Author Topic: Teachings of Sri Ramakrishna  (Read 250571 times)

sanjaya_ganesh

• View Profile
Re: Teachings of Sri Ramakrishna
« Reply #180 on: January 13, 2013, 08:49:07 AM »
Master said : "A maidservant in the house of a rich man performs all the household duties, but
her thoughts are fixed on her own home in her native village. She brings up her
Master's children as if they were her own. She even speaks of them as 'my Rama'
or 'my Hari'. But in her own mind she knows very well that they do not belong to her
at all."

Salutations to Bhagawan

Ravi.N

• View Profile
« Reply #181 on: January 25, 2013, 06:49:17 AM »
God with form is as real as God without form. Do you know what describing God as being formless only is like? It is like a man's playing only a
monotone on his flute, though it has seven holes. But on the same instrument another man plays different melodies. Likewise, in how many ways the believers in a Personal God enjoy Him! They enjoy Him through many different attitudes: the serene attitude, the attitude of a servant, a friend, a mother, a husband, or a lover

The Gospel of Sri Ramakrishna

Ravi.N

• View Profile
« Reply #182 on: January 26, 2013, 08:32:56 AM »
The mango grows and ripens on account of the covering skin. You throwaway the skin when the mango is fully ripe and ready to be eaten. It is possible for a man to attain gradually to the Knowledge of Brahman because of the covering skin of maya. Maya in its aspects of vidya and avidya may be likened to the skin of the mango. Both are necessary.

Ravi.N

• View Profile
« Reply #183 on: January 28, 2013, 08:44:30 AM »
I used to pray to Her in this way: 'O Mother! O Blissful One! Reveal Thyself to me. Thou must!' Again, I would say to Her: 'O Lord of the lowly! O Lord of the universe!Surely I am not outside Thy universe. I am bereft of knowledge. I am without discipline. I have no devotion. I know nothing. Thou must be gracious and reveal Thyself to me.'

Ravi.N

• View Profile
« Reply #184 on: January 30, 2013, 09:35:15 PM »
"Mere dry reasoning-I spit on it! I have no use for it! (The Master spits on the ground.)
"Why should I make myself dry through mere reasoning? May I have unalloyed love for the Lotus Feet of God as long as the consciousness of 'I' and 'you' remains with me!

Ravi.N

• View Profile
« Reply #185 on: February 02, 2013, 07:29:44 AM »
After having the vision of God man is overpowered with bliss. He becomes silent. Who will speak? Who will explain?

Ravi.N

• View Profile
« Reply #186 on: February 07, 2013, 06:39:41 AM »
one should look after one's mother as long as she is alive. I used to worship my mother with flowers and sandal-paste. It is the Mother of the Universe who is embodied as our earthly mother.
As long as you look after your own body, you must look after your mother too. Therefore I said to Hazra: 'when you have a cold, you procure black pepper, sugar candy, and salt. As long as you feel you must look after your body, you must look after your mother too.'
But it is quite different when you completely forget your body. Then God Himself assumes your responsibilities. A minor cannot look after himself; therefore a guardian is appointed for him. Chaitanyadeva, like a minor, could not look after himself

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #187 on: February 07, 2013, 01:08:31 PM »
Dear Ravi,

Nice post. There are many similarities between Sri Ramakrishna and Sri Bhagavan. Both looked after their mothers in spite of being
an ascetic (Sri Ramakrishna was a practical ascetic, though married to Mother Saradadevi). I also remember Sravanakumar of the
epic.

Arunachala Siva.

Nagaraj

• View Profile
« Reply #188 on: February 08, 2013, 04:38:09 PM »
Master's prayer

To my Divine Mother I prayed only for pure love. I offered flowers at Her Lotus Feet and prayed to Her:

'Mother, here is Thy virtue, here is Thy vice. Take them both and grant me only pure love for Thee. Here is Thy knowledge, here is Thy ignorance. Take them both and grant me only pure love for Thee. Here is Thy purity, here is Thy impurity. Take them both, Mother, and grant me only pure love for Thee. Here is Thy dharma, here is Thy adharma. Take them both, Mother, and grant me only pure love for Thee.'

(The Gospel of Sri Ramakrishna)

॥ शांतमात्मनि तिष्ट ॥
Remain quietly in the Self.
~ Vasishta

Nagaraj

• View Profile
« Reply #189 on: February 09, 2013, 09:38:59 PM »
Spiritual discipline

"What are the spiritual disciplines that give the mind its upward direction? One learns all this by constantly living in holy company.  The rishis of olden times lived either in solitude or in the company of holy persons; therefore they could easily renounce 'woman and gold' and 'fix their minds on God.  They had no fear nor did they mind the criticism of others.

Will-power needed for renunciation

"In order to be able to renounce, one must pray to God for the will power to do so.  One must immediately renounce what one feels to be unreal.  The rishis had this will-power.  Through it they controlled the sense-organs.  If the tortoise once tucks in its limbs, you cannot make it bring them out even by cutting it into four pieces
॥ शांतमात्मनि तिष्ट ॥
~ Vasishta

Ravi.N

• View Profile
« Reply #190 on: February 10, 2013, 07:29:20 AM »
Do you know the nature of devotees? When one devotee meets another, he says, 'Let me speak and you listen; and when you speak I shall listen.'

Ravi.N

• View Profile
« Reply #191 on: February 11, 2013, 06:59:24 AM »
Narendra once asked me, 'What good is there in bowing before the Brahmo Samaj temple?' The sight of the temple recalls to my mind God alone; then God-Consciousness is kindled in my mind. God is present where people talk about Him. One feels there the presence of all the holy places. Places of worship recall God alone to my mind

Nagaraj

• View Profile
« Reply #192 on: February 11, 2013, 09:48:00 AM »
Be on your guard even now. It is difficult, no doubt,
to check the torrent in the rainy season.
But a great deal of water has gone out.
If you build the embankment now
it will stand.

(The Gospel of Sri Ramakrishna)

॥ शांतमात्मनि तिष्ट ॥
~ Vasishta

silentgreen

• View Profile
« Reply #193 on: February 12, 2013, 10:45:34 AM »
People are without spiritual discipline and prayer, without renunciation and dispassion. They learn a few words and immediately start to deliver lectures.
First of all invoke the Deity, and then give lectures to your heart's content.
Homage to the Universal Being...Om Shanti ... Om Shanti ... Om Shanti ...

Nagaraj

• View Profile
« Reply #194 on: February 16, 2013, 06:37:22 AM »
 "Let me tell you something. You are a learned and intelligent and seriousminded soul. Keshab and you were like the two brothers, Gaur and Nitai. You have had enough of lectures, arguments, quarrels,discussions, and dissensions. Can such things interest you any more? Now gather your whole mind and direct it to God. Plunge deep into God"

॥ शांतमात्मनि तिष्ट ॥
~ Vasishta