Author Topic: Light Post  (Read 38215 times)

silentgreen

• View Profile
Light Post
« on: October 29, 2012, 03:35:30 PM »
Got a mail from friend Nagraj. Thought I should come for another spell since he remembered me so kindly. Now I will post "Light Post".  Posts will be light and may throw light, so Light Post.

The thread will be a conversation between a companion guru (cguru) and a disciple. cguru is more of a companion to spend idle time under a banyan tree than a guru. Whether he is self-realized is unknown, neither is the disciple bothered about it. Spending idle time is what matters.

Externally cguru has all good marks. He has matted hair and long beard. Sometimes he puts marks of Shiva and sometimes insignia of Vishnu, depending on the festival. During Muruga festival he will stick some feathers of peacock over a duck and say it is the peacock of Muruga. From his appearance he can be judged either as a sage or eccentric; either of great austerity or an idler.

What type of conversation happens between the guru and the disciple?
Obviously Light, so Light Post.

Here is a sample conversation.

d: Today I visited a forum. There only one member, one Mr S. is there from the beginning of the forum. Other members come and go; go and come.

cguru: Is it the forum of Bhagavan Ramana?

d: How do you know?

cguru: Because things are happening as per his sayings?

d: What? Did Bhagavan told anything about forum?

cguru: Bhagavan said, behind all thoughts there will be a primary "I" thought which will be steady. All other secondary thoughts will come and go

Homage to the Universal Being...Om Shanti ... Om Shanti ... Om Shanti ...

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
Re: Light Post
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2012, 04:18:50 PM »
Dear Silentgreen,

Wecome back. Your posts are ever insightful. Why do we do all these writings, quoting Sri Bhagavan, Upanishads, Vedanta,
Sankara Bhashyam, etc., etc. Because we are not able to remain Summa.

Sri Bhagavan says in Ashtakam Verse 6:

Thou are Thyself, the One Being, ever aware as the Self luminous Heart. In Thee, there is a mysterious power (adhisaya sakti)
which without Thee is nothing. From it proceeds the phantom of mind emitting its latent dark subtle mists, which, illumined by
Thy light of consciousness reflected on them, appear within as thoughts whirling in the vortices of prarabdha, later developing
into the psychic worlds and projected outwardly, as the material world transformed into concrete objects, which are magnified
by the outgoing senses, and move like pictures in the cinema show. Visible or invisible, Oh Hill of grace, without Thee they
are nothing.

Arunachala Siva.           

Nagaraj

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2012, 05:25:26 PM »
Sri Silentgreen,

So nice to see you back :) Looking forward for a good satsang with you in your simple and insightful posts!

with prayers,

॥ शांतमात्मनि तिष्ट ॥
Remain quietly in the Self.
~ Vasishta

Jewell

• Love,always love and only love
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2012, 05:30:13 PM »
Dear Silengreen,

It is indeed Light post.  :) Nice analogy.

With love and prayers,

Ravi.N

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2012, 06:18:01 PM »
Silentgreen,
I have enjoyed going through your posts here,especially your 'swimming in different ponds'!I like this post here and would like to spend time with this cguru.Looks like cguru has borrowed the art of changing insignias from the chamaleon that changes its colour in the Sri Ramakrishna parable!
Namaskar.

silentgreen

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2012, 07:15:31 PM »
Dear Subramaniam,

As usual you are there with the core teachings of Bhagavan. Now I do not have any doubt that Mr S. mentioned in the above story refers to you only, the one steady stream in the forum. I suggest you also do not doubt that.

Mr Ravi, Jewel and other members of the forum. Greetings to you on behalf of cguru.

So now begins the second conversation. One sunny morning:

It is better to love everyone, as much as possible.

d: I visited some temples but did not feel much bhakti.

cguru: Many things come out by practice.

d: You mean such inner things as bhakti.

cguru: When a mustard seed comes in touch with soil and air, a green shoot sprouts, and as days go beautiful green leaves come out. Listen to this story:

A foreigner came to India and attended a Rama Sankirtan. He was so impressed that he took initiation in Rama Mantra then and there along with many Indians. But after initiation as days passed, while others were happy, a gloom covered his face. He would not tell the reason to anyone but only say, "It seems Rama has decided to withheld His grace from me."

When three days were left before his departure, an easy-going monk went to him and said,

monk: God comes in many forms; if you are not happy with Sri Rama, you can choose another form.

for: No, I love Rama dearly, but ....

monk: Then tell me the reason. Anyway you are going away after 3 days. Everything will be over. Maybe I can help.

Then the foreigner disclosed his pain for the first time.

for: Even though I love Sri Rama, I am afraid, I do not like monkeys and monkey-like creatures. But they are everywhere associated with Sri Rama.

monk: You should have read the entire Ramayana before taking initiation. The monkeys served Rama more than human beings. Their devotion is too great.

for: So what should I do? Leave Sri Rama?

monk: It is not good to leave. I suggest you extend your visit for 3 more months. Then everyday go that temple where lot of monkeys come. Take a bunch of bananas and taking the name of Rama, peel each one and give it to the monkeys. Think that the name of Rama is there in the monkeys also.

After three months the foreigner came with a smile. He said:
for: As you said everyday I took a bunch of bananas and taking the name of Sri Rama gave it to the monkeys. As days passed a bond started growing between us. Now I play with those monkeys. I have realised that it is better to love everyone as much as possible. Name of Rama is there in all.

monk: I feel extremely glad to hear this. You used to say that Rama has witheld His grace from you. But I see that Rama made a priority to shower His grace on you, perhaps since you came covering so much distance. So in three months you came to an understanding which takes lifetime for others.

cguru: What do you think of this.

d: hmmm.

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2012, 08:11:03 PM »
Dear silentgreen,

Sri Bhagavan (Sri Bhagavan again!) says in Pancharatnam Verse 5:

He who dedicates his mind to Thee and seeing Thee, always beholds the universe (and all its beings) as Thy figure,
he who at all times glorifies Thee and  loves Thee  as none other than the Self, he is the master without rival, being one with Thee, Oh Arunachala, and lost in Thy bliss.

Prof. Swaminathan's translation is more explicit:

He who, with Heart to you surrendered,
Beholds for ever you alone,
Sees all things as forms of you
And loves and serves them  as none other
Than the Self , O Aruna Hill
Triumphs because he is immersed '
in you whose being is pure bliss.

Arunachala Siva.

silentgreen

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2012, 05:31:27 PM »
Dear Tushinam, You can meet cguru under the banyan tree there.

Dear Subramaniam, Very nice verse. We came from God, we are in God, and will return to God. In between is this small life often filled with tensions and depressions.

That is exactly what happened to the disciple. One day he came in a depressed mood and sat under the banyan tree without speaking a single word.

cguru: What happened?

d: Life is a struggle. Everyday we need to do a lot of tasks. There is no guarantee that a single will succeed, but there is guarantee that each will drain our energy.

There was a long pause.

d: Is there a way out?

cguru: Following the arrow.

d: Which arrow?

cguru: Listen to this story.

A veteran archer who practised archery for 20 years was one day depressed thinking: There is no perfection in life. Even after 20 years of archery I need to keep full concentration to hit the mark. A little slippage and things go to imperfection. It takes so much effort to learn a thing but so easy to lose it.

When thus thinking he heard that there is a guru who makes young boys of 10 years like veteran archers who hits the bulls eye with almost 100% success. They practised within a closed practice arena. The archer did not believe it and decided to investigate.

He hid himself outside the practice arena and listened to the sound of arrows hitting the plank - tak, tak, tak. When the practice was over he secretly entered the arena and found to his surprise that most of the arrows have hit the bulls eye. Judging the distance from where they were shot he determined that evem for expert archers it is not possible to hit the bulls eye with such accuracy. He thought: There is something fishy taking place. Let me investigate.

to be cont...

Nagaraj

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2012, 08:38:57 PM »
cguru, prabhu, my prostrations to you, i was walking pass this road, and could feel sense immense peace surging out from within, hence that has pulled me here to you, to this big banyan tree, i sit silently.
॥ शांतमात्मनि तिष्ट ॥
~ Vasishta

silentgreen

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2012, 11:14:16 AM »
Dear Nagraj, thanks, you are the first to prostrate before cguru. cguru will definitely consider this.

So the story continues. The archer thought: How can young boys of 10 years hit the mark so accurately which expert archers cannot do? Let me investigate.

So one day he secretly entered the arena during practice and hid himself behind a tree. To his utter dismay he saw that boys were shooting with great concentration; after shooting wherever the arrows were hitting, they were drawing bull's eye around it.

The archer could no longer take this. He said: Boys, is it good that in the absence of your guru you cheat him behind his back?

The boys said: Our guru told us to do this.
Archer: I cannot believe this. Right now I am going to complain to your guru. So he left.

The guru was meditating under a tree. The archer came and said: Sir you are meditating here and your boys are cheating there. They are hitting the arrows and then drawing bull's eye around it.

guru (calmly): I told them to do like that.

archer: why?

guru: To put success in their own hands.

archer: What success? You are spoiling their lives.

guru: You are only seeing the external flight of the arrow. But Shakti shoots the first arrow from Her Heart. After travelling through subtle planes it becomes the gross prana, which gives the strength to shoot the external arrow. So I said: Boys, first concentrate on the Heart of your chosen deity and try to trace the flight of the inner arrow.
... If that fills your heart with joy, consider your goal reached. Then wherever your outer arrow hits, draw a bull's eye around it.

The archer was not convinced and left.

Several years later he pondered. There is a point in what the guru said. Feeling the prana without any goal is itself a joy. Working just to feel the prana without any goal is itself a joy. The persons who exercises in the gym does this. Much more can this be for a person who can trace from behind the prana.

cguru: The external flight of the arrow is uncertain. The inner flight is certain. How do you feel now?

d: Better

silentgreen

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2012, 05:18:03 AM »
d: So should we draw a bull's eye wherever our arrow goes?

cguru: The school was not about archery but essentially meditation. External targets are there. Take the best aim, but try to trace the inner arrow before releasing the outer arrow.

d: But why trace the inner arrow?

cguru: There are two efficiencies of work. Outer and Inner. More output with less input is outer efficiency. More tracing of inner arrow is inner efficiency. Ideally both should be there.

d: Why inner efficiency is required?

cguru: For spiritual progress. One may not have time for meditation but one must spend time for work. With only outer efficiency, the limited lifespan gets exhausted decorating the outside only. Inner efficiency is spiritual efficiency. Now time gets allotted during work within the limited lifespan to dig into the source which is the source behind the limited lifespan.

Pause.

cguru: What did you understand?

d: There is an inner bow.

Ravi.N

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2012, 05:36:32 AM »
silentgreen,
Wonderful posts.I really enjoy your simple way of expressing deep Truth-moorthi ArAdhana is Atma DhyAna.Outer expression always has a limitation whereas the the inner Tatva that it expresses is free from such limits.The outer invokes the inner and the inner imbues value to the outer.Thanks very much.
Namaskar.

silentgreen

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2012, 04:14:23 PM »
Dear Sri Ravi,
Yes, Moorti Dhyana and Atma Dhyana. Moorti Dhyana is often easier and gives the sweetness of the divine bliss. For Atma Dhyana directly mind needs to be extremely pure, else it will end up in dhyana on the ego or other thoughts; and one will not realize this for many years until the mind actually obtains the purity.

Sri Ramakrishna said:
M: Sir, suppose one believes in God with form. Certainly He is not the clay image!
Master (interrupting): But why clay? It is an image of Spirit.

And to Surendra one day:
But can one not see God as formless Reality? Of course one can, but not if one has the slightest trace of worldliness. The rishis of olden times renounced everything and then contemplated Satchidananda, the Indivisible Brahman.

The Brahmajnanis of modern times sing of God as 'immutable, homogeneous'. It sounds very dry to me. It seems the singer's themselves don't enjoy the sweetness of God's Bliss. One does'nt want a refreshing drink made with sugar candy if one is satisfied with mere coarse treacle. Just see how happy you are, looking at this image of the Deity. But those who always cry after the formless Reality do not get anything. They realize neither inside or outside
--------

Hence the inner arrow is the arrow of the Divine Name through which one best communes with God.

Nagaraj

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2012, 04:31:25 PM »
Sri Silentgreen, Sri Ravi,

Question: I have faith in murti dhyana [worship of form]. Will it not help me to gain jnana?

Sri Ramana Maharshi: Surely it will. Upasana [meditation] helps concentration of mind. Then the mind is free from other thoughts and is full of the meditated form. The mind then becomes one with the object of meditation, and this makes it quite pure. Then think who is the worshipper. The answer is ā€˜Iā€™, that is the Self. In this way the Self is ultimately gained.

Worshiping the formless reality by un-thought thought is the best kind of worship. But when one is not fit for such formless worship of God, worship of form alone is suitable. Formless worship is possible only for people who are devoid of the ego-form. Know that all the worship done by people who possess the ego-form is only worship of form.

(Be as you are)

॥ शांतमात्मनि तिष्ट ॥
~ Vasishta

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 01, 2012, 05:08:31 PM »
Dear all,

There is a beautiful conversation in Talks No. 389:

D: What is the relation between Brahman and Isvara?

M: Brahman is called Isvara in relation to the world.

D: Then why does it not happen with us?

M: It requires purity and strength of mind and practice in meditation.

D: Does god become evident if the above conditions exist?

M: Such manifestations are as real as your own reality (with reference to  objective world)

He then narrated one story of an old Siva bhakta whom Namdev sought out to meet in a temple. When that  old
man too weak to even move his legs was lying in the garbha graha of the temple.  Namadev got angry at seeing
him keeping the legs on the Lingam. He told him to remove his legs. He said he is too old to even to shift his legs
and asked him, to move the legs. As Namadev moved his legs, on that place a Lingam appeared afresh. He moved
his legs to many angles and everywhere a Lingam appeared! Finally he moved his legs atop his head and Namadev
Himself had become a Lingam.
Visions of God have their place just below the plane of Self Realization.

Arunachala Siva.