Author Topic: Karthika/Maha Deepam  (Read 5254 times)

Vinod

• View Profile
Karthika/Maha Deepam
« on: November 02, 2012, 05:15:18 AM »
Dear All,

Just today I have learned that the deepam festival is on 27th of November, so who all are planning to go. I am not sure wether I will make it this time, as it depends on my leave balance.

The only issue is with the number people, as it was very rush last time and I was also scared of stampede after coming to know about tirupathi and other places which had the same problem and every year the number of people visting is increasing a lot. The one good thing what I have learned recently is, govt has restricted commercial activities, so this time we can see very less people involved in selling and other promotions. However one has to be very lucky to be there on this special day! and its a different experience compared to other days.

Any more thoughts/experiences on this?

OM ARUNAACHALESHWARAAYA NAMAHA!
« Last Edit: November 02, 2012, 05:20:29 AM by Vinod »

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
Re: Karthika/Maha Deepam
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2012, 01:47:50 PM »
Dear Vinod,

Firstly, have you obtained permission from the Asramam for stay?  Normally it is difficult. If you stay outside, the hotels which
are also full, will give you some room at exorbitant charges.  If you stay in the outside hotel, you can not eat in the Asramam
dining hall. No food will be permitted if one stays outside their own guest rooms. So you have to make your own arrangments,
for food, coffee or tea.

Secondly, the giripradakshina road will be full of devotees. The number is normally estimated to be around 0.5 million. So giri
pradakshina with that huge crowd, you have to manage. Naturally it will take longer hours.

Thirdly, the Big Temple will also have huge crowd. You have to stand in long winding queue to have darshan of both Goddess and
Arunachaleswara. It will easily take three hours to come out of the temple after darshan.

Inside the Asramam you can go and have darshan of both Mother and Ramaneswara Mahalingam. You can also see the Arunachala
from in front of their temples.  You can also participate in the parayana and pujas.           

All these require great strength and stamina for your people and you. Anyway it is a question of will power and Sri Bhagavan's Grace.

We have never gone to T'malai on the Mahadeepam Day. We had gone only three or four days later, where you can see the Deepam
still burning on the summit.

Wish you best of luck.

Arunachala Siva.     

ramana_maharshi

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2012, 02:54:52 PM »
somehow i feel so lucky that the only visit i have done in arunachalam is co-incidently on deepam day and i had no clue of the crowd till i went there with my wife.  :)

even the 1st visit to hyderabad ramana kendram last year is on deepam day only.

Vinod

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2012, 10:36:16 PM »
Dear Subramanian,

Yes, even I had the same experience when I was there last time during the karthika deepam occasion. I was very fortunate to do the pradakshina on the deepam day as well as on the karthika pournami day and I cannot express in words how much good I felt inside.

There are a group of people who take care of accomodation for esp telugu devotees and it is known as Shivasannidhi and I am very fortunate to maintain friendship with them and now they know me very well. So when ever I go there I just need to call them and they will arrange accomodation (which includes tasty andhra food, tea, a/c etc) for me ignoring what ever the occasion it may be. So in this case I am very fortunate.

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2012, 11:46:58 AM »
Dear Vinod,

That is very nice. Once accommodation and food requirements are taken care, the rest is only the question of perseverance
to move through  the milling crowd and do giri pradkashina and  have darshan of Arunachaleswara and Apeetakuchambal.

Arunachala Siva.

Vinod

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2012, 11:38:43 PM »
Dear Vinod,

That is very nice. Once accommodation and food requirements are taken care, the rest is only the question of perseverance
to move through  the milling crowd and do giri pradkashina and  have darshan of Arunachaleswara and Apeetakuchambal.

Arunachala Siva.

Apeetakuchambal ???? Subramanian Ji is it Parvathi mata u r referring to, if yes what is the meaning of it?

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2012, 12:44:12 PM »
Dear Vinod,

Yes, Apeetakuchamba means a + peeta + kuja + Ambal,  which means one whose breasts have not been suckled by anyone.
This is the Sanskrit name for Unnamulai Amman. unna = not suckled; mulai =breasts, amma = Mother.

Ganapati is said have born out of the turmeric powder used by Mother. He was already say about 8 years old, as he was born.
Her second son, Muruga, who came out of the fiery third eye of Siva, was no doubt born as a child, but he was suckled by
Karitkai Mothers, 6 mothers representing the cluster of 6 stars in the Sky.

Arunachala Siva.

Vinod

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2012, 04:41:13 PM »
Dear Subramanian,

You are a great teacher and always ready to clear the doubts raised by us as a mentor. We are grateful and fortunate to have you in this forum.

Thank you!

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2012, 05:12:01 PM »
Dear Vinod,

There is a stray verse in Tamizh written by one poet. He says: Meenkashi as the queen of Panyda Kingdom was born after
great penance by Harimardhana Pandyan. But the child had three breasts! The king was worried. He called for astrologers
what to do. They said: Do not worry. Her extra breast will disappear when she meets her husband. Soon Meenkashi grew up and
became the princess. She went with a large army and conquered all lands. She came to Himalayas. There Siva was meditating.
She looked at Him and her third breast disappeared. Siva knew everything and said: You go back to Madurai and I shall come for
marrying you! She went back. Then after her mistake of attending Daksha's  yagna (fire sacrifice) for which Siva did  attend, she
had to jump into the sacrificial fire and give her life.

Then she was born as Kamakshi. She did severe tapas to marry Siva. Siva after praising her tapas asked her to come to
Tiruvannamalai. There she continued her tapas. When Siva appeared she said: I do not want to commit a mistake of living
in a form away from you outside you. I want half of your form. Siva agreed and she became half man and half woman (or rather Siva
had become half man and half woman) and thus they were called Ardhanari. half woman. Now with Siva she became concorporate,
she had only one breast!

This breast  she preserved carefully,. Why? The poet says it was to feed Jnana Sambandhar in Sirkazhi when the Jnana
Sambandhar cried on the tank where his father was bathing. She appeared before Jnana Sambandhar and took milk from her
breasts on a golden bowl and fed him. Soon after taking Mother's milk, which is pure Jnana, he started singing verses in praise of
Siva and Sakti in the same poem starting - thodudaiya seviyan vidai eRiyor thoo veN madhi choodi..... He was only three years old
then! He is considered to be an avatar of Muruga. Sri Bhagavan is considered as the second avatara of Muruga.

Arunachala Siva. 

Vinod

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2012, 07:53:17 PM »
Dear Subramanian,

It was a very lovely story and previously I learnt from you regarding Kamakshi sacrifise and today I learnt about Meenakshi's story and it was worth reading.

Thank you for sharing your knowledge.