Author Topic: Common Discussion  (Read 35097 times)

Ravi.N

• View Profile
Re: Common Discussion
« Reply #120 on: December 22, 2012, 10:02:44 AM »
Udai/Friends,

"jk confuses people a lot"

Translation:I am unable to understand what He says.I get confused reading him.

"Annamalai Swami would solve the problem once and for all"

Translation:His words tally with what I experience.I Okay him.

Namaskar.

Ravi.N

• View Profile
« Reply #121 on: December 22, 2012, 10:06:00 AM »
Udai/Friends,

"Dont want for "Sadhana Chatushtayam". From my experience, I improved in them as I kept hearing guru ji. Start with Sravana."

Translation:My Experience is universal.Others can take it as a Reference.

Namaskar.

Ravi.N

• View Profile
« Reply #122 on: December 22, 2012, 10:15:31 AM »
udai,
No,i have not deviated from the Topic.I will post once more:
udai,
You are again confusing the dualistic and Nondualistic standpoints.
For Sadhana ,a Goal is required.When Swami is saying there is 'no Goal' he is referring to the fact that it is not something extrinsic to oneself.One need not imagine it and run after the imagined.
If you see Tim 's video on annamalai Swami,he clearly mentions how he experienced a 'coolness'(kulirchi in Tamizh)referring to his chest in the middle.This sort of a pointing to a definitive experience is indeed required,as the seeker then knows that he is moving in the Right direction.Not just this,it acts as an incentive and automatically makes him drop all that has to be dropped;rather they drop away!No need to 'Stop identifying'!

'Ultimately'-Is this not Hypothetical?It is as if saying that one should eat the 'Last Banana' right at the outset.That would have obviated the need in wasting time in eating the previous Bananas!
May be there is no 'Ultimate' at all!
Namaskar.

atmavichar100

• View Profile
« Reply #123 on: December 22, 2012, 10:21:51 AM »
Dear Atmavichar,
     :)

Ok then if I need to sum up the entire spiritual journey it  is :
1) First Prepare for receiving the self knowledge through "Sadhana Chatushtaya"
2) Then receive Self Knowledge from a Guru ( through Sravanam , Mananam )
3) After receiving the Self knowledge internalize the knowledge through Niddhidayasanam which we use the term Sadhana for "Not identifying with the non binding vasanas"

Very much true, with small comments:
1. Dont want for "Sadhana Chatushtayam". From my experience, I improved in them as I kept hearing guru ji. Start with Sravana. 3 takes care of any lapses in 1.
2. in (3) , you have made a typo : Not identifying with the non binding vasanas" , its not identifying with binding vasanas.

You are absolutely correct. And I stress the importance of Sravanam here which enables the others.
Annamalai Swami's talks are no less  that an upanishad for that matter.

For me though I  have given up lot of external activities ,still I feel I am not yet prepared for the "direct way to direct Path " and use the traditional methodology for self knowledge .As I said interest is one thing , commitment is another .While I do have interest in Jnana Marga , my samskaras are more in Yoga marga and it will have to be followed till it takes a natural shift to Jnana Marga .
Anyway thanks for your inputs .
Om Peace .
However many holy words you read, however many you speak, what good will they do you if you do not act on upon them? - Buddha

Nagaraj

• View Profile
« Reply #124 on: December 22, 2012, 10:26:38 AM »
Udai/Friends,

"Dont want for "Sadhana Chatushtayam". From my experience, I improved in them as I kept hearing guru ji. Start with Sravana."

Translation:My Experience is universal.Others can take it as a Reference.

Sri Ravi, that is how it sounds to me as well. :)

"Only if a man gets a command from God,
after realizing Him, is he entitled to teach."

"Again, the worldly man is like a snake trying to swallow a mole. The snake can neither swallow the mole nor
give it up. The bound soul may have realized that there is no substance to the world-that the world is like a
hog plum, only stone and skin-but still he cannot give it up and turn his mind to God.

"One day as I was passing the Panchavati on my way to the pine-grove, I heard a bullfrog croaking. I thought
it must have been seized by a snake. After some time, as I was coming back, I could still hear its terrified
croaking. I looked to see what was the matter, and found that a water-snake had seized it. The snake could
neither swallow it nor give it up. So there was no end to the frog's suffering. I thought that had it been
seized by a cobra it would have been silenced after three croaks at the most. As it was only a water-snake,
both of them had to go through this agony. A man's ego is destroyed after three croaks, as it were, if he gets
into the clutches of a real teacher. But if the teacher is an 'unripe' one, then both the teacher and the disciple
undergo endless suffering. The disciple cannot get rid either of his ego or of the shackles of the world. If a
disciple falls into the clutches of an incompetent teacher, he doesn't attain liberation."

- The Gospel of Sri Ramakrishna

only creates confusion, for oneself and others.

॥ शांतमात्मनि तिष्ट ॥
Remain quietly in the Self.
~ Vasishta

Nagaraj

• View Profile
« Reply #125 on: December 22, 2012, 10:31:55 AM »
All the great struggle by Sri Tushnim in his elucidations of truth, indirectly aspires to announce his enlightenment, in the guise of suggestions and pointers, that is the hidden motive as i see, may be from my own glasses, one may say! i had to express.

॥ शांतमात्मनि तिष्ट ॥
~ Vasishta

Ravi.N

• View Profile
« Reply #126 on: December 22, 2012, 10:33:53 AM »
Udai,
Do not use annamalai swami as a Proxy.We are not discussing annamalai swami.My comment refers to your saying there is 'No Goal' and using Annamalai Swami's statements as a Reference.Swami is quite clear in what he is saying and I have clearly indicated what he means.
It is you who are creating this confusion in coming up with a 'No Goal' theory and at the same time saying 'Sadhana is required'.
It hardly matters whether one defines the 'Objective' of the Sadhana as a Goal or as a 'Measure'.It is needless hairsplitting and this is the result of too much reading of the scriptures.
To say that one has to Get rid of 'Suffering' is the same as to say One has to attain 'happiness'.One may say that attainment of Happiness is the Goal or Objective of Sadhana.
The Very fact that one has to do sadhana means that 'Happiness' is not yet attained!Period.
Namaskar.

Ravi.N

• View Profile
« Reply #127 on: December 22, 2012, 10:39:50 AM »
udai,
Do start that Asramam;you have My Blessings!I already have a sannyasa name for you:Sri Sri Swami Sastrananda :)
I will ensure that Lotus flowers are offered at your feet as pada puja.

Ravi.N

• View Profile
« Reply #128 on: December 22, 2012, 10:51:08 AM »
udai,
Happiness is essential and not optional.The Goal is already built into our firmware.There is a difference between Hunger and artificial appetite.It is the artifice that has to Be dropped.The Search for happiness(sadhana)is intrinsic.It is not something that one can turn 'On' or 'Off'.If one can do that,that means that 'Sadhana' is something arbitrary and optional-and this means that one has to wait until 'Hunger' is felt for the natural Sadhana to take place.Until then,one may have no option but to continue to debate and discuss endlessly in Forums and carry on adinfinitum.
Namaskar

atmavichar100

• View Profile
« Reply #129 on: December 22, 2012, 11:29:08 AM »
Dear Atmavichar,
     :) Sravanam should be helping you there as well.
Just keep hearing from Parmarthananda ji.
While you listen: Have the Attitude that he is Ramana teaching you.
Hear with such an attitude.
To parmarthananda ji's teachings ...
and see what happens.

this is my suggestion. It works for most of our friends here.
But not many can hear Parmarthananda ji with the attitude that
Ramana himself is teaching.

Vedanta is a pramana ... means of knowledge. When you expose yourself
to it from a proper person who knows how to apply it ... you see the
difference.

This is my suggestion ... I have no Pramana to convince you, than to tell you
to verify it yourself. Listen to entire BG with that attitude and see yourself.

Like even ... Eyes see ... how do i convince you ... open the eyes and see.
thats all.
Sure Tushnim ,after a long gap ,I have restarted to listen to Swami Paramarthananda's talks and I enjoy it very much .
Well I do not want to bring Ramana while listening to him  :)
Bhagwan Ramana has his own flavor while conveying his answers to people's doubts and Swami Paramarthananda has his own flavor of conveying "Self Knowledge"  and Sri Ramakrishna Paramahamsa ,  Swami Sivananda , Kanchi Paramacharya , Sringeri Acharya ,etc have their own way of conveying the truth .
As I said in one of my earlier post : Sanathana Dharma is rich with these wide variety of Great men and their teachings and I enjoy everyone of them .
But personally  among Living persons I resonate more with Swami Paramarthananda and more than that I have personal access to him to clear any doubts with regard to Advaita Vedanta and other matters connected to Sanathana Dharma .
Om Peace .
« Last Edit: December 22, 2012, 11:31:11 AM by atmavichar100 »
However many holy words you read, however many you speak, what good will they do you if you do not act on upon them? - Buddha

Ravi.N

• View Profile
« Reply #130 on: December 22, 2012, 03:26:14 PM »
udai,
This is what Sri Ramakrishna says:
"When the log burns, it makes a crackling noise and one sees the flame. But when the burning is over and only ash remains, then no more noise is heard. Thirst disappears
with the destruction of attachment. Finally comes peace.
"The nearer you come to God, the more you feel peace. Peace, peace, peace-supreme peace! The nearer you come to the Ganges, the more you feel its coolness. You will feel
completely soothed when you plunge into the river."

Namaskar.

Ravi.N

• View Profile
« Reply #131 on: December 23, 2012, 08:37:24 AM »
udai,

" then no more noise is heard"
 :) He meant stop hearing [and searching for noise] ;)  :D LOL! 

Yes,he also means to stop seeing too many varieties of smileys and LOL!(LOL-Silence needs to temper this as well)

---just suggesting. :)

Namaskar.

Beloved Abstract

• View Profile
    • David Ford Art
« Reply #132 on: December 23, 2012, 06:21:14 PM »
 ::)
simply stop telling the story of the self and see who you are without it

Nagaraj

• View Profile
« Reply #133 on: December 27, 2012, 08:00:06 PM »
no need to eliminate the ghosts. Like a child goes to its mother, go to a Guru, rest will be taken care. We are not asked to do anything external

Why did Lord Krishna waste 18 chapters? He could have just told Arjuna "go to a guru and rest will be taken care" :).

For clarity of thread, i present my complete sentence as provided by you in the above quote:

no need to eliminate the ghosts. Like a child goes to its mother, go to a Guru, rest will be taken care. We are not asked to do anything external, in this case, we are already acquainted with the teachings of Bhagavan and therefore we are asked to enquire, who is it that wants to eliminate the ghosts, nothing else.

:)
Sri Sanjay, kindly see again, nothing has been conveyed that is not in line of teachings of Bhagavan.

॥ शांतमात्मनि तिष्ट ॥
~ Vasishta

Nagaraj

• View Profile
« Reply #134 on: December 27, 2012, 08:07:24 PM »
Sri Tushnim,

new forum policing :D buddy, your locking the topic was i felt misplaced.

॥ शांतमात्मनि तिष्ट ॥
~ Vasishta