Author Topic: Teachings of Sri Ramakrishna  (Read 242106 times)

Nagaraj

• View Profile
Re: Teachings of Sri Ramakrishna
« Reply #315 on: April 05, 2014, 08:41:42 AM »
"What is there in the worldly life? What an inordinate attachment people
have for it. See how out of one so many come out, and how one's attention
and energies are all dissipated. Is it possible for a person placed under such
conditions to attain to spiritual greatness? Have you not seen crabs? The
mother crab peeps out of her hole again and again, and then goes down. It
struggles hard repeatedly to free itself, but fails. And why? Because of her
attraction for her numerous progeny living in the hole. This attraction drags
her into the hole in spite of all her efforts. Such is the case of those who are
immersed in worldly life."

Mother Sarada Devi

« Last Edit: April 05, 2014, 08:43:38 AM by Nagaraj »
॥ शांतमात्मनि तिष्ट ॥
Remain quietly in the Self.
~ Vasishta

Nagaraj

• View Profile
« Reply #316 on: April 05, 2014, 08:46:10 AM »
?People find opportunities according to their fate and Karma. ... The fact
is, if one?s time to go beyond the world is ripe, one will break all bonds and
come; nobody will check him. Lack of money, awaiting somebody?s
approval, fear of having to go back, these are nothing.?

Mother Sarada Devi
॥ शांतमात्मनि तिष्ट ॥
Remain quietly in the Self.
~ Vasishta

Ravi.N

• View Profile
« Reply #317 on: April 12, 2014, 05:44:36 PM »
A disciple asked his teacher, 'Sir, please tell me how I can see God.' 'Come with me,' said the guru, 'and I shall show you.' He took the disciple to a lake, and both of them got into the water. Suddenly the teacher pressed the disciple's head under the water. After a few moments he released him and the disciple raised his head and stood up. The guru asked him, 'How did you feel?' The disciple said, 'Oh! I thought I should die; I was panting for breath.' The teacher said, 'When you feel like that for God, then you will know you haven't long to wait for His vision.'

The Gospel of Sri Ramakrishna

Ravi.N

• View Profile
« Reply #318 on: April 13, 2014, 08:50:50 AM »
The point is, to love God even as the mother loves her child, the chaste wife her husband, and the worldly man his wealth. Add together these three forces of love, these three powers of attraction, and give it all to God. Then you will certainly see Him.

Ravi.N

• View Profile
« Reply #319 on: May 10, 2014, 08:49:37 AM »
The Nitya and the Lila are the two aspects of the Reality. God, plays in the world as man for the sake of His devotees. They can love God only if they see Him in a human form; only then can they show their affection for Him as their Brother, Sister, Father, Mother, or Child.It is just for this love of the devotees that God contracts Himself into a human form and descends on earth to play His lila.

« Last Edit: May 10, 2014, 08:53:42 AM by Ravi.N »

Ravi.N

• View Profile
« Reply #320 on: May 10, 2014, 08:52:51 AM »
God has form and, again, He has none. Do you know how it is? Brahman, Existence-Knowledge-Bliss Absolute, is like a shoreless ocean. In the ocean visible blocks of ice are formed here and there by intense cold. Similarly, under the cooling influence, so to speak, of the bhakti of Its worshippers, the Infinite transforms Itself into the finite and appears before the worshipper as God with form. That is to say, God reveals Himself to His bhaktas as an embodied Person. Again, as, on the rising of the sun, the ice in the ocean melts away, so, on the awakening of Jnana, the embodied God melts back into the infinite and formless Brahman.

Ravi.N

• View Profile
« Reply #321 on: May 10, 2014, 08:56:03 AM »
As long as a man analyses with the mind, he cannot reach the Absolute. As long as you reason with your mind, you have no way of getting rid of the universe and the objects of the senses-form, taste, smell, touch, and sound. When reasoning stops, you attain the Knowledge of Brahman. Atman cannot be realized through this mind; Atman is realized through Atman alone. Pure Mind, Pure Buddhi, Pure Atman-all these are one and the same.

Ravi.N

• View Profile
« Reply #322 on: May 10, 2014, 09:00:25 AM »
I am your true mother, a mother not by virtue of being your guru's wife, nor by way of empty talk, but truly the mother.

Holy Mother Sri Sarada Devi

Ravi.N

• View Profile
« Reply #323 on: May 21, 2014, 08:39:23 AM »
God cannot be realized without childlike faith. The mother says to her child, pointing to a boy, 'He is your elder brother.' And the child at once believes that the boy is one hundred per cent his brother. Again, the mother says that a bogey man lives in a certain room, and the child believes one hundred per cent that the bogy man lives in the room. God bestows His grace on the devotee who has this faith of a child. God cannot be realized by the mind steeped in worldliness.

Ravi.N

• View Profile
« Reply #324 on: May 22, 2014, 07:53:48 AM »
The inferior devotee says, 'God exists, but He is very far off, up there in heaven.' The mediocre devotee says, 'God exists in all beings as life and consciousness.' The superior devotee says: 'It is God Himself who has become everything; whatever I see is only a form of God. It is He alone who has become maya, the universe, and all living beings. Nothing exists but God.'

Ravi.N

• View Profile
« Reply #325 on: May 24, 2014, 06:54:25 AM »
God very much relishes the bhakti of the poor and the lowly, just as the cow relishes fodder mixed with oil-cake. King Duryodhana showed Krishna the splendour of his wealth and riches, but Krishna accepted the hospitality of the poor Vidura. God is fond of His devotees. He runs after the devotee as the cow after the calf.

Ravi.N

• View Profile
« Reply #326 on: July 13, 2014, 06:53:52 AM »
Through selfless work, love of God grows in the heart. Then, through His grace one realizes Him in course of time. God can be seen. One can talk to him as I am talking to you.

Ravi.N

• View Profile
« Reply #327 on: July 13, 2014, 07:05:53 AM »
Remember that daya, compassion, and maya, attachment, are two different things. Attachment means the feeling of 'my-ness' toward one's relatives. It is the love one feels for one's parents, one's brother, one's sister, one's wife and children. Compassion is the love one feels for all beings of the world. It is an attitude of equality. If you see anywhere an instance of compassion, as in Vidyasagar, know that it is due to the grace of God. Through compassion one serves all beings. Maya also comes from God. Through maya God makes one serve one's relatives. But one thing should be remembered: maya keeps us in ignorance and entangles us in the world, whereas daya makes our hearts pure and gradually unties our bonds.

« Last Edit: July 13, 2014, 07:30:07 AM by Ravi.N »

Ravi.N

• View Profile
« Reply #328 on: July 15, 2014, 08:21:41 AM »
It is God who manifests Himself, in one aspect, as the scriptures; therefore one should worship the sacred books, such as the Vedas, the Puranas, and the Tantras. In another aspect He has become the devotee. The heart of the devotee is God's drawing-room. One can easily find one's master in the drawing-room. Therefore, by worshipping His devotee, one worships God Himself.

Ravi.N

• View Profile
« Reply #329 on: July 23, 2014, 06:58:11 AM »
What need is there even to bother one's head about whether God is formless or has a form? It is enough for a man to pray to Him, alone in solitude, weeping, 'O God, reveal Yourself to me as You are.'