Author Topic: Bhagavan Ramana Teachings-Comments  (Read 18992 times)

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
Re: Bhagavan Ramana Teachings-Comments
« Reply #45 on: November 19, 2012, 04:54:53 PM »
Dear Balaji,

Yes. It was a pouranmi day. All sannaysis used to have tonsure of their heads. The child had tonsure since perhaps it was
coming from Tirupati. The child said: I am mottai (tonsured); You (Bhagavan) also motta. Then the child turned other side and
found another sannyasi having tonsured head. O there is a mottai there!

As regards the papad story, Sri Bhagavan always used to accept the gift, however small it may be. But He told the child,
don't bring it without your mother knowing it. In fact, Sri Bhagavan accepted kaddukkai (Indian Mylobaran), a nut (that helps
motion) from a villager. It was so timely, Sri Bhagavan had indigestion and so this was gladly accepted by Him!

Arunachala Siva.   

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: November 19, 2012, 04:59:16 PM »
Dear Balaji,

Yes. Finally three, Dr. Mekote, the sannyasi and Krishna Bhikshu attended. The wife of Syed cleaned all the vessels afresh,
cleaned the cooking medium (the stove or something) and prepared nice vegetarian dishes. Finally she offered pan to all
of them. Moslem women offer pan only to their husbands or some moulvi. But she did it for these people!

Arunachala Siva.   

Balaji

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: November 19, 2012, 05:03:59 PM »
Dear Subramanain Sir

What is meant by Pan?
Om Namo Bagavathe Sri Ramanaya

Ravi.N

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: November 19, 2012, 05:07:33 PM »
Udai,
I have not read Ribhu Gita nor am I familiar with any discipline that it recommends.Whatever I have said is independant of all that.Whatever it be,there are two paths-Enquiry and Meditation.In both the mind has to become one pointed,divested of all attachments and merge in the Being without a trace of 'I'.
Namaskar.

Nagaraj

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: November 19, 2012, 05:09:37 PM »
        :) "D: What is that which is called the inner worship or worship of the attributeless?
M: In texts such as the Ribhu-gita, the worship of the attributeless has been elaborately explained
(as a separate discipline). Yet, all disciplines such as sacrifice, charity, austerity, observance of
vows, japa, yoga, and puja, are, in effect, modes of meditation of the form ‘I am Brahman’. So, in
all the modes of disciplines, one should see to it that one does not stray away from the thought ‘I
am Brahman’. This is the purport of the worship of the attributeless"

This is what he said!  Now tell me whats  the context he said this ?
and whats the context he said what you pointed out?

Sri Tushnim, I have already expressed myself over this as follows:

Ultimately, we have to use another thorn inorder to remove the thorn that is pricked inside. We cannot used the same thorn that is pricked inside to remove itself.

Therefore, as Bhagavan says "Yet, all disciplines such as sacrifice, charity, austerity, observance of vows, japa, yoga, and puja, are, in effect, modes of meditation of the form ‘I am Brahman’. So, in all the modes of disciplines, one should see to it that one does not stray away from the thought ‘I am Brahman’"

It is advised to see to it that one does not stray away from the thought ‘I am Brahman’ through those mediums and not without them.

Bhagavan revealed Self Enquiry, to be one of the most effective methods to annihilate the "I"

॥ शांतमात्मनि तिष्ट ॥
Remain quietly in the Self.
~ Vasishta

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #50 on: November 19, 2012, 05:13:52 PM »
Dear Balaji,

Pan means betel leaves + supari + chunam, combined and folded.

Arunachala Siva.

Balaji

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: November 19, 2012, 05:19:45 PM »
Dear Subramanian Sir

Thank you for the meaning Pan
Om Namo Bagavathe Sri Ramanaya

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: November 19, 2012, 05:21:20 PM »
Dear Balaji,

Shantammal story:

Yes. If devotee takes one step, Sri Bhagavan takes nine steps to take him or her.

Arunachala Siva.

Nagaraj

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: November 19, 2012, 05:24:03 PM »
     :) Ofcourse its true that you have to use another thorn to extract one thorn.
When one cannot do Self inquiry continuously ... Annamalai Swami suggested I AM Brahman attitude. its a must. see the upadesha saram verses i posted below.

Sri Tushnim,

When you say when one cannot do Self Enquiry continuesly, of what avail it would be to have "I am Brahman" Attitude for such a one who is not able to do Self Enquiry continuesly?

If one is not able to do Self Enquiry continuesly, then what i infer from your view is that, one has to remind oneself that He is That, through what you say, "I am Brahman" and this should eventually again lead to the enquiry who this "I" that is affirmed as Brahman?Therefore, this 'I am Brahman' attitude is just a method by which one strives to come resume Self Enquiry.

So, all this cycles of "I am Brahman" attitude, affirmation, etc... should further draw you back to who is that is affirmed as Brahman? Who am I? There is no excuse for Self Enquiry. This is not what Annamalai Swami has said.

If it is so, then "I am Brahman" has to draw you back to Self Enquiry!

Verse 9: Bhava sunyasad bhava susthitih bhavana balad bhaktir uttama

Bhavana balat : based upon the strenghth of thought [ie, i am he -- from previous verse]

sad bhava sustitih: (the meditator gains) firm abidance in the Self.

Bhava sunya : independent of thoughts

Bhaktir uttamam: This is supreme devotion.

if one condemns Bhavana Bhalad , how can one gain bhava-sunya sustitih ?

One that abides speaks not, and the one that does not abides, speaks!

॥ शांतमात्मनि तिष्ट ॥
~ Vasishta

Nagaraj

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: November 19, 2012, 05:28:03 PM »
My friend, its your interpretation that needs to be re-looked :)
॥ शांतमात्मनि तिष्ट ॥
~ Vasishta

Nagaraj

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: November 19, 2012, 05:29:26 PM »

and everyone is constantly meditating "i am bound"!!! -- this in Ramana's forum! 

Friend, the above is the father of all assumptions :)

first you find out friend, then you can relieve others, if others are separate from you, then!

॥ शांतमात्मनि तिष्ट ॥
~ Vasishta

Nagaraj

• View Profile
« Reply #56 on: November 19, 2012, 05:32:13 PM »
Sri Tushnim,

Please see this revelation of Bhagavan,

“My” implies the “I”, which owns the senses. You take your existence for granted; at the same time ask others to prove it to you. Similarly you admit the certainty of your senses, which see others, whilst denying all certainty. You see how you contradict yourself. The fact is that there are no others: there is no such a person as “you”. Each man, although addressed as “you”, styles himself as “I”. Even the confirmation you demand from others comes only from the “I”. “You” and “they” occur only to the “I”, without which they are meaningless.

then reflect, Who is imposing as you have said -

and everyone is constantly meditating "i am bound"!!! -- this in Ramana's forum! 

you will realise that you are talking just about yourself! not anybody in the forum

॥ शांतमात्मनि तिष्ट ॥
~ Vasishta

Nagaraj

• View Profile
« Reply #57 on: November 19, 2012, 05:38:12 PM »
Somebody is avoiding questioning oneself  ;)
॥ शांतमात्मनि तिष्ट ॥
~ Vasishta

Ravi.N

• View Profile
« Reply #58 on: November 19, 2012, 05:44:00 PM »
udai,
I am referring to the means as well.It is the intensity and onepointedness that annuls distinction of subject and object for the meditator;it breaks the apparent divide of subject and object in meditation.Sri Bhagavan mentions this in verse 7 of upadesa saram.This intensity leads to ananya Bhava as in verse 8 and this ananya bhava if held on(same as Self Enquiry)leads onto transcendence of Bhava-leading onto merger in the source.This is para Bhakti.

The question may arise as to how a dual worship may lead to ananya bhava.A simple example shows this:
Let us say that a man goes to watch a motion picture.His eyes are wide open and he is drawn to the show outside.
Another man goes all the way to a shiva temple.He stands in front of the Shivalinga and closes his eyes in prayer and meditation.He is drawn within although he has gone for darshan of the shivalinga.
An 'Object' can become a 'subject' in this way,depending on the intensity of the pull.As it becomes dearer and dearer,it becomes ananya bhakti.
Later on he does not need the support of a picture or an idol and need not close his eyes in prayer or meditation.
Namaskar.

Nagaraj

• View Profile
« Reply #59 on: November 19, 2012, 05:44:25 PM »
Sri Tushnim,

we have known each other for few years now, hence i feel, we can talk freely. As you are mySelf, i see there is a strong feeling of "I am Brahman" in you.

You are getting stuck in knowledge, perhaps after over weighing ignorance, go beyond this knowledge garbage.

Bhagavan has said, there is no jnyAnI, there is only jnyAnam. give up the possessor too!

Do you see, that, to whom you are trying to show light is yourself and nobody else? its a losing battle, give up the knowledge baggage!

your own light,

« Last Edit: November 19, 2012, 05:46:20 PM by Nagaraj »
॥ शांतमात्मनि तिष्ट ॥
~ Vasishta