Author Topic: Teachings of Sri Ramakrishna  (Read 114276 times)

Nagaraj

• View Profile
Teachings of Sri Ramakrishna
« on: October 30, 2012, 09:47:38 PM »
Friends,

I felt, i have to open this topic to present the teachings of Sri Ramakrishna as i receive his teachings as along with the teachings of Sri Bhagavan, the teachings of Sri Ramakrishna also has begun to consume me, the sheer simplicity is mind blowing (literally ego blowing!). This is a small effort to collect those teachings that touch the core of my heart :) For discussion, we may use the common discussion thread as usual. thank you.

॥ शांतमात्मनि तिष्ट ॥
Remain quietly in the Self.
~ Vasishta

Nagaraj

• View Profile
Re: Teachings of Sri Ramakrishna
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2012, 09:49:49 PM »
"Surrender everything at the feet of God. What else can you do? Give Him the power of attorney. Let Him do whatever He thinks best. If you rely on a great man, he will never injure you.

॥ शांतमात्मनि तिष्ट ॥
~ Vasishta

Hari

• View Profile
    • Fundamental questions about mind
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2012, 09:55:12 PM »
The teachings of Sri Ramakrishna have also touched my heart too. His Love for God is so contageous that how could we resist? I always read His words with unexplainable happiness.
Web Page dedicated to the Great Sages:
https://someoneelsebg.000webhostapp.com/Sages/HTML.html

Hari

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2012, 09:57:39 PM »
"If you desire to be pure, have firm faith, and slowly go on with your devotional practices without wasting your energy in useless scriptural discussions and arguments. Your little brain will otherwise be muddled."

Hari

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2012, 10:11:34 PM »
"It is easy to talk on religion, but difficult to practice it."

Hari

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2012, 10:14:56 PM »

Hari

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2012, 11:35:55 PM »
Here I want to mark Sri Ramakrishna's view about the reality of the world:

M: "Is the world unreal?"

MASTER: "Why should it be unreal? What you are asking is a matter for philosophical discussion".

"In the beginning, when a man reasons following the Vedantic method of 'Not this, not this', he realizes that Brahman is not the living beings, not the universe, not the twenty-four cosmic principles. All these things become like dreams to him. Then comes the affirmation of what has been denied, and he feels that God Himself has become the universe and all living beings".

"Suppose you are climbing to the roof by the stairs. As long as you are aware of the roof, you are also aware of the stairs. He who is aware of the high is also aware of the low. But after reaching the roof you realize that the stairs are made of the same materials — brick, lime, and brick-dust — as the roof".

"Further, I have given the illustration of the bel-fruit. Both changeability and unchangeability belong to one and the same Reality".

"The ego cannot be done away with. As long as 'I-consciousness' exists, living beings and the universe must also exist. After realizing God, one sees that, it is He Himself Who has become the universe and the living beings. But one cannot realize this by mere reasoning".

Hari

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2012, 12:05:59 AM »
"Through selfless work, love of God grows in the heart. Then through His Grace one realize Him in course of time. God can be seen. One can talk to Him as I am talking to you."

Hari

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2012, 12:28:07 AM »
"More are the names of God and infinite are the forms through which He may be approached. In whatever name and form you worship Him, through them you will realise Him".

Nagaraj

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2012, 04:47:41 PM »

O' Mother, make me like sItA,
completely forgetful of everything -
body and limbs, totally unconscious
of hands, feet and sense organs -
Only one thought in her mind,

'Where is rAmA?
॥ शांतमात्मनि तिष्ट ॥
~ Vasishta

Ravi.N

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2012, 08:02:48 PM »

"It is one thing to learn about God from the scriptures, and quite another to see Him. The
scriptures only give hints. Therefore to read a great many scriptures is not necessary. It is
much better to pray to God in solitude".

The Gospel of Sri Ramakrishna

ramana_maharshi

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2012, 09:01:22 PM »
"It is one thing to learn about God from the scriptures, and quite another to see Him.

Wondering how did ramakrishna guru like many others can come to conclusion that god is human and discover his sex is male?

Ravi.N

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2012, 09:36:42 PM »
Black complexion of the Divine Mother

GOVINDA: "Revered sir, why does the Divine Mother have a black complexion?"

MASTER: "You see Her as black because you are far away from Her. Go near and you will
find Her devoid of all colour. The water of a lake appears black from a distance. Go near
and take the water in your hand, and you will see that it has no colour at all. Similarly, the
sky looks blue from a distance. But look at the atmosphere near you; it has no colour. The
nearer you come to God, the more you will realize that He has neither name nor form. If
you move away from the Divine Mother, you will find Her blue, like the grass-flower. Is
Syama male or female
? A man once saw the image of the Divine Mother wearing a sacred
thread. He said to the worshipper: 'What? You have put the sacred thread on the Mother's
neck!' The worshipper said: 'Brother, I see that you have truly known the Mother. But I
have not yet been able to find out whether She is male or female; that is why I have put the
sacred thread on Her image.'
"That which is Syama is also Brahman. That which has form, again, is without form. That
which has attributes, again, has no attributes. Brahman is Sakti; Sakti is Brahman. They are
not two. These are only two aspects, male and female, of the same Reality, Existence-
Knowledge-Bliss Absolute."

The Gospel of Sri Ramakrishna

ramana_maharshi

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2012, 01:22:13 AM »
The nearer you come to God, the more you will realize that He has neither name nor form.

why mentioned as he in the above quote?

"It is one thing to learn about God from the scriptures, and quite another to see Him.

why mentioned as him in the above quote?

when rama-krishna guru clearly mentions later that Brahman has No form then why again he mentions as he/she?

Ravi.N

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 01, 2012, 05:55:31 AM »
Prashant,
We need to approach with our heart and not with an analytical mind.When we approach our Mother,do we think that we are approaching a Female?No,we approach with Love.The 'He' or 'She' in these statements refer to God as someone intimate and personal,instead of as something impersonal.God is both,personal and impersonal.Some may like to think of God as Father,some as Mother,some as Master-the key thing is that through such beginnings one will gradually develop intimate relationship which would lead to the Realization-'You are me and I am You' and further on to saying 'Only you,not me' or 'That'.
Words have to be used but we need to grasp them not 'clutch'.
Namaskar.