Samadhi experience and remembering what he has read in the scriptures
to be identical with his experience he realizes himself as 'I am That'. This recollection of the Samadhi experience and his identification
as 'I  am That' is called Pratyabhijna Jnana. It is only this Pratyabhijna Jnana that completely destroys the ignorance. i.e. duality.

This is fully explained in Chap. XVII of Tripura Rahasya.

Arunachala Siva. 

Vinod

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 23, 2012, 09:30:22 PM »
Dear Subramanian,

One quick question!

If a person has done some mistake, may be a big one and after few years he becomes self realized and does the person still has to face the consequences?

Om Arunaachaleshwaraaya Namaha!

atmavichar100

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 24, 2012, 07:29:56 AM »
Dear Subramanian,

One quick question!

If a person has done some mistake, may be a big one and after few years he becomes self realized and does the person still has to face the consequences?

After he becomes self realized ,he will not be bothered much about what happens to him .
However many holy words you read, however many you speak, what good will they do you if you do not act on upon them? - Buddha

sanjaya_ganesh

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 24, 2012, 08:01:17 AM »

"Person" does not exist after that - so there is no question of consequence.

Sanjay
Salutations to Bhagawan

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 24, 2012, 08:19:12 AM »
Dear Vinod,

If a person is self realized, the prarabdha alone will affect him as per scriptures. The mistakes of current birth, will not affect him,
after Self Realization.

According to Sri Bhagavan, all the three, prarabdha, sanjaya and agami -- all the three would not affect him, as mentioned in
Ulladu Narpadu, Supplement, Verse 33,

Self Realization is a conflagration;  it burns  every thing, all sins and mistakes.

Arunachala Siva. 

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 24, 2012, 12:56:06 PM »
(From the Technique of Maha Yoga):

21. Effects of Nirvikalpa Samadhi:

Viveka Chudamani says, 'When the mind is purified, by sadhana, one passes from Savikalpa to Nirvikalpa Samadhi and thereafter
directly to Self Realization. This Nirvikalpa Samadhi results in the severance of Chit Jada Granthi, destruction of all vasanas, and the
cognizance of all manifestations as the Self without effort. The difference of you, I, this, that, etc., disappears.

Sri Bhagavan says that it is only up to the attainment of Nirvikalpa Samadhi that effort is necessary. Then the Beyond takes hold
of you. Your effort cannot reach there. With Self Realization only, real and incessant tapas results. (Talks No. 30)

This tapas is effortless. Just as a trajectile to reach the moon is powered to overcome the earth's gravitation initially and to
overcome the space of weightlessness till it is thrown into the field of the moon's attraction, when the moon's attraction alone
prevails and gathers the trajectile to the moon, similarly the aspirant by his effort overcomes the vasanas and the mind, which
prevents his abiding in the Self. After a period of mindlessness and Nirvikalpa Samadhi he is attracted and forcibly held by the Self
till he is transformed into the Self.

After Nirvikalpa Samadhi he becomes a jivan mukta, i.e. liberated even while alive. Thereafter there is no effort on his part. He is
only passive to the influence of the Self which effects the transformation.   Just like the steel stuck to a magnet, the mind is held
and overpowered by the Self and is released only after it is completely transformed.

Sri Ramakrishna while so overpowered by the Self was unconscious of the body and its needs had to be tended to and the saint
fed by his nephew  Hriday.

Sri Bhagavan after his arrival at Tiruvannamalai was in a similar condition for several weeks. The grip of the Self on Him was so
great and persistent that he was absolutely unconscious of the passing of the days and nights and of His body and its needs
and He had to be forcibly fed.

In the 10th Verses of Arunachala Padigam, recalling His experience, He says: 'I have discovered a new thing. This Hill, the Lodestone
of lives,arrests the movements of anyone who so much thinks of It, draws him face to face with It, and fixes him motionless like
Itself, to fed upon his soul thus ripened. What a wonder is this! O souls, beware of It and Live! Such a destroyer of lives is this
magnificent Arunachala, which shines  within the Heart!

Arunachala Siva.               

Vinod

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 24, 2012, 10:46:39 PM »

In the 10th Verses of Arunachala Padigam, recalling His experience, He says: 'I have discovered a new thing. This Hill, the Lodestone
of lives,arrests the movements of anyone who so much thinks of It, draws him face to face with It, and fixes him motionless like
Itself, to fed upon his soul thus ripened. What a wonder is this! O souls, beware of It and Live! Such a destroyer of lives is this
magnificent Arunachala, which shines  within the Heart!

Arunachala Siva.             

Subramanian Ji,

This is very very true and it has happened many times in my case. Just few days back I was thinking of Arunachala and missing it a lot, but was helpless coz in my new job I am not allowed to take long leave for the first 3 months. Today it is confirmed that I am getting off from 25-28th and I am so lucky that the full moon is falling these days. I am so excited about this and my desire is fulfilled even without wishing it.

Thank you so much sir for the detailed responce of my question and my gratitude also goes for others who have responded.

Many thanks!

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 25, 2012, 08:23:08 AM »
(From the Technique of Maha Yoga) 

What is Maha Yoga?

Caught in the vortex of the cycle of births and deaths transmigrating through eighty four lakhs of species of animated
beings, one evolves as a human being. Even then he has still the old strong animal instincts and is not capable of discriminating
the good from the bad. When, as a result of suffering, the primitive man recognizes a supreme power, prays to it to get over his suffering and the gracious Lord is pleased to relieve him of it, faith in the Lord is created and then through habit he worships God even though he may not have any suffering. Thus is paved the way for devotion. Later he utilizes his devotion for getting the pleasures of
the world and heaven, ignorant of the aim of human birth which is Liberation from the cycle of births and deaths. This worship by
puja,  later by singing praises, which, while in the beginning, is occasional, becomes frequent and later is continuous. He has also
recourse to japa which is repetition to keep him in unceasing remembrance of God. When with this supreme devotion all his actions
are done in a spirit of dedication to God, the goddess of the Self is pleased and directs him to the path of liberation.

Ribhu Gita says that only in those that have obtained Grace by worship and extreme devotion to Lord Siva is generated the
belief in the oneness of all, and not in others.

In Panchadasi, Dhyana Deepika, it is said that he, who has in several previous births done motiveless actions dedicated to God,
becoming ripe for Self Inquiry, is desirous of practicing Atma Vichara (Self Inquiry).

The Bhagavad Gita emphasizes motiveless action leading to Jnana and then to liberation.

contd.,

Arunachala Siva.     

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 26, 2012, 12:57:21 PM »
What is Maha Yoga?

continues....

Sri Bhagavan in the third verse of Upadesa Undiyar says motiveless actions dedicated to God correct the individual's approach
and direct him to the path of liberation. While previously his virtuous actions were motivated by a desire for heavens or better
future births, the individual surrendering the fruits of his actions to God leaving no residue of such fruits to himself is forced into
Jnana Marga. Once he dedicates his actions including his daily routine duties are done in a spirit of service to God. Even the
maintenance of the family and the work therefor are done in the same spirit gradually resulting in detachment from the family
also. Then it dawns in his mind, 'How many parents, wives, and children I must have had in my my several previous births? Am I
concerned with them now? The same will be the case with the present ones also.' This detachment grows, which leads again to
Vairagya and mumukshutvam.

Arunachala Siva,.       

atmavichar100

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 26, 2012, 01:18:55 PM »
Subramanian Ji,

This is very very true and it has happened many times in my case. Just few days back I was thinking of Arunachala and missing it a lot, but was helpless coz in my new job I am not allowed to take long leave for the first 3 months. Today it is confirmed that I am getting off from 25-28th and I am so lucky that the full moon is falling these days. I am so excited about this and my desire is fulfilled even without wishing it.

Thank you so much sir for the detailed responce of my question and my gratitude also goes for others who have responded.

Many thanks!

Vinod

Wish you a wonderful time at Arunachala .
By the way yesterday I read an incident from Sri Ramakrishna Paramahamsa's life that if the desire to go to any spiritual place is very real ,then God will manifest an opportunity for the same from unknown quarters but this desire should be very  deep and not just a simple wish .

Om Peace
However many holy words you read, however many you speak, what good will they do you if you do not act on upon them? - Buddha

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 27, 2012, 11:53:23 AM »
(From the technique of Maha Yoga):

1. Jnana Yoga:

In the Jnana Yoga, there is the dhyana marga and there is the vichara marga, which Sri Bhagavan calls MAHA YOGA. The former
deals with the meditation of one of the Maha Vakyas - Aham Brahmasmi. (I am the Self). Sri Bhagavan recommended MAHA YOGA,
i.e. Vichara as a more direct method for easy concentration of mind and consequent eradication of vasanas and extinction of the mind.

Sri Bhagavan tersely puts the whole scheme of Maha Yoga in Vichara Sangraha (Self Inquiry) as follows:

By constant practice of inquiry is obtained the extinction of mind. This extinction is the ultimate result of all efforts. Those in this
state never swerve from this position. Mouna or to remain still is this State. All Sadhanas are for obtaining concentration of the mind;
for tho think, to desire, to have, etc., are all modifications of mind and cannot be the natural state of the Self. The mere immutable
quiescent state of mind alone is one's natural state. Till this state of mental stillness gets firm, not to lose hold of the Self and not
to contaminate the mind with thoughts are the two essentials to be observed in the Sadhana.

Arunachala Siva.           

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 28, 2012, 01:12:50 PM »
2. The Seven Stages of Jnana Yoga:

There are seven  Bhumikas or stages in Jnana Yoga_

1. Subeccha 2. Vicharana 3. Tanumanasi 4. Sattavpatti 4. Asamsakti 6. Padarthabhavana 7. Turiya.

1. Dispassion for wife and children, mumukshutva (desire for liberation)  and the desire that arises in one through
sheer Vairagya after resolving, 'Shall I be ignorant? I will study the Jnana Sastras and seek the company of the wise.'
is termed Subecccha.

2. Association with the wise and the earnest and constant study of the various jnana sastras, is Vichaana.

3. Absolute faith in the scriptures and in the teachings of the wise and the practice of the sadhana or meditation leading
to the thinning of the ego and to the weakening of the hankering for sense objects is termed Tanumanasi.

4. The stage where in having got indifferent to all sense objects by the practice of the above three stages the purified mind,
getting ripe, gets fixed in the Heart, is called Sattvapatti.

5. As a result of the practice of the four previous stages mind getting absorbed in the Heart, manifesting pure sattva guna
is termed Asamsakti.

6. That stage wherein as a result of the practice of the above five stages one having found delight in Atman is not conscious
of internals and externals though before him and engages in actions only when impelled to do so is termed Padarthabhavana.

7. The stage wherein by exceedingly long practice in the above six stages one immovably abides in Atman alone, having lost the
experience of the distinction of the world is termed Turiya.

Arunachala Siva.           

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 29, 2012, 12:50:05 PM »
(From the Technique of Maha Yoga):

3. GURU:

God, Guru, and the inner Self are the same.

It is stated in all Hindu scriptures that a Guru is always necessary. Ordinarily, anyone cannot start practice of Jnana Yoga,
without the aid of a Jnana Guru. The Bhagavad Gita IV.34, states a Brahma Jnani alone cannot initiate one in Brahma Jnana
or at least it implies that.

Bhagavan Sri Ramana in Vichara Sangraha  says that as a result of motiveless actions in dedication to God done in several previous
births, mind getting purified, an aspirant meets his Guru, gets Upadesa from him, and by long, intense and incessant practice gets
liberation.

Sometimes, in the case of a few earnest aspirants, some great souls suggest that they hold in their heart the use of an emblem
such a photo or a figure of their chosen Guru, and to start the practice as mentioned in their teachings, with great faith and devotion.
The story of Ekalavya, the hunter, is cited as an instance.

In various puranas and stories of saints it is said that when the aspirant is ripe, God arranges for him to meet  a guru. And even
a causal word uttered by the guru is treasured and acted upon, which leads the aspirant to liberation.

contd.,

Arunachala Siva.