Author Topic: Day by Day with Bhagavan:  (Read 39848 times)

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
Day by Day with Bhagavan:
« on: December 04, 2012, 12:35:13 PM »
Day By Day entry dated 22.03.1946 continued....

Swami Sambuddananda continued:

'It is all right to say Self analysis is the best thing to do. But in practice, we find a God is necessary for most people.'

B: God  is of course necessary, for most people. They can go with one, till they find out that they and God are not different.

The Swami continued...

'In actual practice, sadhakas, even the sincere ones, sometimes dejected and lose faith in God. How to restore their faith?
What should  we do for them?'

Bhagavan: If one cannot believe in God, it does not matter.  I suppose he believes in himself, in his own existence. Let him
find out the Source from which he came.   

Swami: Such a man will only say that the source from which he came comes are his parents.

Bhagavan: He cannot be such an ignoramus, as you started by saying, he was a Sadhaka in this line already.

Arunachala Siva.         

atmavichar100

• View Profile
Re: Day by Day with Bhagavan:
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2012, 02:36:24 PM »
Swami: Such a man will only say that the source from which he came comes are his parents.

Bhagavan: He cannot be such an ignoramus, as you started by saying, he was a Sadhaka in this line already.

:)
However many holy words you read, however many you speak, what good will they do you if you do not act on upon them? - Buddha

Balaji

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2012, 11:36:27 PM »

24-03-1946

I referered to Swami Sambudhanda's last question, what to do with those who have lost faith in God and who, if asked to find out their source, may say,"Our parents are the source from which we spring."

Bhgavan:  Fancy a man saying our source is our parents.

I asked , But What about a pure materialist, who does not believe in God.  How are we to deal with him?"

Bhagavan:  He will come gradually, step by step, to find out the source of "I".  First, adversity will make him feel that there is  a power beyond his control, upsetting his plans.  Then, he will begin  with rituals, ceremonial worship and through japa, kirtan, dhyana and go on to vichara.
Om Namo Bagavathe Sri Ramanaya

Balaji

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2012, 12:03:19 AM »
10-04-1946  Afternoon

Narayanaswamy Aiyar's daughter, married to our Sundaresa Aiyar's s on , sang a few songs and then related the following miracle:

"In Cawnpore, we are living on the third floor of a house and we are the only residents on that floor.   We have a tap there, but water rarely rises up to  that level and we have daily to go down several flights of stairs and climb up with all the water necessary for us.   My Husband used to do this work daily for me.  It was too much for him.   And I was too weak to be able to help him in this daily task.   One day, when I was alone in the house and my husband was in his office.   I was pondering over this hard situation of ours and how were to find a solution for this.   I had kept the empty vessel before the tap and was singing in a pensive mood.   Then I began singing the song Sarangati.(This is a song well-known among Bhagavan's devotees.  It was composed by M.V.Ramaswami Iyer and is sung by him and the members of his family whenever they want Bhagavan to interpose and avert evil from them or bring them good).   It says in brief, 'We take shelter under you and you are our sole refuge.   Who else is there to whom we can turn? If you delay to come to our rescue, we can bear it no longer.   So, come at once, end my misery and give me happiness!')  Then the water began to trickle down the tap and kept on flowing more as I went on with the song.   So I sang the song till all our vessels were filled with water.   When my husband  returned home, he was surprised to find so much water and could not conceive how I could have got all that water.  Then I told him, 'I have discovered now a secret device for getting water.   If I sing Sarangati  I can get water,'  My husband naturally could not believe it and so I tried the same device again in his presence and the water flowed from the tap.   Ever since then my water problem has ceased.   I had only to sing Saranagati, and water will flow from the tap.   I have tried other songs, but they don't given the same result.   Afterwards, when I fell ill and father came to see me, I told him about this and he too could not believe it till I again repeated the experiment before him and he saw it succeeded.   He asked me to try other songs.   I did , but none of them produced the same result."  The girl told all this with great glee and there was such a ring of truth about the whole narration that I consider it would be absurd to doubt the truth  of the experience.

from the Boundless Ocean of Grace.  Vol.V

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2012, 09:16:07 AM »
Dear Balaji,

This Saranagati song of Ramaswami Iyer is quite famous. The Cawnpore incident is one such miracle produced by Saranagati Song.

Arunachala Siva.

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2012, 11:29:31 AM »
10.10.1946:

Sri Bhagavan also related today that on the morning of the day after His arrival He had His first meal at Tiruvannamalai.
Apparently, He ate nothing at all on the first day. He said: The next day, I was walking up and down in the sixteen pillared
mantapam in front of the Temple. Then a Mouni Swami who used to be living in the old days in the Kambathu Ilayanar Temple,
came there from the Temple. Another Palani Swami, a well built man with long matted hair who used to do a lot of service,
by cleaning and clearing the temple, precincts with the help of a band of sannyasins also came to the sixteen pillared
mantapam from the town. Then the Mouni looking at me, a stranger here, being in a hungry and exhausted condition, made
signs to the above Palani Swami that I should be given some food. Thereupon, the above Palani Swami went and brought
some cold rice in a tin vessel which was all black, with a little salt strewn on top of rice. That was the first bhiksha which
Arunachaleswara gave me!

The moment you summoned me to the heart and gave me
your life to live, that moment I lost my old life, O Arunachala!  AAMM 95.

Arunachala Siva.     

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2012, 10:35:32 AM »

Q: Is liberation to be achieved before the dissolution of the body or can it be had after death? What is the meaning of a verse
like II.72 or VIII 6 of Gita?

Bhagavan: Is there death for you? For whom is death? The body which dies, were you aware of it? Did you have it during sleep?
The body was not, when you slept, but You existed even then. When you awoke, you got the body and even in the waking state
You exist. You existed both in sleep and waking. But the body did not exist in sleep and exists only in waking. That which does not
exist always but exists at one time and not at another cannot be real. You exist always and you alone are therefore real.

Liberation is another name for You. It is always here and now with you. It has not to be won or reached hereafter or somewhere.
Christ has said, 'The Kingdom of God is within you' here and now. You have no death. Tayumanavar has sung: Even when living
in the world those who are always in nishta do not think there is such a thing as death.

The Gita verse only means in the context of the whole Gita. (Ch II for instance) that you must achieve liberation during your life time.
Even if you fail to do it during your lifetime, you must think of god at least at the time of death, since one becomes what he thinks of
at the time of death. But unless all your life you have been thinking of God, unless you have accustomed yourself to dhyana of 'God
always during life, it would not at all be possible for you think of God at the time of death.

Arunachala Siva.           

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2012, 10:42:20 AM »
This is the Taumanavar verse (Karunakarak Kadavul - Verse 7), quoted by Sri Bhagavan, as in my immediately
preceding post.

சந்ததமும் வேதமொழி யாதொன்று பற்றினது
      தான்வந்து முற்றுமெனலால்
   சகமீ திருந்தாலும் மரணமுண் டென்பது
      சதாநிட்டர் நினைவதில்லை
சிந்தையறி யார்க்கீது டோதிப்ப தல்லவே
      செப்பினும் வெகுதர்க்கமாம்
   திவ்யகுண மார்க்கண்டர் சுகராதி முனிவோர்கள்
      சித்தாந்த நித்யரலரோ
இந்த்ராதி தேவதைகள் பிரமாதி கடவுளர்
      இருக்காதி வேதமுனிவர்
   எண்ணரிய கணநாதர் நவநாத சித்தர்கள்
      இ¢ரவிமதி யாதியோர்கள்
கந்தருவர் கின்னரர்கள் மற்றையர்கள் யாவருங்
      கைகுவித் திடுதெய்வமே
   கருதரிய சிற்சபையி லானந்த நிர்த்தமிடு
      கருணா கரக்கடவுளே. 7.

Arunachala Siva.

Balaji

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2012, 02:56:05 PM »
15-04-1946 Morning

Proper Pradakshina

Ribhu Gita (3rd Chapter, 39th verse)

Reflecting “I am the all blissful Self”
Is worship as with words and flowers
True circumambulation is the the thought
“In me the million universes roll”,
He who knows all beings bow to him
And he to none,
He bows before the Mahalinga Self.

From the Boundless Ocean of Grace Vol.V

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2012, 03:09:05 PM »
Dear Balaji,

Yes. It is usual for devotees who come inside the Hall to prostrate to Sri Bhagavan once. But this practice became somewhat
comical when devotees like Tenammal, Shantammal and Kanakammal started going around  (pradakshina) of Old Hall!  This
created nuisance for others, because the windows were open, and when these devotees cross over the windows, their appearances
became disturbing for people inside the Hall. At that time, Sri Bhagavan quoted this Ribhu Gita verse that one should circumambulate
the Self within and not do these pranks. Of course, He approved pradakshina of Arunachala, since it represents Atma.

Arunachala Siva.     

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2012, 10:22:20 AM »
08.05.1946:

(a part)

A Sadhu from North India: Am I to keep on repeating 'Who am I?' so as to make a mantra of it?

Bhagavan: No. 'Who am I?' is not a mantra. It means that you must find out where in you arises the I-thought which is
the source of all other thoughts. But if you find this Vichara marga too hard for you, you can go on repeating "I,I" and that
will lead you to the same goal. there is no harm in using 'I' as a mantra. It is the first name of God.

God is everywhere. But it is difficult to conceive Him in that aspect, so the books have said, 'God is everywhere. He is also
within you. You are Brahman.'   So remind yourself 'I am Brahman'. The repetition of 'I' will eventually lead you to realize
'I am Brahman.'

Arunachala Siva.   

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2012, 10:47:49 AM »
08.05.1946:

A young man  called Krishna Jivrajani from Karachi said, 'When I reach the thoughtless state in my sadhana, I enjoy a certain
pleasure, but sometimes I also experience a vague fear which I cannot properly describe.'

Bhagavan: You may experience anything. But you should never rest content with that. Whether you feel pleasure or fear, ask
yourself who feels the pleasure or the fear, and so carry on the sadhana, until pleasure and fear are both transcended and all
duality ceases and the Reality alone remains.

There is nothing wrong in such things happenings or being experienced, but you must never stop at that. For instance, you must
never rest content with the pleasure or laya experienced when the thought is quelled but must press on until all duality ceases.

Arunachala Siva.         

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2012, 08:36:45 AM »
03.07.1946:

Bhagavan: In a sense, speaking of Self Realization is a delusion. It is only because people have been under the delusion
that the non-Self is the Self and the unreal is the Real, that they have to be weaned out of it by the other delusion called Self
Realization. Because actually the Self is always the Self and there is no such thing as realizing it. Who is to realize what?, and how?,
when all that exists is the Self and nothing but the Self?

Visitor: Sri Aurobindo says the world is real and you and the Vedantins say it is unreal. How can the world be unreal?

Bhagavan: The Vedantins do not say the world is unreal. That is a misunderstanding. If they did, what would be meaning of the
Vedantic text: 'All this is Brahman.'?  They only mean that the world is unreal as a world, but is real as the Self. If you regard the
world as not-Self it is not real.  Everything, whether you call it world or maya or lila or sakti, must be apart from the sakta.

Arunachala Siva.   

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 11, 2012, 10:19:18 AM »
03.07.1946:

A visitor said: I am told that according to your school, I must find out the source of my thoughts. How am I do it?

Bhagavan: I have no school. However it is true that one should trace the source of all thoughts.

Visitor: Suppose I have the thought 'horse' and try to trace its source; I find that it is due memory and the memory in its turn
is due to prior perception of the object 'horse' but that is all.

Bhagavan: Who asked you to think about all that? All those are also thoughts. What good will it do you to go on thinking about
memory and perception? It will be endless, like the old dispute, which came first, the tree or the seed. Ask who has this perception
and memory, whence does it arise? Find out that. Because perception or memory or any other experience only comes to that 'I'.
You don't have such experiences during sleep, and yet you say you existed during sleep. And you exist now too. That shows
that the 'I' continues while other things come and go.

Visitor: I am asked to find out the source of 'I', and in fact that is what I want to find out, but how can I? What is the source from
which I came?

Bhagavan: You came from the same source in which you were during sleep. Only during sleep you couldn't know where you entered.
That is why you must make the inquiry while waking.

Some of us advised the visitor to read Who am I? and Sri Ramana Gita and Sri Bhagavan also told him that he might do so.
He did so during the day and in the evening he said to Bhagavan: 'These books prescribe Self Inquiry, but how can one to do it?

Bhagavan: That also must be described in the books.

Visitor: Am I to concentrate on the thought 'Who am I?'

Bhagavan: It means you must concentrate to see where the I-thought arises. Instead of looking outwards, look inwards and see where
the I-thought arises.

Visitor: And Bhagavan says that if I see that, I shall realize the Self?

Bhagavan: There is no such thing as realizing the Self. How is one to realize or make real what is already real? People all realize
or regard as real, what is unreal, and all they have to do is to give that up. When you do that you will remain as you always are and
the Real will be Real. It is only to help people give up regarding the unreal as real that all the religions and the practice taught
by them have come into being.

Arunachala Siva.               

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 12, 2012, 09:31:22 AM »
06.06.1946:

In the afternoon, G.V.S. (G.V. Subbaramiah) asked: 'What is the difference between manasa japa and dhyana?

Sri Bhagavan:  They are the same. In both, the mind is concentrated on one thing, the mantra or the Self. Mantra, Japa, Dhyana
-- are only different in names. So long as they require effort we call them by these names, but when the Self is realized, this goes
on without any effort and what was the means becomes the goal.

Arunachala Siva.