Author Topic: Light Post  (Read 40236 times)

sanjaya_ganesh

• View Profile
Re: Light Post
« Reply #135 on: January 10, 2013, 10:00:11 AM »
So true....

Master : "What Brahman is cannot he described. All things in the world – the Vedas, the
Puranas, the Tantras, the six systems of philosophy – have been defiled, like food
that has been touched by the tongue, for they have been read or uttered by the
tongue. Only one thing has not been defiled in this way, and that is Brahman. No one
has ever been able to say what Brahman is."

VIDYASAGAR (to his friends): "Oh! That is a remarkable statement. I have learnt
something new today."

MASTER: "A man had two sons. The father sent them to a preceptor to learn the
Knowledge of Brahman. After a few years they returned from their preceptor's
house and bowed low before their father. Wanting to measure the depth of their
knowledge of Brahman, he first questioned the older of the two boys. 'My child,' he
said, 'You have studied all the scriptures. Now tell me, what is the nature of
Brahman?' The boy began to explain Brahman by reciting various texts from the
Vedas. The father did not say anything. Then he asked the younger son the same
question. But the boy remained silent and stood with eyes cast down. No word
escaped his lips. The father was pleased and said to him: 'My child, you have
understood a little of Brahman. What It is cannot be expressed in words.'

Ravi :) - I must thank you. I am nowadays deeply in love with the Gospel book. Cant pass a day even without reading at least a page

Sanjay
« Last Edit: January 10, 2013, 10:03:38 AM by sanjaya_ganesh »
Salutations to Bhagawan

Ravi.N

• View Profile
« Reply #136 on: January 10, 2013, 06:12:38 PM »
sanjaya,
I am delighted to see your post and to learn that you are Tasting the sweetness of The Gospel of Sri Ramakrishna.You are like the peacock that has tasted the Opium!Here is the excerpt that is so dear to me:
Fourth visit
The next day, too, was a holiday for M. He arrived at Dakshineswar at three o'clock in the
afternoon. Sri Ramakrishna was in his room; Narendra, Bhavanath, and a few other
devotees were sitting on a mat spread on the floor. They were all young men of nineteen or
twenty. Seated on the small couch, Sri Ramakrishna was talking with them and smiling.
No sooner had M. entered the room than the Master laughed aloud and said to the boys,
"There! He has come again." They all joined in the laughter. M. bowed low before him and
took a seat. Before this he had saluted the Master with folded hands, like one with an
English education. But that day he learnt to fall down at his feet in orthodox Hindu fashion.
The peacock and the opium
Presently the Master explained the cause of his laughter to the devotees, He said: "A man
once fed a peacock with a pill of opium at four o'clock in the afternoon. The next day,
exactly at that time, the peacock came back. It had felt the intoxication of the drug and
returned just in time to have another dose."(
All laugh.)
M. thought this a very apt illustration. Even at home he had been unable to banish the
thought of Sri Ramakrishna for a moment. His mind was constantly at Dakshineswar and
he had counted the minutes until he should go again
In the mean time the Master was having great fun with the boys, treating them as if they
were his most intimate friends. Peals of side-splitting laughter filled the room, as if it were
a mart of joy. The whole thing was a revelation to M. He thought: "Didn't I see him only
yesterday intoxicated with God? Wasn't he swimming then in the Ocean of Divine Love - a
sight I had never seen before? And today the same person is behaving like an ordinary man!
Wasn't it he who scolded me on the first day of my coming here? Didn't he admonish me,
saying, 'And you are a man of knowledge!'? Wasn't it he who said to me that God with
form is as true as God without form? Didn't he tell me that God alone is real and all else
illusory? Wasn't it he who advised me to live in the world unattached, like a maidservant in
a rich man's house?"
Sri Ramakrishna was having great fun with the young devotees; now and then he glanced at
M. He noticed that M. sat in silence. The Master said to Ramlal: "You see, he is a little
advanced in years, and therefore somewhat serious. He sits quiet while the youngsters are
making merry." M. was then about twenty-eight years old.

Thanks very much.
Namaskar.

Ravi.N

• View Profile
« Reply #137 on: January 10, 2013, 06:19:46 PM »
silentgreen,

"Sri Ramakrishna's life demonstrated that God can be experienced with as impersonal and as personal a manner as one likes.
No one can impose any limitations on God"

Friend,you have captured the very essence of Sri Ramakrishna's life and teachings.Your own posts in this thread and elsewhere has the Freshness and originality,and I deem it as the Grace of the Master.

Namaskar.

silentgreen

• View Profile
« Reply #138 on: January 11, 2013, 03:42:20 PM »
d: I find it difficult to chant 'Om'. It is too impersonal. What should I do?

cguru: Reverse it and chant 'Ma'. It is from the same source but now is more personal and full of assurances. It is as if 'Om' reverses itself to lighten the burden of the people.
Homage to the Universal Being...Om Shanti ... Om Shanti ... Om Shanti ...

Ravi.N

• View Profile
« Reply #139 on: January 13, 2013, 10:46:23 AM »
silentgreen,
'ma' is the mantra that is empowered by Sri Ramakrishna.It is what adorns the flag atop our Holy mother's shrine at jayarambati.
Thanks very much.
Namaskar.

silentgreen

• View Profile
« Reply #140 on: January 15, 2013, 04:25:20 PM »
Dear Tushinam, thanks for your comments. Let the disciple decide.

Dear Sri Ravi, yes, ma is like a mantra for those closely familiar with the life of Holy Mother. The word ma itself brings her face first in the mind.

Ravi.N

• View Profile
« Reply #141 on: January 15, 2013, 05:53:34 PM »
ssilentgreen,
Here is an excerpt from The Gospel of Sri Ramakrishna:

MASTER: "The Divine Mother and the earthly mother. It is the Divine Mother who exists
in the form of the universe and pervades everything as Consciousness. The earthly mother
gives birth to this body. I used to go into samadhi uttering the word 'Ma'. While repeating
the word I would draw the Mother of the Universe to me, as it were, like the fishermen
casting their net and after a while drawing it in
. When they draw in the net they find big
fish inside it.

Namaskar

silentgreen

• View Profile
« Reply #142 on: January 25, 2013, 10:50:55 AM »
d: Can you tell me an easy chanting for mind control?

cguru: Come to the group chanting session early morning.

Next day group chanting session with many disciples (dis)

cguru: The bird is flying
dis: and flying
cguru: and flying

cguru: But how long will the bird fly? So bird, you come down
dis: and down
cguru: and down

cguru: and sit
dis: and sit
cguru: and sit

cguru: and be still
dis: and still
cguru: and still

cguru: But the bird said: I won't come down
dis: and down
cguru: and down

cguru: because I am happy in the sky
dis: and sky
cguru: and sky

cguru: So bird, you fly
dis: and fly
cguru: and fly, and be happy in the sky
dis: and sky
cguru: and sky.

d: I must say that I have never heard such strange chanting. But the bird did not finally come down and down and down, sit and sit and sit and become still and still and still.

cguru: Because the bird has discovered its oneness with the sky. It has discovered the secret of actionlessness behind the actions.

silentgreen

• View Profile
« Reply #143 on: January 29, 2013, 09:17:09 AM »
d: I am not getting good sleep now-a-days. It is not good to depend on sleeping pills. Is there a remedy?

cguru: Yes, before going to bed read a long-winding book as if you are going to appear in an exam. This is a time-tested method which has put many a students to sleep. So do not doubt on the efficacy of this method.

silentgreen

• View Profile
« Reply #144 on: February 08, 2013, 10:32:15 AM »
d: How many types of delusions are there?

cguru: Basically two types. The first hides the Self.

d: And the second?

cguru: The second is the extension of the first. It projects itself as the Self.

Ravi.N

• View Profile
« Reply #145 on: February 08, 2013, 12:36:56 PM »
silentgreen,
First type of delusion can be treated;second type cannot be! :)
Namaskar.

sanjaya_ganesh

• View Profile
« Reply #146 on: February 08, 2013, 12:48:13 PM »
LOL :) - I like the second delusion...

Sanjay
Salutations to Bhagawan

Ravi.N

• View Profile
« Reply #147 on: February 11, 2013, 07:04:02 AM »
D:What is the difference between a guru ,a teacher and a preacher?
Cgruru(R1):A preacher makes a simple thing complex;a Teacher makes a complex thing simple;a guru shows the simple thing simply.

Ravi.N

• View Profile
« Reply #148 on: February 13, 2013, 11:40:17 AM »
A cool breeze was blowing.The day had dawned and Cguru(R1)was sitting under the Mango tree.Birds were chirping merrily.The Disciple arrived earlier than usual,looking upbeat.
D:Good Morning.Yesterday I met a Friend of mine and he gave me a very interesting news.
cguru(R1):Good morning.You look excited.
D:Yes,indeed.This friend of mine told me that a very reputed and famous Teacher is in town and will be conducting Regular classes on Vedanta.The Classes are beginning today.
Cguru(R1):Oh!
D:This friend told me that the unique thing about this teacher is that he reveals the Truth through a systematic teaching of the scriptures.He distinguishes himself as a Traditional teacher of Vedanta.
Cguru(R1):Oh!Very Good.
D:He further told me that he has attended this course by this teacher and and his methodology of systematic study of scriptures truly works.One is clearly shown what is what and one can see Truth for oneself.This very seeing is liberating and from then on one can live a fulfilled life.
Cguru(R1):Oh!Very Good.
D:He further told me that most seekers are groping for years  and lifetime even, without reaching anywhere despite their following a Ramana or a Ramakrishna.
Cguru(R1) picks up a few magoes that have ripened and fallen to the ground and heaps them in a place.Occasional Passers by can help themselves to the mangoes.
D:Ofcourse,my friend conceded that Ramakrishna and Ramana did realize the Truth;but their teachings are more like 'tidbits' served to this or that seeker who pressed them with questions.It is not a systematic presentation of their vision.Although this may be of some limited help to a few,by and large it is not adequate to reveal Truth which only a systematic study of scriptures alone can do.This is the 'Traditional' approach.
Cguru(R1) seats himself after leaving the mangoes in a bamboo tray.
D:I came early to tell you that starting from today,I am attending these classes.I will give you an update on the teachings.
Cguru(R1):Okay.That is nice.
D Picks up a mango and takes leave.

continued...
« Last Edit: February 13, 2013, 11:45:34 AM by Ravi.N »

atmavichar100

• View Profile
« Reply #149 on: February 13, 2013, 08:46:15 PM »
Ravi ji, thats ok ... but there can be some problems like this.
When I was studying in my college, I was explaining to my friend about buffers. I was trying to explain to him about file buffers and he was not getting it.
And then suddenly a friend entered , from nowhere and saw me explaining the concept ... he just seems to have heard memory and said "Its simple buddy, you know a floppy ? [those days floppys were still there], thats what it is " and this student of mine said "ah, its so simple i get it !! " :) and i was left stunned as to what I should say, because the concept that was being discussed was something else altogether :D

simple answer ... pointing to something else !
complex or simple is a perspective ... what is has to be presented as it is...
and when its said, one should not be left in a loop. One who can show what is , as it is ... is a guru.
a guru is supposed to have two qualifications according to mundaka : he should be a sthotriya, a person well versed in scriptures and he should be living it . without these two qualifications one become a guru ... thats according to mundaka upanishad.

Tuhnim

I was reminded of my collage days after reading what you wrote .
A friend of mine who was absolutely new to computers , computer terminology etc and we had to submit a simple project report . This was in a first year ( and hence not to be confused with the final year Project Report ) .The Lecturer had made it known that he wants the report to be submitted in Soft Copy ( meaning floppy in those days ) . My friend made the report and took a print out of the same and gave it to the Lecturer and the Lecturer told him didn't I tell you to get it in a soft copy . My friend argued that he has got it in a soft copy only . The lecturer took one of the Foppy Disc ( the 3.5 inch one ) and showed him this is what a soft copy is . My friend still trying to prove the lecturer wrong told him sir that is Hard Copy what you are having as u cant bend the floppy disk while I can bend this project report of mine and what I have is the soft copy and what u have is the hard copy ,so u are wrong and the lecturer got fed up and left  unable to argue with this chap :)
However many holy words you read, however many you speak, what good will they do you if you do not act on upon them? - Buddha