Author Topic: Karthigai Deepam today - Its Significance  (Read 14297 times)

atmavichar100

• View Profile
Karthigai Deepam today - Its Significance
« on: November 27, 2012, 12:45:03 PM »
Thirukarthigai - Recipes - Why & How do we celebrate Karthigai Deepam
Source :http://www.subbuskitchen.com/2009/11/thirukarthigai-recipes-karthigai-deepam.html#.ULR1b2f4LV4

Thirukarthigai/Karthigai Deepam comes on the tamil month Karthigai on Pournami day(Full moon day). Throughout the month lamps are lit in the front of the house in the evening . On the Thirukarthigai/Karthigai Deepam day the whole house is decorated with the oil lamps. Thiruvannamalai is famous for Thirukarthigai/Karthigai Deepam. This year, Thiru Karthigai falls on Tue 27th Nov 2012.

Story behind Karthigai
Once Brahma and Vishnu due to the ego started arguing with each other " who is the greatest". Both claimed to be the greatest, instead of doing their duty. At that time the God Shiva appeared in the form of fire and told them whoever finds the top or bottom of the fire is the greatest. Brahma took the form of Annam (a bird) and tried to find the top of the frle pillar. Vishnu took the form of Varaha( giant pig) and tried to see the bottom of the pillar. As the God has no limit in his size or power, both of them could not see either top or bottom of the fire. When their ego went down and they prayed the God, He appeared before them. The day in which the God appeared as a pillar of fire is Thirukarthigai/Karthigai Deepam.

Lord Shiva appeared as a hill (Arunachala Hill) at Tiruvannamalai in Tamil Nadu. Indeed, the very names `Tiruvannamalai' and `Arunachala' translate as `holy fire hill.' The Shivalinga in the temple here is the agni linga. The tiny lamps lit during the Karthigai festival (Karthigai Deepam) are believed to be the miniature replicas of the fire linga. Every year thousands of devotees from Chennai and elsewhere flock to Tiruvannamalai to see the spectacular Karthigai Deepam there.
This vradha indicates the non measurable infiniteness of the God and shows that the God is the light that will drive away our ignorance. Lamps are lit in the houses to pray His "Jyothi Swarupam".

First day of this festival is called as "Appakarthigai" and the second day is called as "vadai karthigai". All devotees will offer pori,adhirasam,vella Seedai, vetrilai pakku,fruits as neivedhyam for God Shiva.

In down South of Tamilnadu and in Kerala, Hindus will pray god for goodness of their brothers and they will light a elephant lamp(Gajalakshmi Vilaku) which marks as a sign of prosperity and wealth. The story behind lighting elephant lamp(Gajalakshmi Vilaku) is given below.

Why we light Elephant lamp on Karthigai ?

Once upon a time there lived a King and he had only one daughter. She loved an elephant which grew with her and she considered the elephant as her own brother. After her marriage she missed her brother elephant very much. So for every Thirukarthigai/Karthigai deepam occasion, she will light elephant lamp(Gajalakshmi vilaku) and she will prepare tender coconut, elephant leg size milagu Milagu Adai, Pori,Adhirasam,Vella Seedai and keep them as neivedhyam for this festival.

Karthigai Recipies

« Last Edit: November 27, 2012, 12:51:01 PM by atmavichar100 »
However many holy words you read, however many you speak, what good will they do you if you do not act on upon them? - Buddha

atmavichar100

• View Profile
Re: Karthigai Deepam today - Its Significance
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2012, 12:51:54 PM »
Karthigai Deepam at house ( from the above source )

However many holy words you read, however many you speak, what good will they do you if you do not act on upon them? - Buddha

atmavichar100

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2012, 12:56:38 PM »
Kartigai Deepam by Swami Sivananda

ON THE full moon day of the month of Kartigai (November-December) which falls on the ascension of the Kritigai star, the Hindus celebrate the Kartigai Deepam. It is on this day that the huge beacon is lit on the holy hill Arunachala, in South India.

Once Lord Shiva assumed the form of a hill at Tiruvannamalai in South India. Here He quelled the pride of Brahma and Vishnu who were quarelling as to their relative greatness. One day, when Lord Shiva was in meditation, Parvati left Him and went to the hill of Arunachala. There She performed penance. She was the guest of the sage Gautama. It was during Her penance here that Mahishasura was killed by Durga hidden by Parvati. Parvati saw Shiva as Arunachalesvara. She was taken back by the Lord to His side, and made His Ardhangini once more, that is, She occupied half of the body of the Lord.

Arunachalesvara is Tejo Lingam. Arunachala or the Tiruvannamalai Hill is the place that represents the fire element. (The five elements are represented by five holy places in India.)

When the light on the top of the Tiruvannamalai Hill is unveiled on the Kartigai Deepam day, people see the big light and worship it. They recite again and again in a loud voice “Harohara”. The esoteric meaning is that he who sees the light of lights that is burning eternally in the chambers of his heart through constant meditation attains immortality. The light on the Arunachala brings the message to you that the Self or Lord Shiva is self-effulgent, He is the light of lights.

On the Kartigai Deepam day in South India, people make bonfires in front of temples in the evening. It is said that Lord Shiva burnt the chariots of several demons who were torturing sages and celestials. This bonfire symbolises this legend.

People place rows of earthen lamps in front of their houses on the evening of Kartigai Deepam and worship the Lord. They also light a variety of fireworks.

Annihilate the three impurities, namely, egoism, selfish action and delusion. Burn the mind, senses and the desires in the fire of knowledge of the Self or Shiva-Jnanam. Attain full illumination and behold the light of lights, which illumines the mind, intellect, sun, moon, stars, lightning and the fire. This is real Kartigai Deepam.
May the light of lights illumine you all! May Lord Shiva bless you with more light! May you merge in this supreme light and attain the eternal abode of bliss and immortality!

(pgs. 42-44, Hindu Fasts and Festivals by Swami Sivananda )

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2012, 01:25:34 PM »
Dear atmavichar100,

Nice description about Kartigai  Mahadeepam. Today at around 6.00 pm Light will be lighted on the summit of Arunachala
Hill, a Light for which gods were waiting to see. In Sri Ramanasramam also, Deepam will be lighted as soon as the light
at the summit is seen. It will be a wonderful sight.

The back ground story about Siva standing as a huge column of light and Vishnu and Brahma trying to find the bottom and top
has been described in the book Arunachala Mahatmyam.

Arunachala Siva.   

Jewell

• Love,always love and only love
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2012, 02:50:11 PM »
Dear Atmavichar100, Thank You Very much for Beautiful post and description and meaning of this Beautiful festival. You have so many creative and inspirative celebrations. Wonderful! May Lord Shiva's Light illumine us All, And may His fire burn our ignorance! Also, Thank You for wonderful recepies! I like most Vella Seedai. :)

atmavichar100

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2012, 03:57:15 PM »
live relay of Karthigai Deepam Celebrations at Sri Ramanasramam available in our website. Kindly visit the link
http://www.sriramanamaharshi.org/videolive/

Date: 27.11.2012

Timings:
4.30 PM (IST) to 6.30 PM (IST)

Nagaraj

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2012, 04:44:31 PM »

ॐ असतो मा सद्गमय ।
तमसो मा ज्योतिर्गमय ।
मृत्योर्मा अमृतं गमय ।
ॐ शान्तिः शान्तिः शान्तिः ॥

Om asathOmA sadhgamaya
thamasO mA jyOthirgamaya
mRthyOrmAamRutham gamaya
Om shAnthi shAnthi shAnthih

Lead me from the asat to the sat.
Lead me from darkness to light.
Lead me from death to immortality.
Om Peace Peace Let there be Peace

॥ शांतमात्मनि तिष्ट ॥
Remain quietly in the Self.
~ Vasishta

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2012, 05:24:08 PM »
Dear Nagaraj and others,

Mahadeepam to see which gods and goddesses were waiting in heavens was seen by my mortal eyes, at 5.57 PM this evening
in Jaya TV and also the Webcam of Graham Body. In fact, the close up view of the Hill showed the Mahadeepam along with Full
Moon nicely.

Arunachala Siva.

Jewell

• Love,always love and only love
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2012, 05:35:46 PM »
Dear Sri Subramanian sir, Wonderful!! :) That is something which need to be seen.

atmavichar100

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2012, 05:41:30 PM »
Dear Nagaraj and others,

Mahadeepam to see which gods and goddesses were waiting in heavens was seen by my mortal eyes, at 5.57 PM this evening
in Jaya TV and also the Webcam of Graham Body. In fact, the close up view of the Hill showed the Mahadeepam along with Full
Moon nicely.

Arunachala Siva.

Yes Subramaniam Sir ,I watched it in Pothigai TV . Today is also a day of celebration .Harikesa Nallur Venkataraman said in Pothai TV during the live telecast that when there is lot of celebration in the house neighbors  ask "what is new happening in this house : is it Kalyanam ( Marriage ) or Karthigai "? So Karthigai is celebrated like a Kalyanam i.e like a Marriage .
Fortunately in Sanathana Dharma we have lot of festivals to get rejuvenated and start fresh and Karthigai is one such festival and after coming in contact with Bhagwan Ramana and Arunachala we have a different approach to looking at this festival .

Om Peace .

Nagaraj

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2012, 05:47:57 PM »
Sri Atmavichar, Subramanian Sir,

I too was just so happy to watch the live program and felt the same, how many festivals we have, really wonderful

॥ शांतमात्मनि तिष्ट ॥
~ Vasishta

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2012, 05:51:57 PM »
Dear Nagaraj,

The Jaya and Pothigai TV did a wondefrul job. Graham's webcam also showed the Mahadeepam. In the Asrmaam, they
were showing the Mahadeepam, singing Aruchala Stuti Panchakam.

Arunachala Siva. 

Nagaraj

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2012, 05:52:58 PM »
Sir, yes, I was tuned both from TV and Ashram Site.

Morover, Murugan is special for drAvida people, the southindians, no matter who one is, what ones faith is, Murugan is found in core of everybody's heart.

Murugan is very special to me, Murugan is wonderful, His tatvam His Beauty, His pranks, His brilliance, everything about Murugan is so sweet. The very name Muruga is so sweet.

॥ शांतमात्मनि तिष्ट ॥
~ Vasishta

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 27, 2012, 06:16:06 PM »
Dear Nagaraj, atmavichar100,

After watching the Mahadeepam, I was only remembering Manikkavachagar's Arut Pathu, Verse 1 in Tiruvachakam:

சோதியே சுடரே சூழொளி விளக்கே
சுரிசூழற் பணைமுலை மடந்தை
பாதியே பரனே பால்கொள்வெண்ணீற்றாய்
பங்கயத் தயனுமா லறியா
நீதியே செல்வத் திருப்பெருந்துறையில்
நிறைமலர்க் குருந்தமே வியசீர்
ஆதியே அடியேன் ஆதரித் தழைத்தால்
அதெந்துவே என் றரு ளாயே. 458

O Jyoti! O the Effulgence! O the Light with surrounding brightness!
O the concorporate of Uma with curly hair, and well formed breasts tightly held in blouse!
O Lord, Who wears milk Vibhuti all over the body!
O the Justice, who cannot be fathomed by lotus residing Brahma and Vshnu!
O Lord of Tiruperundurai! Who appeared to me under Kuruntai tree!
O the Primordial! If I call you, help me, hep me! will you not come saying,
'What is it? Why are you afraid, I am here!
And then bless me and grace me!

Arunachala Siva.