Author Topic: Quiet mind for what purpose ?  (Read 1860 times)

right2be

• View Profile
Quiet mind for what purpose ?
« on: October 29, 2012, 03:00:27 AM »
Hello brothers,

Seek a quiet mind. I have a question wether  this is so that we may self enquire with little distracting thoughts or is this so that we should meditate and rest in this silence with not even the thought of I ?

Ivac_d

Ravi.N

• View Profile
Re: Quiet mind for what purpose ?
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2012, 06:18:45 AM »
Ivac,
We are not seeking a quiet mind;it is jsut that unless the mind is quiet we cannot succeed even in the world.A quiet mind is one that can be put to good use ,whatever be the objective.
Silence is not of the Mind,but comes when the Root of the mind,the 'I' is enquired into;Now when we say enquired into,it is not something done by the head.It is more a plunging into the awareness ,By following the Trail of 'I'.This is Bhakti or Devotion only.This is the significance of the 'Oyster and the Rain drop' that I have already mentioned.

I have already given How Sri Aurobindo characterises the subtle difference between the following terms:
The words “peace, calm, quiet, silence” have each their own shade of meaning, but it is not easy to define them.

Peace—sänti.
Calm—sthiratä.
Quiet—acancalatä.
Silence—niscala nïravatä.

Quiet is a condition in which there is no restlessness or disturbance.
Calm is a still unmoved condition which no disturbance can effect—it is less negative condition than quiet.
Peace is a still more positive condition; it carries with it a sense of settled and harmonious rest and deliverance.
Silence is a state in which either there is no movement of the mind or vital or else a great stillness which no surface movement can pierce or alter.

Namaskar.

Ravi.N

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2012, 06:28:13 AM »
ivac,
I am posting excerpts from Sri Aurobindo's 'Letters on Yoga'.These were written in response to the queries of Disciples expressing doubts and difficulties in Sadhana.They will perhaps be useful to you and other seekers as well.

"Experience in the sadhana is bound to begin with the mental plane,—all that is necessary is that the experience should be sound and genuine. The pressure of understanding and will in the mind and the Godward emotional urge in the heart are the two first agents of Yoga, and peace, purity and calm (with a lulling of the lower unrest) are precisely the first basis that has to be laid; to get that is much more important in the beginning than to get a glimpse of the supraphysical worlds or to have visions, voices and powers. Purification and calm are the first needs in the Yoga. One may have a great wealth of  experiences of that kind (worlds, visions, voices, etc.) without them, but these experiences occurring in an unpurified and troubled consciousness are usually full of disorder and mixture.

At first the peace and calm are not continuous, they come and go, and it usually takes a long time to get them settled in the nature. It is better therefore to avoid impatience and to go on steadily with what is being done. If you wish to have something beyond the peace and calm, let it be the full opening of the inner being and the consciousness of the Divine Power working in you. Aspire for that sincerely and with a great intensity but without impatience and it will come.

- Sri Aurobindo

Ravi.N

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2012, 06:31:34 AM »
Ivac/Friends,
an Excerpt from 'Letters on Yoga':

The first step is a quiet mind—silence is a further step, but quietude must be there; and by a quiet mind I mean a mental consciousness within, which sees thoughts arrive to it and move about but does not itself feel that it is thinking or identifying itself with the thoughts or call them its own. Thoughts, mental movements may pass through it as wayfarers appear and pass from elsewhere through a silent country—the quiet mind observes them or does not care to observe them, but, in either case, does not become active or lose its quietude. Silence is more than quietude; it can be gained by banishing thought altogether from the inner mind, keeping it voiceless or quiet outside, but more easily it is established by a descent from above—one feels it coming down, entering and occupying or surrounding the personal consciousness which then tends to merge itself in the vast impersonal silence.

- Sri Aurobindo

Ravi.N

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2012, 06:36:42 AM »
ivac/Friends,
An excerpt from 'Letters on Yoga':

Aspire, concentrate in the right spirit and, whatever the difficulties, you are sure to attain the aim you have put before you.

It is in the peace behind and that “something truer” in you that you must learn to live and feel it to be yourself. You must regard the rest as not your real self, but only a flux of changing or recurring movements on the surface which are sure to go as the true self emerges.

Peace is the true remedy; distraction by hard work is only a temporary relief—although a certain amount of work is necessary for the proper balance of the different parts of the being. To feel the peace above and about your head is a first step; you have to get connected with it and it must descend into you and fill your mind and life and body and surround you so that you live in it—for this peace is the one sign of the Divine’s presence with you, and once you have it all the rest will begin to come.

Truth in speech and truth in thought are very important. The more you can feel falsehood as being not part of yourself, as coming on you from outside, the easier it will be to reject and refuse it.

Persevere and what is still crooked will be made straight and you will know and feel constantly the truth of the Divine’s presence and your faith will be justified by direct experience.

- Sri Aurobindo

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2012, 01:24:46 PM »
Dear ivac-d, Tusnim,

It is more due to conflicting thoughts that cramp the mind. When we are late for the train and we rush to the railway station
by taxi. On the way, our mind is having conflicting thoughts, whether the train would have left or be still there. Ultimately,
when we reach the railway station, we find the train still being there. Then we get into the proper compartment, and occupy
the proper seat. Now see the mind. The mind is all at peace. Because there is no thought at least about the train being missed.

Arunachala Siva.

right2be

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2012, 04:02:14 AM »
Thank you for all your beautiful replies.

understanding grows deeper everyday because of your all helping to guide me.

ivac_d

Nagaraj

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2012, 05:03:39 PM »
Sri Ivac,

a stray thought passed my head, that suits this thread:

Quiet mind....  to respond and not react!

॥ शांतमात्मनि तिष्ट ॥
Remain quietly in the Self.
~ Vasishta

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2012, 05:21:49 PM »
Dear Nagaraj,'

I think 'quiet mind' is a happy thoughtless mind. Thoughts only disturb the quietude of the mind.

Arunachala Siva.

Nagaraj

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2012, 07:50:21 PM »
Dear Sir,

What you have said is true, but that is the mukti, there is no attainment of mukti, therefore, only through a quiet mind, can we be able to respond thoughtfully, which alone, truly expends our prArabdha karmA, which paves way for mukti, or thoughtless mind, all those descriptions of brahman! What matters for a mukta, if it is quiet mind or an unquiet mind? who has, and is oneself (gone) beyond mind! Therefore, in this context, a quiet mind is referred to (sAdhakA), that still and steady and composed and cool state of mind, that is able to exercise (yOgah) karmasukaushalam, (yoga is) skill in action, the right action, this is truly the God's will, such actions are truly the actions of God. And, it is only with a calm and composed and quiet mind can one truly bring out from the depths within oneself, true wisdom, one can tap or connect to this source only when one is able to respond and not react due to an agitated state of mind, that usually results in inviting newer karmAs.

« Last Edit: October 30, 2012, 07:52:09 PM by Nagaraj »
॥ शांतमात्मनि तिष्ट ॥
Remain quietly in the Self.
~ Vasishta

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2012, 04:34:38 PM »
Dear nagaraj,

I took the quiet mind a thoughtless mind which is Suddha Manas. Pure Mind. Pure Mind is Self says Muruganar.

Arunachala Siva.