Author Topic: Day by Day with Bhagavan:  (Read 69694 times)

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
Re: Day by Day with Bhagavan:
« Reply #180 on: May 26, 2013, 01:50:58 PM »
27.09.1945:

continues.....

At the foot we all sat with Him under a pipal tree around which there is a platform, close to Guhai Namasivaya's Cave.  Satakopa
Naidu of Bangalore had brought some puffed rice and ground  nuts.  All the crowd sat there with Sri Bhagavan and enjoyed
this picnic.   By the time it was getting dark, and we all started along the Hill track leading to the town through Guhai
Namasivaya's Cave and along the main road, and reached the Asramam about 8.30 pm.

It was a marvel that Sri Bhagavan did this trip all on foot in this way, the more so because His left leg big toe had become either
dislocated or badly sprained on 26.8.1945 and as a result thereof is still having some pain there. 

Since Sri Bhagavan left Skandasramam, He had gone there two or three times within a year or two after His settling down
here.  But after that, i.e for nearly twenty two years now, He has never gone there till today.  Sri Bhagavan was in great spirits
and all the way down to Skandasramam to Sri Ramanasramam, He had stopped once every few yards and related various
incidents and made remarks about some trees having disappeared in the interval and about some cracks in the Virupaksha
Cave, about the place where Jadaswami rolled stones down on Sri Bhagavan (though  Bhagavan could have it, it was all only
in fun), and about the heavy rain and storm that came on one night and displaced huge boulders and created a spring for
the convenience of Sri Bhagavan and His followers.

Arunachala Siva.                 

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #181 on: May 27, 2013, 02:32:18 PM »

06.10.1945:

It was reported to Sri Bhagavan that somehow under cover of the leaves, two mangoes had escaped the notice of the
monkeys and had grown to quite a big size and that they were discovered today, and that one was taken away by the
monkeys and the other left behind.  This made Sri Bhagavan think of the expression " ilai maRaivu" (under cover of leaves)
and by association of ideas, He thought of a verse in Prabhu Linga Leelai, the 9th in MaruLa Sankara Devar Gathi and read
out to us a few verses, where it is related that once MaruLa Sankara was living like a madman near the place where leaf-
plates, after eating, were thrown away in front of a Mutt.  Neither the head of the Mutt nor the disciples knew anything
about this man.  But when Allamma Prabhu went that way, MaruLa got up and prostrated himself at his feet and Allamma
Prabhu in turn took him up and embraced him.  For each knew the other's worth.  Only a Jnani can recognize a Jnani.
One who indulges in kriya, charya or yoga can be recognized by these activities which he goes through.  But in the case of
a Jnani there is no such external thing by which we can recognize him.

I note this incident, the more particularly because some who come here also sometimes have found it difficult to recognize
Sri Bhagavan's worth and have even asked me, 'What is there about this Bhagavan of yours which makes you think He is
a great man or a realized soul?  He eats and sleeps and does everything else like us.'

Arunachala Siva.                 

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #182 on: May 28, 2013, 02:34:48 PM »

Afternoon:

Mr. K. Mahatani asked in continuation of the above, 'If we want to succeed in any enterprise in the world, we must give
our whole mind and heart to it.  Otherwise we cannot succeed.  So it is rather impracticable to devote one's mind both
to God and worldly activity.'

Bhagavan:  If one keeps fixed in the Self, the activities will still go on and their success will not be affected. One should
not have the idea that one is the doer.  The activities will go on.  That force, by whatever name you may call it, which
brought the body into existence, will see to it that the activities which this body is meant to go through are brought about.

Mr. Mahatani was still not quite satisfied and thereupon Sri Bhagavan referred to him to read an article on renunciation
which is found at the end of the Gita Press edition of Bhagavad Gita.  This article mentions seven stages of renunciation and
Bhagavan said, 'Let Mr. Mahatani see if anything in this article appeals to him.'  I read out the whole article in the Hall for
the benefit of all, as Sri Bhagavan desired.  It is said that there that one who has reached the seventh stage of renunciation
will not even feel when his body is cut by a weapon or some other sufferings is inflicted on him.  When this portion was
being read, Sri Bhagavan remembered a poem.  The English meaning is:  They won't be afraid even if guileful enemies stab
their chest or they are surrounded by fire or bitten by a cobra, all will be bliss for them. 

This is found in Ponnambala Swami's commentary on Bhagavad Gita in Tamizh verses, Chapter VI, Verse 17.  Continuing this
topic, I said, 'It is true such things are said in the books.  But we see that the Jnani feels pain. Even one like Sri Ramakrishna
Paramahamsa felt pain when he had cancer of the throat and cried out, 'Why has mother sent this pain to me?'

Bhagavan:  It may be like that in the beginning due to long association or habit.  But afterwards, it will pass off.

In this connection, I must record that long ago, once when Sri Bhagavan was suffering from some illness and I expressed
concern, Sri Bhagavan was pleased to explain to me that He felt the pain as in a dream and no more.

Arunachala Siva.       

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #183 on: May 29, 2013, 01:46:57 PM »

Morning:

I came across the following on pages 110 and 111 in Letters to my friends, by Gilbert Henry Gedge in the September 1945,
issue of Science of Thought Review:

"Again, people sometimes ask me that when they are at work there is no time to be thinking about God.  Their mind has to
be 'on the job'.

'Now friend, I say to you once again that for all these different matters the remedy is the same. Seek first the kingdom
of God. When that is done all things all into their proper place and their proper perspective in our mind.  God is in you and
in all your circumstances now, and you and your own individual little world are in God now. Realization  of that fact involves
also the realization that all things in your life are in their right place and order, that the law of God rules your whole life and
circumstances.  Nothing whatever, can be excluded  from the rule of that law when we realize that our life is actually lived in
God.  Even when we are engaged in our daily work, it helps to think of God, to recognize His Presence with us, within and
around us and in our job.  It helps even more to see the job as God's work,  for when we do so, we find new and better ways
of doing it and are blessed in the doing.'

I read this out to Sri Bhagavan and He approved of it and even asked me to show it to Mr. Mahatani as bearing on last
evening's discourse.

Arunachala Siva.           

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #184 on: May 30, 2013, 02:55:32 PM »
11.10.1945:

Morning:

G.V. Subbaramayya arrived. Just then Bhagavan was reading a Telugu translation of His preface to Dakshinamurti
Stotra in Tamizh.  A few days ago P.C. Desai brought to Bhagavan's notice a Gujarati book on Dakshinamurti Stotra,
written by himself.  And in connection with it, Sri Bhagavan asked me to make for P.C. Desai's benefit an English translation
of Bhagavan's Tamizh preface to the Stotra.  The led Smt. Nagamma to make a Telugu translation.  Reading and explaining
the above Telugu translation, Bhagavan told G.V. Subbaramayya practically all that He had told Mr. P.C. Desai before. The
gist of it is this:

" Dakshinamurti, i.e. the Great Siva Himself could not express the truth of the one Reality except by Silence. But that silence
could not be understood except by the very advanced.  The others have to be told. And yet how is one to say in words,
that which God Himself could not express?  Sri Sankara therefore advises the method of praising Dakshinamurti and with
that as the ostensible object really seeks to explain that all is Brahman.  In the first four verses, he explains the nature of
the world and if it its (i.e. world's) nature is understood, the obstacle in the way of realizing the truth will be removed. In the
next four verses, he explains the nature of jiva.  Then he explains the connection between the two and teaches that all is
the Self. Trying to explain the scheme and gist of Sankara's Dakshinamurti Stotram, I wrote the above preface."               

Arunachala Siva.

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #185 on: May 31, 2013, 02:23:16 PM »
18.10.1945:

Morning:

A visitor from Punjab asked Sri Bhagavan:  'When I meditate I feel a certain bliss at times.  On such occasions, should
I ask myself 'Who is it that experiences this bliss.'?

Bhagavan:  If it is the real bliss of the Self that is experienced i.e if the mind has merged really in the Self, such a doubt
will not arise at all.  The question itself shows real bliss was not reached.

All doubts will cease only when the doubter and his source have been found.  There is no use removing doubts.  If we clear
one doubt, another will arise and there will be no end of doubts.  But if the doubter is found to be really non existent, by
seeking the source of the doubter, then all doubts will cease.

Visitor: Sometimes I hear internal sounds. What should i do when such things happen?

Bhagavan: Whatever may happen, keep up the inquiry into the Self asking, 'Who hears these sounds? till the reality is
reached.

A second edition of Sri Ramana, the Sage of Arunagiri, by Aksarajna has recently come out.  Sampling it here and there,
I did come across the passage that Sri Bhagavan blesses his disciples in various ways, the mild by sight, the middling by
thought, and the advanced by touch.  Once when I was reading Kaivalyam in Tamizh, I asked Sri Bhagavan: Many books
speak of Gurus blessing disciples or giving diksha by touching the head of disciples with their hands or feet.  How is it then
Sri Bhagavan never does any such thing? 

Sri Bhagavan then told me, "it is true the books mention three ways of diksha, viz., by sight, touch and thought.  But diksha
by thought is really the best.'  So I asked Sri Bhagavan today about the passage in Akshrajna's book saying, 'He also knew
Bhagavan well. He must have had some reason for saying so.' 

Sri Bhagavan said: 'I don't know',  and added,  'I might have touched some by accident or for other reasons, not with the
intention of giving diksha.'  In this connection, I may record on the authority of Mr. G.V. Subbaramayya's (who was present
when the incident took place) that some years ago, an old venerable, and distinguished looking ascetic from North India
was staying in the Asramam for about a month, that he used to repeat the entire Bhagavad Gita and that on the day of his
departure Sri Bhagavan touched him in the following circumstances.

Sri Bhagavan returned to the Hall after His morning stroll and sat on the couch. While His feet were still touching the
ground, the above ascetic fell at Sri Bhagavan's feet, his head almost touching Sri Bhagavan's feet and prayed  that
Sri Bhagavan should bless him with diksha by touch, adding that he would not get up till Sri Bhagavan did so.  Sri
Bhagavan thereupon was pleased to put one of His hands on the old man's head and lifted him with the other hand.

Arunachala Siva.                             

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #186 on: June 01, 2013, 01:53:29 PM »

19.10.1945:

Morning:

A barrister from Bombay asked Sri Bhagavan:  "I have read the works of Sri Bhagavan and others and, though I can understnd
them intellectually, I have not been able to realize anything in experience.  I have tried Bhagavan's method for about six years
and yet I have not made any progress.  When I meditate, other thoughts come.  For people like me, living in cities and doing
our work and coming here only occasionally, what Sadhana would Bhagavan advise so that we may succeed better than I
have been able to do?

Bhagavan:  Your real nature is always there, your meditation etc., come only temporarily.  Reality being your Self, there is
nothing for your to realize.  All that is required is that you should give up regarding the unreal as real, which is what we all
are doing.  The object of all meditation, dhayna or japa is only that, to give up all thoughts regarding not-Self, to give up
many thoughts and to keep to the one thought.

As for sadhana, there are many methods.  You may do Vichara, asking yourself, 'Who am I?' or if that does not appeal to you,
you may do dhyana 'I am Brahman' or otherwise, or you may concentrate on a mantra or name in japa.  The object is to make]the mind one-pointed, to concentrate it on the one thought and thus exclude our many thoughts, and if we do this, eventually
even that one thought will go and the mind will get extinguished in its source.

Visitor: In actual practice, I find I am not able to succeed in my efforts.  Unless Bhagavan's grace descends on me, I cannot
succeed.

Bhagavan: Guru's Grace is always there.  You imagine it is something, somewhere high up in the sky, far away, and has to
descend. It is really inside you, in your heart, and the moment (by any methods) you effect subsidence or merger of the mind
into its source, the grace rushes forth, sprouting as from a spring, from within you. 

Arunachala Siva.                   

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #187 on: June 03, 2013, 02:12:35 PM »

19.10.1945:

Morning:

continues.....

Another visitor asked:  What is the reality of this world?

Bhagavan:  If you know your reality first, you will be able to know the reality of the world.  It is a strange thing that  most
people do not care to know about their own reality, but are very anxious to know about the reality of the world. You realize
your own Self first and then see if the world exists independently of you and is able to come and assert before you its reality
or existence.

Another visitor asked, 'Why is there so much pain even for the innocent, such as children for instance?  How is it to be
explained?  With reference to previous births or otherwise?

Bhagavan: As about the world, if you know your own reality, these questions won't arise. All these differences, the pain and
miseries of the innocent, as you say, do they exist independently of you?  It is you that see these things and ask about them.
If by the enquiry, 'Who am I?' you understand the seer, all problems about the seen will be completely solved. 

Dr. Syed asked: 'If a person prays for spiritual good for say, two years, and yet is not answered, what should he do?

Bhagavan: It may be it is for his good that the prayer is not granted.

Arunachala Siva.         

Jewell

• Love,always love and only love
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: June 03, 2013, 05:04:05 PM »
Dear Sri Subramanian sir,

Dr. Syed asked: 'If a person prays for spiritual good for say, two years, and yet is not answered, what should he do?

Bhagavan: It may be it is for his good that the prayer is not granted.

These are beautiful words from Bhagavan. I have seen that in my own case,with all the things we think we want,or need,anything,with sufferings which happens to this ego. We cannot possible know what is best for "ourselves". It is truly a wonder. Later,we come to realise that all is the way it should be,the most beautiful and perfect way. His way. It looks like a long needed rest,indeed. Strugle stops,at least just for a moment,when that realisation occurs... And that is most important thing,because,when it happen once that we see this wonderful,magical show of God,our own struggle seems to be nothing,just pure imagination,and that knowing comes to take us whole,bit by bit..
He is taking care of us so beautifuly,that even pain is for own good,a true Blessings and wake up call from our own Soul,our True,Ever shining Self.

Then we truly can rest,and flow with Almighty River of Life.
Thank You,dear Sir!

With love and prayers,
« Last Edit: June 03, 2013, 05:08:21 PM by Jewell »

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #189 on: June 03, 2013, 05:23:46 PM »
Dear Jewell,

Yes. Even if intense prayers, one's request is not granted then we should take it that the prayer is not granted for our own good.

That is why Sri Bhagavan said that Nin ishtam En ishtam.  Your Will is my Will.  We should take whatever is God's Will and be
contented in life.  There is only beautiful verse in Tiruvachakam about it. I shall search for it and port.

Arunachala Siva. 

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #190 on: June 03, 2013, 05:35:58 PM »
Dear Jewell,

This is from Kuzhaitha Pathu., Decad on Melting:

Thou know'st what to DESIRE is meet,- when we DESIRE
Thou'rt He that wholly grants! To Ayan and to Mal
DESIRING Thee, how hard to reach! Yet me Thou didst
DESIRE, my service claim! DESIRING what didst Thou
Bestow Thy grace? That and naught else do I DESIRE!
And if aught else there be that stirs in me DESIRE!
That too, in sooth, is Thy DESIRE,- is it not so?

(*Ayan = Brahma; Mal = Vishnu)

The English of Dr. G.U. Pope is somewhat Victorian and cumbersome. Still one can understand.

I shall give the Tamizh original in the next post.

Arunachala Siva.

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #191 on: June 03, 2013, 05:40:16 PM »
Dear Jewell,

This is the original Tamizh verse of Kuzhaitha Pathu:

வேண்டத்தக்க தறிவோய்நீ வேண்டமுழுதுந் தருவோய்நீ
வேண்டும் அயன்மாற் கரியோய்நீ வேண்டி என்னைப் பணிகொண்டாய்
வேண்டி நீயா தருள்செய்தாய் யானும் அதுவே வேண்டின் அல்லால்
வேண்டும் பரிசொன் றுண்டென்னில் அதுவும் உன்றன் விருப்பன்றே. 501

Arunachala Siva.

Jewell

• Love,always love and only love
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: June 03, 2013, 09:18:57 PM »
Dear Sri Subramanian sir,

How beautiful verse! Truly,truly wonderful. I love it!

It Is little strange translation,it sounds that way. But,it is beautiful this way too.

Thank You so much,dear Sir!

With love and prayers,

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #193 on: June 04, 2013, 01:58:42 PM »
19.10.1945:

Afternoon:

Bhagavan related the following:  When my uncle Nelliappa Aiyar  came to see me I was in the Mango Tree Grove,
near Gurumoortham.  The direct and shortest route to that place from the Railway Station lay through a place where
a Swami (Mango Tree Swami) was living.  My uncle, meeting that Swami, and in his anxiety (because  I had come
directly from my school life and so could hardly know anything about religion or spiritual matters), inquired of the above
Swami whether I really knew anything in the path on which I had entered.  The Swami told my uncle that I knew nothing,
but was sitting with eyes closed in a firm and obstinate manner, doing some sort of hatha yoga. So my uncle, who had
a notion that could know anything of value in spiritual life without reading Vedanta Sastras, had a poor opinion of me
and felt only pity for me.  Later, when I was in Virupaksha Cave, one day I was explaining the fourth verse of Sri
Dakshinamurti Stotram to a young man who used  to come to me frequently and who had requested me to explain
the Stotra.

But, seeing my uncle had already learnt that I did not mind talking, I continued, the discourse. This convinced my uncle
that I knew a great deal which he thought I could not have known.

Arunachala Siva.     

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #194 on: June 05, 2013, 02:34:21 PM »

20.10.1945:

Sri Bhagavan told me that one morning, when He was sitting on the verandah of Virupaksha Cave, the words 'KarunaiyAl ennai
ANda nee' came to Him very insistently, but He took no special notice of them.  It seems the same thing happened the following
morning also.  Then Sri Bhagavan composed the first verse of Arunachala Padigam.  The next morning the words beginning the
second verse similarly came to Him and He composed the second verse.  And so it went on everyday, until the last two verses
were composed on one day.  On that day, after composing the two last verses, Bhagavan, it seems started for giri pradakshina.
One of His disciples, Ayyaswami, brought a piece of paper and pencil and told another disciple who was going with Sri
Bhagavan, 'Bhagavan has been composing one verse every morning for some days now, and today He has composed two
verses. More may come to Him today. In case they do, have this paper and pencil with you, and the same may be recorded.'

And on way round the Hill, Sri Bhagavan actually composed the first six verses of the Arunachala Ashtakam. It seems Echammal
first got the Akshara Mana Malai published, and later Narayana Reddy.  This Narayana Reddy came to know of the Padigam and
Ashtakam and wanted to publish them.  Then Bhagavan composed two more verses for completing the Ashtakam.  And the
Padigam and Ashtakam were published by Narayana Reddy.  This is how the Padigam and Ashtakam in the Five Hymns on
Arunachala came to be composed.

contd.,

Arunachala Siva.