Author Topic: Bhagavan Ramana Teachings-Comments  (Read 20008 times)

Nagaraj

• View Profile
Re: Bhagavan Ramana Teachings-Comments
« Reply #30 on: November 18, 2012, 12:33:54 PM »
When one receives the grace of a saint,
His ego-consciousness dissolves;
Eventually, even God-consciousness will dissolve.
If you light a piece of camphor,
It produces a bright flame;
But after awhile, both camphor and flame disappear.
In the same way, God-consciousness
Supplants ego-consciousness at first,
But eventually,
Even the awareness ‘I am He’ dissolves.

One who comes under the influence of a saint
Has arrived at the gates of Liberation;
He will attain all glory.

Jnanadev says: I delight in the company of the saints!
It is due to their grace that I see Hari everywhere
In the forest, in the crowds, and also in myself.

(haripattA jnAnEshwar)

॥ शांतमात्मनि तिष्ट ॥
Remain quietly in the Self.
~ Vasishta

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 18, 2012, 12:42:48 PM »

The two exist because of the one,
But hold not even to this one,
When the one mind is not disturbed,
The ten thousand things offer no offence,

When no offence is offered by them they are as if not existing;
When the mind is not disturbed, it is as if there is no mind.
The subject is quieted as the object ceases,
The object ceases as the subject is quieted.

The object is an object for the subject,
The subject is a subject for an object,
Know that the relativity of the two
Rests ultimately on the oneness of the Void.

Bodhidharma (died AD 606)

Arunachala Siva.

Nagaraj

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 19, 2012, 11:24:07 AM »
Friends, kindly request you to carry on discussions here.

:)
॥ शांतमात्मनि तिष्ट ॥
~ Vasishta

Ravi.N

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 19, 2012, 12:00:04 PM »
udai,
Nothing is missed;All these are valid and useful as sadhana.What is said is that one should not stop here.To think that 'I am Brahman' is okay but realizing Brahman and be that is another.I have posted what Sri Ramakrishna has stated in the Rough Notebook thread.
All that I have said is that the freedom that one experiences through nonidentification with the gross thoughts is a useful step in sadhana but not the end.I have questioned the Limits of this freedom.What is it that limits this freedom?What is the Nature of this freedom?Is it limitless?When does it become limitless?
I do not have anything more to add to what I have already said.
Namaskar.

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 19, 2012, 12:47:04 PM »
Dear Tusnim, Ravi,

Talks No. 139:

Q: Is it enough to introvert the mind or should we meditate on I am Brahman?

Bhagavan: To introvert the mind is the prime thing. The Buddhists consider the flow of 'I' thought to be Liberation. Whereas
we say that such flow proceeds from its underlying substratum  - the only - Reality. Why should one be meditating 'I am Brahman'?
Only the annihilation of 'I' is Liberation. But it can be gained only by keeping the 'I-I' always in view. So the need for the investigation
of the 'I' thought. If the 'I' is not let go, no blank can result to the seeker.

Arunachala Siva.

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 19, 2012, 12:52:06 PM »
dear Tusnim,

Talks No. 202:

The devotee was then asked to say what exactly was his method of mediation. He said: Aham Brahmasmi.

Bhagavan: 'I am Brahman' is only a thought. Who  says it? Brahman itself does not say so. What need is there for it to say it?
Nor can the real 'I' say so. For 'I' always abides as Brahman. To be saying it is only a thought. Whose thought is it?
All thoughts are from the unreal 'I', the 'I'-thought. Remain without thinking. So long as there is thought there will be fear/

Arunachala Siva. 

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 19, 2012, 01:31:40 PM »
Dear Tusnim,

Here I have to say what Sri Bhagavan said about Aham Brahmasmi. It is only Brahman is 'I' within. Not to say I am  Brahman.

Sri Bhagavan said about Ribhu Gita: 'I (Brahman) remain fixed, whereas innumerable universes becoming concepts within
my mind, rotate within me.'  This is the manner in which Ribhu Gita is to be chanted.   (Talks No. 212)

Further, He said: In as much as you say that they are body etc., apart from the Self. But when the Self is found (realized)  this body
etc., are also found to be in it. Afterwards no one will ask question and no one will say that they are insentient. (Talks No. 310)

Hence Ribhu gita parayana should be done only with the purport of understanding Brahman is 'I' within.

Arunachala Siva.         

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 19, 2012, 01:44:06 PM »
Dear Tusnim,

I am not sure in what context Annamalai Swami said differently. Let me check up the books.

Arunachala Siva.

Nagaraj

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 19, 2012, 03:30:40 PM »
Sri Tushnim,

Ultimately, we have to use another thorn inorder to remove the thorn that is pricked inside. We cannot used the same thorn that is pricked inside to remove itself.

Therefore, as Bhagavan says "Yet, all disciplines such as sacrifice, charity, austerity, observance of vows, japa, yoga, and puja, are, in effect, modes of meditation of the form ‘I am Brahman’. So, in all the modes of disciplines, one should see to it that one does not stray away from the thought ‘I am Brahman’"

It is advised to see to it that one does not stray away from the thought ‘I am Brahman’ through those mediums and not without them.

Bhagavan revealed Self Enquiry, to be one of the most effective methods to annihilate the "I"

॥ शांतमात्मनि तिष्ट ॥
~ Vasishta

Nagaraj

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 19, 2012, 03:37:38 PM »
If you are not to stray away from "I am Brahman"... can you say "I am bound" ?

who says so?

॥ शांतमात्मनि तिष्ट ॥
~ Vasishta

Ravi.N

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 19, 2012, 03:43:17 PM »
Friends,
No need to think whether one is bound or free.Quitude is directly experienced and there are two approaches from here-Self enquiry or self surrender.
Namaskar.

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 19, 2012, 03:49:30 PM »
Dear Tusnim,

Sri Bhagavan says : all disciplines such as japa, sacrifice etc., are  only modes of meditation on the FORM OF BRAHMAN.
He did not say that these are all modes of the THOUGHT I AM BRAHMAN. What Sri Bhagavan reiterated in the Talks that
I had earlier quoted is that : Do not keep on telling I am Brahman, I am Brahman. But meditation of the form (where is the form,
naturally formelss Brahman).

In Guru Vachaka Kovai, Verse 709, Muruganar makes it more explicit -

Will all miseries come to an end by loudly repeating 'I am Brahman', many many times? They will go away when you yourself abide
at That (Brahman). Therefore, instead of wandering around proclaiming 'I am Brahman', you yourself should rest firmly as Brahman.

Arunachala Siva.

Nagaraj

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 19, 2012, 04:01:33 PM »
Tushnim

It is clear Bhagavan has said in Sat Darshanam:
satyayA pratyayA, nAham udEti thathra.

Truth is that whence there is non emergence of I

this discussion will happen only after "Naan" uditha piragu (Emergence of I) and Bhagavan says remain without Udhiyaamal (non emergence of I)

Why do you emerge in order to declare your discovery "I AM BRAHMAN"

it is just thought in emergence. To whom are you trying to convey? why break from meditation? why emerge and give space to all these vAsanAs?

॥ शांतमात्मनि तिष्ट ॥
~ Vasishta

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 19, 2012, 04:11:06 PM »
Dear Balaji,

Yes. Sri Bhagavan was all knowing, sarvajna. That is why He told the young devotee, not to be absent just because he had
no money for sambrani.

Again in Cohen's case, (it also happened in Major Chadwick's case), since Cohen was trying to treat Him as something special
He stopped coming.  He never wanted anyone to treat Him as some one who is special. That is why He took food with all
in the dinner hall. Any fruits or sweets offered by devotees were distributed to all equally.

Arunachala Siva.

Ravi.N

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 19, 2012, 04:24:04 PM »
udai,
What I have said is valid for any context.The mind has to feel the pull of the source and merge in it;it can do this only if it is rendered free of attachments and ideas of bondage or freedom.
Namaskar.

P.S:I just happen to see your post.There is no way one can see one is Brahman.One can only imagine the quietude that one experiences ,the freedom from Gross thoughts as Brahman.Yet ,this is not Brahman.Brahman is the whole and the Fraction cannot see the whole.This is why sri Ramakrishna says -'How can a one seer vessel hold ten seers of milk'?
Please eliminate Repeating 'I am Brahman'-I do not think anyone here is referring to such a thing.