Author Topic: Advaita, Ramana, and Kashmir Shaivism.  (Read 2952 times)

OmNamahShivaya

• View Profile
Advaita, Ramana, and Kashmir Shaivism.
« on: November 27, 2012, 06:24:25 AM »
Namaste,

I have been reading about Advaita and also Kashmir Shaivism. I am drawn to the nondual nature of the teachings. I am confused however on which path is best for me. I do not know which one I should choose and or if I have to choose any. Learning about traditions sometimes can not be so good. I feel like I do not know which one I want to follow in order to find who I am. There is much a pull towards Kashmir Shaivism, because I am interesting in the way it teaches, yet I am still drawn to Advaita.

Just a few questions

I hear that Advaita may sometimes be viewed as life denying. (I think this is due to only those who fail to attain the teachings of Advaita). Some view that it is not as alive as Kashmir Shaivism that sees the universe as Shakti and divine Chitti. Is it true that many of the Advaitic teachings were renunciate and ot really for the householder? Or is this not true.

I enjoy the Kashmir Shaivite view that everything is Consciousness. It seems to accept all and the subtle energies as well to be consciousness. These teachings draw me, but I still am intrigued by Advaita. I enjoy the worship of Shiva and chanting mantras and also doing pujas. These are some of the reasons I am drawn to Kashmir Shaivism. I still am drawn to teachers like Ramana who indeed spoke with an advaitic tongue. I do not know what to do.

I find the two views on maya are interesting. I feel like I enjoy the Kashmir Shaivism view. I think it might be the positive and upbeat way of teaching of Reality.

Anyways I feel like I am wasting time with these mental plays, but at the same time my heart is unresolved without choosing a system to commit to.

Any advice would be appreciated

Om Namah Shivaya

sanjaya_ganesh

• View Profile
Re: Advaita, Ramana, and Kashmir Shaivism.
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2012, 08:24:55 AM »
Dear OmNamahShivaya

This is a typical brain heart conflict. I would suggest that go with what your heart says. It is possible that brain does logical analysis and finds Advaitha or something else as a "logical conclusion". But as a sincere sadhaka, I can tell you that brain will soon switch gears and tell you something else when it finds something even better after another analysis. Such a journey will only take you in so many different directions. So the best is to go with what your heart says and your heart can easily focus on. Focus to stay thoughtless on THAT ONE is the goal of any path you choose. So it is best to choose the path pointed by your heart as you do this journey not through your brain. Any path - dont worry - as long as goal is the same.

My humble musings,
Sanjay
Salutations to Bhagawan

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2012, 10:56:43 AM »
Dear Om Namasivaya,

1. Kashmiri 'Saivism is no doubt old and ancient, but keeps only Siva-Sakti as Supreme Power. There is no concept of Brahman, a formless
and nameless Supreme Consciousness in that sect.

2. Advaita is not Siva worship. You can worship Krishna and also practice Advaita. Krishna when he becomes formless and nameless he becomes Brahman.

3. Kashmir Saivism believed in sacrifices (bali) to attain some siddhic powers. They were even giving human sacrifices.
Advaita does not recommend these practices since it is not interested in siddhic powers. 

4. Advaita is not even a philosophy. It is an experience. It is not a religion, it is again an experience.

5. Maha Periyava said: We are applying vibhuti and do Siva Puja only to distinguish ourselves from the followers of
qualified non dualists and dualists. (in his interview to Aldous Huxley.)

Arunachala Siva. 

OmNamahShivaya

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2012, 05:41:00 AM »
Namaste,

This is a typical brain heart conflict. I would suggest that go with what your heart says. It is possible that brain does logical analysis and finds Advaitha or something else as a "logical conclusion". But as a sincere sadhaka, I can tell you that brain will soon switch gears and tell you something else when it finds something even better after another analysis. Such a journey will only take you in so many different directions. So the best is to go with what your heart says and your heart can easily focus on. Focus to stay thoughtless on THAT ONE is the goal of any path you choose. So it is best to choose the path pointed by your heart as you do this journey not through your brain. Any path - dont worry - as long as goal is the same.

Thank you Sanjay. I think you are right about the journey taking me in many different directions. I think I have already experienced this in a more grosser form from other religions until I stumbled upon Sanatana Dharma. I am afraid that this will happen in Sanatana Dharma and thus I will wander aimlessly until my own death. I will have to put my heart in and find the Absolute.

Thanks again

So everyone has a set of ideas which he or she likes because those ideas help him or her to find a trance like state of bliss. Basically whats happening is simply hypnotic ... those set of ideas are somehow drawing from the internal Source of Bliss thats Your Very Nature. We can get into the details of this if you want, but right now you can yourself inquire into it. So that Source of Bliss ... lets find that !! Not the kashmiri saivism ideas nor the visishtadvaitic ideas !! Seek the source from which these ideas are Drawing that Bliss which you really "Enjoy" :)

Thank you Tushnim.Asanam. This advise seems very practical. Like I mentioned in my initial post, I feel like my mind wandering on these issues is a waste of time. I will try to find the source of the bliss that I find from studying these teachings.

3. Kashmir Saivism believed in sacrifices (bali) to attain some siddhic powers. They were even giving human sacrifices.
Advaita does not recommend these practices since it is not interested in siddhic powers. 

Thank you Subramanian. Do you have any sources on this? I have heard of this before. Is this something attributed to Kashmir Shaivism or another Tantra path? I love Ramana's view that the best Siddhi is Self Realization. I think disappearing and levitating probably will not change my samsara. Thank you for the feed back. I would like to hear more about this claim, but perhaps I should just seek the source as was suggested so that I dont continue in my mental play of chewing philosophies, but never swallowing their essence.

Arunachala Shiva

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2012, 09:32:34 AM »
Dear OmNamahShivaya,

Yes. You are correct. Both in Tantric path and Kashmiri Saivism, there are sacrifices. But in Tantra, I think there is no sacrifice of
animals and humans. They sacrifice only their ego and submit various offerings for Navavarna Puja.

Arunachala Siva.