Author Topic: Day by Day with Bhagavan:  (Read 69700 times)

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
Re: Day by Day with Bhagavan:
« Reply #75 on: February 12, 2013, 10:12:42 AM »
18.06.1946:

Sri G.V. Subbaramiah translated the Arunachala Pancharatnam (Five Hymns) of Sri Bhagavan in English verse and showed it
to Sri Bhagavan.

Sri Bhagavan said: The third verse deals with the Sat aspect, the fourth with the Chit and the fifth with Ananda. The Jnani becomes
one with Sat or Reality, like the river merging in the ocean. The Yogi sees the light of Chit. The bhakta or Karma yogi is immersed
in the ocean of Ananda.

Arunachala Siva.   

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #76 on: February 13, 2013, 09:55:10 AM »
19.06.1946:

A newcomer called Gajendra Mehta asked Sri Bhagavan about the state of the soul after death. He has just returned from
Africa. He has been writing to Sri Bhagavan for four years but this is the first time he has come here.

Bhagavan: If you know the present, you will know the future. It is strange that people don't want to know about the present,
about whose existence no body can have any doubt, but are always eager to know about the past or the future, both of which
are unknown. What is birth and what is death? And who has birth or death? Why go to birth and death to understand what you
daily experience in sleeping and waking? When you sleep, this body and the world do not exist for you, and these questions do not
worry you, and yet you exist, the same you that exists now while waking. It is only when you wake up that you have a body
and see the world. If you understand waking and sleep properly you will understand life and death. Only waking and sleeping
happen daily, so people do not notice the wonder of it but only want to know about birth and death.

G. Mehta: Is there a rebirth?

Bhagavan: ....... If you ask who has the birth and whether birth and death are for you or for somebody distinct from you, then
you realize the truth and the truth burns up all karma and frees you from all births. Sanchita karma which would take countless
lives to exhaust, is burnt up by one little spark of Jnana, just as a mountain of gunpowder will be blown up by a single spark of fire.
It is the ego that is the cause of all the world and of the countless sciences whose researches are so great as to baffle description,
and if the ego is dissolved by inquiry all this immediately crumbles and the Reality or Self alone remains.

Arunachala Siva.     

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #77 on: February 14, 2013, 10:33:18 AM »
20.06.1946:

Gajendra Mehta continues.....

G. Mehta: If I am not the body am I responsible for the consequences of my good and bad actions?

Bhagavan: If you are not the body and do not have the idea 'I am the doer' the consequences of your good or bad actions
will not affect you. Why do you say abut the actions the body performs "I do this" or "I did that"?  As long as you identify
yourself with the body like that you are affected by the consequences of the actions and you have merit and demerit.

G. Mehta: Then I am not responsible for the consequences of good or bad actions?

Bhagavan: If you are not, why do you bother about the question?

G. Mehta: Then does that mean that if one has not the sense of 'I do this' or 'I am the doer', one need not do anything at all?

Bhagavan: The question of doing only arises if you are the body.

Arunachala Siva.       

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #78 on: February 15, 2013, 10:36:20 AM »
24.06.1946:

Lokamma sang Muruganar's benediction from Sarana Pallandu. When she finished Sri Bhagavan said: 'The last song she sang
can be translated for them', meaning the Maharani of Baroda and Mrs. Taleyarkhan. I accordingly gave the meaning of it:

May all those devotees with great love also live long, who, coming to Ramana, get their desires fulfilled and, planting His feet
in their heart, set all their troubles at rest and attain peace.

Explaining why He wanted me to translate it, Bhagavan said: Yesterday, Mrs. Taleyarkhan asked me to have the best poem about
me by Muruganar read out in the Hall, and translated the benediction in Tamizh, but I thought that VaNdu Vidu Thoothu - Sending
the bee as  messenger - so we read them out and translated them. And now Lokamma sang the benediction, and when she sang the
last verse, it occurred to me that they would like to hear it and it might be a consolation for them.

Arunachala Siva.         

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #79 on: February 16, 2013, 12:44:02 PM »
26.06.1946:

T.P. Ramachandra Iyer told Sri Bhagavan that he took only kanji (gruel) for lunch, as he had dysentery. Sri Bhagavan spoke
highly of the efficacy of a gruel made of rice, dried ginger, coriander, and rock salt and added: It seems that they are going to
give us all kanji (gruel) tomorrow morning, I am told Sama Thatha is going to prepare it. Somebody must have asked him to. People
do not realize how wholesome kanji is and how tasty.

Sri Bhagavan was then reminded of old Keerai Patti who used to gather all kinds of green vegetables and cook them somehow,
although she was half blind. It seems Sri Bhagavan would thoroughly enjoy it.....In those days, we would make kanji and one
aviyal with all the vegetables we had on hand. None of the fine dishes they make here today, can equal the simple fare we enjoyed
them. People do not realize the enjoyment of such a meal.

Arunachala Siva.     

ramanaduli

• View Profile
« Reply #80 on: February 17, 2013, 08:11:44 AM »

Dear Subramaniyan ji,

As the "I" arises from the Heart which is in right side, is that "MIND". That is ego. is not it?But people point the head.

Ramanduli

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #81 on: February 17, 2013, 08:40:19 AM »
Dear ramanaduli,

The 'I' which is the mind and also the ego (mind, ahankaram, buddhi, chittam - all are same) arise only from Heart. And not from
the head/brain.  The thoughts arising from mind are processed in the brain.

Arunachala Siva.

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #82 on: February 17, 2013, 11:26:17 AM »
27.06.1946:

T.V.K. told Sri Bhagavan, "Recently a man of the thengalai school (southern sect of Sri Vaishnavites) who is well versed in the
esoteric meaning of Vaishnavite literature, initiated me and gave me samasanam and sama asryam and taught me their esoteric
meaning. He gives discourses and does good work among the poor, but he would not admit vadakalais (northern sect of Sri
Vaishnavites) to his discourses; according to the Vaishnavite teaching one must do kainkaryam or service to God.'

Bhagavan replied rather sarcastically: So God can't get on without their services?  On the contrary, God asks, 'Who are you
to do service to Me? He is always saying, 'I am within you; who are you?' One must try to realize that and not speak of service.
Submission or surrender is the basic teaching of Vaishnavism. But it does not consist in paying a Guru a fee for initiation and telling
him that you have surrendered. As often one tries to surrender, the ego raises its head and one has to try to suppress it. Surrender
is not an easy thing. Killing the ego is not an easy thing. It is only when God Himself by His Grace draws the mind inwards that
complete surrender can be achieved.

Arunachala Siva.             

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #83 on: February 18, 2013, 01:09:10 PM »
27.06.1946:

Further Bhagavan added:  " They (Vaishnavites) hold that they must exist and God must exist, but how is that possible? It seems
that they must all remain for ever doing service in Vaikunta, but how many of them are to do service and where would there be
room for all these Vaishnavites?"

After a pause, He added further, 'On the other hand, Advaita does not mean that a man must always sit in samadhi and never engage
in action. Many things are necessary to keep up the life of the body, and action can never be avoided. Nor is bhakti ruled out in
Advaita. Sri Sankara is rightly regarded as the foremost exponent of Advaita, and yet look at the number of shrines he visited and
the devotional songs he wrote.'

Arunachala Siva.       

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #84 on: February 19, 2013, 10:40:29 AM »

In the afternoon Khanna's wife appealed to Sri Bhagavan in writing: I am not learned in the scriptures and I find the method of
Self enquiry too hard for me. I am a woman with seven children and a lot of household cares, and it leaves me little time for
meditation. I request Bhagavan to give me some simpler and easier method.

Bhagavan: No learning or knowledge of scriptures is necessary to know the Self, as no man requires a mirror to see himself.
All knowledge is required only to be given up eventually as not Self. Nor is household work or cares with children necessarily
an obstacle. If you can do nothing more, at least continue saying 'I','I', to yourself mentally all the time, as advised in Who am I?,
whatever work you may be doing and whether you are sitting, standing or walking. 'I' is the name of God. It is the first and the 
greatest of all mantras. Even OM is second to it.

Arunachala Siva,     

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #85 on: February 20, 2013, 10:34:13 AM »

On the 8th news had come of the death of Madhava Swami and Sri Bhagavan had spoken a good deal about it. In the evening,
Kunju Swami left for Kumbakonam, where the death took place, and this morning he returned. He said: 'It seems that about 20
days before his death, Madhavaswami left Kumbakonam saying he was coming here, but actually he took a ticket to Pazhani.
After staying there he seems to have gone to Palakkad and to his home village. Then he went to Tiruchy and stayed for a few
days with our Tirumala Chetty and from there returned to Kumbakonam about a week before his death. It seems that the whole
of this week he was saying, 'Wherever I go I feel wretched. I don't feel at ease anywhere. If I go to Ramanasramam they may not
allow me there, but having had the privilege of serving Bhagavan for so long I can no longer bear the burden of this body anywhere
else. I must throw it off.'

It seems that this thought was constantly with him and he went about moody and morose. The day before he died he was complaining
of indigestion but for a whole week his digestion had not been good.

Bhagavan asked what gave him indigestion.

Kunju Swami said: It seems to have been due to eating a mango. They never agreed with him. At about 4 on Sunday afternoon,
the 7th, he was offered some lunch but he refused it and asked for a bottle of soda water. Soon after that he perspired all over
and left his body, sitting in the padmasana posture.

Arunachala Siva.       

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #86 on: February 21, 2013, 02:03:54 PM »
16.07.1946:

Some of the Khairagarh party came and asked for permission from Bhagavan to go to Skandasramam. I told Bhagavan that yesterday,
Venkataramaiyar and I went with the Rani and Kamakshi and when we were at Virupaksha Cave, Venkataramaiyar told us that if
anyone sits there quietly by himself and listens, he hears the sound OM. I asked him whether he had ever heard it and he said
that he had not yet had the chance to try. So I now ask Sri Bhagavan whether it is true.

Bhagavan said: They say so.

I aksed: But did Bhagavan hear it? And then I corrected myself and added, 'But it is no use asking, because Bhagavan would hear
OM or the Pranava sound everywhere and it would not be due to the place if Bhagavan heard it there.'

Thereupon Bhagavan said: 'Why don't you go and find out for yourself? 

'Yes', I said. 'I want to go and see.   If a dunce like me has the experience then there can be no doubt that it is due to the
influence of the place.'

After a while, Bhagavan added, 'It is generally said that not only is the cave in the shape of OM but the sound OM is heard there.
Suddhananda Bharati mentions it in Sri Ramana Vijayam, in the Chapter entitled Guhan (Ch. 24).

Arunachala Siva.

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #87 on: February 22, 2013, 10:46:40 AM »
18.07.1946:

This morning questions were put by a visitor, by name S.P. Tayal.

S.P. Taayal: I have been doing sadhana for nearly 20 years and I can see no progress. What should I do?

Bhagavan: I may be able to say something  if I know what the sadhana is.

D: From about 5 O'clock every morning, I concentrate on the thought that the Self alone is real and all else unreal.
Although I have been doing this for about 20 years I cannot concentrate for more than two or three minutes without my
thoughts wandering.

Bhagavan: There is no other way to succeed than to draw the mind back every time it turns outwards and fix it in the Self.
There is no need for meditation or mantra or japa or dhyana or anything of the sort, because these are our real nature.
All that is needed to is to give up thinking of objects other than the Self. Mediation is not so much thinking of the Self as giving
up the not Self. When you give up thinking of outwards objects, and prevent your mind from going outwards and turn it inward
and fix it in the Self, the Self alone remains.

D: What should I do to overcome the pull of these thoughts and desires? How should I regulate my life so as to attain the control
over my thoughts?

Bhagavan: The more you get fixed in the Self, the more other thoughts will drop off by themselves. The mind is nothing but a
bundle of thoughts and the I-thought is the root of all of them. When you see who this 'I' is and whence it proceeds all thoughts
gets merged in the Self.

Arunachala Siva.     

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #88 on: February 23, 2013, 10:29:47 AM »

At this point ( after S.P. Tayal's questions), K.M. Jivrajani interposed, "Has one necessarily to pass through the stage of seeing
occult visions before attaining Self Realization?

Bhagavan: Why do you bother about visions and whether they come or not?

KMJ: I don't. I only want to know so that I shan't be disappointed if I don't have them.

Bhagavan: Visions are not a necessary stage. To some they come and to others they don't. But whether they come or not,
you always exist and you must stick to that.

Arunachala Siva. 

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #89 on: February 24, 2013, 09:37:14 AM »
19.07.1946:

A visitor inter alia asked: Will gayatri help? (to fix the mind in the Self)

Bhagavan: What is gayatri? It really means 'Let me concentrate on that which illumines all.'  Dhyana really means only concentrating
or fixing the mind on the objects of dhyana.  But meditation is our real nature.  If we give up other thoughts what remains is 'I'
and its nature is dhyana or meditation or jnana, whichever we choose to call it. What is at one time the means later becomes
the end. Unless meditation or dhyana were the nature of the Self it could not take you to the Self.  If the means were not of the
nature of the goal, it could not bring you to the goal.

Arunachala Siva.