Author Topic: Teachings of Sri Ramakrishna  (Read 112970 times)

Ravi.N

• View Profile
Re: Teachings of Sri Ramakrishna
« Reply #435 on: April 29, 2016, 08:23:15 AM »
MASTER: How did you like what I said about renunciation a little while ago?
M: Very much, sir.
MASTER: Tell me, what is the meaning of renunciation?
M: Renunciation does not mean simply dispassion for the world. It means dispassion for the world and also longing for God.

The Gospel of Sri Ramakrishna
« Last Edit: April 29, 2016, 08:42:50 AM by Ravi.N »

Ravi.N

• View Profile
« Reply #436 on: April 29, 2016, 08:39:50 AM »
The aspirant does not attain the Knowledge of Brahman as long as he is conscious of his ego. The ego comes under one's control after one has obtained the Knowledge of Brahman and seen God. Otherwise the ego cannot be controlled. It is difficult to catch one's own shadow. But when the sun is overhead, the shadow is within a few inches of the body.

« Last Edit: April 29, 2016, 08:43:25 AM by Ravi.N »

Ravi.N

• View Profile
« Reply #437 on: April 29, 2016, 08:42:16 AM »
A Devotee: What is the vision of God like?
Master: Haven't you seen a theatrical performance? The people are engaged in conversation, when suddenly the curtain goes up. Then the entire mind of the audience is directed to the play. The people don't look at other things any longer. Samadhi is to go within oneself like that. When the curtain is rung down, people look around again. Just so, when the, curtain of maya falls, the mind becomes externalized.

Ravi.N

• View Profile
« Reply #438 on: April 30, 2016, 08:35:12 AM »
M. (humbly): "How, sir, may we fix our minds on God?"
MASTER: "Repeat God's name and sing His glories, and keep holy company; and now and then visit God's devotees and holy men. The mind cannot dwell on God if it is immersed day and night in worldliness, in worldly duties and responsibilities; it is most necessary to go into solitude now and then and think of God. To fix the mind on God is very difficult, in the beginning, unless one practises meditation in solitude. When a tree is young it should be fenced all around; otherwise it may be destroyed by cattle.
To meditate, you should withdraw within yourself or retire to a secluded corner or to the forest. And you should always discriminate between the Real and the unreal. God alone is real, the Eternal Substance; all else is unreal, that is, impermanent. By discriminating thus, one should shake off impermanent objects from the mind.

The Gospel Of Sri Ramakrishna

Ravi.N

• View Profile
« Reply #439 on: May 01, 2016, 08:46:15 AM »
Once Vyasadeva was about to cross the Jamuna. The gopis also were there. They wanted to go to the other side of the river to sell curd, milk, and cream. But there was no ferry at that time. They were all worried about how to cross the river, when Vyasa said to them, 'I am very hungry.' The milkmaids fed him with milk and cream. He finished almost all their food. Then Vyasa said to the river, 'O Jamuna, if I have not eaten anything, then your waters will part and we shall walk through.' It so happened. The river parted and a pathway was formed between the waters. Following that path, the gopis and Vyasa crossed the river. Vyasa had said, 'If I have not eaten anything'. That means, the real man is Pure Atman. Atman is unattached and beyond Prakriti. It has neither hunger nor thirst; It knows neither birth nor death; It does not age, nor does It die. It is immutable as Mount Sumeru.

Ravi.N

• View Profile
« Reply #440 on: May 14, 2016, 10:31:27 AM »
Consciousness. When a man merges his buddhi, his intelligence, in Bodha, Consciousness, then he attains the Knowledge of Brahman; he becomes buddha, enlightened.Nangta used to say that the mind merges in the buddhi, and the buddhi in Bodha,Consciousness.

Nagaraj

• View Profile
« Reply #441 on: June 13, 2016, 08:26:25 AM »
"Try to find out what this  'I' is. Is this 'I' the bones or flesh or blood or intestines? Seeking the 'I', you discover 'Thou'. In other words, nothing exists inside you but the power of God. There is no 'I', but only 'He'. (To Pasupati) You have so much wealth, but you have no egotism. It is not possible to rid oneself altogether of the ego; so, as long as it is there, let the rascal remain as the servant of God. (All laugh.) The ego that makes a man feel he is a devotee of God or a son of God or a servant of God is good. But the ego that makes a man attached to 'woman and gold' is the 'unripe ego'. That ego is to be renounced."

-
॥ शांतमात्मनि तिष्ट ॥
Remain quietly in the Self.
~ Vasishta

Nagaraj

• View Profile
« Reply #442 on: July 07, 2016, 11:39:04 PM »
The Five Commandments of Sri Ramakrishna
From the Gospel of Sri Ramakrishna, picked By Swami Dayatmananda

M. (humbly): "Yes, sir. How, sir, may we fix our minds on God?"
Master:
  • "Repeat God's name and sing His glories, and
  • keep holy company; and now and then visit God's devotees and holy men. The
    mind cannot dwell on God if it is immersed day and night in worldliness, in worldly
    duties and responsibilities;
  • it is most necessary to go into solitude now and then and think of God. To fix the
    mind on God is very difficult, in the beginning, unless one practises meditation in
    solitude. When a tree is young it should be fenced all around; otherwise it may be
    destroyed by cattle.
    "To meditate, you should withdraw within yourself or retire to a secluded corner or
    to the forest.
  • And you should always discriminate between the Real and the unreal. God alone
    is real, the Eternal Substance; all else is unreal, that is, impermanent. By
    discriminating thus, one should shake off impermanent objects from the mind."
  • M. (humbly): "How ought we to live in the world?"
    Master: (5) "Do all your duties, but keep your mind on God. Live with all with wife
    and children, father and mother and serve them. Treat them as if they were very
    dear to you, but know in your heart of hearts that they do not belong to you."

--
॥ शांतमात्मनि तिष्ट ॥
Remain quietly in the Self.
~ Vasishta

Ravi.N

• View Profile
« Reply #443 on: August 07, 2016, 08:03:13 PM »
Paths of knowledge and devotion
A NEIGHBOUR:"Revered sir, what are the doctrines of Vedanta?"
MASTER: The Vedantist says, 'I am He.' Brahman is real and the world illusory. Even the 'I'is illusory. Only the Supreme Brahman exists.But the 'I' cannot be got rid of. Therefore it is good to have the feeling, 'I am the servant of God, His son, His devotee.'
For the Kaliyuga the path of bhakti is especially good. One can realize God through bhakti too. As long as one is conscious of the body, one is also conscious of objects. Form, taste, smell, sound, and touch-these are the objects. It is extremely difficult to get rid of the consciousness of objects. And one cannot realize 'I am He' as long as one is aware of objects.The sannyasi is very little conscious of worldly objects. But the householder is always engrossed in them. Therefore it is good for him to feel, 'I am the servant of God.'

« Last Edit: September 08, 2016, 10:50:42 PM by Ravi.N »

Ravi.N

• View Profile
« Reply #444 on: September 08, 2016, 10:48:03 PM »
Parable of the false ascetic
"One night a fisherman went into a garden and cast his net into the lake in order to steal some fish. The owner heard him and surrounded him with his servants. They brought lighted torches and began to search for him. In the mean time the fisherman smeared his body with ashes and sat under a tree, pretending to be a holy man. The owner and his men searched a great deal but could not find the thief. All they saw was a holy man covered with ashes, meditating under a tree. The next day the news spread in the neighbourhood that a great sage was staying in the garden. People gathered there and saluted him with offerings of fruit, flowers, and sweets. Many also offered silver and copper coins. 'How strange!' thought the fisherman. 'I am not a genuine holy man, and still people show such devotion to me. I shall certainly realize God if I become a true sadhu. There is no doubt about it.'
"If a mere pretense of religious life can bring such spiritual awakening, you can imagine the effect of real sadhana. In that state you will surely realize what is real and what is unreal. God alone is real, and the world is illusory.
"

Ravi.N

• View Profile
« Reply #445 on: September 09, 2016, 10:56:34 PM »
MASTER (to the elder Gopal and the other devotees): As long as a man feels that God is 'there',he is ignorant. But he attains Knowledge when he feels that God is 'here'.
A man wanted a smoke. He went to a neighbour's house to light his charcoal. It was the dead of night and the household was asleep. After he had knocked a great deal, someone came down to open the door. At sight of the man he asked, 'Hello! What's the matter?' The man replied: 'Can't you guess? You know how fond I am of smoking. I have come here to light my charcoal.' The neighbour said: 'Ha! Ha! You are a fine man indeed! You took the trouble to come and do all this knocking at the door! Why, you have a lighted lantern in your hand!' (All laugh.)
What a man seeks is very near him. Still he wanders about from place to place.

Ravi.N

• View Profile
« Reply #446 on: September 11, 2016, 11:45:40 PM »
Different paths to suit different tastes
Master:(To the pundit) :Please don't say anything to Mani Mallick. You must know that there are different tastes. There are also different powers of digestion. God has made different religions and creeds to suit different aspirants. By no means all are fit for the Knowledge of Brahman. Therefore the worship of God with form has been provided.
The mother brings home a fish for her children. She curries part of the fish, part she fries, and with another part she makes pilau. By no means all can digest the pilau. So she makes fish soup for those who have weak stomachs. Further, some want pickled or fried fish. There are different temperaments. There are differences in the capacity to comprehend

Ravi.N

• View Profile
« Reply #447 on: September 13, 2016, 12:03:44 AM »
A man cannot get rid of body-consciousness as long as he is attached to worldly things and loves 'woman and gold'. As he becomes less and less attached to worldly things, he approaches nearer and nearer to the Knowledge of Self. He also becomes less and less conscious of his body. He attains Self-Knowledge when his worldly attachment totally disappears. Then he realizes that body and soul are two separate things. It is very difficult to separate with a knife the kernel of a coconut from the shell before the milk inside has dried up. When the milk dries up, the kernel rattles inside the shell. At that time it loosens itself from the shell. Then the fruit is called a dry coconut.
Signs of God-vision
The sign of a man's having realized God is that he has become like a dry coconut. He has become utterly free from the consciousness that he is the body. He does not feel happy or unhappy with the happiness or unhappiness of the body. He does not seek the comforts of the body. He roams about in the world as a jivanmukta, one liberated in life.

Ravi.N

• View Profile
« Reply #448 on: September 13, 2016, 11:09:17 PM »
MASTER: "A little spiritual discipline is necessaryin order to know what lies within."
M: "Is it necessary to practise discipline all through life?"
MASTER: "No. But one must be up and doing in the beginning. After that one need not work hard. The helmsman stands up and clutches the rudder firmly as long as the boat is passing through waves, storms, high wind, or around the curves of a river; but he relaxes after steering through them. As soon as the boat passes the curves and the helmsman feels a favourable wind, he sits comfortably and just touches the rudder. Next he prepares to unfurl the sail and gets ready for a smoke. Likewise, the aspirant enjoys peace and calm after passing the waves and storms of 'woman and gold'.
"Woman and gold" is the obstruction to yoga
"Some are born with the characteristics of the yogi; but they too should be careful. It is 'woman and gold' alone that is the obstacle; it makes them deviate from the path of yoga and drags them into worldliness. Perhaps they have some desire for enjoyment. After fulfilling their desire, they again direct their minds to God and thus recover their former state of mind, fit for the practise of yoga.

Ravi.N

• View Profile
« Reply #449 on: September 14, 2016, 08:01:43 PM »
How long should one reason about the texts of the scriptures? So long as one does not have direct realization of God. How long does the bee buzz about? As long as it is not sitting on a flower. No sooner does it light on a flower and begin to sip honey than it keeps quiet.