Author Topic: how to do self enquiry  (Read 2028 times)

ksksat27

• View Profile
how to do self enquiry
« on: November 19, 2012, 05:58:38 PM »
please clarify this:

the main activity in self enquiry is focussing on I and have a subjective feeling of this "I".

When other thoughts come ,  I ask to whom they occur and when it is found to be 'to me'  ,  again I abide in this subjective feeling and inner sense of I.  Is this right?

or shall i have to wonder and witness this I feeling?

and where 'who am i ' fits in.

Can somebody explain this self enquiry as they do and as present in Ramana Bhagavan related books?

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
Re: how to do self enquiry
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2012, 06:10:17 PM »
Dear Krishnan,

The who am I? question is to ward off the non-Self thoughts. Otherwise your method of staying in the subjective I with a feeling
of stillness of mind is right.

I do it between 10 pm and 11 pm. When I ask Who am I?, many thoughts  would trouble me for sometime, and there will stillness of mind and I experience the mind dwelling within the Self. I am not able to abide totally in Self and this may take
more time, or as Sri Bhagavan wills.

Arunachala Siva. 

Nagaraj

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2012, 06:16:08 PM »
Sri Krishnan,

According to me, Self Enquiry is not a technique, it varies from person to person based on ones pakvA. Fundamentally, to put it very simply, from my limited understanding, it is all about ignoring thoughts* and engaging in tracing of the thinker, the source!

*All questions and answers are thoughts

॥ शांतमात्मनि तिष्ट ॥
Remain quietly in the Self.
~ Vasishta

Hari

• View Profile
    • Fundamental questions about mind
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2012, 06:37:46 PM »
Sri Krishnan,

According to me, Self Enquiry is not a technique, it varies from person to person based on ones pakvA. Fundamentally, to put it very simply, from my limited understanding, it is all about ignoring thoughts* and engaging in tracing of the thinker, the source!

*All questions and answers are thoughts

But when ignoring the thoughts aren't we involuntarily 'concentrating' on the "I"?
Web Page dedicated to the Great Sages:
https://someoneelsebg.000webhostapp.com/Sages/HTML.html

Jewell

• Love,always love and only love
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2012, 07:05:44 PM »
Dear Friends, How i see it and do it,selfinquiry is holding on the subjective feeling of your own self,and knowledge I am,or I. Question Who am i cannot be asked just for sake of asking,but pondering over it. And it doasnt need to be like that. We can only hold on that I. Like someone asking you,who is there?,and you are asuring him,I am. Like that you are convicting yourself only,I,I. Literaly,you are watching yourself. Every moment,second you are going with the subjective feeling that you are here,it can be felt anytime,and with the knowlege I exist,I am. When you stop thinking,and just observe,you hold on observer,yourself. And when thoughts come,question Who is that is only to come back to I and realise that thoughts we are not.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2012, 07:16:08 PM by Jewell »

Nagaraj

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2012, 07:16:20 PM »
But when ignoring the thoughts aren't we involuntarily 'concentrating' on the "I"?

in a way, we can say yes. We can't even say, it is concentrating on the 'I' but we can say, concentrating on "Being" Bhagavan says somewhere, in the lines of the essence, that which negates/ignores everything, itself cannot be ignored - Being as is, or being as That is what is aimed. The rest falls in the realms of personal experience, cannot be bought into communication spheres.

But, we have to be cautious, the moment we stop here, concluding as thus -

we are again getting caught in idea, even this should be transcended, go beyond even this! We should be cautious not to get caught in conclusions, that is the greatest impediment as it is very subtle, can go unnoticed.

॥ शांतमात्मनि तिष्ट ॥
Remain quietly in the Self.
~ Vasishta

ksksat27

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2012, 09:55:53 AM »
Thanks everybody.

Seems tracing back the source or the starting place of rising of I thought  is one aspect.

subjective feeing or feeling the inner most sense of I,  is another aspect.

Seems there is a third aspect by which also one can peform this enquiry --  that is,  first to stay in I feeling for sometime,  then suddenly starting to wonder what is this feeling of I,  how suddenly it has come,  .  That is to say,  suddenly ,  one starts witnessing this feeling of I,  as if it is a third party.   Suddenly one starts wondering the feeling of I,  starts questioning the validity of this feeling of I,   starts wondering what if this "I" feeling is just a concept etc.

Can somebody elaborate on the third aspect I just explained?

Jewell

• Love,always love and only love
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2012, 03:17:51 PM »
Dear ksksat27, All what You have said,about pondering and questioning,is,for me,proces of selfinquiry too. If You ponder over something deeply,insight is bound to come. Only,that is not knowledge which will stay,coz it belongs to other tip of knowledge,intuitive,it come like insight. What i have noticed is that,when we do inquiry,there is many I's,it seems. What helped me,is to hold that knowledge of I first,and to look at it,literaly. It looks like your eyes will turn inside. And then came just holding,or staying in that Presence itself,Witnessing Witness. With love and prayers,