Author Topic: Common Discussion  (Read 32330 times)

Ravi.N

• View Profile
Re: Common Discussion
« Reply #45 on: November 02, 2012, 11:10:24 AM »
udai,
Sri Ramakrishna spoke and addressed his teachings to people from all walks of life.This point is to be noted.Interpreting his teachings is not the point.Stating what happened alone is possible.Please do not think that you alone understand and correctly interpret his teachings-That your watch alone is Right!It is your watch and may show time for you to live by.That need not be a reference for others.
Not stating Facts as they happened is a form of falsehood;one that a seeker should be conscious of and eliminate.
Namaskar.

Ravi.N

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: November 02, 2012, 11:33:23 AM »
udai,
If it is from memory,one has to state that it may not be accurate.Or else,as you said that the Gospel of Sri Ramakrishna is available online,does it take time to refer and post?
What Sri Ramakrishna has said is all that we can be sure about,and our interpretations are just our fanciful thoughts;It is simply because we imagine that someone like sri Ramakrishna cannot be 'Troubled'.

This is what sri Ramakrishna has said:
""Not all, by any means, can recognize an Incarnation of God. Assuming a human body, the
Incarnation falls victim to disease, grief, hunger, thirst, and all such things, like ordinary
mortals. Rama wept for Sita. 'Brahman weeps, entrapped in the snare of the five elements."

The JnAni also experiences pain,sorrow etc ,only he does not succumb to it.He comes out of it the very next moment.If this is not so,the very advent of such avataras is useless,as their primary purpose is to show ordinary humans that they can also elevate themselves likewise.

If the Body's hunger is admissible for a jnAni,why baulk at mind's sorrow as equally admissible,as long as none of these is binding on him in any way!Is it not our fanciful thinking that the jnAni is living in some ivory tower existence?

Namaskar

Ravi.N

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: November 02, 2012, 11:52:29 AM »
udai,
"People understand as per their abilities"

People understand as they like to. :)

We unconsciously justify ourselves.If it is a matter of understanding,we will not be contesting this topic to have the last word on it. :)

I just quote sri Ramakrishna and do not seek to interpret him;I recall your asking me to do so earlier.It is for the reader/seeker to understand it,more than understand it ,assimilate it.To assimilate it is to live it.The very teaching of Sri Ramakrishna is to let this assimilation take place in a spontaneous and natural way,as opposed to all the usual class room type of Studied,over analysed way that only paralyses.Leave it to Sri Ramakrishna;His teachings have an inherent power to illuminate and does not need the support of our 'fire-fly' illumination to get it across to others.

Namaskar.

Ravi.N

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: November 02, 2012, 01:24:33 PM »
Udai,
Yes,such things may happen in real life too. :)

"That it has only to be quoted is an interpretation!"

I do not see it that way.In fact M has avoided this pitfall of interpretation in The Gospel Of Sri Ramakrishna.He just recorded it as he saw and heard it.This is what Swami Vivekananda wote to 'M':

The two pamphlets in English entitled the Gospel of Sri Ramakrishna appeared in October and November 1897. They drew the spontaneous acclamation of Swami Vivekananda, who wrote on 24th November of that year from Dehra Dun to M.:"Many many thanks for your second leaflet. It is indeed wonderful. The move is quite original, and never was the life of a Great Teacher brought before the public untarnished by the writer's mind, as you are doing. The language also is beyond all praise, — so fresh, so pointed, and withal so plain and easy. I cannot express in adequate terms how I have enjoyed them. I am really in a transport when I read them. Strange, isn't it? Our Teacher and Lord was so original, and each one of us will have to be original or nothing. I now understand why none of us attempted His life before. It has been reserved for you, this great work. He is with you evidently." (Vedanta Kesari Vol. XIX P. 141. Also given in the first edition of the Gospel published from Ramakrishna Math, Madras in 1911.)

And Swamiji added a post script to the letter: "Socratic dialogues are Plato all over — you are entirely hidden. Moreover, the dramatic part is infinitely beautiful. Everybody likes it — here or in the West."

M knew that Sri Ramakrishna's teachings have an inherent simplicity and power to reach the Readers and never sought to interpose himself.

Namaskar.

Ravi.N

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: November 02, 2012, 01:27:22 PM »
Udai/Friends,
There is this story attributed to Einstein:

Einstein and his blindfriend. This story shows how complex Einstein could be. Not long after his arrival in Princeton he was invited, by the wife of one of the professors of mathematics at Princeton, to be guest of honor at a tea.-Reluctantly, Einstein consented. After the tea had progressed for a time, the excited hostess, thrilled to have such an eminent guest of honor, fluttered out into the center of activity and with raised arms silenced the group. Bubbling out some words expressing her thrill and pleasure, she turned to Einstein and said: "I wonder, Dr. Einstein, if you would be so kind as to explain to my guests in a few words, just what is relativity theory ? "

Without any hesitation Einstein rose to his feet and told a story. He said he was reminded of a walk he one day had with his blind friend. The day was hot and he turned to the blind friend and said, "I wish I had a glass of milk."

"Glass," replied the blind friend, "I know what that is. But what do you mean by milk?"

"Why, milk is a white fluid," explained Einstein.

"Now fluid, I know what that is," said the blind man. "but what is white ? "

" Oh, white is the color of a swan's feathers."

" Feathers, now I know what they are, but what is a swan ? "

"A swan is a bird with a crooked neck."

" Neck, I know what that is, but what do you mean by crooked ? "

At this point Einstein said he lost his patience. He seized his blind friend's arm and pulled it straight. "There, now your arm is straight," he said. Then he bent the blind friend's arm at the elbow. "Now it is crooked."

"Ah," said the blind friend. "Now I know what milk is."

And Einstein, at the tea, sat down.

Our interpretations are quite like this. :)
Namaskar.

Ravi.N

• View Profile
« Reply #50 on: November 02, 2012, 02:09:06 PM »
Udai,
Sri Ramakrishna's teachings need no explanation;If the needed it,he would have done so;It is just that we are fond of spinning yarn around simple things and would like to call that as our vision. :)
Vivekananda taught the Upanishads;he never tried to explain Sri Ramakrishna's words.
Namaskar.

Ravi.N

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: November 02, 2012, 04:24:01 PM »
Udai,
I am not impressed. :)
You seem to be acknowledging a minor slip and covering up the major ones -you also said that Ramakrishna did that to teach Vivekananda,etc.Was Naren in need of learning that lesson?
Anyway,I will leave it at that.
Namaskar.

Ravi.N

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: November 02, 2012, 04:45:47 PM »
udai,
"But I am inspired by Sri Ramakrishna  !   
how would you explain that event sir?"

May be that is what you think. :)

I hope you know that Naren was not impressed for almost the major part of the time he spent with Sri Ramakrishna;he even thought Sri Ramakrishna was unbalanced;yet he was drawn to him by his genuine Love.
We do not love our Mother because she is the wisest,or She Is Learned or she is the Most beautiful.She may be a unlettered ,old woman;there need be nothing impressive about her.We may yet be inspired by her Love and Grateful for that.

It is always the mind that gets impressed and if inspiration depends on that,it most likely is a Glorified self adulation only. :)

In your case,it is for you to see.(Vision?) :) 

Namaskar.       

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: November 02, 2012, 04:48:53 PM »
Dear Ravi,

If I am correct, Sri Vikekananda wanted to choose some other guru. Somehow He did not succeed and Sri Ramakrishna
remained His guru through his life.

Arunachala Siva.

ramana_maharshi

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: November 02, 2012, 04:49:10 PM »
http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Is_Swamy_Vivekananda_a_smoker

"i saw his smoking pipe at the ramakrishna museum in belurmath, kolkata. He mentioned about the criticism he faced for his habit of smoking in his book "swami vivekananda on himself".

http://www.vivekananda.net/LettersToVivekananda.html
(see last letter - this is not someone's opinion - it's a report of what they saw or know)

http://www.vivekananda.net/ReminiscenesOnSwami/AliceHansbrough.html

"'Was he a heavy smoker?'
 'No. He would smoke after breakfast, lunch, and dinner, but never to excess"

Wondering what made him smoke and drink wine???

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: November 02, 2012, 04:52:45 PM »
Dear prasanth,

These are not all important. Even Sri Bhagavan chewed Ganja, chewed pan, had snuff for some time.
These do not affect their state of Self Realization.
Nisargadatta used to smoke beedis.

Arunachala Siva. 

Ravi.N

• View Profile
« Reply #56 on: November 02, 2012, 04:54:01 PM »
Subramanian,
No,that is not at all true.I will post later on this.
Namaskar.

Ravi.N

• View Profile
« Reply #57 on: November 02, 2012, 04:56:18 PM »
Prashant,
Wonder why you are asking the question.Sri Ramakrishna also used to smoke.They were never addicts.
Namaskar.

ramana_maharshi

• View Profile
« Reply #58 on: November 02, 2012, 05:50:16 PM »
Oh yes i know ravi garu sri ramakrishna even used to eat fish which is bengali tradition.

swami nityananda once had intimate relationship with one disciple but he was never sex addict!

so shall we spare him as well subramanian garu?

In 2012, Swami Nithyananda was named by Watkins' Mind Body Spirit magazine as one of the 100 Most Spiritually Influential Living People in the world.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swami_Nithyananda

Surely his disciples will say his intimate relationship with one disciple does not effect his self-realisation!

sometimes i feel is it better to seek swmai/guru who dont have much publicity and fan-following  :)

« Last Edit: November 02, 2012, 05:58:44 PM by prasanth_ramana_maharshi »

ramana_maharshi

• View Profile
« Reply #59 on: November 02, 2012, 06:05:03 PM »
i completly understand your thoughts udai garu.

But i lost a discussion battle with one of my friend when i supported vivekananda.

He asked me what is the necessity to drink/smoke for the person of such calibar!

i tried to defend him but honestly i could not give him proper answer in the end!

Regarding sri ramakrishna guru eating fish i cannot understand why do u think it is no fault sir?

For me it is no fault only if animals does not have soul which is not the case as explained by our guru ramana?

If people cannot control their weekness how do u expect their disciples to listen to them sir?

even i read his teachings which are great but cannot understand why most of swami's gurus cannot control their weekness?