Author Topic: Annamalai Swami rememberance day - 9 November  (Read 4149 times)

atmavichar100

• View Profile
Annamalai Swami rememberance day - 9 November
« on: November 10, 2012, 11:30:47 AM »

Annamalai Swami rememberance day
Annamalai Swami, a lifelong devotee of Sri Ramana Maharshi, was absorbed in his Master on November 9, 1995. He was 89-years-old.

Two ways of life is seen in Bhagavan devotees. One based on service to the ashram and the other a deeply contemplative life according to the teachings of Bhagavan. Annamalai Swami’s life is unique in that he combined serving the ashram with living spiritually according to the teachings of Bhagavan. Annamalai Swami had the rare experience of becoming blissful by the touch of Bhagavan though the conversation was about drugs. We read in Talks: When Sri Bhagavan was taking His bath a few bhaktas were around Him, speaking to themselves. Then they asked Him about the use of ganja (hashish). Sri Bhagavan had finished His bath by that time. He said: “Oh ganja! The users feel immensely happy when they are under its influence. How shall I describe their happiness! They simply shout ananda! ananda. . .” Saying so, He walked as if tipsy. The bhaktas laughed. He appeared as if He stumbled, placed His hands round ‘Annamalai Swami’ and cried “ananda! ananda!”‘A’ records that his very being was transformed from that time. He had remained an inmate for the past eight years. He further says that his mind now remains at peace.
Talks 530. The following is taken from the diary of Annamalai Swami, a good devotee of Sri Bhagavan and resident of Sri Ramanasramam:The Teachings of Sri Ramana Bhagavan. (1) That man who is active in the world and yet remains desireless, without losing sight of his own essential nature, is alone a true man. This was in answer to the Swami who wanted to retire into a cave for practising meditation. (2) He asked about sannyas. Should not a man renounce everything in order that he might get Liberation? M.: Even better than the man who thinks “I have renounced everything” is the one who does his duty but does not think “I do this” or “I am the doer”. Even a sannyasi who thinks “I am a sannyasi” cannot be a true sannyasi, whereas a householder who does not think “I am a householder” is truly a sannyasi.
However many holy words you read, however many you speak, what good will they do you if you do not act on upon them? - Buddha

Ravi.N

• View Profile
Re: Annamalai Swami rememberance day - 9 November
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2012, 11:36:02 AM »
Krishna(atmavichar),
Wonderful sayings of sri Bhagavan!Thanks very much.
Namaskar.

atmavichar100

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2012, 12:50:27 PM »
However many holy words you read, however many you speak, what good will they do you if you do not act on upon them? - Buddha

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2012, 01:47:18 PM »
Dear atmavichar 100,

I have given the details of some instances in Annamalai Swami's life and his later conversations with devotees in David
Godman's blog yesterday. In 1928, after seeing the photo of Sri Bhagavan in a book, Upadesa Undiyar, given by a Sadhu,
in his village and he decided that he is his guru. Next day by 1.00 PM. he reached the Asramam!  He worked as an attendant
for a few months and later became the supervisor for building projects. After 10 years, he was asked by Sri Bhagavan to go
and do solitary meditation and self inquiry. He even asked him not to come and see Him. However, Sri Bhagavan used to see
him while walking to Palakottu almost daily. Annamalai Swami lived in a thatched house in Palakottu till his Nirvana.

The sources for all these information are: 1. Sri Ramana NinaivugaL - Tamizh. 2. Final Talks, by David. 3. Face to Face by
Ramana Kendram, Hyderabad.

Arunachala Siva.   

Balaji

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2012, 05:15:04 PM »
Superb

very nice information about Annamalai Swamy

May Lord Sri Ramana Maharishi' Grance showers on you Mr R Subramanian
Om Namo Bagavathe Sri Ramanaya

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2012, 05:36:03 PM »
Dear Balaji,

Annamalai Swami once while supervising building projects, got enchanted by seeing a cooly girl. Sex thoughts  haunted
and he reported the same to Sri Bhagavan. Sri Bhagavan said: All right, you committed an error. Why don't you leave
it at that? Why do you keep on harping that thought. Be calm and remove that thought. However, as a retribution, He
punished him by making him stand on two hot bricks in the sweltering weather of Tiruvannamalai for a few hours!

Arunachala Siva.