Author Topic: Light Post  (Read 40238 times)

Ravi.N

• View Profile
Re: Light Post
« Reply #120 on: January 09, 2013, 11:42:39 AM »
sanjay,
Yes,I appreciate your difficulty.We will take up this subject a little later.
For your consideration,I will post this excerpt from The Gospel of Sri Ramakrishna:
"What Brahman is cannot he described. All things in the world - the Vedas, the Puranas, theTantras, the six systems of philosophy - have been defiled, like food that has been touched by the tongue, for they have been read or uttered by the tongue. Only one thing has not
been defiled in this way, and that is Brahman. No one has ever been able to say whatBrahman is."

All that we have read or heard about Brahman -what it is,what it is not are all useless;one has to pick it like one does a dead rat by the tail and give it a decent burial. :)

More later.

Namaskar.

Ravi.N

• View Profile
« Reply #121 on: January 09, 2013, 11:45:30 AM »
udai,
You need to address it to silentgreen ;he perceived this ridicule and expressed it.I am now quite experienced and have learnt to ignore it as I realize that it comes from sheer ignorance of the subject matter.
Namaskar.

Ravi.N

• View Profile
« Reply #122 on: January 09, 2013, 11:55:13 AM »
udai,
you will the realize the Truth behind Sri Ramakrishna's statement only if you get rid of  the ego that is asserting its beliefs of what Brahman is or is not,including its presumption that  what 'remains' after elimination of other ideas is Brahman.How many wrong ideas have to be undone before Brahman is revealed!
Namaskar

Ravi.N

• View Profile
« Reply #123 on: January 09, 2013, 12:08:52 PM »
udai,
Please look at :"get rid of  the ego that is asserting its beliefs " and then we will talk about superimposition if need be.

To say what IS IS,is a no Brainer!We may also say What Is Not is Not-These things do not make any difference to us.

Namaskar.

sanjaya_ganesh

• View Profile
« Reply #124 on: January 09, 2013, 12:18:11 PM »
Ravi wrote:
All that we have read or heard about Brahman -what it is,what it is not are all useless

No doubts. Else why do we have stalwarts like Shankara and Ramanujacharya differing vehemently from one another and arguing lik we are doing here :) ? But I still dont understand "Brahman weeps" statement. If someone can explain it, please do. Else let us leave it and I will assume as always that we cannot understand Ramakrishna Bhagwan - which is true.

Sanjay
« Last Edit: January 09, 2013, 12:21:10 PM by sanjaya_ganesh »
Salutations to Bhagawan

Ravi.N

• View Profile
« Reply #125 on: January 09, 2013, 12:24:14 PM »
Udai,

if Ego is there, it cannot be got rid of. if Ego is not there, it need not be got rid of.
if Ramana had no ego ... how did he always eat from his own plate and not from neighbor's plate ??

Did Ramana say that he is eating from his own plate?It is you who say so.

How do you say that if the Ego is there it cannot be got rid off?You may say 'I am unable to shake it off';That is acceptable.

Namaskar.

Ravi.N

• View Profile
« Reply #126 on: January 09, 2013, 01:15:24 PM »
Udai,
You must have also heard the story about How Ramana discouraged people from serving extra helpings as well and directing them to serve others likewise;Doing that is service to ramana and not what they imagined as serving 'Ramana' is.For the same reason he discouraged devotees from eating from 'Ramana's' plate as you call it.

If Ego is a shadow,it cannot hide reality.That anology also has its limitation.So,if you are practising self-enquiry,you will not verbatim assume these ideas but will be simply be engaged in self-enquiry.Do that and then see whether the ego is there and what it is or is not.Let us not hang onto what we have read or heard.
Namaskar.

Ravi.N

• View Profile
« Reply #127 on: January 09, 2013, 01:29:42 PM »
udai,
I have mentioned self-enquiry.You may do self-enquiry part time or all the time;that depends on your earnestness and capacity.If one is into it full steam,that should become the Foreground and discussions will automatically take a back seat!This is all that I am saying.
Namaskar.

Ravi.N

• View Profile
« Reply #128 on: January 09, 2013, 01:44:02 PM »
udai,
First make sure you are doing self-enquiry;then we will see discuss other things.

Please read carefully,there is no background ,foreground in vedanta-that is only for analogy.You got to be the whole ,not something pieced together as foreground +background.The whole does not permit fractions.

I said 'backseat'.This means outside oneself,altogether.All these arguements are just the 'itching' of the ego and the more one scratches the more it will itch.Stop scratching and then see if the itch is there.

Namaskar.

silentgreen

• View Profile
« Reply #129 on: January 09, 2013, 03:16:34 PM »
One day the disciple with happy pride:
d: My friend does only 500 japas in one hour.

cguru: And you?

d: I do 5 lakh japas in one hour.

cguru: (surprised) How?

d: I do the first few japas myself and then start my computer japa program. It does japa very fast.

cguru: But that is a computer.

d: For your information, the memory of the computer is like our memory, so it is an extension of my memory. The processor of the computer is like our brain, so it is an extension of my brain. The will power which runs the computer is the same will power which runs my body. So I consider the computer as an extension of me only.

cguru: Good, your friend will surely receive the blessings of God.

d: And myself?

cguru: Your computer will surely receive the blessings of God.

Those who call God with their heart, God will enrich their heart. Those who call God with reason and other mechanical parts, God will bless the mechanical parts, but their heart will remain barren.
Homage to the Universal Being...Om Shanti ... Om Shanti ... Om Shanti ...

Ravi.N

• View Profile
« Reply #130 on: January 09, 2013, 08:54:00 PM »
sanjaya/Friends,

what does Sri Ramakrishna has to say on the statement he made:-'Brahman weeps, ensnared in the meshes of maya"?

MASTER (to M.): "The Nitya and the Lila are the two aspects of the Reality. God plays in the world as man for the sake of His devotees. They can love God only if they see Him in a human form; only then can they show their affection for Him as their Brother, Sister, Father, Mother, or Child.
It is just for this love of the devotees that God contracts Himself into a human form and descends on earth to play His lila."
"Everyone is under the spell of this world-bewitching maya. When God assumes a human
body, He too comes under the spell
. Rama wandered about weeping for Sita. 'Brahman
weeps entangled in the snare of the five elements.' But you must remember this: God, by
His mere will, can liberate Himself from this snare
."
BHAVANATH: "The guard of a railway train shuts himself of his own will in a carriage;
but he can get out whenever he wants to.
'
MASTER: 'The Isvarakotis-Divine Incarnations, for instance-can liberate themselves
whenever they want to; but the jivakotis cannot. Jivas are imprisoned by 'woman and gold'.
When the doors and windows of a room are fastened with screws, how can a man get out?"
BHAVANATH (smiling): "Ordinary men are like the third-class passengers on a railway
train. When the doors of their compartments are locked, they have no way to get out
."

continued....

Ravi.N

• View Profile
« Reply #131 on: January 09, 2013, 09:11:53 PM »
sanjaya/Friends,
For those who do not accept that God can manifest in a special way as an avatar,Sri Ramakrishna explains this in a different way.Here is an Excerpt:
HARI: "Why is there so much suffering in the world?"
MASTER: "This world is the līlā of God. It is like a game. In this game there are joy and
sorrow, virtue and vice, knowledge and ignorance, good and evil. The game cannot
continue if sin and suffering are altogether eliminated from the creation.
"In the game of hide-and-seek one must touch the 'granny' in order to be free. But the
'granny' is never pleased if she is touched at the very outset. It is God's wish that the play
should continue for some time. Then "Out of a hundred thousand kites, at best but one or two break free;
And Thou dost laugh and clap Thy hands, O Mother, watching them"!

In other words, after the practice of hard spiritual discipline, one or two have the vision of
God, through His grace, and are liberated. Then the Divine Mother claps Her hands in joy
and exclaims, 'Bravo! There they go!' "

HARI: "But this play of God is our death."

MASTER (smiling): "Please tell me who you are. God alone has become all this-maya, the
universe, living beings, and the twenty-four cosmic principles
. 'As the snake I bite, and as
the charmer I cure
.' It is God Himself who has become both vidya and avidya. He remains
deluded by the maya of avidya, ignorance. Again, with the help of the guru, He is cured by
the maya of vidya, Knowledge.
"Ignorance, Knowledge, and Perfect Wisdom. The jnani sees that God alone exists and is
the Doer, that He creates, preserves, and destroys. The vijnani sees that it is God who has
become all this

Both Happiness and Sorrow are coatings on the underlying Bliss.Don't we enjoy tragedy in cinema and are moved whenever anything tragic happens.Nothing wrong with weeping as long as it does not become a habit! :)
It is saguna Brahman that weeps!If Brahman cannot weep,then who else does!
Namaskar.

silentgreen

• View Profile
« Reply #132 on: January 10, 2013, 06:41:42 AM »
Dear Sri Ravi,

Excellent description.
Sri Ramakrishna's life demonstrated that God can be experienced with as impersonal and as personal a manner as one likes.

No one can impose any limitations on God.
Homage to the Universal Being...Om Shanti ... Om Shanti ... Om Shanti ...

sanjaya_ganesh

• View Profile
« Reply #133 on: January 10, 2013, 06:48:55 AM »
Ravi

Ramakrishna Bhagawan is MATCHLESS in his clarity of words. As I read these, my hair just stands out. Also felt extremely sad whether I will ever ever be able to reach those heights to even comprehend him.

Is this from Gospel ?

Sanjay
Salutations to Bhagawan

Ravi.N

• View Profile
« Reply #134 on: January 10, 2013, 08:14:52 AM »
sanjaya,
Yes,these are excerpted from The Gospel of Sri Ramakrishna.His words carry an inherent simplicity and power to dispel doubts and reveal the devotion that lies buried in us and clarify the path for us and infuse us with faith and enthusiasm.
The beauty of Sri Ramakrishna's teachings is that it is so accessible and layered so that the least of us will find something in it that fires our zeal;yet it has unfathomable depth that no one can say-'I have understood Sri Ramakrishna'!Even Swami Vivekananda was nervous when he spoke about Sri Ramakrishna in public and openly confessed so.If such a Giant of an intellect of swamiji hesitated to speak about the Master,we can only suspend our judgement when we do not understand anything that the Master has said.
If we are earnest ,he will give us the required understanding when we are ripe enough for that.
I intend posting about this aspect of the Master  from Swami Saradananda's-Sri Sri Ramakrishna Lilaprasanga-Sri Ramakrishna and his Divine Play(Translated by Swami Chetanananda)in The Rough Note Book thread.
Namaskar.