Author Topic: How can I find my own Guru? - Bhagwan's Reply and David's explanation  (Read 1289 times)

atmavichar100

• View Profile
Dear Friends

Few years back I had this email correspondence with David Godman regarding the topic "How to find one's own Guru " after reading the book BE AS YOU ARE by David Godman .
Here is question and David's reply .Hope it helps others also in the same .
Om Peace

Dear David ,This is with regard to a doubt in your book BE AS YOU ARE- The Teachings of Ramana Maharshi   Pg.92

Q : How can I find my own Guru
    Bhagwan: By intense meditation
    Now my doubt is , what sort of meditation is implied  here?
    is it Meditation on the form of a deity like what Papaji did  or any other form of meditation .Can you elaborate this ?

This is what David Godman replied :

Papaji used to say that it is the desire for liberation or for God that brings one to a Guru, and he would cite his own case in support of this. He said that the sadhana one performs is actually a symptom or a side effect of this hunger for transcendence. If realisation happens, it is not because of a particular practice since that is just the symptom or the outer manifestion of a hunger for God or the Self. It is the unwavering desire for God or the Self that takes you to the goal, not the practice that this desire manifests as. I would also, with reference to your answer, that if the desire for the Self is strong and persistent enough, a Guru wil manifest.

Best Wishes            David Godman
However many holy words you read, however many you speak, what good will they do you if you do not act on upon them? - Buddha

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
Re: How can I find my own Guru? - Bhagwan's Reply and David's explanation
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2012, 12:27:36 PM »
Dear Atmavichar10,

Yes. One shall find one's Guru through intense meditation on God or the Self, with  an earnest desire for moksha. The
Guru will manifest for him, once the time is ripe, as it happened in the case of Manikkavachagar, Madhurakavi Azhwar and
as David quoted in the case of Papaji.

Arunachala Siva. 

Jewell

• Love,always love and only love
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2012, 01:17:46 PM »
Dear Atmavichar100, Yes,this is completely true. I can say from my own experience. I found Bhagavan,and all i did was reading only. I didnt meditate,nothing. Only that desire was,and is there. And faith. Nothing else. Thats why i find this very true. Thank You Very much for this post! With love and prayers,

Jewell

• Love,always love and only love
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2012, 01:33:15 PM »
Dear Hari, Yes,all that is interrelated. I could not explain to myself that longing too. It was not so conscious,more like inner pulling. You are going somewhere,and You dont know why and where. And all we have to do is not to resist,and to let it take us where It wants. Only not to put new obstacles. Because,when that pull starts,We are catched,and it only grows.