Author Topic: Day by Day with Bhagavan:  (Read 69693 times)

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
Re: Day by Day with Bhagavan:
« Reply #90 on: February 25, 2013, 10:18:55 AM »
20.07.1946:

In the afternoon, Sundaresa Iyer told Sri Bhagavan that his daughter in law (Narayanaswami Iyer's daughter) had severe
labor pains and finally could bear it no longer and cried out: "Ramana! I cannot bear it!" and immediately the delivery took
place.

Bhagavan merely said: "Is that so?"

Arunachala Siva.   

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #91 on: February 26, 2013, 10:47:02 AM »
21.07.1946:

In the afternoon the following two questions were put by Mr. Bhargava, an elderly visitor from Jhansi in U.P.

(1) How am I to search for the 'I' from start to finish?

(2) When I meditate I reach a stage where there is a vacuum or void. How should I proceed from there?

Bhagavan: Never mind whether there are visions are sounds or anything else or whether there is a void. Are you present during
all this or are you not?  You must have been there even during the void to be able to say that you experienced a void.
To be fixed in that 'you' is the quest for the 'I' from start to finish.

Arunachala Siva. 

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #92 on: February 27, 2013, 05:11:44 PM »
21.07.1946:

Mr. Bhargava's questions and Bhagavan's replies:

After that, Sri Bhgavan quoted verses 212 and 213 from Vikekachudamani, in which the disciple says: "After I eliminate the five
sheaths as non self, I find nothing at all remains.'  And the Guru replied that the Self or That by which all modifications including
the ego and its creatures, and their absence that is void are perceived is always there.

Arunachala Siva.

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #93 on: February 28, 2013, 01:58:11 PM »
21.07.1946:

Then Sri Bhagavan continued speaking on the subject and said: The nature of the Self or 'I' must be illumination. You
perceive all modifications and their absence. How? To say that you get the illumination from the another would  raise the
question how he got it and there would no be no end to the chain of reasoning. So you yourself are illumination. The usual
illustration of this is the following:  You make all kinds of sweets of various ingredients and in various shapes and they all
taste sweet because there is sugar in all of them and sweetness is the nature of sugar.  And in the same way, all experiences
and the absence of them contain the illumination which is the nature of the Self. Without the Self they cannot be experienced,
just as without sugar not one of the articles you make can taste sweet.

A little later Sri Bhagavan  also said: First one sees the Self as the objects, then one sees the Self as void, then one sees the
Self as Self, only in this last there is no seeing because seeing is being.

Arunachala Siva.       

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #94 on: March 01, 2013, 10:25:22 AM »
21.07.1946:

continues.....

Mr. Bhargava also said something about sleep, and this led Sri Bhagavan to speak about sleep as follows:

What is required is to remain fixed in the Self always.  The obstacles to that are distraction by the things of the world (including
sense objects, desires, and tendencies) on the one hand, and sleep on the other.  Sleep is always mentioned in books as the first
obstacles to Samadhi and various methods are prescribed for overcoming it according to the stage of evolution of the person
concerned.

First, one is enjoined to give up all distractions by the world and its objects or by sleep.  But then, it is said, for instance in the
Gita, that one need not give up sleep entirely.  too much or too little are alike undesirable. One should not sleep at all during the
daytime, and even during the night restrict sleep to the middle portion, from about ten pm.  to two am. But another method is
prescribed is not to bother about sleep at all. When it overtakes you, you can do nothing about it, so simply remain fixed in the
Self or in meditation every moment of your waking life and take up the meditation again the moment you wake, and that will be
enough. Then even during sleep the same current of thought or meditation will be working. This is evident because if a man goes to
sleep with any strong thought working in the mind, he finds the same thought there when he wakes It is of the man who does this with
meditation that it is sleep even his sleep is samadhi.

Second, a good way to reduce the amount of sleep needed is to take only Sattvic food and that too  in moderation to avoid work
or activity of any kind.

Arunachala Siva. 

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #95 on: March 02, 2013, 12:53:25 PM »
24.07.1946:

Bhargava:  What is awareness and how can one obtain and cultivate it?

Bhagavan: You are awareness.  Awareness is another name for you. Since you are awareness there is no need to attain and
cultivate it.

This was obviously a bit too much for Bhargava and he was wondering how it was an answer to his question.  But Bhagavan
came to his help by adding: All that you have to do is to give up being aware of other things, that is of the not Self. If
one gives up being aware of them then pure awareness alone remains and that is the Self.

Arunachala Siva.     

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #96 on: March 03, 2013, 01:15:37 PM »
04.08.1946:

This morning Yogi Ramiah  arrived. About 9.30 am. Sri Bhagavan was looking into the Tamzih paper Hindustan and read out
to me the following dialogue from it.

Ist Man:  It is only if sorrows or troubles come to us ha we think of God.

2nd Man: Ah, you fool. If we are always thinking of God, how can sorrows or troubles come to us?

Why Sri Bhagavan drew my attention to this. I do not know. I wonder if it is because I generally argue with Him that it should not
be necessary for an all powerful and all loving God to make us pass through pain to turn us towards Him.

Arunachala Siva.       

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #97 on: March 04, 2013, 12:45:38 PM »
07.08.1946:

A note book in which I had written down some favorite Tamizh songs of mine was missing for sometime and so I began to
copying those songs again in a fresh note book.  This was brought to Bhagavan's notice  by T.R.R. and soon afterwards Mr.
Somasundaram Pillai of Cuddalore arrived and told me that my old not book had not been lost but was with his family.

In numerous incidents, too many to remember, happened like this.   The moment I told Bhagavan, you got the note book, said
T.S.R.  'It seems Bhagavan's Mother once wanted kadukkai (Indian myrobolan) and soon afterwards somebody brought it. You
ask Bhagavan about it."   

Thereupon I asked Bhagavan and He said, "It was not Mother that wanted kadukkai. I used to have cough and also constipation
in those days. I was then in Virukpksha Cave.  I used to much kadukkai now and then. One day our stock of kadukkai had been
exhausted. In those days, overseer (Sesha Iyer) used to me to me daily in the evenings, after his usual visits round the town.
And he used to after our requirements. So we told him we wanted kadukkai.  He would generally attend promptly to any such
want. But somehow, he did not send it the next day. So I told Pazhaniswami. "When you go to chattaram this afternoon, remind
the overseer about kadukkai."  But before he went, the following incident happened.

One Adimulam, and his friends from a village near Chengam used to come here once a month, to go round the Hill and they would\
visit me also. They came that day, stayed with me for sometime, and took leave and departed.  After going  a few paces, they came
back and asked me, if we had any possible use for kadukkai. We said 'Yes.'  And then they brought a whole bag of them and requested
us to keep it. We took about 2 measures, selecting the best, and returned the rest to them.  It seems, as they were coming they found
kadukkai all along the Chenagam Road, and they had gathered a whole bag.  Evidently, some bags, carried overnight in the carts
plying on that road, were leaking and these had spilled out . So I asked Pazhaniswami to tell the overseer not to send kadukkai from
the town.

Arunachala Siva.   

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #98 on: March 05, 2013, 01:19:28 PM »
07.08.1946:

Afternoon:

This morning, Yogi Ramiah brought a small note book in which Bhagavan had long ago copied for the Yogi, some of Bhagavan's
works, and wanted the binding to be mended. Bhagavan gave some directions and entrusted the work to T.S.R.  In the evening
T.S.R. gave the notebook mended to Bhagavan and Bhagavan approved of the work and handed it to Yogi, saying, "Look at 
your notebook now." Yogi said, "All is Bhagavan's grace." or some such thing.  Muruganar took up the note book and, seeing only
a fourth of the notebook has been written up and rest was empty, quoted the words from the Purusha Suktam and remarked,
"Like a fourth only of God manifesting in the entire universe and the remaining three fourths lying outside it unknown, this book
contains only a fourth of Sri Bhagavan". All laughed including Sri Bhagavan.

Arunachala Siva.

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #99 on: March 06, 2013, 10:43:38 AM »
02.11.1945:

Dilip Kumar Roy read out another poem composed by him on Sri Bhagavan. Then he sang a few songs. Then he asked Bhagavan:
'What is the best way of killing the ego?"

Bhagavan: To each person that way is the best which appears easiest and appeals most. All the ways are equally good, as
they lead to the same goal, which is merging of the ego, in the Self. What the bhakta calls surrender, the man who does Vichara
calls Jnana. Both are trying only to take the ego back to the source from which it sprang and make it merge there. 

Roy: But which is the best way for me?  Bhagavan must know.

Bhagavan did not reply.  (This is only usual with Sri Bhagavan. He leaves it to each devotee to find out what sadhana appears
most easy to him.P

Arunachala Siva.     

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #100 on: March 07, 2013, 01:31:40 PM »
08.08.1946:

Mr. Viswanath said: "Shroff is asking me to find out from Bhgagavan why it is that in spite of his being sincerely keen on being
near Bhagavan, he did not get posted to Madras or any place near Tiruvannamalai, but was sent to Bombay."  Bhagavan replied:
"What can we say?  Things happen in a way we don't understand.  Those whom one never expects suddenly come here.
Some who are here are suddenly and unexpectedly made to go away from here. What can we say about it?"

Arunachala Siva.

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #101 on: March 08, 2013, 01:23:20 PM »
14.09.1945:

Three or four days ago, Mr. Desai, Retired Sub Judge asked Sri Bhagavan: "How to direct the prana or life current into the
sushumna nadi so that as stated in Ramana Gita we could achieve the severance of the knot, that is chit jada granthi?"

Bhagavan said:  By inquiring Who am I?

"The yogi may be definitely aiming at rousing the kundalini and sending it up the sushumna.
The Jnani may not be having this as his object. Both both achieve the same result, that of sending
the life force up the sushumna and severing the chit jada granthi.  Kundalini is another name for Atma or
Self or Sakti. We talk  of it as being inside the body, because we conceive ourselves as limited by this body.
But it is in reality both inside and outside, being no other than Self or the Sakti of the Self.

Desai: How to churn up the nadis, so that kundalini may go up the sushumna?

Bhagavan: Though the yogi may have his methods of breath control, pranayama, mudras etc., for this object, the jnani's
method is only that of inquiry.  When by this method the mind is merged in the Self, the Self, its sakti, or kundalini rises
automatically. 

Arunachala Siva.   

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #102 on: March 09, 2013, 10:28:12 AM »
18.09.1945:

Afternoon:

A group of Bengalis have come.  One of them has recently lost a child. He put the question to Bhagavan:  "Why did that child
die so young? Is it his karma or our karma that we should have this grief?"

Bhagavan:  The prarabdha which the child had to work out in this life was over and so it passed away. So we may call it the
child's karma. So far as you are concerned, it is open to you not to grieve over it, but to remain calm and unaffected by it
being convinced that the child was not yours but always only God's, that God gave and God took it away.  And in this connection,
Bhagavan took out the Yoga Vasishta in English to refer to the story of Punya and Pavana. Strange to say, when He actually opened
the book, it actually opened at the story He had in mind.  Apart from the book, He asked me to read out the portion where Punya advises his brother Pavana not to grieve foolishly over the death of their parents, pointing out that Pavana had had innumerable births in the past, in each one of which he had a number of relations and that exactly as he is not mourning for the death of all those relations now, he should not now mourn for he death of their father either.

The visitor asked, 'When a person dies while yet a child, and another lives long, which of them is the greater sinner?'

Bhagavan: I cannot say.

Arunachala Siva.

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #103 on: March 10, 2013, 12:43:09 PM »
06.10.1945:

It was reported to Bhagavan that somehow under cover of the leaves, two mangoes had escaped the notice of the monkeys
and had grown to quite a big size and that they were were discovered today, and that one was taken away by the monkeys
and the other left behind.

This made Bhagavan think of the expression 'ilai maRaivu' (under cover of leaves) and by association of ideas, He thought
of a verse in Prabhu Linga Leela, the 9th in MaruLa Sankara Dear Gathi.  He read to us a few stanzas where it is related
that once Marula Sankara was living like a madman near the place where leaf-plates, after eating, were thrown away in
front of the Math. Neither the head of the Math nor the disciples knew anything about this man. But when Allamma Prabhu
went that way, Marula got up and prostrated himself at his feet and Allamma Prabhu in turn took him up and embraced him.
For he knew the other's worth. Only a Jnani canrecognize a Jnani. Only who indulges in kriya, chariya, or yoga can be recognized
by these activities he goes through. But in the case of a Jnani, there is no such external thing by which we can recognize him.

Arunachala Siva.             

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #104 on: March 11, 2013, 12:54:50 PM »
08.10.1945:

Janaki, daughter of A. Subbaraydu, the Deputy Superintendent of Police of this place, asked Bhagavan:  "I want to do nama
smarana always.  But I am also keen on getting higher education.  (She is in the first year College class.)  What should I do?   

Bhagavan: There is nothing contradictory between the two desires.

Janaki: If I am always doing nama smarana, how can I carry on studies for which the mind is required?

Bhagavan did not answer. But Frydman and I told the girl:  "It was said both could be done at the same time. Frydman added
"Give the mind to the studies and the heart to God."

Arunachala Siva.