Author Topic: Mountain Path Editorial - Power of the Bhagwan's Photograph  (Read 1912 times)

atmavichar100

• View Profile
Mountain Path Editorial - Power of the Bhagwan's Photograph
« on: November 08, 2012, 12:57:36 PM »
Mountain Path Editorial - Power of the Bhagwan's Photograph
There have been some questions recently on why we have been sharing photos of Bhagavan on this page( i.e FaceBook) , when He always said He was not the body.

The attached editorial that appeared in the July-Sept 2011 edition of the Mountain Path journal, is an excellent response. We encourage everyone to read this well-written article on the potency of Bhagavan's photographs to the spiritual aspirant.

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B1E4DhA8Q4MrRmNYTmtDNUhYMzQ/edit?pli=1
However many holy words you read, however many you speak, what good will they do you if you do not act on upon them? - Buddha

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
Re: Mountain Path Editorial - Power of the Bhagwan's Photograph
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2012, 01:15:58 PM »
Dear atmavichar100,

Yes. I remember to have read this interesting  article in Mountain Path and have also given a series of posts on this
in David's blog.

Arunachala Siva.

Vinod

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2012, 10:23:19 AM »
Dear Atma vichar,

I have read it yesterday and what I feel is, it differs from person to person. In the present world with lot of animosity and many nasty things around, we have many distractions and some times we tend to go off track, so for such people photo's or let it be any physical thing would help to remind us of what we are.

Ex: Its just been one month I have placed a big photo of our master to the wall in my bedroom. So when ever I am disturbed/annoyed I look at our masters photo and it helps me to get back to normal and it really works for me. When I am off the room, I just take the name of arunachaleshwara and it helps me.

So with such hostile environment around us and with responsibilities, we tend to be under the influence of the mind forgetting what is there in our heart, so these pic's will help us to get back to the momentum.

OM ARUNAACHALESHWARAAYA NAMAHA!

atmavichar100

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2012, 10:38:59 AM »
Vinod

Beauty of our Sanathana Dharma is that it gives you various tools to calm and focus the mind and having the picture of God /Guru and repeating one's Mantra are some of the best practical tools . My Yoga Guru Swami Vishnu devananda ( he is no more ) always used to keep by his side a picture of his Guru ( i.e my Great Guru ) Swami Sivananda and an Idol of Lord Nataraja . In spite of the fact he became world famous and had lot of followers ,yet he used to keep his Guru's picture always by his side .When people asked him why , he used to say that Power of Maya is so powerful that it can bring down a person even after 50 years of Sadhana and hence one always needs to be Vigilant and seek the Guru's Guidance for protection . Recently you can see the instances of many Gurus caught up in Sex Scandals and most of them are well read and have mastered the Scriptures but in spite of that why did they fall down ? No doubt the real Guru is always present inside us as our own "Self" but since our mind is extroverted most of the time ,we need the external reminder also .

However many holy words you read, however many you speak, what good will they do you if you do not act on upon them? - Buddha

Vinod

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2012, 10:53:27 AM »
Yes sir!

We are not in good old days, were lively hood was not so difficult and there were not much distractions and still people had their gurus photo's around them. Now we have TV(with non sense stuff, even in adds), mobile, MNC culture etc with many distractions and it is MUST for us to have some additional accessories to be on the wright track.

OM ARUNAACHALESHWARAAYA NAMAHA! 

Balaji

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2012, 01:24:27 PM »
Dear Vinod

I do the same thing, when my mind disturbed i look  the photo of Sri Ramana Bhagavan, and it gives peace.

Om Namo Bhagavathe Sri Ramanaya
Om Namo Bagavathe Sri Ramanaya

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2012, 01:39:07 PM »
Dear atmavichar100 and others,

Yes. Many devotees have come to Sri Bhagavan after seeing His photographs in some book. Annamalai Swami (whose liberation
day falls today) was attracted only by Sri Bhagavan's photo on a copy of Upadesa Undiyar given to him, by some sadhu in 1928. The
very next day, he came to have darshan of Sri Bhagavan and stayed with Him for many decades.

Arunachala Siva.