Author Topic: Rough Notebook-Open Forum  (Read 478440 times)

atmavichar100

• View Profile
Re: Rough Notebook-Open Forum
« Reply #2430 on: November 24, 2019, 09:10:45 PM »
Once the private secretary to the Governor of Pondicherry came to the Ashram with a long list of questions written in an elaborate, complex style of French. Handing over the paper to Bhagavan, he sat on the window sill opposite the couch. Finding the questions in French, Bhagavan asked me to translate them.

As I was struggling with word-by-word translation and was finding the French difficult to translate, Bhagavan said, ?That?s not necessary, just tell me the gist.? I scanned the questions and told Bhagavan that he really didn?t want oral answers but rather in the form of an experience.

Bhagavan paused for a moment, and then slowly turned his face in the direction of the questioner and rested eyes on him. After about 30 seconds, I noticed the man?s body trembling and shaking all over.

Then he blurted out, ?Oh no, Bhagavan, not now! Please, Bhagavan, not now!? I was standing at the side of Bhagavan, watching this extraordinary scene and wondering what a being this Bhagavan was. He was a storehouse of power, yet so kind, gentle and compassionate.

- N. Balarama Reddy, My Reminiscences
However many holy words you read, however many you speak, what good will they do you if you do not act on upon them? - Buddha

atmavichar100

• View Profile
« Reply #2431 on: December 01, 2019, 11:18:45 AM »
'I' is the Foremost Name of God

Bhagavan: That which rises in the body as ?I? is the mind. If one enquires ?In which place in the body does the ?I? thought rise first??, it will be known to be in the Heart. That is the birthplace of the mind. Even if one incessantly thinks ?I-I?, it will lead to that place.

- Who am I? Essay version, The Path of Sri Ramana Part One, p.185

Question: Is not nama-japa [repetition of a divine name] helpful to attain jnana?
Bhagavan: Yes.

Question: Is not nishkama karma yoga [action performed selflessly, with no interest in a reward] also helpful?
Bhagavan: That is also helpful.

Question: What is the mutual relationship between name and form? Can one who does not have faith in nama-japa perform atma-vichara?

Bhagavan: They are not different in any way. This is the relationship. Name itself is form and form itself is name. Through nama-japa, the person who owns the name is reached.

If a person does not have firm faith in the name of any of the gods, but only has a longing to know himself, he can enquire into the word ?I?. For the thinking mind that is intent upon enquiring into the Self, ?I? is like a name. At this stage of practice, self-enquiry is the thinking of a name or a japa.

- Tamil Advent Souvenir, p.89
However many holy words you read, however many you speak, what good will they do you if you do not act on upon them? - Buddha

atmavichar100

• View Profile
« Reply #2432 on: December 03, 2019, 06:29:40 PM »
13th February, 1936
An elderly man from Anantapur, after hearing the Vedas recited in the hall, stood up and asked:
?It is said that the non-Brahmins should not hear the recital of the Vedas.?
BHAGAVAN: Mind your business. Take care of what you came here for. Why do you waste your time in these matters? ?I heard the recital,? you say. ?Who is that ?I?? Without knowing the ?I? you are using the word. If its significance be known there will be no doubt. Find the ?I? first and you may afterwards speak of other matters.?
Continuing, Sri Bhagavan said:
?The smritis say something. They are not appropriate now. I will reform the world, rewrite the smritis.? Saying so, people are cutting capers in the world from time immemorial. Such reformers have come and gone; but the ancient smritis still stand. Why waste time over such matters? Let each one mind his business.
All will be well.
Talks.

atmavichar100

• View Profile
« Reply #2433 on: December 04, 2019, 08:04:51 PM »
?The conception that there is a goal and a path to it is wrong.
We are the goal or peace always. To get rid of the notion that we are not peace is all that is required...?

Sri Ramana Maharshi

atmavichar100

• View Profile
« Reply #2434 on: December 05, 2019, 12:14:29 PM »
Looking after Muruganar
---------------------------------------------------
But Bhagavan didn?t just look after those who were in HIS immediate presence. Even those that were absent for one reason or another never escaped HIS mind.

Once in the dining hall Bhagavan, recalling Muruganar?s fondness for avail (an vegetable curry), said to Shanthammal, ?See, you have prepared avial today. Has anyone thought of giving a portion to Muruganar??

Shanthammal was touched by Bhagavan?s solicitude for her childhood friend and hurried to the kitchen, scooped up some avial in a coconut shell and set off for Palakothu. But by the time she got there, Muruganar had already left on his begging rounds. When he was in front of the Dakshinamurthi temple, Shanthammal caught up with him, calling out, ?Sambamoorthi! Sambamoorthi!?, the affectionate name she had used in their youth at Ramanathapuram. ?A fine person you are, wandering around like a madman, while Bhagavan is so concerned about you! Why don?t you come to the Ashram and have your meals with the rest of us?? she said. She then related the incident in the dining hall.

Muruganar was stunned. Overcome by emotion upon hearing about Bhagavan?s concern for his welfare, he kept repeating, ?Did Bhagavan say that? Was HE worried about me? Did HE say, ?Who will take care of Muruganar?? Such concern for me. How fortunate I am!?

His voice grew raspy and his eyes filled with tears. His face became flushed with emotion. Unable to support his frame, he simply sat on the steps of the temple, raised the coconut shell to his eyes and reverently poured the avial into his cupped palms and ate it as Bhagavan?s Mahaprasad.

- Cherished Memories, pp. 133-34

atmavichar100

• View Profile
« Reply #2435 on: December 05, 2019, 06:35:40 PM »
Unless and until a man embarks upon this quest of the true Self, doubt and uncertainty will follow his footsteps throughout life. The greatest kings and statesmen try to rule others, when in their heart of hearts they know that they cannot rule themselves. Yet the greatest power is at the command of the man who has penetrated to his inmost depth. There are men of giant intellects who spend their lives gathering knowledge about many things. Ask these men if they have solved the mystery of man, if they have conquered themselves, and they will hang their heads in shame. What is the use of knowing about everything else when you do not yet know who you are? Men avoid this enquiry into the true Self, but what else is there so worthy to be undertaken??

- Bhagavan Sri Ramana Maharshi

(From the book 'A Search in Secret India' the classic work on seeking a guru by Paul Brunton)

atmavichar100

• View Profile
« Reply #2436 on: December 07, 2019, 10:43:08 PM »
Paul Brunton: ?How long will it take to get some enlightenment with a Master?s help??
Bhagavan. ?It all depends on the maturity of the seeker?s mind. The gunpowder catches fire in an instant, while much time is needed to set fire to the coal.?

atmavichar100

• View Profile
« Reply #2437 on: December 07, 2019, 11:58:57 PM »
Q: Why is it sometimes I find concentration on the Self so easy and at other times hopelessly difficult?

Bhagavan: Because of vasanas. But really it is easy, since we are the Self. All we have to do is to remember that. We keep on forgetting it, and thus think we are this body, or this ego.
If the will and desire to remember the Self are strong enough, they will eventually overcome vasanas.
There must be a great battle going on inwardly all the time until the Self is realized. This battle is symbolically spoken of in scriptural writings as the fight between God and Satan.

atmavichar100

• View Profile
« Reply #2438 on: December 08, 2019, 03:33:37 PM »

Ravi.N

• View Profile
« Reply #2439 on: December 08, 2019, 04:15:47 PM »
Atma-vichar/Friends,
"There must be a great battle going on inwardly all the time until the Self is realized. This battle is symbolically spoken of in scriptural writings as the fight between God and Satan."
Looks like this passage is figuring in 'Conscious Immortality' and attributed to Sri Bhagavan.

This sort of a statement does not seem to bring out correctly what Bhagavan would have said...if it alludes to the battle between the Devas and asuras,in most cases the Devas were vanquished by the asuras and forced to take refuge in Lord Vishnu to bail them out!
Bhagavan never ever advocated fighting the 'bad' thoughts with 'good' ones.He never advocated any struggle with thoughts.He only advised self enquiry or self surrender.Both tantamount to the same thing (Non attention to thoughts).

Namaskar

atmavichar100

• View Profile
« Reply #2440 on: December 08, 2019, 05:54:33 PM »
Dear Ravi

That   particular post of mine was from a FB Post that regularly posts Bagavan's quotes and Answers from Bhagavan .Usually it has a reference  to the source but that particular post did not have any  and I do not know the original source . Anyway I will look out for the full conversation if it is available to see what Bhagavan was trying to convey because in many cases just one  question and answer is picked up from a long conversation .

atmavichar100

• View Profile
« Reply #2441 on: December 08, 2019, 08:45:14 PM »
11-11-45 Morning

Maha Vir Prasad, Chief Engineer, U.P., who has been staying here for about twenty days, asked Bhagavan, ?I find it said in Maha Yoga that in the beginning of meditation one may attend to the breath, i.e.. its inspiration and expiration, and that after a certain amount of stillness of the mind is thereby attained, one can dive into the heart seeking the source of the mind. I have been badly in want of some such practical hint. Can I follow this method? Is it correct??

Bhagavan: The thing is to kill the mind somehow. Those who have not the strength to follow the enquiry method are advised pranayama as a help to control the mind. And pranayama is of two kinds, one of controlling and regulating the breath and the other of simply watching the breath.

Prasad: During meditation I sometimes attain a state lasting for about fifteen minutes, during which I am not aware
of anything and am free from all thoughts. Some have told me that such a state is what may be called yoga nidra and that one should guard against such a state as bad.

Bhagavan: One should endeavour to get beyond sleep. (For some reason Bhagavan did not answer further the query put by Prasad). I thereupon advised Prasad to read Crumbs from the Table, where this particular matter is dealt with.
Bhagavan also asked us to take a copy of the book and give it to Prasad. We did so...

Day by Day with Bhagavan

atmavichar100

• View Profile
« Reply #2442 on: December 08, 2019, 09:28:41 PM »
Once , Kunju Swami felt he could not continuously meditate or pursue ' Self Enquiry ' and stay in the SELF.

He confessed to Bhagavan ,

? Bhagavan , I am not able to do this . The. flow gets interrupted .?

Bhagavan said ,

? Why ? It is very easy . Before you go to sleep , meditate and go into the Self . Then when you fall
asleep , your whole sleep will be a meditation of staying in the SELF.

The moment you wake up in the morning , again go into meditation for a few minutes and remain as the SELF .

Throughout the waking state , the undercurrent of remaining in the SELF will be there even though you are working , arguing or quarreling . This substratum will always keep you in the SELF ?

Kunju Swami said, ? This is the most beautiful and practical teaching I have received from Bhagavan.?